ADVERTISEMENT

Tourney team if...

No point in posting after PSU. Without JWill, the season was over. Period.

JWill has shown in 3 games that we are a tourney team. Today pulled me back into believing that it can be done. These areas for improvement are now actually important and mean something since we have no wiggle room.

Anyone think we make it if our efficiency doesn't improve? Anyone think we'll continue to shoot from 3 the way we did today? I want us to make it.

Do you understand that starting a thread with "Pike needs to wake up" as if he is sleeping and this stretch is pure luck is why you are getting the responses you are? I mean they beat the #11 team in the country by 20 and you saying the coach is sleeping.

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
Pike wakes up.

The defense is off the charts and everyone is in sync. VERY impressive. Simpson deserves credit cause he has definitely taken it to another level.

While we might have dug ourselves in too deep of a hole, there's still a sliver of hope.

The problem is we won't be able to thread the needle because the offense is ridiculous. Fernandez being hot today hid a lot of the garbage shots we took. There is so much that could be done without improving our offensive sets.

- 2nd game in a row a big man dribbling down the court. HELL NO.

- effective immediately, no passes to the post unless both feet of the big man are within 4 feet of the hoop. The results are BRUTAL when we catch it outside of that. Our points per possession today was probably in the 0.10 range when we passed it into the post.

- Pike, will you show the other guards how JWil doesn't go to the hoop in 5th gear?? He's in 3rd and can easily speed up or slow down. JWil creates stress on multiple defenders and does a very good job of making the right decision (shoot or pass). Most of the other players already have their mind made up as soon as they put the ball on the floor. AWill is good at being under control but he just can't finish or hit a foul shot. If he could finish and it foul shots like Simpson, we'd be in great shape. AWil is as good as he's gonna be. Why does Pike continue to watch Davis and Simpson fly to the hole at 100mph with almost no success???

- Gavin's minutes need to be restricted BIG TIME. Complete net negative this year. Gavin should study Hyatt. That's his ceiling. How does Hyatt get open looks but Gavin can't?

- STOP with all the freaking deep 2's. Gavin catch and shoot from 18/19 feet with 11 seconds on the play clock? Are you kidding me? I'm pissed if I'm a teammate. Chart our 2's from over 15 feet with time on the shot clock. We might as well kick the ball into the stands.

- Simpson needs offensive coaching in such a bad way. He has value on offense IF properly coached. I do see that he is a willing passer. In his current form, he offers very little value offensively. Most of his shots are "we don't need/want that from you".

- show the other players how JWill follows his shot. He got 2 buckets because of it. Everyone else poses after shooting like they are Curry or Thompson. If u miss over 70% of your 3's, you better try to get your miss. If you miss 65-70% of your 2's, you better follow your shot.

- if we must go iso from the top, must be JWil only. Simpson pulling the ball out to go iso early in the game
was crazy. There was still plenty of time to move the ball. Simpson deep 2 = pass to the post. Simpson lost that spot to go iso and will be the 4th option for that next year.
Pike is the man. We are so lucky to have him.

I can't believe there are still people that think the beginning of this season was on Pike. That blows my mind.
I certainly believe Pike has to own that but I also have to admit he got something going and right. The fact he's gotten two of his 3 Rutgers career techicals in the last 10 games(?) Is winning me over.
I believe he's sometimes late to the game and too nice but I love this new approach. His game management of late is on another level for him.
If this team pushes vs. fades here in he's going to earn kudos and respect that could take him up next level.

18 assists today is one off the season high of 19, but that was against Howard. We also had 18 against Long Island. Doing that against a very good B1G team is a great sign.

How about a season low 7 turnovers?

Take out the "Pike needs to wake up" line and this thread would be different. Call it: "Next items to clean up" or something like that.

Pike wakes up.

The defense is off the charts and everyone is in sync. VERY impressive. Simpson deserves credit cause he has definitely taken it to another level.

While we might have dug ourselves in too deep of a hole, there's still a sliver of hope.

The problem is we won't be able to thread the needle because the offense is ridiculous. Fernandez being hot today hid a lot of the garbage shots we took. There is so much that could be done without improving our offensive sets.

- effective immediately, no passes to the post unless both feet of the big man are within 4 feet of the hoop. The results are BRUTAL when we catch it outside of that. Our points per possession today was probably in the 0.10 range when we passed it into the post.

- Pike, will you show the other guards how JWil doesn't go to the hoop in 5th gear?? He's in 3rd and can easily speed up or slow down. JWil creates stress on multiple defenders and does a very good job of making the right decision (shoot or pass). Most of the other players already have their mind made up as soon as they put the ball on the floor. AWill is good at being under control but he just can't finish or hit a foul shot. If he could finish and it foul shots like Simpson, we'd be in great shape. AWil is as good as he's gonna be. Why does Pike continue to watch Davis and Simpson fly to the hole at 100mph with almost no success???

- Gavin's minutes need to be restricted BIG TIME. Complete net negative this year. Gavin should study Hyatt. That's his ceiling. How does Hyatt get open looks but Gavin can't?

- STOP with all the freaking deep 2's. Gavin catch and shoot from 18/19 feet with 11 seconds on the play clock? Are you kidding me? I'm pissed if I'm a teammate. Chart our 2's from over 15 feet with time on the shot clock. We might as well kick the ball into the stands.

- Simpson needs offensive coaching in such a bad way. He has value on offense IF properly coached. I do see that he is a willing passer. In his current form, he offers very little value offensively. Most of his shots are "we don't need/want that from you".

- show the other players how JWill follows his shot. He got 2 buckets because of it. Everyone else poses after shooting like they are Curry or Thompson. If u miss over 70% of your 3's, you better try to get your miss. If you miss 65-70% of your 2's, you better follow your shot.

- if we must go iso from the top, must be JWil only. Simpson pulling the ball out to go iso early in the game
was crazy. There was still plenty of time to move the ball. Simpson deep 2 = pass to the post. Simpson lost that spot to go iso and will be the 4th option for that next year.
<downvote>

Reactions: Scangg
Cliff’s moves have been slowly but surely improving. Little more arc or is it arch when facing the hoop.

Cliff’s moves have been slowly but surely improving. Little more arc or is it arch when facing the hoop.

Huh? Cliff was 1 for 6 when shooting the ball outside of the semi circle today and 5 for 5 inside of it. When he gets the ball outside of the semi circle via a post up, mark it down as a miss. Once in a blue moon, it's a make.

His 1 make outside of 1 foot was a roll to the hoop, being fed by JWil. His layup at the end of the 1st half was created by JWill, allowing cliff to catch and attack the basket. JWill almost had another one for cliff in the 2nd half that was gonna allow cliff attack the basket. They incorrectly gave cliff the TO cause he couldn't catch a 100mph pass.

The traditional posts are death for us. Both of his feet must be inside the semi-circle if the guy defending him doesn't have to help on drives by other RU players.

EO also missed 1 and turned 1 over when trying to make a move outside of the semi-circle.

Pike wakes up.

All-American my ass.

• Haha
Reactions: winfield102
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT