ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 7 ILLINOIS: A cold slap to the face

Not convinced there's any kind of fix to this team. Think by late January we're going to be better off leaning on JMike and Gavin and getting ready for next year. Not saying Davis will make the same strides but Dug McDaniel was overwhelmed early as a freshman but was forced to play because of an injury and he's so much better this year for it.
I love how quick JMike is, but he is just bad offensively. He gets to the hole amazingly, but never seems to finish. His shooting is atrocious (FT definitely included) - and that's me being nice about it. I'm not sure how you can lean on JMike as he is currently playing.

Last edited:
We got outworked and outhustled. We got destroyed again on the glass.

This has to be fixed. It isn’t negotiable. If you arent willing to get a rebound or you arent willing to take a charge you are the problem and not the solution.

Everytime Pikiell teams have slumped or underperformed the answer ALWAYS is to play the guys that will defend. He has had success.

If we want to allow players to play through this just be prepared for more of this.

This was a beat down. Illinois came in playing their B game.

I agree with a lot of which is said above.
Bac particularly nailed a lot of it.

My non-technical thoughts.

1) What’s the definition of insanity?

Cliff trying to back someone down and take a bad shot not looking to pass back out?
Derek with the jump stop mid range, not looking to pass for a better shot?

We need to try something different folks.

2) This is the first B1G game. I almost won’t let myself give up that easily.

3) comment 2 is likely wishful thinking based on comment 1. If so…I’m trying to figure out how to simultaneously root for letting the young guys grow and play as much as possible (see Other post above) while we not embarrass ourselves.
If we can do both those things I may keep
My cool.

This has to be fixed. It isn’t negotiable. If you arent willing to get a rebound or you arent willing to take a charge you are the problem and not the solution.

Everytime Pikiell teams have slumped or underperformed the answer ALWAYS is to play the guys that will defend. He has had success.

If we want to allow players to play through this just be prepared for more of this.

Remember how everyone said this team would be so much better offensively (without a certain pg) and the defensive drop off wouldn’t matter? Welp…

Remember how everyone said this team would be so much better offensively (without a certain pg) and the defensive drop off wouldn’t matter? Welp…
Our offensive problems begin with our guards. They just dont have vision. Gavin knocks down a 3 and on the next possession JaMike puts his head down and goes to tge basket not noticing a wide open Gavin

1. Cliff. Stop with All BIG hype. He’s bad can’t rebound through contact. Can’t play with his back to the basket. Giving him post touches should count as turnovers. Throwing the ball no where near the rim actually makes me chuckle.
2. SOFT. Don’t remember an RU game with a rebounding differential like that since the Jordan years. It’s embarrassing. A lot of it has to do with how small we are at guard but look at St. Peter’s they out rebounded us too. This team plays soft, simple.
3. Guard play. Not good. Can’t finish and can’t get our bigs in space. We will continue to get bullied by bigger guards in big10 play.
4. Hyatt. Oozes potential. But that all it has been. He has RHJ potential but will never realize it with his inconsistent play. This team needs Mag and they need him to be Mag from last year.
5. Gavin. Best offensive player on the team. Needs more touches and minutes. If you’re playing fast and want to be a “85” team like Pike says, it runs through GG and you won’t get there without him. Let him eat and let him learn on the job defensively.
6. This team can still turn it around but it’s up to Pike to find the formula, otherwise it’ll get ugly.
The 'Soft' part bothers me - rebounding is a lot about effort and want. No reason for us to be lacking here especially on a Pike team. Maybe the rebounding issue is a symptom of a bigger issue - that this team just doesn't care enough or hustle enough. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Rutgers56
With the exception of 5 minutes tonight . We played like crap for 35 minutes. Starting from the opening tip, we were out hustled , out toughed with balls being ripped out of our hands , no one ever jumping to go get a rebound , which is really the best way to get a rebound regardless if you box out or not , the failure repeatedly to use the glass on driving layups and tonight not just missed but swatted , especially on Derek 3 times. The basic fundamentals have to be hammered into these guys , backboard , actually going for rebounds , proper use of the pick and roll, where the guard has to wait for the pick to be set and actually throw the roll. Cliff not using the backboard down low and insisting on throwing line drives , when a simple kiss off the glass is 2 points. So so bad tonight. Cliff’s worst night of his career. More fundamentals when penetrating , use the pivot foot , slow down , wait for defender to get off the ground and then go up when they come down. Derek at least 3 times had separation but then did not release right away and then got swatted.

Now Illinois was faster, more althetic , hustled all day getting tons of rebounds and loose balls , ran an offense with screening , and other times just used their superior talent to make us look slow and out of place , scrambling , and then they hit threes at critical times. A lot was Shannon , who with 23 and 10 rebounds and shut down defense on Derek had to impress the NBA s scouts tonight.

Not sure it would have made a difference but ending the half with Austin , JMike and Wolf and Gavin , where you cut the lead to 5 at the half , when we should have down 15 , deserved to start second half. Pike has absolutely no feel for the game tonight. Our starters got blitzed early 14-2 and 17-6 to start the second or 31-8 for 8-9 minutes. Unacceptable but that is when something different had to be tried and Pike made a mistake not even trying. Not sure it would have worked but at least try the only thing that was working.

I have been lamenting our lack of rebounds in almost every thread after every game this year and today was just ridiculous. Princeton was smaller than Arizona last year and against us this year but that didn’t stop them from out rebounding Arizona and Rutgers by 15 each night. Pike claims he worked on it but I seriously doubt it. You have to actually go get the ball. Our guys watch , then stick a hand in there , it is soft and not tough. Contrary to every Pike team including his first 3 teams. . We have 3 guards as assistant coaches but someone has to tell the guards rebound first before they are looking to run. Someone has to tell Hyatt, Wolf , Gavin , Oscar to jump for rebounds. It is embarrassing

Finally , Pike calling out the 5 play all night with Cliff catching up high when he is not a stretch threat , has to be scrapped. Cliff has to be on the baseline or deeper on the block. Above the foul line he is too far away to get offensive rebounds , which is a way sand could have been a way Cliff impacted the game because he was just awful tonight. Double screens or staggered screens for either Gavin or Aundre have to be set. Too much depending on one on one where when you run into a more athletic team , it doesn’t work. Pike never altered his sets and didn’t get away from what was not working. Looked terrible too. Not shooting well when you are wide open , Aundre or Derek , did not help.

This game has to require changes and that has to start tonight

It’s a little ridiculous to say that defense is the problem when we shoot 33% from the field. I don’t care how much u ratchet up the defense, you will beat hardly anyone shooting that poorly.

The 'Soft' part bothers me - rebounding is a lot about effort and want. No reason for us to be lacking here especially on a Pike team. Maybe the rebounding issue is a symptom of a bigger issue - that this team just doesn't care enough or hustle enough. I hope I'm wrong.
We are also much smaller than them.

Starting 5 I like best is: Simpson, A Williams, Gavin, Mag (unfortunately Hyatt for now), and Cliff. We bring Hyatt, Noah, JMike, Wolf, and Oscar off the bench. Wolf is actually better at putting the ball in the basket than Cliff so the minute distribution may need to be like 24 Cliff/16 Wolf.
Simpson isn’t a point guard. Either is Williams. Noah is the best we have. Davis only looks to shoot.

We are also much smaller than them.
We got absolutely destroyed on the boards - it's more than us being smaller. Get back to fundamentals, box out if you are playing against a great rebounding team. Hustle to the ball or make sure you are in the right position. We have been outrebounded against lesser competition too, so again it's more than us being smaller.

Reactions: Shelby65
They schooled us with fantastic ball movement causing our D to scramble to open shooters. We couldn’t recover in time and that’s why we gave up so many orebs

Reactions: zebnatto
It’s a little ridiculous to say that defense is the problem when we shoot 33% from the field. I don’t care how much u ratchet up the defense, you will beat hardly anyone shooting that poorly.
Go back in our history…look at effective FG%. We have won quite a few B1G games in the neighborhood of where we were at.

Go back in our history…look at effective FG%. We have won quite a few B1G games in the neighborhood of where we were at.
This isn’t those teams. This team definitely needs to rebound better than tonight, but it is not a good rebounding team, and we will get outrebounded in most games against good teams, though certainly not by tonight’s margin. If this year’s team is going to win, it is going to have to shoot a lot better.

Last edited:
The issue is who you put on the court dictates how you rebound. Everyone wants to give minutes to a player who is the worst defensive rebounder on the team.

That doesnt help fixing the big problem

This is one reason why I believe Paul struggled with the young players last year. They didn’t understand what it took to grind out games and they didn’t accept his criticism. Now the team has no one leading and they seem lost.

This is one reason why I believe Paul struggled with the young players last year. They didn’t understand what it took to grind out games and they didn’t accept his criticism. Now the team has no one leading and they seem lost.
I keep hoping Noah is going to be the leader, but maybe that's a stretch since it's his first year on the team, and just wishful thinking on my part. If not Noah then who? I just don't think there is a leader on this team - and that is a big deal.

Starting 5 I like best is: Simpson, A Williams, Gavin, Mag (unfortunately Hyatt for now), and Cliff. We bring Hyatt, Noah, JMike, Wolf, and Oscar off the bench. Wolf is actually better at putting the ball in the basket than Cliff so the minute distribution may need to be like 24 Cliff/16 Wolf.

Can we get Caitlin Clark? She’s better than anybody on our roster. 😜😝

Reactions: biazza38
I posted in another thread..

Illinois is an ELITE defensive team. Best in the B1G and top 5 in the country, less than 60 ppg. Length and athletic on the Perimeter. We will not face a defense that good the rest of the year.

This is not a good matchup.

I posted in another thread..

Illinois is an ELITE defensive team. Best in the B1G and top 5 in the country, less than 60 ppg. Length and athletic on the Perimeter. We will not face a defense that good the rest of the year.

This is not a good matchup.
That is the hope…that illinois is real good.

My fears were realized. I know I am not alone here. The messiness could be excused for the Princeton game. It appeared we made some strides in a few of the following game. The St Peters game raised major red flags for me despite winning by 31. Today, the program has a hard cold slap in the face. Coming off of 4 successful years (albeit last year failing to make the NCAA tourney) the program has grown a reputation for being legit and a tough out. The fanbase has come to expect Rutgers to compete night and out with a gritty toughness that leans mainly on defense. We have also had expecations of competing for a NCAA bid this year. I will say some offseason departures have thrown quite the monkey wrench into this and its highlighting a bunch of recruiting miscues that to me is going to have an impact on the ceiling for this season. Next year is next year and it happens when it happens. We have Ace and Summerville coming in and fingers crossed for Dylan. I know Pike is going to get a pass for shaky recruiting this year because of what is coming next year. I get that but the plain fact may remain this team as its currently constructed does not look good enough to contend for a NCAA bid in 2024. Now this is just one game but this team as CURRENTLY constructed with this CURRENT lineup and CURRENT philosophy is not going to get it done.

For starters lost in all this is how good Illinois is. This is clearly a team going places. Illinois is likely a top 4 Big 10 team and shoo in NCAA participant. They have incredible physical presence on the court. Their rebounding philosphy is a thing of beauty. Underwood has them brimming with confidence and you can see that with their purpose offensively to attack and attack and then if they miss attack the glass. There is no shame in losing to Illinois. Its not that we lost or even that we lost by 18. Its that we looked like boys against men. To me that is a bucket of ice water to the balls for the 2023-2024 season. How does Rutgers go from being at the Illinois level and beating them 4 of 5 times to basically being wiped off their own home court by them. Pikiell traded in his big guard philsophy for a bunch of midgets who bounce off and getting swatted away like flies by a bunch of studs. Again recruiting recruiting recruiting and Pikiell has recruited a group of nice players but most of them complimentary players not Big 10 starting level. Would any of our current starting lineup except perhaps Cliff start on Illinois? Yet we keep hearing a small segment of our fans lecture on how Cam and Mulcahy were not huge losses. They were but I do not want to lament that. They are gone and Pike has to win with what he has

I keep hearing stuff how we need Mag back. Well I hope Pike went into the year knowing that Mag might not be back until January or even February. IMO, Pike has had plenty of time dating back to last year to make up for the loss of Mag. Mag is not some miracle vaccine for this team which has multiple ailments. Be prepared to play without Mag. Be prepared for the possibility that Mag does not even come back. I am not saying its going to happen but this program needs to develop with or without Mag. I actually am not happy that Mag tried to cash in and got more money from Rutgers coming off an injury. To me that just did not sit well with me given Rutgers was going to do everything to make sure Mag was well taken care of his with his health and education. So for now there is no Mag and more importantly a 100% Mag is likely needed for this team to reach any lofty goals.

As far as whats going on with court play. The continuation of slow starts has hampered Rutgers almost every game this year. Multiple horrid offensive stretches vs St Peters were realized again vs Illinois. To start the game Rutgers could not buy as basket and what an indictment that the first basket until 13:31 mark of the 1st half. By then RU was already down 14-2 and playing catch up right from the get go. A team cannot spot 15-16 point leads to a team as talented as Illinois and expect a positive result. To Rutgers credit they did not give up and showed some major resilience riding a crest from a press that bothered the bejesused out the Illini and a raucous RAC crowd that was carrying this team on its bad even when down double digits. Its amazing the resilience the RAC crowd showed in the first half. RU would raise hopes getting within 3 late in the first half. Yet it was fools gold really. RU down just 41-36 at half. It seemed like a game yet it appeared that RU had no business being that close. That proved true as RU was not able to mount any serious challenge to Illinois in the first few minutes of the 2nd half going back to its same predictable inefficient starting lineup and forcing offensive plays that have proven not to work. Alas the dam would break over a 6 minute period where Illinois just beat Rutgers down like a drum. An 18-2 run where RU had exactly zero field goals made. It was about as noxious a stretch under a Pikiell coached team as you have ever seen at the RAC and magnifed where Illinios currently sits and how much Rutgers has fallen behind.

Lineups and rotations are a hot topic on the board and they should be. 7 games and Pike still is confused. Players are being forced to do things they simply are not capable for. Perhaps a realization sets in that this year in terms of NCAA may not be in the cards. Youth and promise vs the old tired routine of trying to make something square fit in a round hole. The insistence on trying to feed the ball to Cliff every single game is not working. It did not work vs the weaker schools then why would it work against a team like Illinois. Cliff has regressed. There I said it. Yes he can play defense at time and block shots and had 8 tonight but he is just not cutting it as an offensive threat. Cliff with 5 turnovers, catching air and missing surefire alleyoops. Hyatt is our leading shot taker and our offense is running through him yet on most Big 10 teams he is a 7th player at best. 5-22 fg over the past 2 games. Our 3 small guards going 3-17 fg combined with only 4 assists. Physically totally overmatched vs Illinois. I like Woofolk but he is not starter and starting him with Cliff is killing our offense. They cannot be playing together. He had only 2 rebounds in 23 minutes!

No surprise that our biggest guard had the most impact in this game. Bravo Austin Williams who has had sporadic play all year long. Austin had 9 tonight on 3-6 fg, 4 boards, 3 assists and was almost single handedly responsible for getting RU back into the game offensively in the first half. A case could be made Austin needed to play more and that Pike took him out just as he was getting hot and unfortunately didnt start him in the 2nd. Pike's stubborness of having to play the same starters in the 2nd half is mind boggling. Not one person on this team really except for Cliff should be guarantee a starting spot on the roster. That some players like Hyatt are just given minutes needs to change.

And then we come to Gavin. You know I for one and tired of the he does not play bullshit thing especially when I saw a few small guards give up wide open 3s and get blown by for layups. Lets cut this ridiculous notion that he isnt playing because he is defense is terrible. Gavin needs to start. There I said it. He needs to be a more focal point of our offense. This is one of the highest rated recruits Rutgers has ever had yet somehow on a team that cannot put the ball on the bucket he sits during scoring droughts and when he is inserted his role is to hang out on the perimeter. Pike you need to do better with him. Gavin is part of the future. He will not be if he continues to play limited role. I get why a freshman should not shoulder a large rule. Unfortunately because of how Pike has handled recruiting, this is the situation we find ourselves at. The options are limited and I have seen enough to realize what we are seeing on offense this year is not working

And what is the Rutgers offense? Alot of discussion on the boards about identity and purpose. If RU is not converting off of turnovers it does not look they are comfortable at all in the half court set. I see alot of ill advised hoists and one on one stuff with no one under the boards not to mention Rutgers likely leading the lead in missed bunnies. There was talk in the offseason about this team being the fastest ever and capable of scoring 75 plus a game..wait wut. With what players and what shooting capabilities?

Again Illinois is very good. RU got a test today and failed. Not every team will pose the same challenges. These next two games though really are the acid test for the program. ANY hope of reaching the NCAA rests in the next 2. Wake is going to present problems on the road in a different way than Illinois more finesse than physical. Seton Hall a rivarly game that could exploit the perceived softness of Rutgers. Pike is going to have to make changes and make them quickly. Its has to happen. It needs to happen.
Fantastic summary. You nailed it!

Unfortunately I agree with almost everything I’m seeing in this thread.

This team isn’t even a bubble team right now. I expect things to get better as the season goes on and to knock off some quality teams in the conference but this team just isn’t as good/experienced as we’ve had the past 4 years.

I’ll wait for Hawk to make me feel better and tell us how how talented this lineup is and how much better we are than previous years or without Cam/Paul lol.

I am here and sometimes reality sets in for fans. The harsh reality is that this year's roster is still developing, where last year's roster was iron cast in February and March. Is there a stark difference in play that we saw at the RAC last year, vs what we saw vs Illinois on Saturday?? Not really.

I don't know what was different from bacs post game vs Illinois vs the following post games from last year at the RAC.....vs Nebraska, vs Michigan, vs Iowa, vs Northwestern, vs Seton Hall.....vs Hofstra (Hofstra????).......and now vs Illinois. All of these games were losses. I don't need to watch the games from last year to this year to know that Mulcahy isn't guarding Terrance Shannon.....Cam Spencer didnt score points or demonstrate any semblance of a player capable of scoring points when necessary down the stretch last year.

There are programs in transition, which is where RU has been now for 1 season and now 7 games in this year......this isn't unexpected, but we are building something beyond the limitations of last year into the future.....sometimes that process is ugly to watch but it is necessary for the future goals.

I saw RU at 58 points.....last years games at the RAC in regulation had the Ohio State team under 60 in regulation....Northwestern under 60......Michigan under 50 at 45 points........Seton Hall was a paltry 43 points at home.....even in wins vs Maryland at the RAC, RU struggled to reach 60 points.

Why is that sustainable or suddenly expected that Mulcahy and Spencer this year, would stop Illinois 1 on 1 as defenders?? Would they score 20 points a piece and outscore a good Illinois team??? We know that answer is NO.....

Please ase stop lying to yourselves about the trend lines of last year as if they didn't exist......and I give the staff credit. They cut their losses and are going to get rewarded down the road for doing so. They're not running it back with 30 minutes a game again and we're going to live with the results for minutes this year from Simpson, Davis, Griffiths and Woolfolk. And compliment those minutes with Fernandes and Austin Williams.....

If you watch Illinois, keep in mind they actually HAD RU guard Jeremiah Williams committed to them. He looks, plays and would have given them another 2-way guard, if he was somehow not caught up in the nonsense at Iowa State. There is a reason we're lucky enough to have him on RU. He gives RU a guard that can match up down the road, as a bigger guard to play that type of game.

Last years team, for 4 months was NOT a NCAA tournament team.....if Mulcahy averaged 8.5 points per game last year or for his 4 year career and Austin Williams scored 9 today, what is the huge difference.....??

If Austin Williams gives your 4 rebounds and 3 assists, how much of a difference are we talking about?? The difference is RU isn't asking Austin Williams to gobble up 33 minutes a game, we can get that type of production, in a bridge year to 2024-25, that allows Davis, Simpson and Griffiths to play.....get knocked around.....find out who wants to compete and how fast can they get better from November to February/March.

Gavin Griffiths taking a couple of 3s and making them.....that's as much production Spencer was providing in February and March last year. At least I get to see Griffiths develop this year and into 2024-25.

BUT i get it.....fans want immediate results today. They want 20 wins this year.....we were closer to 15 or 16 wins on paper last year than 19 wins folks.....

So is it fixable and can RU win enough games this year?? I think the question is, what is most important to you as a fan....???? If it is winning as many games as possible this year, then you play Austin Williams, Noah Fernandes more.....and live with the results.....BUT why does that make sense.....??? They're the same caliber of veteran guards we had last year....... Maybe better in some areas, worse in others.....no tangible difference stat wise or results wise in PPG so far this year.

Here's the larger trend that is part Spencer, part Mulcahy, part Mag, and now into this year vs Illinois.

There's no true path for long-term success, unless you get away from players who aren't athletic and aren't limited. This is the scoring breakdown of MOST games last year. Are there a couple of outliers like playing Minnesota twice?? Sure, but I'm not counting Q3 or Q4 games.

61 Miami (road)
63 Indiana (RAC)
66 Ohio State (road)
43 Seton Hall (RAC)
64 Maryland (RAC)
65 Iowa (RAC)
65 Purdue (road)
65 Northwestern (road)
57 Ohio State (RAC 40 minutes)
65 Penn State (RAC)
61 Michigan State (MSG)
60 Indiana (road)
60 Illinois (road)
72 Nebraska (RAC)
58 Wisconsin (road)
45 Michigan (RAC)
59 PSU (road)
53 Northwestern (RAC)
62 Michigan (B1G tournament)
65 Purdue (B1G tournament)
58 Illinois (RAC)

I have 20+ relevant games stretched over a season and 1 game vs Illinois.....if someone wants to include Princeton its 61 vs them......RU averages 60 PPG over these 20+ games.....that's the harsh reality, we are trying to change as we go forward this year and into 2024-25. 60PPG is NOT the standard needed.

Is that all Mulcahy, Spencer (mostly all of it is)....is that with Mag being in or out?? A lot of both him in and out.

How do you correct a 20 game trend from last year overnight into this year, 7 games into the season...?? Are Princeton and Illinois more of the same??

I am holding all judgement until i see a full 20 game sample size against similar competition this year..... AND i understand clearly, that 60PPG is apparently the standard for fans crying about Spencer and Mulcahy......60PPG.......????...really folks, that's what you see over 20 legit games, home and away......keep in mind, some of those point totals were actuality in wins........but is that sustainable or the goal, to gold every team we play, under 60 points......?? It is not sustainable, but I'm fine changing things that clearly did NOT work last year......

Sooo.....we now go to the last potential excuse that some fans are clinging and hoping for, that is not a reality-based mindset.....but lets look at the Mawot Mag situation .....as a basketball player, glue guy, rebounder, defender....player who to me, has become the fans and appears to be spreading into the teams biggest distraction......the biggest unknown.....

The one player who I believe (not asking anyone to believe me, i just use my eyes and ears) has clearly bought into a false media narrative that he is the reason RU fell apart last year......so what are we seeing or not seeing??

What we aren't seeing is Mag on the court competing.....I see a player that from everything I see, appears disengaged....disconnected.....a player who is just not what other RU players before him, have shown a willingness and ability to do.....play when you aren't 100% or close to it.....

But ut Hawk isn't being fair.......!!!.....I'm just using the prior standard that helped build the RU program and asking fans to be realistic......what is the standard that Pike and this staff is built upon......??? Don't lie to yourself, here is the standard that's been set.....but ultimately, I am not losing any sleep over results this year nor any one player. But I am going to answer the question for fans THIS year and ask about Mag and is this the standard??

When Mulcahy wrenched his shoulder, he played through it....when he banged up his finger, he played through it. Did anyone ever question his willingness to play through injuries, bumps and bruises......NO......does it mean Mulcahy is required to be a full time starter again this season?? No, his departure is a separate topic we have already discussed.

When Geo Baker cracked his thumb, he came back WAY too early. Because he knew his team needed him as a leader, even if it affected his play for 3 to 4 weeks AFTER he returned. Could he have sat out and waited....sure, but he didnt....and fans crushed him anyway on here, when he shot 3-12 or 1 of 6 from 3.....let's continue....

When RHJ jammed his foot and leg, he played through it....did he look like a player at full speed, with lift and power after his injury.....NO.....but he dragged himself onto the court anyway.....

When Caleb McConnell had his knee scoped, multiple injuries.....he came back with a back brace and was clearly limited for a solid month or so last year.........he eventually rounded into shape last year, but was still further away from the prior year, where he pinned shots on the backboard vs Ohio State....it was going to take a LOT for him to not play. When I visibly see a warrior that is at 75% max, I give that player credit for laying it out on the line......

When Eugene dislocated his knee cap....twice.....I saw a player play at 65 to 75% multiple times over extended periods of time....and a kid who worked VERY hard to compete....was he a limited and developing player at that time?? YES, but there were others who also player through it....doesn't change how he left the program but NO one questioned his grit, toughness or willingness to play at less than 100% ever.....

Why am I bringing this up, during a 2nd transition year into a better brand of basketball away from limited players etc.......because I have a player in Mawot Mag and I see every fan desperately trying to give a player all the credit or as the sole reason RU fell apart.....BUT I don't see anyone asking....when is he going to play??? The fans blinded by falsehoods, aren't holding Mag to the same standards......if we want to crush RHJ, Geo and others when they didn't play or hit every key shot, when do we hold Mag to the standard?? We have all heard he's been cleared.....Soooo....what's the delay folks....??

Are we saying he can't give his teammates or coaching staff that spent time and effort developing him ANY minutes.....???? Please stop folks........when do we deal in reality that we need to stop hyping up a player who hasn't earned the hype as a key player.

To recap.....this is a roster that averages for the most part 60PPG last year and scored 58 vs Illinois. If we are averaging 60 PPG for the next 20 B1G or Power 5/6 relevant games, then we are at a break even point or where we stood last year. Nothing more, nothing less.

To add to that recap for THIS year, I will sit and wait for Mag to play when he's full and ready to play.....and I will watch a player who might be bought into his own hype, sit and watch.....or whatever you want to believe.

My only question for the fans clinging to this nonsense...if he's that important and he's been medically cleared and his HC is essentially telling you now 5 separate times that he's waiting for Mag, what should that tell you?? When does the double standard of hype stop??

I am just watching basketball and I reserving judgement on this year, until I see more basketball. It looks like most of last year's 20 game sample size in 2 games so far, but there's a lot of upside to this roster. We were a couple of very close wins (Purdue, NW, Ohio State OT, at Wisconsin, at PSU) last year from a 7-13 type of B1G schedule and results.....mixed with a significant amount of double digit losses last year. And that includes a debacle at Minnesota.

So we can change things up and build with some younger guards, or lie to yourself that the 60PPG last year with Spencer, Mulcahy, Mag didn't happen.

And Mag is the X factor for now, sitting idle and not competing, right???

I'll wait for the smoke and responses....my Seahawks are off today on Sunday and the Niners/Eagles isn't until 4PM or so.....😁😁

Last edited:
Tough decisions need to be made by Pike re Noah. I get that Pike views him as the most likely leader on this team given his age, experience, etc. But, he’s simply not good enough. He got 28 minutes yesterday and gave us 3/1/2. That’s almost impossible to do.

Let Derek run this team like he did late last year. Yes, I know he’s not a natural PG, but ironically enough neither is Noah. I thought we were getting a pass first true PG. Instead, he barely gets assists and I have to watch him fancy dribble 3-4x per game before he puts up a missed shot.

1) What’s the definition of insanity?

Cliff trying to back someone down and take a bad shot not looking to pass back out?
This 100%. It seems like everybody knows this except our staff?
3 times in the first few minutes. That many trips with 0 points left us in a hole we could never fully climb out of.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
Hey Bac. Like you mentioned, this was a very good Illini, older team. Noah, AWill, and Gavin all just got their first look at the BIG and it was just that for them. I do think they were phased by it, but I am confident they will readjust. Still hopeful for this team and think we need to keep Simpson at point. We need guards that are quick to break down defenders. This team will still win some games, and when Mag comes back, if Pikiell changes a little, I think they can still make a tourney run. It will be close, though.

Also of major importance-well done ladies and gentlemen for rocking the RAC yesterday. We had that place jumping! So much fun even in a loss. Although second half drought was kinda dreadful. Still a lot of fun.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
When you get doubled up on the boards it's an effort and desire problem
I would also add in strongly-strength and conditioning problem. Simp was getting mauledbecause of a lack of size on baseline drives. I’ve noticed this in past couple years, too.

Our offensive problems begin with our guards. They just dont have vision. Gavin knocks down a 3 and on the next possession JaMike puts his head down and goes to tge basket not noticing a wide open Gavin
Small guards provide quickness but not vision to see the whole court.They also don't have the height to throw the lob pass to Cliff for dunks.Rutgers has a roster problem because rebounding is worse this season and the offense has far too many scoring droughts.Griffiths must start games and Mags needs to come back sooner than later.

As some have mentioned recently, including (I think Bac), we need to move forward as if Mag isn’t coming back. He was cleared weeks ago. I don’t know what’s going on, but I have my suspicions. They don’t matter - we have to focus on who is actually playing not on who might decide they want to play or the guys who left in the offseason.

So many problems evident yesterday on both ends of the floor, most of which have been mentioned in this thread. The way rosters appear to get assembled a year at a time, very few teams should be thinking much beyond that horizon. Hopefully it gets at least a little better because that was a brutal beating yesterday.

Everyone thinks wait until next year and we are automatically going to be great. Yes the talent should be better, but it is still a team game and freshman will be freshman. GG may turn out to be great, but he is struggling particularly on the defensive end. Even on offense, unless we put complementary players around him who truly want to play team basketball, then we will not maximize his, or any other highly ranked kids ability.

That there is so much clamor for 24 year old Austin Williams to play more after yesterday just because his effort stood out, tells you how bad things are right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT