ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Worst Umpire Decision in MLB History?

Doctor Worm

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2002
Note I did not say worst call. I said worst decision.

It happened in last night's Orioles - White Sox game. Bottom 9, O's up 2 runs, runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Batter hits a high pop near second base. Infield fly rule is called. Runner on second retreats to the base as the shortstop catches the ball near second.

BUT, while retreating to the base, the runner on second barely stepped into the path of the shortstop who was tracking the ball. The runner had no idea he had done so, as the shortshop was behind him. The shortshop, who could see what was happening in front of him, easily stepped around the retreating runner (the retreating walker, actually) and made the routine catch. And none of it mattered anyway, since the batter had already been called out.

Nonetheless, the second base ump saw fit to call the runner out for interference. Double play, game over.

Yeah I guess it's a rule book call, but shouldn't common sense come into play here?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andrew Vaughn is called for interference after an infield fly rule. An Absolutely BRUTAL call to end the game.... <a href="https://t.co/AyhCWwiHeY">pic.twitter.com/AyhCWwiHeY</a></p>&mdash; White Sox Talk (@NBCSWhiteSox) <a href="">May 24, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: RutHut
Note I did not say worst call. I said worst decision.

It happened in last night's Orioles - White Sox game. Bottom 9, O's up 2 runs, runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Batter hits a high pop near second base. Infield fly rule is called. Runner on second retreats to the base as the shortstop catches the ball near second.

BUT, while retreating to the base, the runner on second barely stepped into the path of the shortstop who was tracking the ball. The runner had no idea he had done so, as the shortshop was behind him. The shortshop, who could see what was happening in front of him, easily stepped around the retreating runner (the retreating walker, actually) and made the routine catch. And none of it mattered anyway, since the batter had already been called out.

Nonetheless, the second base ump saw fit to call the runner out for interference. Double play, game over.

Yeah I guess it's a rule book call, but shouldn't common sense come into play here?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Andrew Vaughn is called for interference after an infield fly rule. An Absolutely BRUTAL call to end the game.... <a href="https://t.co/AyhCWwiHeY">pic.twitter.com/AyhCWwiHeY</a></p>&mdash; White Sox Talk (@NBCSWhiteSox) <a href=" ">May 24, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Terrible call…I wish Hawk Harrelson was still on the broadcast for it.

• Haha
Reactions: 4IUSox2
I’ll have to look this one up. Logic would ask how can there be interference when batter already called out.

I read that the outcome (out or safe) doesn’t come into play…and I think guys can advance at their own risk after an infield fly, but the umpire still has discretion whether or not to make the call, and it’s clear that Vaughn wasn’t intentionally interfering to create an opportunity to advance.

Looked like the shortstop initially took a bad angle to the ball and made it appear that the runner was obstructing him.

By going around the runner he was actually in a better position to make the catch.

Terrible call to end the game.

Was this a worse call than screwing that pitcher out of his perfect game?

Was this a worse call than screwing that pitcher out of his perfect game?
It was not a worse call. It was a worse DECISION.

The call you refer to was a blown call. Umpires miss calls all the time. That one was particularly egregious, but shit happens. It happens less frequently nowadays with replay, but it still happens.

What happened on Thursday was an insanely stupid decision, to make a call that did not need to be made, and took the outcome of the game out of the hands of the players.

It was not a worse call. It was a worse DECISION.

The call you refer to was a blown call. Umpires miss calls all the time. That one was particularly egregious, but shit happens. It happens less frequently nowadays with replay, but it still happens.

What happened on Thursday was an insanely stupid decision, to make a call that did not need to be made, and took the outcome of the game out of the hands of the players.
Your last statement is a nonsense argument. Rule is to step on home plate. There is no option. Using your standard, then referees in the Osu/ru bball game made the right non-call.

Your last statement is a nonsense argument. Rule is to step on home plate. There is no option. Using your standard, then referees in the Osu/ru bball game made the right non-call.
I am referring to the White Sox interference call at second base. Not sure what stepping on home plate has to do with anything.

I stand by my last statement. If the call is not made, White Sox have tying run on first with two out. No one knows what would have happened, but the players would have determined it. Instead, the outcome was determined by one man wearing black whom no one paid to see.

I am referring to the White Sox interference call at second base. Not sure what stepping on home plate has to do with anything.

I stand by my last statement. If the call is not made, White Sox have tying run on first with two out. No one knows what would have happened, but the players would have determined it. Instead, the outcome was determined by one man wearing black whom no one paid to see.
Sorry. Mixing up the worst calls in baseball threads. Agree that really wasn’t interference. Now if it resulted in player missing pop and runner taking a base, then I would call it in that case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT