ADVERTISEMENT

A Look at the Team the New Coach is Inheriting

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Defense:
DL- This will be the strength of the defense next year with the following:
Quanzell/Hogan-Hamilton/JPO-Wilkins/Joseph-Turay/Ford

LB- Weakness, HUGE weakness if Longa declares (which I don't think he should)
If longa declares we have zero LB's with playing experience could be in for a very long year.

DB- Although they weren't great this year it's clear we have some talent back there, if properly coached up they could be decent next year. Especially if the DL can get to the qb. I liked some of the flashes I saw out of Bless and Wharton this year. I was disappointed by Kiy as I expected a little more out of him. I'm curious to see how Najee Clayton progresses as he is loaded with talent.

Offense:

QB- Open competition with a lot of talent. Ultimately I think Rettig or Dare win the job.
RB- Loaded with Hicks/Martin and Goodwin as a receiving back.
WR- Need to get stronger and run routes better. Need to get separation and need some players to step up. Vs Norfolk Patton was thrown a solid line drive jump ball and made an acrobatic catch which gives me hope that he can step up and be that guy with a new qb. I'm excited to see Juwann Harris.
TE- Nothing great but some solid football players with Flanagan and Arch. Hopefully Nakia Griffin can step up too.
FB- I think it will be irrelevant as I think we'll go spread with our new coach.
OL- Have to replace Lumpkin which is new easy task but I did like what I saw out of Applefield and Heeman in their limited action and I think Vanesky is really going to push Derrick Nelson for the starting job and he's one meannnnnn dude.

Bottom Line: the incoming head coach has his work cut out for him inheriting a defense that literally may not have a single linebacker. Just be patient next year could be a tough first year, especially on defense.

Reactions: RcoasterA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News