ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Minutes Distribution/Roster

Can you believe the best guy in the NBA is fat! He is good.

Have you seen Wemby highlights?
Won't win DPOY but could as a rookie.
He'll potentially win it every other year of his career.

He stopped a 3 on 1 by himself because they were afraid to attack.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
Maybe. Again, just seems weird that the most efficient offensively, and the defensive player of the year from the previous season, doesn’t even rank that high on his own team.
My guess, and this comes from not watching Long Beach State nightly, is that he was a role player perfectly filling his role. It was also two full years ago he was DOPY, not last year.
LBSU had a first team all conf player, a 2nd team all conference player, an honorable mention all conference player. JJ was none of them.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Wemby is NOT fat

Sorry. I know you meant Jokic.
But Wemby!
He scored 17pts in 3min last week to best Jokic. It ended up costing Denver the #1 seed.

Wemby is positionless basketball. 7'4" brings the ball up the court and nails multiple 3s.

nice help defense by Jokic on one of the baskets...Novak Djokovic could have offered more resistence. Not going to fauly Jokic on the stupidly long 3s, but the early three what kind of defending the line defense is that?

There is no doubt he is stupidly talented....that clip isn't basketball

Because it is not true. On Purdue, Edey averaged 32 mpg, Braden Smith was 34 mpg, and everyone else was under 30.
Purdue was involved in many blowouts, so that is why their numbers ended up there. Check in the meaningful games, how many minutes they played.

Best of Luck,
Groz

And then there is this:

"The 6-foot-9 Sommerville averaged 26.3 points per game, 14.4 rebounds per game, 4.2 blocks per game and 4.1 assists per game while shooting 62 percent from two-point range, 48 percent from three-point range and 88 percent from the free throw line."

Wow! Shooting like that will be hard to keep off the floor.

• Wow
Reactions: Scangg
We have this same argument almost every year. Why is it that the stars of 90% of college teams can play 33-35 minutes per game in most of their big games, but you always want and have our guys only playing 3/4 of a game?

Unless there are blowouts, I want our guys playing 34-35 minutes per game. These guys can play 4 AAU games in a day, but have to rest in college? Zach Edey played 39 minutes in the final.....

Best of Luck,
Groz
1-4 playing Pike style D will tire players out.

Yes, I know it’s a discussion forum. I’m sorry (not really), but I find the minutes and starters threads to be tedious and unimportant. So I do a quick scroll just to see if I’m alone, and I guess it’s pretty much me.
I am with you a bit.

Until we have a full roster, these are all guesses.

But I enjoy when some of our fellow fans can’t wait to figure out what we will see. It’s generally good, positive fun. Some are better than others. This team will play a lot of positionless basketball, which makes these projections difficult. Also, players that are playing well will play a lot more.

All in all, it’s all fun stuff.

Reactions: ancienthooper
And then there is this:

"The 6-foot-9 Sommerville averaged 26.3 points per game, 14.4 rebounds per game, 4.2 blocks per game and 4.1 assists per game while shooting 62 percent from two-point range, 48 percent from three-point range and 88 percent from the free throw line."

Wow! Shooting like that will be hard to keep off the floor.

Those are insane stats... not to be a downer but I doubt the accuracy

What happened to Edey in the finals? He completely ran out of gas. He was toast by the 2nd half.
UConn’s roster is the reverse of that. Hurley played starters major minutes with a limited bench and they handily won it all.

We honestly have no idea what we're going to see next year, and I'm really excited to see how it all plays out.

Harper/Bailey - These are obviously going to be our "feature" guys and will see a lot of minutes, even if there are growing pains. For both, this year is a tune-up prior to the NBA and a showcase to improve their draft stock. If Harper sees himself as a PG in the league, he'll be playing some PG in college. But both will want to show off their versatility.

Sommerville - Really intriguing prospect with a ton of upside. It's harder for big men to get up to the speed of high major ball and to have the body control to defend without fouling. Can't wait to see what he brings to the floor.

Dortch/Grant - I know basically nothing about these two, but both are well regarded recruits. We've had highly regarded guys excel and others disappear - they'll have plenty of competition in practice, though.

Portal guys - All are coming up from a lower level of competition, but it looks like Pike is emphasizing certain traits in his search. Defenders, veteran leadership, lunchpail guys that will work to make the team better than the sum of its parts. Some lower-level guys shine when the bright lights are on, and some struggle to make the leap. Looks like Pike is building enough depth that we can absorb 1-2 of them not panning out. At the very least, they should help develop the younger guys with leadership in practice.

Returners - Ogbole should be fully healthy, now with a year in the S&C program and practice. I expect him to be a bit improved. Williams and Davis certainly have a lot of competition for minutes, and I don't think any minutes are guaranteed to them. Can Davis' chemistry with Bailey help lift both boats? Can Williams find sneakers with any grip on them at all? lol

We still need another piece - but it's clear Pike has a plan given who he has targeted with the ability to essentially create a brand new team around a couple of feature guys. But there are SO MANY unknowns this offseason that it's impossible to predict what's going to happen - should be an exciting season.

We have this same argument almost every year. Why is it that the stars of 90% of college teams can play 33-35 minutes per game in most of their big games, but you always want and have our guys only playing 3/4 of a game?

Unless there are blowouts, I want our guys playing 34-35 minutes per game. These guys can play 4 AAU games in a day, but have to rest in college? Zach Edey played 39 minutes in the final.....

Best of Luck,
Groz
To be fair, Zach Edey was exhausted in the second half of the final. Otherwise I kind of agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT