ADVERTISEMENT

5 Star Guard Darius Acuff Jr. to visit RU

Good for RU----they woke up and are in the NIL game with all the high end payers .

Now sign these guys.

I'm convinced that all of these elite players know each other, especially if they're from the same area. Darius Acuff and Trey McKenney and current RU commit, Dylan Grant, all played on the same AAU club team - The Family. Which is the AAU club team that Coach Smoke founded.
Looks like I mixed it up, wrong teammate of RU commit

Looks like I mixed it up, wrong teammate of RU commit
These kids play on multiple teams. I think Dylan played on 4-5 different teams in the past 6 months or so he could have played with Bradley Beal elite as these kids are from Michigan/Illinois area.

Reactions: GRU23
I'm convinced that all of these elite players know each other, especially if they're from the same area. Darius Acuff and Trey McKenney and current RU commit, Dylan Grant, all played on the same AAU club team - The Family. Which is the AAU club team that Coach Smoke founded.

It goes beyond just the same area.
NBA guys talk about this all the time.

All the elite guys around the country know each other starting in HS it seems.
A year or two above and below their class.

As said above, playing in different elite teams and leagues.

Many elite players do all know each other, at least by sight and reputation. That is in every sport. The worlds of elite players are small communities. You play with one set of kids on school team, a second set on a local club team and possibly a third set on a national club team. These kids recruit each other at games, camps and tournaments to jump teams.

Reactions: SoCal_Knight
This is exactly what is happening. They all talk and want to be part of this story. Enjoy the ride amazing to watch!

Reactions: High Quality H2O
The irony that generally non-NBA fans criticize and bash players for "teaming up with their friends" and forming super teams is quite amusing.

"Players are too nice to each other. Back in my day, you wanted to play against and beat the best players. Magic and Bird would have never teamed up."

But then when it comes to their own teams it quickly turns into "Great! We got an elite commitment! Now go recruit your friends and create a super team to win a championship!"

Why would you expect that mindset for players to change in the NBA?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Doesn’t the NBA still have a draft in place, at least for players entering the league for the first time?
And team spending caps for player contracts?

Many elite players do all know each other, at least by sight and reputation. That is in every sport. The worlds of elite players are small communities. You play with one set of kids on school team, a second set on a local club team and possibly a third set on a national club team. These kids recruit each other at games, camps and tournaments to jump teams.
They may recruit each other . But at the end of the day they’re going to the best spot to be a lotto pick in a year and make some NIL money.

They may recruit each other . But at the end of the day they’re going to the best spot to be a lotto pick in a year and make some NIL money.
Your statement is an absolute and therefore incorrect. Harper/Acuff and/or many other top recruits may, or may not fit that mold. My bet is that neither you or I actually know.
At the end of the day, each kid is different and motivated by different things. Some/many will go where they can get biggest NIL deal possible. Others will prioritize a place that they feel will best prepare them to make the jump to pro ball. Still others are motivated by winning and will go to a school where they believe they can make big tournament runs.
As a for instance, I know for a fact that a major college basketball recruit went to a specific school, because during his official visit, he was hosted by cheerleaders. All the other schools had players host him. I assume the difference was he got laid more during the visit at the school he signed with.
So these kids trying to recruit each other for club teams, elite high schools and colleges is actually effective, because some will jump.

Reactions: santola
Is this recruiting success despite our modest arena and rare nationally televised games?

Is this recruiting success despite our modest arena and rare nationally televised games?

The arena is packed and extremely loud for almost every game. I would think that works to our recruiting advantage. Especially when fans chant the recruits names.

Does being on a national game even matter to recruits? Who knows? But kids these days don't watch TV anyway - its all about what shows up on social media.

Dickie V. Sellers and Dabney

Well…

If you had to rank the 75-76 team as high school recruits

Phill sellers …high 5 star , top 5 narional

Mike dabney …probably a top 30-40 kid and a high 4 star kid

Hollis Coleman’s …4 star top 80-100 type

Abdel anderson -top 120-140 type…borderline 4 star kid

James Bailey and Eddie jordan would have been “Pike specials “….under the radar kids

Right now …we have a chance to blow that out of the water with

Gavin
Dylan
Bailey
Sommerville
Dortch
Grant

Plus the class of 2025

Well…

James Bailey and Eddie jordan would have been “Pike specials “….under the radar kids

Gavin
Dylan
Bailey
Sommerville
Dortch
Grant

Plus the class of 2025
Anderson was 4-star 80-100 type

Reactions: FastMJ
Well…

Gavin
Dylan
Bailey
Sommerville
Dortch
Grant

Plus the class of 2025
Who is Hollis Coleman ?

Reactions: djrc89
Lest there had still been any doubt, RU basketball clearly has NIL money to spend. These guys wouldn't be wasting their time coming here otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT