ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Northwestern

13th to tied 7th in just a couple of weeks. Wow. Big standing game with Minny (tied with us) coming up..

1. Glad we didn't fire Pike
2. Glad we didn't cut Oskar and Fernandes
3. This isn't an Eddie Jordan level team
Yes,Yes,and Yes. Plus to complete what you’re saying add:

4. Many of our posters are idiots without any hoops IQ

Reactions: shields
We have to be realistic about Mag and it's not a matter of whether the team can win with or without him, they already proved the could rally and win without him last night.

The team needs some contributing factor that Mag brings to the table, but I am suggesting 14 to 16 minutes a game the rest of the year, vs expecting 25 to 26 minutes as a starter. Some Mag is better than asking him to play 25 to 26 minutes where his knee or knees may not be ready to continue at that pace.

We also would not have any chance vs Minnesota if Cliff didn't play, if JWill didn't play or even JMike doesn't play.....I have to actually include Simpson and Ogbole to that equation.

5 blocks from Cliff and obviously critical rebounds.

3 blocks from JWill to go along with a steal, 5 rebounds, 15 PTS and 5 assists.

4 steals, 8 PTS from Simpson and extremely good defense, which is taxing on the body and legs.....

And not just good but for a freshman, elite level defense from JMike, who slowed down a very good guard in Buie.

Minnesota backcourt is extremely effective, especially Christie, who has been B1G frosh of the week multiple times already this year. We have to impact their guards to win Sunday night. Garcia needs his guards to find him with open opportunities, the defense can't allow their guards to get 15 to 18 pts each.

If that means we get something from Mag in the remaining 6 to 7 games, then we may have to digest a bit less of him on the floor. If he couldn't go tonight, I would not logically think he's going to play 25 to 26 minutes 3 days later. Maybe 12 to 14 minutes to see how he looks or can play is more important.

This roster with JWill controlling the tempo for 25 to 28 minutes and Ogbole helping Cliff for his rest is important. I can't see any path beating NW or anyone left on the schedule, without some elite defense from Simpson and Davis mixed with JWill.

Mag could not go tonight and while that threw everything out of whack, so did the countless mistakes, losing track of Buie in the 1st half. We needed to adjust and we did. If JMike doesn't play like a junior or upperclassmen, we are discussing a very different game outcome today.

The entire roster pulled together and overcame Mag not playing for 1 game. Do I think that can happen for the remainder of the year?? NO, But I'm willing to take 14 to 16 minutes of Mag in each game, vs thinking he's going to play or be effective for 25 to 26 minutes the rest of the year. The team and I think the staff needed to see others step up in his absence.
No one really knows what’s going on with Mawot. Obviously they’re different, but Caleb tweaked his back ahead of Wisconsin and sat out, but then played 25, 32, 34 minutes his next three.

Mag was on the floor warming up at some stage Thursday, so they must’ve thought he was close.

Reactions: Scangg
Agree with all here; Buie is soooo talented, but man he uses his elbow almost every time he drives to the basket. Cliff going down would have lost us the game, so just happy we b pulled this out shooting poorly, but man can we play D, just crazy
He pushes off on his drives. He did on the one to end the half, he shouldve gotten an offensive foul and we shouldve shot free throws.

We have to be realistic about Mag and it's not a matter of whether the team can win with or without him, they already proved the could rally and win without him last night.

The team needs some contributing factor that Mag brings to the table, but I am suggesting 14 to 16 minutes a game the rest of the year, vs expecting 25 to 26 minutes as a starter. Some Mag is better than asking him to play 25 to 26 minutes where his knee or knees may not be ready to continue at that pace.

We also would not have any chance vs Minnesota if Cliff didn't play, if JWill didn't play or even JMike doesn't play.....I have to actually include Simpson and Ogbole to that equation.

5 blocks from Cliff and obviously critical rebounds.

3 blocks from JWill to go along with a steal, 5 rebounds, 15 PTS and 5 assists.

4 steals, 8 PTS from Simpson and extremely good defense, which is taxing on the body and legs.....

And not just good but for a freshman, elite level defense from JMike, who slowed down a very good guard in Buie.

Minnesota backcourt is extremely effective, especially Christie, who has been B1G frosh of the week multiple times already this year. We have to impact their guards to win Sunday night. Garcia needs his guards to find him with open opportunities, the defense can't allow their guards to get 15 to 18 pts each.

If that means we get something from Mag in the remaining 6 to 7 games, then we may have to digest a bit less of him on the floor. If he couldn't go tonight, I would not logically think he's going to play 25 to 26 minutes 3 days later. Maybe 12 to 14 minutes to see how he looks or can play is more important.

This roster with JWill controlling the tempo for 25 to 28 minutes and Ogbole helping Cliff for his rest is important. I can't see any path beating NW or anyone left on the schedule, without some elite defense from Simpson and Davis mixed with JWill.

Mag could not go tonight and while that threw everything out of whack, so did the countless mistakes, losing track of Buie in the 1st half. We needed to adjust and we did. If JMike doesn't play like a junior or upperclassmen, we are discussing a very different game outcome today.

The entire roster pulled together and overcame Mag not playing for 1 game. Do I think that can happen for the remainder of the year?? NO, But I'm willing to take 14 to 16 minutes of Mag in each game, vs thinking he's going to play or be effective for 25 to 26 minutes the rest of the year. The team and I think the staff needed to see others step up in his absence.
With Hawk's track record on Mag takes, lock in Mag starting and getting 25+ min

JD's defensive was absolutely excellent on some of the 2nd half posessions and very good the entire half. He did foul Bouie at the end though.
I don't know why, after Oskar's first half, he don't even try to get him a look in his second half stint to see if he's still feeling it.
I cringe every time Simpson pushes the pace because it's as likely to lead to a turnover as it is something good, but he contributes through out in other ways. He reminds me a little of Caleb in his confidence in their offense despite not actually being good at it.
We don't win any future game with out Cliff. Love Ogbole's size, but otherwise he hasn't shown much yet.
Our strict rotation schedule continues to baffle me. Make a run to get within one, wholesale changes. Cliff finally gets the ball in the post and scores, straight to the bench.
This teams games are always entertaining, even with poor offense.

JD's defensive was absolutely excellent on some of the 2nd half posessions and very good the entire half. He did foul Bouie at the end though.
I don't know why, after Oskar's first half, he don't even try to get him a look in his second half stint to see if he's still feeling it.
I cringe every time Simpson pushes the pace because it's as likely to lead to a turnover as it is something good, but he contributes through out in other ways. He reminds me a little of Caleb in his confidence in their offense despite not actually being good at it.
We don't win any future game with out Cliff. Love Ogbole's size, but otherwise he hasn't shown much yet.
Our strict rotation schedule continues to baffle me. Make a run to get within one, wholesale changes. Cliff finally gets the ball in the post and scores, straight to the bench.
This teams games are always entertaining, even with poor offense.
That was no foul by JMike or Cliff at the last shot. As shown in one of the pictures both guys stand straight up and Boo tries to thrust into them and flails hoping to get the foul call. That was a good and proper no call as Buie initiated and created all contact.

That was no foul by JMike or Cliff at the last shot. As shown in one of the pictures both guys stand straight up and Boo tries to thrust into them and flails hoping to get the foul call. That was a good and proper no call as Buie initiated and created all contact.
JD was not straight up at the beginning of the play and of course Bouie tries to draw some contact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT