ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Nebraska

The stupidity is overwhelming here regarding GG who has played a total of 16 games give or take.True take by several Rutgers posters but that is the world we reside in . I’m sure we will run him off but be careful when you do that. It is also the fault of some posters who expected 12+ per night . We realized his D would most likely not be good … GG is feeling his way and Pikiell will continue to work within the context of giving him minutes. This is much different than high school and that is understood. Here’s the thing it wasn’t only GG ‘s D… it was JM, Derek , Osker ,Fernandes … it is a team sport. Let the season play out.
The way I see it we need to win game 2023-24 PERIOD. If we somehow go 3-1 in the next 4 we are right back in the mix probably the right side of the bubble. We can't afford putting gavin out there right now. Even when he hits shots he is a net negative.

Reactions: ILikePike
Many players have contributed to us at 10-7 being longshot for ncaa. Gavin certainly is one. I am stunned the recency bias of one win and people forgetting about others
The primary reason, in my eyes, are the 3 point guards. Offensively the issues were still there. Progress was made, but shot selection was bad. Simpson, with the exception of one really nice play, has his head down driving to the basket. He missed Cliff 2 times in the 2nd half on these drives.

The defense played by the 3 guards is great. Pike had all 3 on Tominaga and one of the best moves he made was taking Simpson off him for awhile as to reserve physical and mental energy as the primary ballhandler,

Reactions: Scangg
He didn't play because he had 3 terrible breakdowns that prevented us, at the time, to get back in it. We won the game because we clamped down and played elite defense for the last 9 minutes in regulation.
Why don’t you explain why this is a bash Gavin Griffith rant. Has he played great no. Is he struggling with D ? Is he the only reason we have underperformed? I can cite you 4-5-6 others who have done poorly. There is a reason other than his lacking D skills or shooting poorly. D .

Why don’t you explain why this is a bash Gavin Griffith rant. Has he played great no. Is he struggling with D ? Is he the only reason we have underperformed? I can cite you 4-5-6 others who have done poorly. There is a reason other than his lacking D skills or shooting poorly. D .
My rant is the fact he doesnt deserve to be in the rotation. Others have played poorly and are playing poorly, but they should be in the rotation because they are our 8-9 best.

Reactions: ILikePike
The primary reason, in my eyes, are the 3 point guards. Offensively the issues were still there. Progress was made, but shot selection was bad. Simpson, with the exception of one really nice play, has his head down driving to the basket. He missed Cliff 2 times in the 2nd half on these drives.

The defense played by the 3 guards is great. Pike had all 3 on Tominaga and one of the best moves he made was taking Simpson off him for awhile as to reserve physical and mental energy as the primary ballhandler,

What works on Nebby isnt going to work on Illinios or Purdue

J mike only played 10 minutes which no one is talking about this morning will see more minutes

Pike threaded the needle and it was done perfectly

That needle hole is 10x smaller than last year

The way I see it we need to win game 2023-24 PERIOD. If we somehow go 3-1 in the next 4 we are right back in the mix probably the right side of the bubble. We can't afford putting gavin out there right now. Even when he hits shots he is a net negative.
The negative NET? Only in these times . Admit the fact GG doesn’t fit your take … the kid is struggling at this time and it’s easy to say, ” sit his butt down”. That does not fix the issues. You saw last night what getting Cliff involved did. 2. Games ago people were bashing Cliff . Let the coach do what he and staff see fit to do.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Great effort last night----no quit in this team and Coach P has to get credit for that.
Did you not read here our coach has reached his pinnacle… I have said when you bash one player the reality is you are bashing them all.Only saw several posts who gave Pikiell any credit. True MBB board.

Great effort last night----no quit in this team and Coach P has to get credit for that.
Did you not read here our coach has reached his pinnacle… I have said when you bash one player the reality is you are bashing them all.Only saw several posts who gave Pikiell any credit. True MBB board.
So your expertise and 30k postings tells you he needs to not play at all ? Brilliant plan.

Many have complained about Pike’s constant tinkering with lineups (myself included), but yesterday he pushed all the right buttons.
It appears he’s getting clarity about who should play when.

It may have taken longer than we all would’ve liked, but then again he had two returnees crap out on him, we have many new faces, and two current starters were coming back from season-ending injuries.

The negative NET? Only in these times . Admit the fact GG doesn’t fit your take … the kid is struggling at this time and it’s easy to say, ” sit his butt down”. That does not fix the issues. You saw last night what getting Cliff involved did. 2. Games ago people were bashing Cliff . Let the coach do what he and staff see fit to do.
This team desperately needs what gavin can provide. The problem is the price we pay on defense is too high.

As for Cliff...I think I have made it pretty known my thoughts on him and what he and Myles has meant to this program.

So your expertise and 30k postings tells you he needs to not play at all ? Brilliant plan.
How about we let GG collect the towels and hand out water bottles?

If you go back a few months over my takes with personnel I have been pretty much on the money.

This team desperately needs what gavin can provide. The problem is the price we pay on defense is too high.

As for Cliff...I think I have made it pretty known my thoughts on him and what he and Myles has meant to this program.
Only several games ago Cliff was the board‘s bashing object.

NO! He made 2 3s yet still was a net negative. His plays on were shocking bad. His dribble and fling in to traffic was horrid.

My takeaway was he is even bad when he makes shots.

"My takeaway was he is even bad when he makes shots."

you dont even make sense. so he was "bad" when he made the two 3s?!

yeah okay.

yes, his D was REALLY bad on 2 plays and his TO was bad.

but Oscar was equally bad. he got beat repeatedly - also gave up 2 easy baskets - but without the points, PROMISE and ELIGIBILITY that Gavin has.

one can certainly argue that Gavin = Oscar in terms of what they contributing (or not contributing right now) RIGHT NOW. but it really is a wash. can anyone REALLY say that Oscar is contributing noticeably more at this point? come on...REALLY?

the answer is no. they are a wash.

thus - due to PROMISE and ELIGIBILITY the minutes...and all of them...need to go to Gavin. Oscar is done/ gone. there is ZERO reason to give Oscar minutes over Gavin at this point.

Reactions: satnom
My rant is the fact he doesnt deserve to be in the rotation. Others have played poorly and are playing poorly, but they should be in the rotation because they are our 8-9 best.
You may be correct at this point but let the coach decide that not some poster on a message board.

NO! He made 2 3s yet still was a net negative. His plays on were shocking bad. His dribble and fling in to traffic was horrid.

My takeaway was he is even bad when he makes shots.

It is getting close to the time where Pike has to call it. He is so far from playable right now and we are in mid January.
lol at “getting to the point where Pike has to call it”

Reactions: RedTeam1994
BONUS - we found our top 5
Simpson
Hyatt
Mag
Austin Williams
Cliff

They need to play ALOT together the rest of the way. Will they be under sized? Yes. But do they give us the best shot to W? Yes

Why don’t you message Pikiell and get his take on that? Going back a moment why the if it was Chol it would be questioned? Funny …is that that word you used?

Reactions: RU_DIO
Saying give gavin's minutes to Austin williams.

Do you think gavin is going to figure things out playing 7 MPG?
Hey I have been in on Austin Williams since I watched him prior and since he has begun playing here. Bigger , not afraid to attack the rim, can’t hit a free throw, but is a pretty good defender. My issue is writing GG off already and you are pushing for that.I think that is a bit premature.

Saying give gavin's minutes to Austin williams.

Do you think gavin is going to figure things out playing 7 MPG?

The kid is obviously struggling but he's never going to figure it out giving him no game minutes.

And with J. Williams and the Ogbole coming in minutes will be even more limited.

IMHO, his minutes should be limited - similar to last night - and used strategically (again like last night). When Pike needed the D to clamp down Gavin didnt see the floor (as he shouldnt have). but he gave him a few minutes in the middle of each half. IMHO, Pikes use of Gavin (and # and timing of his minutes) were spot on last night.

his minutes should come at the expense of Noah and Oscar (neither of which contribute much more than him and neither of which will be here next year).

but being completely "done" with Gavin at this point (or whatever term you used) is just silly.

Ru BOB,

The way i see it, as an emotional fan.......give this team the best chance of winning basketball games RIGHT NOW. If we can't beat either at Illinois or Purdue than I might start opening up to the possibilities of a season that has almost no chance and maybe starting to play gavin and others.

Giving him 7 minutes just puts him in more of a position to fail. It is obvious he is trying to do way too much because he knows he is in there for 5 possessions.

What I think i said a month ago was you play him zero or 20+ minutes. Pike is trying to thread the needle giving him a few minutes but hoping it doesnt hurt him too much.

Reactions: kcg88
BONUS - we found our top 5
Simpson
Hyatt
Mag
Austin Williams
Cliff

They need to play ALOT together the rest of the way. Will they be under sized? Yes. But do they give us the best shot to W? Yes
That lineup is fine size wise and inserting Williams is an improvement in size

If J Will and Ogbole come back, our team size only improves

#FreeChol

The sad thing about Oskar this season is everyone has played so poorly that he has is shot to be in the rotation but he now somehow forgot how to shoot a 3
happened last year too.
1. Bullpen is fryed and he is the last arm
2. 14th round of a shootout and only slow defenseman are left

Reactions: Scangg
I don’t want to see Fernandes much unless it’s intentional foul time. Williams just brings that other dimension of being able to drive to the hoop.

14:06SUB IN by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
14:06GOOD FT by ALLICK,JOSIAH51 (+8)
Nebraska
13:5051 (+5)
Rutgers
46GOOD 3PTR by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
--ASSIST by FERNANDES,NOAH
13:36MISS 3PTR by LAWRENCE,JAMARQUES
--REBOUND OFF by GARY,JUWAN
13:33MISS LAYUP by GARY,JUWAN(in the paint)
13:33BLOCK by OMORUYI,CLIFFORD
--REBOUND OFF by TEAM
13:21GOOD LAYUP by GARY,JUWAN(in the paint)53 (+7)
Nebraska
--ASSIST by LAWRENCE,JAMARQUES
13:02TURNOVER by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
13:02STEAL by WILLIAMS,BRICE
12:57FOUL by FERNANDES,NOAH
12:57SUB OUT by GARY,JUWAN
12:57SUB IN by MAST,RIENK
12:57MISS FT by WILLIAMS,BRICE(fastbreak)
--REBOUND DEADB by TEAM
12:57SUB OUT by LAWRENCE,JAMARQUES
12:57SUB IN by HOIBERG,SAM
12:57GOOD FT by WILLIAMS,BRICE(fastbreak)54 (+8)
Nebraska
12:47FOUL by ALLICK,JOSIAH
12:4754 (+7)
Rutgers
47GOOD FT by OMORUYI,CLIFFORD
12:47MISS FT by OMORUYI,CLIFFORD
--REBOUND DEF by WILLIAMS,BRICE
12:32GOOD 3PTR by WILLIAMS,BRICE57 (+10)
Nebraska
--ASSIST by HOIBERG,SAM
12:13MISS 3PTR by HYATT,AUNDRE
--REBOUND DEF by WILCHER,C.J.
12:02MISS 3PTR by MAST,RIENK
--REBOUND DEF by DAVIS,JAMICHAEL
11:5257 (+8)
Rutgers
49GOOD JUMPER by FERNANDES,NOAH
11:28MISS 3PTR by ALLICK,JOSIAH
--REBOUND OFF by TEAM
11:27TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM
11:27SUB OUT by DAVIS,JAMICHAEL
11:27SUB OUT by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
pretty sure Gavin was the reason for everything highlighted.

It took all of 45 seconds to erase the positive of his made 3 and turn his shift in to a net neagative. His man getting OREB and score, he loses his man and he scores, and then he takes a few dribbles and panics and chucks the ball up for grabs for a turnover

Pike is playing with fire putting him out there.

Those are development items that every player goes through......did Mawot Mag make these mistakes as a freshman and sophomore?? Of course he did and a lot more of them.

There's no substitute for game reps and experience, I would hope you're as critical for the other players, when they also lost their man or gave up wide open 3s or backdoor layups.....it's basketball and there are no perfect players on the defense end of the court.

Does Gavin have to play better, in order to have a good college career?? Yes and that starts on defense. He at least got in the way and helped on the glass at times.. he is 6'8", with long arms.

Players need to play, so they feel completely invested and engaged in the bullets and firestorm that goes on during these games. The Nebraska system is a good system that's been tweaked and adjusted and improved each and every year that Hoiberg has been there. They're getting closer and closer to the Iowa State versions in the Big 12 from a decade or so ago.

The kid went 1 for his last 19 from 3 and is still actually shooting around 27% from 3.....it's very hard to play at a B1G level as a freshman, but it's not lack of length or size or skill. I'd like to see more of the effort Gavin displayed last night and take my chances with his defensive mistakes, because we can get the same defensive mistakes and lack of rebounding from Oskar.

There's a ton of basketball left to be played this season and I'm kinda surprised fans are still hammering on Griffiths.....let him learn and develop, he can't do that sitting next to Pike for all 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Ru BOB,

The way i see it, as an emotional fan.......give this team the best chance of winning basketball games RIGHT NOW. If we can't beat either at Illinois or Purdue than I might start opening up to the possibilities of a season that has almost no chance and maybe starting to play gavin and others.
Not saying we can beat either. We could IF we play over our heads and can get some actual positive play from some of our bench players. The way Edey is playing Purdue Is going to be very tough .Purdue has some decent guards . Painter is a good coach .Eddy also has been able to exert his size inside. Even when he rolls over a defender seldom do those B1G refs toot those whistles. Cliff cannot allow him to pummel him. Wish Ogbole was available if only to annot Eddy in the post. That will be an interesting event if it happens.

14:06SUB IN by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
14:06GOOD FT by ALLICK,JOSIAH51 (+8)
Nebraska
13:5051 (+5)
Rutgers
46GOOD 3PTR by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
--ASSIST by FERNANDES,NOAH
13:36MISS 3PTR by LAWRENCE,JAMARQUES
--REBOUND OFF by GARY,JUWAN
13:33MISS LAYUP by GARY,JUWAN(in the paint)
13:33BLOCK by OMORUYI,CLIFFORD
--REBOUND OFF by TEAM
13:21GOOD LAYUP by GARY,JUWAN(in the paint)53 (+7)
Nebraska
--ASSIST by LAWRENCE,JAMARQUES
13:02TURNOVER by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
13:02STEAL by WILLIAMS,BRICE
12:57FOUL by FERNANDES,NOAH
12:57SUB OUT by GARY,JUWAN
12:57SUB IN by MAST,RIENK
12:57MISS FT by WILLIAMS,BRICE(fastbreak)
--REBOUND DEADB by TEAM
12:57SUB OUT by LAWRENCE,JAMARQUES
12:57SUB IN by HOIBERG,SAM
12:57GOOD FT by WILLIAMS,BRICE(fastbreak)54 (+8)
Nebraska
12:47FOUL by ALLICK,JOSIAH
12:4754 (+7)
Rutgers
47GOOD FT by OMORUYI,CLIFFORD
12:47MISS FT by OMORUYI,CLIFFORD
--REBOUND DEF by WILLIAMS,BRICE
12:32GOOD 3PTR by WILLIAMS,BRICE57 (+10)
Nebraska
--ASSIST by HOIBERG,SAM
12:13MISS 3PTR by HYATT,AUNDRE
--REBOUND DEF by WILCHER,C.J.
12:02MISS 3PTR by MAST,RIENK
--REBOUND DEF by DAVIS,JAMICHAEL
11:5257 (+8)
Rutgers
49GOOD JUMPER by FERNANDES,NOAH
11:28MISS 3PTR by ALLICK,JOSIAH
--REBOUND OFF by TEAM
11:27TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM
11:27SUB OUT by DAVIS,JAMICHAEL
11:27SUB OUT by GRIFFITHS,GAVIN
pretty sure Gavin was the reason for everything highlighted.
You have way too much time on your hands. Giving an analysis is nice . Actually sad in a way since it is not helping Gavin Griffiths learn D at this level. He is A ) athletic enough B ) a solid shooter even with his poor play.C ) not strong enough D ) needs to let the game come to him .

Those are development items that every player goes through......did Mawot Mag make these mistakes as a freshman and sophomore?? Of course he did and a lot more of them.

There's no substitute for game reps and experience, I would hope you're as critical for the other players, when they also lost their man or gave up wide open 3s or backdoor layups.....it's basketball and there are no perfect players on the defense end of the court.

Does Gavin have to play better, in order to have a good college career?? Yes and that starts on defense. He at least got in the way and helped on the glass at times.. he is 6'8", with long arms.

Players need to play, so they feel complete invested and engaged in the bullets and firestorm that goes on. The Nebraska system is a good system that's been tweaked and adjusted and improved each and every year that Hoiberg has been there. They're getting closer and closer to the Iowa State versions in the Big 12 from a decade or so ago.

The kid went 1 for his last 19 from 3 and is still actually shooting around 27% from 3.....it's very hard to play at a B1G level as a freshman, but it's not lack of length or size or skill. I'd like to see more of the effort Gavin displayed last night and take my chances with his defensive mistakes, because we can get the same defensive mistakes and lack of rebounding from Oskar.

There's a ton of basketball left to be played, I'm kinda surprised fans are still hammering on Griffiths.....let him learn and develop, he can't do that sitting next to Pike for all 40 minutes.
I am not willing to lose games so he can develop. he will probably have 100 hours of practice and film the rest of the way. He will probably have 2 hours of playing time the rest of the year.

I think you know i am critical of all players, except mag of course.

There may be a time where we "give up" on the season and give Gavin 25 MPG guaranteed (provided he doesnt really mess up). I am not at that point.

Players need to play, so they feel complete invested and engaged in the bullets and firestorm that goes on. The Nebraska system is a good system that's been tweaked and adjusted and improved each and every year that Hoiberg has been there. They're getting closer and closer to the Iowa State versions in the Big 12 from a decade or so ago.

There's a ton of basketball left to be played, I'm kinda surprised fans are still hammering on Griffiths.....let him learn and develop, he can't do that sitting next to Pike for all 40 minutes.
great point about Mag...he was a mess early on and some including me were wrongly writing him off.

that particular team had OTHERS who were able put out a legit Big 10 lineup. This years team is weaker on talent and consistency so Gavin is thrown in these situations where he has to have significant impact or his mistakes are magnified.

after a string of setbacks, last night was a step forward, sure it wasnt spectacular but a step forward is where it starts

I am not willing to lose games so he can develop. he will probably have 100 hours of practice and film the rest of the way. He will probably have 2 hours of playing time the rest of the year.

I think you know i am critical of all players, except mag of course.

There may be a time where we "give up" on the season and give Gavin 25 MPG guaranteed (provided he doesnt really mess up). I am not at that point.
But you just may have to over these next 3-4 games. It is fine to be critical of a player’s game but oddly singling out Gavin saying he should be benched is counterproductive. So he goes to UConn next season and averages 15 per game . Are we still saying Cam sucks ? No … this player needs to keep studying and practice D.

You have way too much time on your hands. Giving an analysis is nice . Actually sad in a way since it is not helping Gavin Griffiths learn D at this level. He is A ) athletic enough B ) a solid shooter even with his poor play.C ) not strong enough D ) needs to let the game come to him .
I thought it needed to be done. Heaven forbid if KCG broke it out on video.

In literally a 3 minute span he had 3 negatives that led to scores or ended possessions. Despite being 1-1 knocking down a 3 he really hurt us in the shift. that is hard to do.

great point about Mag...he was a mess early on and some including me were wrongly writing him off.

that particular team had OTHERS who were able put out a legit Big 10 lineup. This years team is weaker on talent and consistency so Gavin is thrown in these situations where he has to have significant impact or his mistakes are magnified.

after a string of setbacks, last night was a step forward, sure it wasnt spectacular but a step forward is where it starts
all mistakes aren't equal. JaMike's mistakes aren't having the same impact of gavin's. It also comes down to the frequency

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT