ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Nebraska Pt. 2

This was unfortunately the case this year. At one point, I had posted that Pike should shorten the rotation, on the ground that this is what most good teams do.

The problem — as you correctly note — is that we could never rely on the same 7 or 8 guys. Every player on this team is so inconsistent from game to game that Pike really just had to play the players who were playing well within individual games. Tonight is case in point with Woolf and Gavin. The Wisky game with Noah, who otherwise was a no show this year. Etc.

This is what you get when the entire roster — with the exception of JWill and I suppose Cliff — are role players on any other team. But we had many of those guys starting throughout the year.

Can’t shorten the rotation under these roster circumstances.
The players made it really tough on Pike this year

Noah started as a starter and played himself completely out of the rotation until a recent resurgence

Hyatt was maybe our most consistent player for a big part of the early season and regressed as the year went on

Gavin flashed in a couple games early but then was horrible on both ends most of the season until recent better play

A Will played his way into the starting lineup back to out of the rotation

Wolf went from starter to 3rd string DNPs then a surprise good game today

Then other players locked into big minutes have good and bad games throughout the season

This was unfortunately the case this year. At one point, I had posted that Pike should shorten the rotation, on the ground that this is what most good teams do.

The problem — as you correctly note — is that we could never rely on the same 7 or 8 guys. Every player on this team is so inconsistent from game to game that Pike really just had to play the players who were playing well within individual games. Tonight is case in point with Woolf and Gavin. The Wisky game with Noah, who otherwise was a no show this year. Etc.

This is what you get when the entire roster — with the exception of JWill and I suppose Cliff — are role players on any other team. But we had many of those guys starting throughout the year.

Can’t shorten the rotation under these roster circumstances.
I hear you and Scangg. And agree with some of it. It’s just really sad that three years from the hou game our roster is littered with mid major role players who may or may not play on other B1G teams. That’s on Pike that his options are so poor In these games.

I hear you and Scangg. And agree with some of it. It’s just really sad that three years from the hou game our roster is littered with mid major role players who may or may not play on other B1G teams. That’s on Pike that his options are so poor In these games.
Pike got screwed by Ndongo Cam and Paul all leaving late

im just so over this roster and this team and season, i cannot even write proper recaps or want to engage in discussion because it futile....i said way back when people were asking how to fix this....the answer was you cannot. Its just a mediocre team that can play some elite defense at times with some of the worst offensive skills in D1

I agree with the subbing patterns and mass subs
Been saying this all year and it really frustrated the hell out of me. That is on the staff.

Also I watch other teams and their players remain in the court for long stretches at times yet we constantly swap out players and usually multiple at a time. I really thought the staff would have limited the roster by this point but they seem Stuck in their ways

Starting 5 for me:
jwill
Noah
Mag (if healthy otherwise Simpson)
Hyatt OR Gavin (prefer off the bench for now until you heat check Hyatt)
Cliff

JMike needs to come off the bench and be a spark.
Simpson
Gavin

Limit minutes below:
Austin is a role player and subs for breathers
Woolf OR Ogbole for cliff but limited unless foul trouble

Reactions: darkcheck
im just so over this roster and this team and season, i cannot even write proper recaps or want to engage in discussion because it futile....i said way back when people were asking how to fix this....the answer was you cannot. Its just a mediocre team that can play some elite defense at times with some of the worst offensive skills in D1
If I see Simpson drive aimlessly into the trees or blow a fast break one more time 🙉

• Angry
Reactions: bac2therac
Ndongo followed his recruiter, not really screwed, we let Hobbs walk. Didnt Paul get recruited over for Noah. Cams timing sucked but if we could have paid him……Sadly all part of recruiting now. I will agree that NIL isnt Pikes fault. It’s Geos. Lol. Seriously Pike has his hands tied with NIL

Hawk says you’re wrong and is writing a novel to explain to you how this is the best team Pike ever had. ;-)

If fans have expectations about Nebraska or Wisconsin being games RU could win, then you can't get upset and say how inept the roster or starters are.

The game was ultimately decided vs Nebraska via Williams Allick and Mast arrived via the portal to essentially replace Derrick Walker etc

The players who were limited as starters like CJ Wilcher or probably overwhelmed as starters like Lawrence for Nebraska, had slightly reduced roles. It's kinda been the opposite for the last 2 years for RU, but it needed to happen this year for obvious reasons.

As much as we like our defense and being ranked 3rd in the country, it's not going to be much different next year. The only hope or expectation is about roles and putting players 2 slots below where they can be competitive and comfortable.

We tried in the last 2 years putting Caleb, Paul, Cam and Mag into starting roles and asking them to play as complete players and now it's essentially the same this year with Mag, Davis, Simpson and this trio provides good to great defense in most cases. You just can't ask or expect any of the 3 to get you 10 PTS or make timely plays.

The difference now is we have bench strength being developed and starting caliber players coming in OR players who "could" be starters like Gavin, being put into the place where they're going to get better as underclassmen. I kinda expected a performance from Gavin like this 6 to 8 weeks ago but it's been a lot of improvement in a short amount of time.

I am not surprised at how good of a playmaker JWill is, he's confident and the player RU needs. We just need another wing or bigger guard/ player like JWill via the portal.

Finding a shooter who can't defend or rebound or handle the ball and make plays is NOT the solution for next year. A shooter who's is one dimensional, just creates another incomplete player, who we have to "coach around ".

We don't have to coach around JWill, he provides enough things at an above average level, to not have to be a 38% 3 Pt shooter. We have a 38% 3 point shooter now in Noah and had an even better shooter last year in Cam and the same problems present themselves. Shooters need to actually make plays beyond shooting, because half of the games where shooters "miss", they need to do something else well.

If we find another 6"4 to 6'6 player who can help bring the ball up and let Dylan and Ace freelance on defense and create on offense, we are set.

In terms of next year, I'm committed to finding minutes for all 5 freshman next year or at worse 4 of the 5 on the court for at least 18 minutes a game. I don't have any doubts that Dortch and Grant can defend at a high level like JMike and Simpson....and willing to wait for their offense to develop off the bench.

In terms of tonight's game bashing Hyatt, Cliff, Simpson etc, it's really not warranted.....starters next year are going to have bad shooting nights.....the upside next year will have Lathan giving RU a Wolf like game 8 to 10 times next year instead of once.....or Dortch and Grant getting key rebounds off the bench, that we gave up to Nebraska. We got starter level bench numbers (Wolf for Cliff, Gavin for Hyatt, Noah for Davis or Simpson)......what we didn't get were plays made by those players off the bench or left points on the FT line (Wolf, Austin etc).

The game was lost with 3 to 5 possessions where Tominaga got a 4 PT play, a reverse layup at 1 second on the shot clock and giving up too many 2nd chances....the shots we miss can get better with better looks or shot selection, BUT we have to play Dortch, Grant and Lathan and ask them to get rebounds, plays made that Oskar, Hyatt, Mag (when he played) and Noah just don't get enough of.

The better teams get better down the stretch of the season. I know it doesn't appear that way now for RU, but RU isn't losing 6 of 8 down the stretch like last year. It's won 5 of 9 and most of what I see, immediately translates over to next year. We will just have 9 to 10 legitimate players on the roster, as opposed to maybe 2 to 3 now.

Last edited:
This feels like a wasted season to me because it seems like the freshmen and sophomores did not show improvement as the season went on. I don't mind having a bad season, but it would have been more palatable if you could have said, "Well, look how much better these got by the end of the year."

Player development needs major improvement to complement the talent of Bailey,Harper and Somerville.

Reactions: darkcheck
No one said JMike had a good game. He's also a freshman

Simpson is somehow shooting worse than his poor shooting freshman season

JMike shot 50% or better in 4 of the last 5 games prior to tonight. Simpson has 4 of those games all season

Why can't you simply admit Simpson had a bad game? If you asked Simpson, I'm sure he would say he had a bad game
In the long game there’s no way to have a high level winning team with a point guard that can’t make foul shots and 1 and 1s are nothing but turnovers

If I see Simpson drive aimlessly into the trees or blow a fast break one more time 🙉
I'm like this when Hyatt misses his first beyond the arc.🤬
I say to myself it's going to be that kind of night ...and put chicken wire around my TV screen for later

This feels like a wasted season to me because it seems like the freshmen and sophomores did not show improvement as the season went on. I don't mind having a bad season, but it would have been more palatable if you could have said, "Well, look how much better these got by the end of the year."
JMike and Gavin both have clearly gotten better and shown improvement

Reactions: DRC79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT