ADVERTISEMENT

80 Second Shot Clock

FoxRU

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2012
Apologies for the ignorance but what is the rationale behind the 80 second shot clock? For those who played the game, is this too long/short or just right?

20 seconds to clear the ball or your lose possession then 60 to fire on target or get a goal. A shot on goal where you retain possession gets you a fresh 60. I think it's a good rule as it prevents stalls

Reactions: Wagram97
For college it seems about right. The biggest issue I am seeing now is replay which the B1G isn't doing as of now.

Every remotely big play/call is being reviewed. This ND/GT game has had like 5 of them. These games are going to turn into baseball games if this doesn't end.

For college it seems about right. The biggest issue I am seeing now is replay which the B1G isn't doing as of now.

Every remotely big play/call is being reviewed. This ND/GT game has had like 5 of them. These games are going to turn into baseball games if this doesn't end.

A lot more 2 minute unreleasables being called this year. Not sure whether it's more fouls or tighter calls.

It's tough. Literally any hit that touches the head is a call. They are trying to take the big hits out of the sport which they essentially have, but some of these I've seen are simply not penalties much less 2 minutes unreleaseable. Certainly 20 years ago they weren't even penalties, but things change.

It's tough. Literally any hit that touches the head is a call. They are trying to take the big hits out of the sport which they essentially have, but some of these I've seen are simply not penalties much less 2 minutes unreleaseable. Certainly 20 years ago they weren't even penalties, but things change.

20 years and farther back with the shoulders or forearm were "Great hit!". With the stick maybe a 1 minute crosscheck.

Reactions: Caliknight
20 seconds to clear the ball or your lose possession then 60 to fire on target or get a goal. A shot on goal where you retain possession gets you a fresh 60. I think it's a good rule as it prevents stalls
As a new fan, I like that if a team is up by a goal with a few minutes to go, doesn’t just give them the win by holding onto the ball. From the old games, seemed like if a team had even just a small lead into the 4th, made it really tough for the other team to come back.

Reactions: Caliknight
As a new fan, I like that if a team is up by a goal with a few minutes to go, doesn’t just give them the win by holding onto the ball. From the old games, seemed like if a team had even just a small lead into the 4th, made it really tough for the other team to come back.
So, it used to be a longer shot clock? Any thoughts on whether it will ultimately go to 60 seconds (15 to clear 45 to shoot) to make it more tv friendly or would that actually slow the game down due to more stoppages for possession changes?

So, it used to be a longer shot clock? Any thoughts on whether it will ultimately go to 60 seconds (15 to clear 45 to shoot) to make it more tv friendly or would that actually slow the game down due to more stoppages for possession changes?

There was no shot clock. But stalling was not as easy as you think. Then there was a stall warning which required you maintain possession inside the restraining lines in your offensive zone. With the full field I think 60 is too short.

It all gets back to Princeton in the early to mid 90's. It was inevitable someone would come along and understand with no shot clock you could just grind teams down into submission by passing the ball around for minutes at a time.

For all of the winning Princeton did back then, they really set the game back. It didn't have to be that way towards the end. They had as much or more talent than anyone.

Remember Pete Carrill's Princeton teams? Dean Smith's 4-corners? In other words teams holding the ball until you fell asleep? Princeton's Bill Tierney's Princeton squads played the same way and others followed. "Borrrrring, borrrrring...."....the shot clock is good for the game!

The game was billed as the "fastest game on two feet" in the 70's and 80s. Then it came to a grinding halt. The World Games are currently still in that slow as molasses phase.

The shot clock is the best rule change in lax since the elimination of the horn and limiting to 4 long poles. It has put the game back in the hands of the athletes and brought back the two way middie, both extremely positive developments IMO.

It all gets back to Princeton in the early to mid 90's. It was inevitable someone would come along and understand with no shot clock you could just grind teams down into submission by passing the ball around for minutes at a time.

For all of the winning Princeton did back then, they really set the game back. It didn't have to be that way towards the end. They had as much or more talent than anyone.

And at that point they definitely had the talent. But Tierney didn't often run the score way up against inferior opponents. As I recall he wanted to keep Princeton under 20 in uncompetitive games because of what he dealt with his first year or two as head coach. Sometimes that meant late in the 4th he had freshman out there trying to maintain the stall. That could be educational for them.

Remember Pete Carrill's Princeton teams? Dean Smith's 4-corners? In other words teams holding the ball until you fell asleep? Princeton's Bill Tierney's Princeton squads played the same way and others followed. "Borrrrring, borrrrring...."....the shot clock is good for the game!

Carrill almost put away Georgetown 1 year as the 16th seed in the opening round in March Madness. Different than the 4 corners which was pure stall.

Reactions: Emmitt Otterton
The game was billed as the "fastest game on two feet" in the 70's and 80s. Then it came to a grinding halt. The World Games are currently still in that slow as molasses phase.

Remember the bumper stickers

The shot clock is the best rule change in lax since the elimination of the horn and limiting to 4 long poles. It has put the game back in the hands of the athletes and brought back the two way middie, both extremely positive developments IMO.
Agree 100%. I love the shot clock. I think it’s perfect. Not too long and not too short and of course you can get a reset…

When I go watch high school games in Michigan I find myself looking for shot clocks…it’s now a hard game for me to watch without clocks…

So glad they added the shot clock…its helped the game exponentially IMO and historically speaking I’m still a lacrosse newbie…so to speak

Agree 100%. I love the shot clock. I think it’s perfect. Not too long and not too short and of course you can get a reset…

When I go watch high school games in Michigan I find myself looking for shot clocks…it’s now a hard game for me to watch without clocks…

So glad they added the shot clock…its helped the game exponentially IMO and historically speaking I’m still a lacrosse newbie…so to speak
Yeah, when I watch women's games, I feel like the 90-second shot clock is a bit too long. 80 seems just right.

Sign me up for a thumbs up vote. It seems to be working very well. Allows ample time to score and also helps the defense make a stand. Everyone has adapted to it and it keeps the game moving. Officials also seem in tune now and are able to spot malfunctions, which, fortunately do not occur often.

Reactions: mattkamish
I’ve seen HS teams literally kill the better part of the 4th quarter and only possess the ball 2-3 tires. We were on the winning side both times and was even painful to watch but that’s the game for now. Hopefully not much longer.

Carrill almost put away Georgetown 1 year as the 16th seed in the opening round in March Madness. Different than the 4 corners which was pure stall.
Well aware (was watching that game while working at Charlie Brown's on Route 1 in "Princeton" at the time)and wasn't making a direct comparison to the 2. Could've worded it differently I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT