ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Nebraska

Really? Do you think there might be one or two or a hundred differences in how Jones went about being a basketball player, student athlete versus how Gavin does? Do you think that with the way Gavin practices, that he earns every bit of time that he gets?

Glad you didn’t coach my kids. Have a great weekend.
I cant speak about academic side of things…..

Gavin is not ready to play defense at the D1 level. Yes, that is on him.

Why is it OK to say Oskar shouldnt get PT, but Gavin is untouchable.

Really? Do you think there might be one or two or a hundred differences in how Jones went about being a basketball player, student athlete versus how Gavin does? Do you think that with the way Gavin practices, that he earns every bit of time that he gets?

Glad you didn’t coach my kids. Have a great weekend.
As for being a coach……if you knew me and your kids had me as a coach I doubt you would say that. Your kids would know how to play defense and have fun learning how.

Why is it OK to say Oskar shouldnt get PT, but Gavin is untouchable.

First of all - if you’re going to engage like this at least be honest - no one is suggesting that Gavin is “untouchable”. Stop the straw man bullshit.

Instead of suggesting the Gavin is “untouchable” I see people acknowledging his struggles but suggesting that pike should continue to give him some minutes (at appropriate times) due to his potential (which he HAS shown at times….his 25 point debut!!!!)

And people have explained numerous times the differences between Oskar and Gavin including the differences in potential (Oscar has 4 years to prove himself, while Gavin is what 2 months in?) and eligibility.

Oscar has proven over the course of YEARS to be a very limited player and he has NO ELIGIBILITY left. There is no future for Oskar. Gavins story is the exact opposite

The kid is 2 months into his college career - it’s unreasonable at this point to come to a final determination imho.

You can’t seem to accept the fact that others don’t fully agree with your extreme (seemingly final) opinion about him.

Last edited:
"My takeaway was he is even bad when he makes shots."

you dont even make sense. so he was "bad" when he made the two 3s?!

yeah okay.

yes, his D was REALLY bad on 2 plays and his TO was bad.

but Oscar was equally bad. he got beat repeatedly - also gave up 2 easy baskets - but without the points, PROMISE and ELIGIBILITY that Gavin has.

one can certainly argue that Gavin = Oscar in terms of what they contributing (or not contributing right now) RIGHT NOW. but it really is a wash. can anyone REALLY say that Oscar is contributing noticeably more at this point? come on...REALLY?

the answer is no. they are a wash.

thus - due to PROMISE and ELIGIBILITY the minutes...and all of them...need to go to Gavin. Oscar is done/ gone. there is ZERO reason to give Oscar minutes over Gavin at this point.
Exactly

First of all - if you’re going to engage like this at least be honest - no one is suggesting that Gavin is “untouchable”. Stop the straw man bullshit.

Instead of suggesting the Gavin is “untouchable” I see people acknowledging his struggles but suggesting that pike should continue to give him some minutes (at appropriate times) due to his potential (which he HAS shown at times….his 25 point debut!!!!)

And people have explained numerous times the differences between Oskar and Gavin including the differences in potential (Oscar has 4 years to prove himself, while Gavin is what 2 months in?) and eligibility.

Oscar has proven over the course of YEARS to be a very limited player and he has NO ELIGIBILITY left. There is no future for Oskar. Gavins story is the exact opposite

The kid is 2 months into his college career - it’s unreasonable at this point to come to a final determination imho.

You can’t seem to accept the fact that others don’t fully agree with your extreme (seemingly final) opinion about him.
My opinion is far from final. He just has a long way to go. I can totally accept having a minority opinion.

Regarding oskar vs gavin. Pike needs to play the best. Oskar has been bad recently. He also had has sone good games. Lets be honest Oskar over the course of the year has been better and pike trusts him more

My opinion is far from final. He just has a long way to go. I can totally accept having a minority opinion.

Regarding oskar vs gavin. Pike needs to play the best. Oskar has been bad recently. He also had has sone good games. Lets be honest Oskar over the course of the year has been better and pike trusts him more

Everyone loves Oskar. One of my favorites. But he’s as good as he’s gonna get. Got to see Gavin in practice, he’s elite. Eye popping good. He’s just in a funk. He’s going to be fine. Coming into a team that’s in transition isn’t easy especially for a frosh. Things seem to be trending well and he can ease in.

Reactions: shields

Reasonable.

Over the course of the year has Oscar been better ? Yes I’d say so. But barely. Does pike trust him more ? Again - barely. He has generally been subbed in sooner lately but pike really doesn’t trust either in crunch time. So they are really a wash

But then read the comment above from the person who has seen Gavin in practice - that he really stands out. The kid has big potential and THAT is why pike must continue to find some minutes for the kid and those minutes should come at Oscar’s expense . Sorry Oskar - it’s been a nice 5? years .

Everyone loves Oskar. One of my favorites. But he’s as good as he’s gonna get. Got to see Gavin in practice, he’s elite. Eye popping good. He’s just in a funk. He’s going to be fine. Coming into a team that’s in transition isn’t easy especially for a frosh. Things seem to be trending well and he can ease in.
But the defense.

I certainly have confidence in my "takes". My track record isn't bad. I have been wrong before, and will be wrong in the future, and I have zero problems admitting when I am wrong.

A few years I had a big miss when I thought losing Eugene would hurt our D significantly. I had high conviction and I couldn't have been more wrong.
Your response was very mature. Respect. I was in early on Eugene but have certainly been wrong about others.

I'm flummoxed by your take on Gavin. Forget about his recruit rating; to me, the talent and athleticism are obviously exceptional. He has flashed that vs Seton Hall, Nebraska, and in other games. He just needs experience, confidence & improved strength.

Oskar, bless his heart, should not play more than 3-5 minutes. He's a liability on both ends, except when open for 3.

You probably destroyed me on SAT verbal. Flummoxed?

It is obvious there is offensive ability and instinct and obviously he will be a good shooter.

His defense is just so bad right now. I just feel the journey to get an acceptable level is going to be hard and long.

I think we should be desperation mode right now.

GG had 11 points on 3-6 shooting from trey vs Seton Hall. And I see him hitting double digits several more times this year.
That said, the unit with Mag and Hyatt on the floor at the same time was very good down the stretch against Nebraska.
GG is a tweener as a frosh and I agree with those who say he needs to add some muscle because maybe he’s really a stretch 4 in training.

Oskar is 5-23 on threes this year. So even that aspect of his game has disappeared.
The most disappointing part of his game this season and the one thing he used to be good for

Maybe he stopped practicing shooting and just does defensive drills all day

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT