ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Nebraska

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. We lost the game at the foul line (16-30) but somehow won the game.

2. Gut check win at the RAC. Defense was elite in the last 6 minutes of the first half (14-4) and then the last 10 minutes of regulation (18-6). No field goals for Huskers in those 16 minutes.

3. Simpson played a terrific game despite another poor shooting night. 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 huge assists. G-RUnit is taking a victory lap.

4. Cliff has entered the building. 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 4 blocks. But god dammit we win the game in regulation if he just hits foul shots.

5. We MURDERED Nebraska on the glass 56-42 but 25-11 on the offensive end. Huge key to the game.

6. We actually went toe to toe with Nebraska on threes. They were 13-35 (37%) and we were 11-29 (38%).

7. We did a good job defending Tominaga, but that was at the expense of them letting Brice Williams and CJ Wilcher going off.

8. Make no mistake. Nebraska is a really good offensive team with a lot of weapons. It took every ounce of energy and RACmosphere to squeeze out this win.

9. Pike deserves credit for the rotation tonight. He didn’t stay long with Palmquist in the first half when Nebraska went on that early 10-0 run and then didn’t play him at all in the second half. He “managed” Gavin’s minutes, and GG rewarded him with two big threes. Most importantly, he stuck with the short rotation down the stretch because things were working with Cliff, Mag, Hyatt, Simpson, and Austin, but with smart substitutions with offense-defense with Noah and JMike.

10. Mag and Hyatt combined for 33 points, and they both played games that seniors need to play in a tight conference game.

11. I hope somebody “accidentally” spilled a drink on that woman who was screeching and yelling during our free throws.

Last edited:
1. We lost the game at the foul line (16-30) but somehow won the game.

2. Gut check win at the RAC. Defense was elite in the last 6 minutes of the first half (14-4) and then the last 10 minutes of regulation (18-6). No field goals for Huskers in those 16 minutes.

3. Simpson played a terrific game despite another poor shooting night. 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 huge assists. G-RUnit is taking a victory lap.

4. Cliff has entered the building. 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 4 blocks. But god dammit we win the game in regulation if he just hits foul shots.

5. We MURDERED Nebraska on the glass 56-42 but 25-11 on the offensive end. Huge key to the game.

6. We actually went toe to toe with Nebraska on threes. They were 13-35 (37%) and we were 11-29 (38%).

7. We did a good job defending Tominaga, but that was at the expense of them letting Brice Williams and CJ Wilcher going off.

8. Make no mistake. Nebraska is a really good offensive team with a lot of weapons. It took every ounce of energy and RACmosphere to squeeze out this win.

9. Pike deserves credit for the rotation tonight. He didn’t stay long with Palmquist in the first half when Nebraska went on that early 10-0 run and then didn’t play him at all in the second half. He “managed” Gavin’s minutes, and GG rewarded him with two big threes. Most importantly, he stuck with the short rotation down the stretch because things were working with Cliff, Mag, Hyatt, Simpson, and Austin, but with smart substitutions with offense-defense with Noah and JMike.

10. Mag and Hyatt combined for 33 points, and they both played games that seniors need to play in a tight conference game.

11. I hope somebody “accidentally” spilled a drink on that woman who was screeching and yelling during our free throws.
Simpson also did a really good job sticking with tominanga

We definitely brought the energy from the moment of the Simpson dunk on, other than a Nebraska spurt early in the 2nd half.

Loved seeing the shortened rotation in the 2nd half

Loved seeing GG nail two trifectas. He needs that confidence boost. I'm still a long term buyer.

Onions by Noah to hit the FTs in OT after sitting a long stretch of clock time.

Best all around Simpson game I can remember despite the rough FG%. 8 boards, 8 dimes including some beautiful passes! Only the one very poorly timed turnover. That's what we want our PG to be.

Such a big win, especially at 1-4 and with the next two being TOUGH.

GG will be fine … he needs to stay the heck out of the corners…. Needs to move and work to get his favorite spot… just a big time shooter … needs muscle and and learn to let the game come to him.

1. JMAC was the RAC!
2. Officiating was ridiculously bad. Even Pike post game noted! I think he felt somewhat sheepish because of the T, but glad he did it. Defended Cliff and lit an offensive fire under Cliff.
3. Derek was wonderful and almost had a triple double. Great foul shooting.
4. Think Cliff’s most complete game.
5. Foul shooting very nearly cost us the game. Whew. We really have to fix that.
6. Nebraska is very good and reminds me of PSU last year with great shooters and could win a few in big dance if they get hot.
7. Funny it really wasn’t Tap and the big center but the other guys who hurt us.
8. We really did play elite D. Sure they hit 13 threes but like Pike said it took them
35 shots to do it.
9. Our best rebounding of the year.
10. Mag and Hyatt were great.
11. 5 guys in double figures.
12. Pike great moves getting Gavin some good minutes and two threes and Fernandes hitting those foul shots was great. Davis some nice D.
13. Total team effort. I’m wiped.
14. Great review Degaz-RU!

Last edited:
Let’s see … Hyatt playing well …not seeing many “ he sucks comments” lately. Simpson coming on …. holding my breath on that…

GG hit two nice threes but man did he look totally lost on defense after.his 2nd three. He was literally standing in the lane not sure what to do or where to go. His man eventually scored. Then, the.next play on.offense.he throws the ball right to a defender that led to another score.

Bottom line, during that stretch.....He scored 3 and was responsible for giving up 4.

Need to play zone when he is in the game and hope he hits more threes.

OREB were everything. When you can't shoot those extra possessions matter so much. 25 to freaking 11. Just domination. Imposing your will on another team breaks them.

The Cliff we all want and need. Make it happen

Defense outstanding for long stretches

Simpson figuring out how to impact the game positively despite poor shooting

Mag and Hyatt consistently contributing

GG hit two nice threes but man did he look totally lost on defense after.his 2nd three. He was literally standing in the lane not sure what to do or where to go. His man eventually scored. Then, the.next play on.offense.he throws the ball right to a defender that led to another score.

Bottom line, during that stretch.....He scored 3 and was responsible for giving up 4.

Need to play zone when he is in the game and hope he hits more threes.
It took all of 45 seconds to erase the positive of his made 3 and turn his shift in to a net neagative. His man getting OREB and score, he loses his man and he scores, and then he takes a few dribbles and panics and chucks the ball up for grabs for a turnover

Pike is playing with fire putting him out there.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
It took all of 45 seconds to erase the positive of his made 3 and turn his shift in to a net neagative. His man getting OREB and score, he loses his man and he scores, and then he takes a few dribbles and panics and chucks the ball up for grabs for a turnover

He didn’t close out properly on two consecutive 3’s if I recall correctly so while he played better he was about a minus 4 there with the turnover the oreb and the 2 wide open 3’s. I did like his minutes on offense much more. He kind of stayed within himself and got some rhythm. I don’t know that he will ever be a great defender but he can improve his close outs. He’s not awful against the dribble and has some decent instincts defending drivers. He needs to clean up the close out a little. All in all I was pretty happen with it but pike couldn’t give him more run there in that situation.

Can’t learn by sitting on bench. Besides, it’s not that he’s an unwilling defender. I don’t see a lack of effort. He simply isn’t sure what to do yet. So, you find spots to play him and look for him to develop, and hope that his offense makes up for the defensive slips.

Griffiths' first half shift: he entered when we were down eight. We were down seven when we subbed out. Net +/- was +1.

Griffiths' second half shift: he entered while Nebraska was shooting FT. I won't hold him responsible for the FT made after he subbed, so it was Nebraska +8 when he started playing. It was still Nebraska +8 when he subbed back out.

We need to keep finding him minutes to develop. Yesterday was a WIN for GG in that we basically played Nebraska even while he was in there. Mag and Hyatt are not going to play 38 minutes every 40. The only forward subs right now are Griffiths and Palmquist, unless we go to a three guard look with Austin Williams at the 3, or go real small. I would rather take chances with GG over Palmquist. Get his confidence back. He was 2-22 in the previous five games - including Stonehill. I'm sure seeing that first one go through the net last night took a lot of weight off his shoulders.

Can’t learn by sitting on bench. Besides, it’s not that he’s an unwilling defender. I don’t see a lack of effort. He simply isn’t sure what to do yet. So, you find spots to play him and look for him to develop, and hope that his offense makes up for the defensive slips.
You learn in practice and if you are good enough to play you play. Gavin is an absolute train wreck and shouldnt see the floor.

Unwilling may not be the right word, but he hasn’t figured out the effort and intensity level required at this level. He’s still playing at high school level intensity, which gets exposed.

Oskar should get those minutes.
Oskar played 4 minutes and got cooked on defense three times. I don't want to see him either but we have absolutely no playable wing depth. I'd give a Simpson, Fernandes, and Williams lineup a try when Mag or Hyatt needs a break. Gavin + Palmquist can play no more than 6-8 minutes combined.

Oskar played 4 minutes and got cooked on defense three times. I don't want to see him either but we have absolutely no playable wing depth. I'd give a Simpson, Fernandes, and Williams lineup a try when Mag or Hyatt needs a break. Gavin + Palmquist can play no more than 6-8 minutes combined.
can't argue with that.

Wrong..last night was a step forward for him
NO! He made 2 3s yet still was a net negative. His plays on were shocking bad. His dribble and fling in to traffic was horrid.

My takeaway was he is even bad when he makes shots.

It is getting close to the time where Pike has to call it. He is so far from playable right now and we are in mid January.

Reactions: ILikePike
The simple reality is gavin is the worst player I have ever seen in our rotation since being a Rutgers fan.

Maybe he improves, but he can improve in practice.

EDIT...Forgot about Souf and hassani

By far the biggest takeaway from last night is that we had a guard looking to make other players better for the first time all season. Simpson's shooting is still a gigantic handicap but if he plays like last night then a case can be made for him being in the rotation next year. That stuff is contagious too: Cliff made a nice pass out of the post (Hyatt missed the three) and Hyatt drove and kicked to Williams for the three in overtime.

The simple reality is gavin is the worst player I have ever seen in our rotation since being a Rutgers fan.

Maybe he improves, but he can improve in practice.

EDIT...Forgot about Souf and hassani
That's too far. Souf Mensah for sure. Freshman year Eugene was worse than this. Craig Brown was really bad.

If you want to make the point that Gavin has the biggest gulf between "reasonable expectations based on prior performance or recruiting ranking" and "actual performance" ... then there's a good argument.

Reactions: Wagram97
The stupidity is overwhelming here regarding GG who has played a total of 16 games give or take.True take by several Rutgers posters but that is the world we reside in . I’m sure we will run him off but be careful when you do that. It is also the fault of some posters who expected 12+ per night . We realized his D would most likely not be good … GG is feeling his way and Pikiell will continue to work within the context of giving him minutes. This is much different than high school and that is understood. Here’s the thing it wasn’t only GG ‘s D… it was JM, Derek , Osker ,Fernandes … it is a team sport. Let the season play out.

NO! He made 2 3s yet still was a net negative. His plays on were shocking bad. His dribble and fling in to traffic was horrid.

It is getting close to the time where Pike has to call it. He is so far from playable right now and we are in mid January.

Funny because I still think Gavin will end up playing big minutes for us in March. But all good — it will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

His 3s helped at a time we were trailing

You know all those guys who got us down 12

Griffiths didnt play much more because Pike rode the guys he should be riding in crunchtime. I have no issue with that

Funny because I still think Gavin will end up playing big minutes for us in March. But all good — it will be interesting to see what happens.
I just don't see him making the improvements to be given the chance. He has to be stupidly good on offense to justify being on the court with what happens on the defensive end.

He is taking being bad on defense to another level. It really is tough to comprehend what is going on. He is so advanced with skills offensively, but has nothing in the toolbox on D.

That's too far. Souf Mensah for sure. Freshman year Eugene was worse than this. Craig Brown was really bad.

If you want to make the point that Gavin has the biggest gulf between "reasonable expectations based on prior performance or recruiting ranking" and "actual performance" ... then there's a good argument.

Hes not the only one

His 3s helped at a time we were trailing

You know all those guys who got us down 12

Griffiths didnt play much more because Pike rode the guys he should be riding in crunchtime. I have no issue with that
He didn't play because he had 3 terrible breakdowns that prevented us, at the time, to get back in it. We won the game because we clamped down and played elite defense for the last 9 minutes in regulation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT