ADVERTISEMENT

8 Reasons Ash is Not on Hot Seat

so basically what Ash is doing. Instead of paying Ash 2 million we can pay 4 to Schiano. Solid plan
Who wants to lose to EMU week 14 when you can lose to Tulane in year 10
lmao who wants to still have ZERO B10 wins,lose to a low level mac program who hasnt beaten a power 5 school in 58 straight games? forget about beating MsU,kansas state,IOWA state,Nc State,when u cant beat mighty EMU,at home?

lmao who wants to still have ZERO B10 wins,lose to a low level mac program who hasnt beaten a power 5 school in 58 straight games? forget about beating MsU,kansas state,IOWA state,Nc State,when u cant beat mighty EMU!

Ash hasn't done anything to prove that he's a good coach. This year people were saying the rebuild was over after a 16 point loss. People had some pep in their step. Even Flood had a signature win and came a hell of a lot closer to beating MSU than Ash did to beating Washington. We actually had no shot to beat Washington after the Pettis return.

I said no such thing. As a matter fact - and many here can back me up - most of last year, into the spring and summer, I was one of the people calling this a "tossup" in every way, shape and form, and was grilled about it by some posters.

Don't go putting words into my mouth, thank you.

I meant Knightshift. Sorry.

lmao who wants to still have ZERO B10 wins,lose to a low level mac program who hasnt beaten a power 5 school in 58 straight games? forget about beating MsU,kansas state,IOWA state,Nc State,when u cant beat mighty EMU,at home?
Here's what we know. As of 14 games, Ash hasn't beaten a B1G game. We don't know that he would lose to Tulane in year 10. Greg did

Yeah, but when GS lost to Tulane it had nothing to do with the OL, right? Had the OL not collapsed and Savage stayed we probably would have won the BE among other things.

Also, sad that this had to repeated time and again, but GS inherited the worst program in the FBS that never won a bowl game and Ash inherited a program that went to a bowl game 8 of the prior 10 years.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
This guy had so many first and second year coaches on the hotseat he's gotta figure $$$ means nothing. Rhule gone after year 1? I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in many of his predictions.

Ash is here for year two and three, easily. He's coaching like he absolutely knows he's not being judged until the 3rd season rolls around. Staying away from blowouts, keeping games looking competitive. So when the season is over it'll look better than last. You can sell that to fans, sell that to recruits, to donors.

Without saying so, he's playing it like he started from ground zero. He's not Schiano (who did start from zero). He doesn't have that charisma, that swagger that allowed Schiano to survive those early seasons. And Ash is a lot closer to those successful seasons of his when fans have expectations.

To me, the biggest surprise of the article was the inclusion of Schiano a the replacement.

for perspective
Well, the thread was based on an article from Dunleavy, and point #8 is that Hobbs looks brilliant now for not firing Kevin Willard and extending him in February of 2013 (after his third season). Willard turned it around in year 6. Are you advocating that Hobbs extend Ash?

more interested in the comments...and yes alot of people had concerns with Ash early on. 3-20 speaks for itself, I hope you are not advocating another year

The schedule definitely backs off a bit for next year.

Final Massey rating from last year for the first 6 games:
128 Texas State
3 @OSU
114 @Kansas
127 Buffalo
67 Indiana
99 Illinois

In the third year in a new coach's system, (4-2) shouldn't be a far fetched concept against that lineup, especially getting both Indiana and Illinois at home.

The question is whether Ash will have been able to restock the cupboard enough to capitalize on it.

The answer was no.

Ash is fine and he will be here. The only people freaking out are those that don't know how these things work . He is in charge of a lot and he is moving forward with all the things that bottomed out and now need to go upward. Much of it is beyond the wins and losses after so few games. Good article.

They hadn't bottomed out quite yet had they?

good article. i am for keeping Ash 1 more year as he had to recruit for his style and the Flood players for the most part didn't possess the skills.

This is a dismal season. if no improvement next year we can make a move. There will always be a hot young coach or experienced coach available.

Reactions: rucoe89
I don't think it's fair to conflate the instability in the AD's office to the position of head football coach. Yes, it can be worded in such a way that Rutgers has had three football coaches since 2011, but also so that it has had three football coaches since 2000. One guy was there for 11 years, one guy for four, and now the third is early in his tenure. That's actually as stable as many (more than most?) programs. Yes, the AD office has been a ridiculous turnstyle, all due to bad hires exacerbated by difficult circumstances.

But to Ash being on the hot seat or not: It's way too early to put him there. He's in year two, and he took over a program that was basically broken. Flood did a lot of damage, and it takes time for a football program to recover, especially when it has just moved up in class against opponents that are so well-funded and enjoy traditions of success. That's not to say it's clear he's the right guy, but it's not at all clear to an interested but outside observer that he is not the right guy. It's just way too early to say. He's in the classic race to recruit enough talent to start winning before he loses too much to recruit the requisite talent.
Is the perception of instability a worse look than allowing the program to die and not doing anything about it?

Last edited:
Is the perception of instability a worse look than allowing the program to die and not doing anything about it?
I wrote that a year and a half ago, so the context and the available data are rather different today.

good article. i am for keeping Ash 1 more year as he had to recruit for his style and the Flood players for the most part didn't possess the skills.

This is a dismal season. if no improvement next year we can make a move. There will always be a hot young coach or experienced coach available.

Kinda hard not to improve on a 1 - 11 season... wouldn't ya say?!? The bar has been set so low and the fandom beaten out of so many, that the smallest of crumbs are now sufficient to some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT