ADVERTISEMENT

3 of Last 4 games our D (according to Bart) has been pedestrian

we overlook things because we are winning, people dont like to critique much on this board because we are 13-6/5-3....when we win things are great, when we lose though thats when you can find faults that "COULD" crop up down the line. There is no guarantee that Rutgers is going to the NCAA tourney. First things first one game at a time. This team still has to work to get where its going because defense is its strength not offense and that is going to require alot more effort. Penn State is a game if you are a tourney team you have to win at home given the road slate upcoming. What I am seeing in this lead that winning is contagious and losing is contagious. See OhioState with losing and Indiana maybe now with winning. RU has won 7 of 9 so we are in a solid stretch overall but you want to avoid stringing bad performances together.

In the end the blueprint is still threading the needle, somehow someway Pike has done it. Last night the level of play wasnt there on both ends of the court much like it was vs Iowa. We saw elite level D vs Northwestern and Ohio State at least for one half the game. Thats good enough for me. Thats why we won. I have concerns about the offense because quite frankly Ohio State is in a tailspin and they dont play great D yet we still struggled to put points on the board AT HOME. We ABSOLUTELY need to put a better offensive showing AT HOME vs Penn State.

Well that is overall, but even the end of clock prayers are probably more "tight" than "very tight" a lot of the time. Very tight is 0-2 feet of space, people will just move back further rather than take one that is that tightly contested.

But I agree RU probably does better than these percentages usually which is why I do think that some (but far, far from all) of our good 3p% D is actually real.

Do not underthink (you are way underthinking) you really think that we went from 1st to 300-somethingth based on changes in how we played and the opponents being better shooters?

Central Connecticut shoots 34.5% from three FYI, which is actually decent. Better than Rutgers but a significant margin.

yeah central connecticut state who the heck do they play on their schedule,

I do think observing where in the shot clock teams are getting shots is useful in analyzing our defense. I recall only 1 instance where MSU was rushed to put up a shot. In the 1st 10 minutes vs MD every defensive possession it seemed ended in a steal, shot clock violation, or a end of shot clock heave.

well I agree with you

Rutgers has played less full court press allowing opponents more time to run half court offense .Less turnovers have occurred and easy fast break baskets for the Rutgers offense.
The question is why we didn't come out pressing even though we actually came out with the lead!! Secondly two things are leading to open threes Cliff is getting caught out on the pick and roll way too much as he doesn't seem to know how to hedge thereby leaving the center wide open and forcing someone to come in from the weakside to help and then Cliff still not getting back leaves us chasing and then wide open 3's; Also Paul to me is the worst he tries to double down low too much and gets caught with his man getting wide open 3's a few times a game
The other guys also are doubling down low too much

Reactions: bac2therac
I do think observing where in the shot clock teams are getting shots is useful in analyzing our defense. I recall only 1 instance where MSU was rushed to put up a shot. In the 1st 10 minutes vs MD every defensive possession it seemed ended in a steal, shot clock violation, or a end of shot clock heave.
(To me) MSU is one of the more difficult teams to press in the league and maybe the country. They have two ++ball handlers on the floor all the time in Walker and Hoggard and Akins isn't bad with the ball in his hands either. I understand why we decided not to press as much this game.

MSU is a pretty good 3FG% team and were great in this game. Happens. Rather it happen on the road against MSU than home v anybody. Also not sure anyone expected Jaxon Kohler to have a better game against us than Edey did! Cliff was destroying Sissoko early and Izzo got a ton out of a kid who hadn't done much before last night. A great HC pushing the right buttons with his team is why Izzo is who he is.

PSU is a lot like MSU in that they shoot the 3 pretty well and are loaded with solid ball handlers. Will be an interesting one Tuesday.

yeah central connecticut state who the heck do they play on their schedule,
I mean no one, but since defense doesn't affect 3p% that much...

They have a couple guys on their team that appear to be good shooters, even D3 teams have good shooters.

We've largely dared teams to shoot threes, or forced threes late in the shot clock when other offense didn't work, and most have struggled to hit them at a high enough rate to beat us. Iowa and MSU are exceptions.

We are generally happy to give up attempts from 2+ feet back from the line, or as a last resort in the last 3 seconds of the shot clock, or from lower percent shooters make attempts as we dig down into the paint. Usually that results in lower percentages, but sometimes guys hit those shots more often than expected.
I am definitely not debating last nights lead story was the delta on both ends of expected 3pt% given quality of look and actual %

I mean no one, but since defense doesn't affect 3p% that much...

They have a couple guys on their team that appear to be good shooters, even D3 teams have good shooters.
I think you need to adjust your slope a bit. Our length definitely is a huge factor

We didn’t press because
A. MSU not a good to press B
B. Save legs
C. A and B

Probably C, bout could be A. Only like lnows
I don't really think it's B. We pressed a bunch in a week when we had 3 games and we didn't press in this one even tough we have a comparatively light schedule this/next week.
we also didnt press because we didnt make many shots
Also this.

On our side, it's also partly who is putting up shots.

Our shooters ranked in career 3P% order:
.401 - Spencer (1-8 this game... tough)
.366 - Mulcahy (no attempts this game... deferred a couple I remember because they were early in the shot clock)
.357 - Reiber (no attempts... deferred one, didn't look like he was ready to shoot)
.276 - Hyatt (0-3)
.271 - McConnell (1-4... his freshman year's .357 was with a closer 3P line. With the current distance, he's .246)
.255 - Mag (no attempts)
.237 - Simpson (0-1)
.222 - Omoruyi (0-1)

Notes
1. We don't have many shooters
2. Of the guys we do have that have hit at better than .300 for their career, 2/3 took no shots
3. The majority of our shots (9 of 17) were put up by guys who shoot worse than .280 over their careers

We get on Mag, but McConnell has been a worse 3P shooter at the current distance through his career. He's had a couple of streaks - but he really needs to take 95% of his shots from 18 feet or closer.
Mag I am wait and see. His percentage is bad, but sample size is small, he has good looking form, and he is a decent FT shooter. I think he's probably at the very least much better than 26% even if he won't be a great 3p shooter.

McConnell's been bricking them for 4 years now and a lot of them are really bad looking misses. I love him but 3-point shooting is just not his thing.

Except many of the 3 point shots he took as a freshman would be considered long twos today. In his first year, the line was 20'9".... in his sophomore year it was moved to 22'1", and his 3P% dropped from .357 to .280

He’s also had back injuries which has definitely messed with his form.

He barely lifts off the ground on his shots, and this seems to be even more pronounced lately and results in him pushing hit shot/coming up short often.

Reactions: Scangg
He’s also had back injuries which has definitely messed with his form.

He barely lifts off the ground on his shots, and this seems to be even more pronounced lately and results in him pushing hit shot/coming up short often.

I'm sure that's impacted him a bit, too - but dribbling just a step inside the line has generally helped him over the last couple of seasons, so part of it is a range issue.

Anywhere to get shot charts for his freshman year to see how many of his shots were toes on the line or further back?

I'm sure that's impacted him a bit, too - but dribbling just a step inside the line has generally helped him over the last couple of seasons, so part of it is a range issue.

Anywhere to get shot charts for his freshman year to see how many of his shots were toes on the line or further back?
If you watch his shot, his load point is too far away from his body forcing him to shoot with only forearm and wrist. Most of his threes come up short. If he loaded closer to his body he could get more strength from his shoulder and upper arm.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Definitely a form issue. He had the most beautiful mid range 10-14 footer with great form early in his career. Since his back issues , he changed his form and is more pushing his shot instead of just flicking his wrist. He has never regained that form although sometimes from 2 about 10-15 feet out , he does just flick his wrist and the beautiful shot returns. It is part physical but definitely mental right now with his shot. Really a shame because he could get us 5 buckets from 10-14 feet very easily with his height. Then add his steals and scores and his rebound buckets and scores and he would be averaging 13-15 per night. Someone has to guide him through these next 12 games as it can make the difference between the BIG 10 title and missing out.

Yea, Caleb used to have a sweet shot. His form def seemed to change. He looks like he's too robotic and forcing it. It's just not smooth at all anymore

These kind of threads make me laugh just a little bit. Who cares if we are “pedestrian” the last four games? I couldn’t give two shits. Either you win, you lose, or you win. That’s it.

Oh by the way, the last four games, have been against pretty damn good teams. Ever think of that?

These kind of threads make me laugh just a little bit. Who cares if we are “pedestrian” the last four games? I couldn’t give two shits. Either you win, you lose, or you win. That’s it.
Good for you?
Oh by the way, the last four games, have been against pretty damn good teams. Ever think of that?
The stats he posted are opponent adjusted. Which you would know if you weren’t just parachuting into a thread you don’t give a shit about in order to project your superiority.

• Love
Reactions: RUinLondon
Good for you?

The stats he posted are opponent adjusted. Which you would know if you weren’t just parachuting into a thread you don’t give a shit about in order to project your superiority.
“Project my superiority?” lol not at all…just an opinion based on the OP (which I fully read and comprehend) wficj, IIRC, I’m allowed to have, right? Geeze Louse lol!

“Project my superiority?” lol not at all…just an opinion based on the OP (which I fully read and comprehend) wficj, IIRC, I’m allowed to have, right? Geeze Louse lol!
You are certainly allowed, but opponents being good is not usually a good explanation for trends in opponent adjusted statistics. So you might want something better.

Reactions: RUinLondon
You are certainly allowed, but opponents being good is not usually a good explanation for trends in opponent adjusted statistics. So you might want something better.
My point stands: the ONLY thing that matters, in the end, are wins and losses. That’s it. Being “pedestrian” or otherwise means nada.

to me this team seems tired and maybe "hurting a bit" or even sporting what many get during the winter months who knows--but Pike seemed to be relishing the time off

to me this team seems tired and maybe "hurting a bit" or even sporting what many get during the winter months who knows--but Pike seemed to be relishing the time off
We last played Sunday, why would we be tired?

saw this on the round table from rufromjersey

nj.com article blurb

The Scarlet Knights defended the perimeter well to start the season, holding non-conference opponents to 23.2% shooting on threes. But that number has steadily slipped as conference play ramped up, with Rutgers allowing Big Ten opponents to shoot 38.2% from outside during conference play, which ranks 10th in the league. Since the calendar flipped to 2023, opponents are shooting 40.1% from beyond the arc against the Scarlet Knights, which ranks 308th nationally.

Yup. It’s time for Pike to adjust. MSU put on a clinic on how to exploit our agreeive help defense to generate wide-open three point shots. Now it’s Pike’s turn to counter that against a very good 3-point shooting PSU team that does not turn the ball over.

Yup. It’s time for Pike to adjust. MSU put on a clinic on how to exploit our agreeive help defense to generate wide-open three point shots. Now it’s Pike’s turn to counter that against a very good 3-point shooting PSU team that does not turn the ball over.

MSU shot well above the scouting report, and our defense wasn't playing them like we'd play Penn St. MSU average 38 pts from 2P and 21 from 3P..... against us, they got 26 from 2P and 36 from 3P, almost an inversion of their usual offense.

MSU is 296th in 3PA/g.... while PSU is 12th. Pike will almost certainly be coming into this one with a different defensive approach. I'd say that Iowa's game film may be more helpful to PSU than MSU's game film.

Reactions: Scangg and RU-ROCS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT