ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction — Purdue

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. You can’t shoot 26.5% (with 0-8 from deep) and only score 20 points in the first half and expect to beat Purdue. The shame of it is that most of our shots in the first half were good looks and bunnies, but we just couldn’t hit shots to save our lives.

2. Edey was a monster today, repeatedly getting deep position in the paint, so he would either score or we would hack him. And he hits his foul shots.

3. Overall, we played a good defensive game. Only Edey and Smith hurt us, with a little Gillis in the first half. Nobody else for Purdue was able to get comfortable on offense. If we have just a MEDIOCRE offense instead of a colossally bad offense, we win this game.

4. Free throws killed us again, with Cliff 3-6, GG 1-2, and the team 8-13 overall. Meanwhile, Purdue was 19-26 for 76%.

5. The freshmen played well today. JMike had 9 points (4-5), 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. Gavin finally looked like he belonged on the court today. Only shot 3-11, but those were big buckets, and he finished with 8 points off the bench. And he didn’t look lost on defense for the most part.

6. As noted above, we played good enough defense to win today. But even with a good second half surge (40 points), we still only finished 24-64 for 38%, and 4-16 from deep (25%). If we just hit two of those misses from 3-point range, we’re right there.

7. Hyatt quietly had a solid game with 15 points and 4 rebounds, but his 0-4 from deep in the first half (and 2-9 for the game) hurt the offense. We needed Hyatt to have a solid to good shooting day to have a chance in this game, but it didn’t happen until it was too late.

8. Mag had his second consecutive no-show game today. Color me concerned that his knee is bothering him, and he’s hitting a wall perhaps. He didn’t play much in the 2nd half.

9. I hate to say it, but I’m just glad we didn’t get embarrassed on national TV, and we actually made this a pretty good game for the viewing audience, cutting the lead to 55-53 at one point. Moral victory? Well, no. But I thought we would get blown out today and instead we gave the #2 team in the country a scare on national TV.

Last edited:
#8. Mag had his second consecutive no-show game today. Color me concerned that his knee is bothering him, and he’s hitting a wall perhaps. He didn’t play much in the 2nd half.

Agreed he hasn't been the same since he got a little dinged-up 2 games ago.

Reactions: Scangg
Degaz, I agree on all points, especially numbers 5 and 9. The only thing I slightly disagree with this quote of yours, "Moral victory? Well, no." Like you, Rutgers under Pike has been to the mountain and have succeeded, especially against Purdue and Indiana. With that said, this team this year is so offensively challenged; the fact that we came back and made it a close game, I will take as a moral victory. I realize, a couple of made shots here and a couple of made FT's there, we could have won this game. But for me, Pike's defensive schemes were outstanding, and we finally need to see Gavin play more minutes, gain even more confidence, and let Jamichael run the offense. Simpson is so streaky, and he misses so many bunnies and 12-foot jump shots that I don't believe the offense should run through him. He's just too inconsistent.

All in all, I was disappointed that we didn't pull this game out, but I am also hopeful that some of the aforementioned younger guys will prepare themselves well for next season.

Last edited:
Can we please stop with the play Oskar over GG BS…….this dude needs to get experience, we’re not winning games anyway this year.
I am obviouly not Pike.

This game wasnt won and we needed it.

I am now fine looking long term.

I am playing Cliff 30 and everyone else who played today between 15-28 minutes. Maybe Oskar gets 5.

Reactions: RAC93
Degas, I agree on all points, especially numbers 5 and 9. The only thing I slightly disagree with this quote of yours, "Moral victory? Well, no." Like you, Rutgers under Pike has been to the mountain and have succeeded, especially against Purdue and Indiana. With that said, this team this year is so offensively challenged; the fact that we came back and made it a close game, I will take as a moral victory. I realize, a couple of made shots here and a couple of made FT's there, we could have won this game. But for me, Pike's defensive schemes were outstanding, and we finally need to see Gavin play more minutes, gain even more confidence, and let Jamichael run the offense. Simpson is so streaky, and he misses so many bunnies and 12-foot jump shots that I don't believe the offense should run through him. He's just too inconsistent.

All in all, I was disappointed that we didn't pull this game out, but I am also hopeful that some of the aforementioned younger guys will prepare themselves well for next season.
Don’t forget just 2 horrible turnovers in the backcourt!!

Rutgers held Purdue to 17 points below their average and still loss by eight points.The woeful offense in the first half was too much to overcome.Every time Rutgers got within four points Purdue would pass the ball to Edey and he would make the basket or get fouled.There were too many unforced turnovers and too many players shooting bricks.The RAC crowd kept the team in the game but the absence of 3 pointers made the effort to get the lead at crunch time too hard to overcome.It was great seeing Jordan.Copeland ,Dabney and Bailey at the game.

- JMike and Gavin were tested today against the #2 team in the country and showed that they’re up to the task.
- Cliff with another good game offensively. Has he turned the corner on that end of the court?
- Needed more from Hyatt and anything at all from Mag to win this game.

Love Pike but he has to change up how he prepares his team.

Slow starts are absolutely killing us. No excuse to fall behind every single game.

The RAC was the RAC.

Inexcusable that once again with one of the great home court crowds in the country, we never ever get the benefit of the fouls. First half was ridiculous.

Purdue won this game due to the fouls and converting at the line. Purdue went to the line twice as much as RU. 19-26 v 8-13. 11 point differential is the ball game.

Edey gets away with a bit too much, three seconds, steps, elbows and using his body. He’s as good as advertised but still…

Laughing at all the complaints of Oskar. Oskar isn’t the problem. Oskar had more rebounds in the first half than Mag whose first half line was 0-0-0. Second game in a row where he not only disappeared but hurt us.

Thought JMike had his best game. Kudos.

Gavin almost broke Morton’s ankles on several occasions. He looked confident. Big shots got us back in the game. He has to hit foul shots. Too good to miss so many. Nice game. Welcome back.

Thought at times Cliff was trying too hard but all in all against the best player in the country, played very well.

Hyatt another stellar game. Solid all around game.

Thought Simpson was quietly effective. Outside shots starting to fall. Williams rebounded well. Fernandes was fine.

Our guards caused more turnovers for Purdue. Wonder if Purdue is final four good? Teams with good guards, UNC could be trouble.

We out rebounded then. With nothing from Mag. If he’s injured or hurting not helping.

To all the naysayers who don’t think our defense is elite….

Purdue averages almost 86 points per game. We held them to 68 and 19 of which were the line. We are elite defensively.

I don’t believe in moral victories but nonetheless not a bad loss.

Got to get Penn State.

Last edited:
Can’t keep falling behind by double digits at end of first half and expect to win specially against Purdue.

Coaching staff needs to figure out reasons why this keeps happening

Mag was a nothing today. . Not even doing dirty work. Had zero rebounds.

Was very encouraged by play of JMIke / Cliff and Gavin.

Foul on Loyer by Austin Williams was a killer

I am obviouly not Pike.

This game wasnt won and we needed it.

I am now fine looking long term.

I am playing Cliff 30 and everyone else who played today between 15-28 minutes. Maybe Oskar gets 5.
I was already at this point over a month ago, jump in the season is done and should be about development pool, the water’s great! This team only has at best, AT BEST, maybe 6 wins in it rest of way no matter who we play. Start JMike and Gavin, key pieces for next season who can get experience. I actually saw some fire and confidence from GG. At one point he wanted Simpson to throw him a lob for a dunk when he was on the baseline. Simpson missed it, of course, and Gavin was angry, threw his hands up, liked seeing the fire. This season is a dud anyway, play Gavin, play Gavin, play Gavin…….

Simpson missed it, of course, and Gavin was angry, threw his hands up, liked seeing the fire. This season is a dud anyway, play Gavin, play Gavin, play Gavin…….
i dont think that is a positive. Good fire is diving for a loose ball or taking a charge. Bad fire is showing up your teammates.

Gavin’s reaction to that play is telling in a different way. Ill bet he doesnt react that way if any other player on the team misses him.

1. You can’t shoot 26.5% (with 0-8 from deep) and only score 20 points in the first half and expect to beat Purdue. The shame of it is that most of our shots in the first half were good looks and bunnies, but we just couldn’t hit shots to save our lives.

2. Edey was a monster today, repeatedly getting deep position in the paint, so he would either score or we would hack him. And he hits his foul shots.

3. Overall, we played a good defensive game. Only Edey and Smith hurt us, with a little Gillis in the first half. Nobody else for Purdue was able to get comfortable on offense. If we have just a MEDIOCRE offense instead of a colossally bad offense, we win this game.

4. Free throws killed us again, with Cliff 3-6, GG 1-2, and the team 8-13 overall. Meanwhile, Purdue was 19-26 for 76%.

5. The freshmen played well today. JMike had 9 points (4-5), 4 rebounds, and 4 assists. Gavin finally looked like he belonged on the court today. Only shot 3-11, but those were big buckets, and he finished with 8 points off the bench. And he didn’t look lost on defense for the most part.

6. As noted above, we played good enough defense to win today. But even with a good second half surge (40 points), we still only finished 24-64 for 38%, and 4-16 from deep (25%). If we just hit two of those misses from 3-point range, we’re right there.

7. Hyatt quietly had a solid game with 15 points and 4 rebounds, but his 0-4 from deep in the first half (and 2-9 for the game) hurt the offense. We needed Hyatt to have a solid to good shooting day to have a chance in this game, but it didn’t happen until it was too late.

8. Mag had his second consecutive no-show game today. Color me concerned that his knee is bothering him, and he’s hitting a wall perhaps. He didn’t play much in the 2nd half.

9. I hate to say it, but I’m just glad we didn’t get embarrassed on national TV, and we actually made this a pretty good game for the viewing audience, cutting the lead to 55-53 at one point. Moral victory? Well, no. But I thought we would get blown out today and instead we gave the #2 team in the country a scare on national TV.
When you try to upset a team like Purdue, a single play or sequence can be the difference. Williams foul of Loyer was the play, Loyer making 3 while Cliff and Gavin went 1 of 2 was the sequence

Last edited:

#s 1 and 4!!!!!!! Also why do we continually dig huge early first half holes for ourselves

Felt like a year 1 or 2 Pike game, where I was just kind of happy we didn't get blown out after going down 14 early and by 13 at the half. We played well in many areas, outrebounding a team that doesn't get outrebounded, we defended well (nobody is going to stop Edey) and finally started making some shots in the 2nd half (shot 50% from the field and from three in the 2nd half), but there are still things we need to improve. Another terrible start hurt, the Mag no show hurt, and the missed FTs hurt. Nice to see what was probably Gavin's best B1G game. Great crowd.

Felt like a year 1 or 2 Pike game, where I was just kind of happy we didn't get blown out after going down 14 early and by 13 at the half. We played well in many areas, outrebounding a team that doesn't get outrebounded, we defended well (nobody is going to stop Edey) and finally started making some shots in the 2nd half (shot 50% from the field and from three in the 2nd half), but there are still things we need to improve. Another terrible start hurt, the Mag no show hurt, and the missed FTs hurt. Nice to see what was probably Gavin's best B1G game. Great crowd.
Hopefully the great crowd had an impact on Harrell (there on a visit)

Reactions: RUDiddy777

yeah in some ways this felt like a game from maybe the Bannon or Rice years where they play a top 10 team close, get within a possession but not enough oomph to pull it off despite the crowd. Honestly even at 2 or 3 point down I never quite felt we were going to get this one.

Reactions: RW90
yeah in some ways this felt like a game from maybe the Bannon or Rice years where they play a top 10 team close, get within a possession but not enough oomph to pull it off despite the crowd. Honestly even at 2 or 3 point down I never quite felt we were going to get this one.
Very similar to the 2018 game against Purdue. They were #3 at the time and blitzed us 23-11 in the first ten minutes. We rallied back and cut it to 2 multiple times but never took the lead or tied it.

Reactions: bac2therac
We were one Alpha-dog scorer (like RHJ) away from victory today. Hopefully help is on the way.

Felt like Cliff did a good job frustrating him.

I was already at this point over a month ago, jump in the season is done and should be about development pool, the water’s great! This team only has at best, AT BEST, maybe 6 wins in it rest of way no matter who we play. Start JMike and Gavin, key pieces for next season who can get experience. I actually saw some fire and confidence from GG. At one point he wanted Simpson to throw him a lob for a dunk when he was on the baseline. Simpson missed it, of course, and Gavin was angry, threw his hands up, liked seeing the fire. This season is a dud anyway, play Gavin, play Gavin, play Gavin…….

Didn’t see your post but saw it too. That’s the confidence leap I was hoping to see. He’s ready.

Noticed Gavin getting animated not getting the ball on runs under the hoop. Probably one of the most encouraging things I’ve seen as it could mean he’s finding his confidence.
Played better and looks more comfortable, but forcing shots too much.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
The shot selection in the first 10 minutes was gross. The staff needs some help. We make it so easy on the opponents defense.

Good to see the team fight but they consistently dig themselves a hole early in the game.

Reactions: kcg88
Agree - this season as a whole has been a lost cause for a while unfortunately. RAC Magic can definitely still happen against ANYONE, but this team is also capable of losing to anyone. Need to start playing the long game a bit and looking to next year - lets keep getting minutes for JMike, GG, Simspon, etc. We are of course playing to win, but I want key pieces for next year getting as much play as possible now.

An important play that bothered me -- Wolf is in for Cliff -- just about at the 8:00 mark -- Edey set up pretty high and throws his left forearm into Wolf's face twice, the second time he extends and with the push to the face frees himself to slide to the basket, receive the pass unmolested, dunk and draw a foul on RU. It was a 2-point game at that point and the correct call would have RU with the ball and a chance to tie.

An important play that bothered me -- Wolf is in for Cliff -- just about at the 8:00 mark -- Edey set up pretty high and throws his left forearm into Wolf's face twice, the second time he extends and with the push to the face frees himself to slide to the basket, receive the pass unmolested, dunk and draw a foul on RU. It was a 2-point game at that point and the correct call would have RU with the ball and a chance to tie.
There is no question that Edey gets favorable calls from the referees.At the same time he is 7' 4''which makes him very difficult to defend without fouling.

There is no question that Edey gets favorable calls from the referees.At the same time he is 7' 4''which makes him very difficult to defend without fouling.

Was talking to a coworker who is a Purdue alum/fan and even he acknowledged as much. Hard to officiate at him because of his size “but we’re glad we benefit from it”

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT