ADVERTISEMENT

Agree with Politi: All playing time for rest of Season should be towards 2017?

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
even Mehringer asked the question out loud at end of presser..at what point to you just play all the younger players,Bah,Jabbie,Oden Sneed.?

How much youth are you willing to go play with the rest of the Big Ten schedule ?" offensive coordinator Drew Mehringer said when this one finally ended. "That's a question you have to answer."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ould_punt_on_this_lost_season_and_make_a.html

Reactions: MozRU
even Mehringer asked the question out loud at end of presser..at what point to you just play all the younger players,Bah,Jabbie,Oden Sneed.?

How much youth are you willing to go play with the rest of the Big Ten schedule with?" offensive coordinator Drew Mehringer said when this one finally ended. "That's a question you have to answer."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ould_punt_on_this_lost_season_and_make_a.html

Completely 100% agree. In fact this may be the best article I've seen written from Politi. As disappointing as this season is (and I admit it is awful), maybe we should start thinking of it as wins and losses not mattering. I would start playing all underclassmen, and rotate series between oden and gio. Start playing all freshman and sophomores for a few series a game. Build on it for the future. What do we have to lose at this point?

T

Reactions: MozRU
OK well now maybe you do this. But in week 3 you don't tell your seniors who happen to be some of your best players (Hamilton, JPO, Lambert, Cioffi, Nelson, Muller) "yeah we are playing kids for next year. Screw your senior season". It really is a fine line to walk as a coach.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
Completely 100% agree. In fact this may be the best article I've seen written from Politi. As disappointing as this season is (and I admit it is awful), maybe we should start thinking of it as wins and losses not mattering. I would start playing all underclassmen, and rotate series between oden and gio. Start playing all freshman and sophomores for a few series a game. Build on it for the future. What do we have to lose at this point?

T

Maybe I'm alone in the fact that I wasn't looking at wins in losses this year from the get go.

OK well now maybe you do this. But in week 3 you don't tell your seniors who happen to be some of your best players (Hamilton, JPO, Lambert, Cioffi, Nelson, Muller) "yeah we are playing kids for next year. Screw your senior season". It really is a fine line to walk as a coach.

I highly doubt those players you mention are the ones who will not be starting.

Reactions: billhilf
I highly doubt those players you mention are the ones who will not be starting.

(Face palm)

You play the players who are most game ready across the roster, usually those are upperclassmen (Laviano) becausevyour seniors who have done everything you asked have earned that much...to go and try to win games. So you don't go to them before the Big Ten schedule even starts and say "we are playing the kids for next year". No one is saying Hamilton and JPO and Cioffi are going to sit. But other upperclassmen, not necessarily seniors, just might.

Last edited:
Reactions: Block R
(Face palm)

You play the players who are most game ready across the roster, usually those are upperclassmen (Laviano) becausevyour seniors who have done everything you asked have earned that much...to go and try to win games. So you don't go to them before the Big Ten schedule even starts and say "we are playing the kids for next year". No one is saying Hamilton and JPO and Cioffi are going to sit. But other upperclassmen, not necessarily seniors, just might.

Exactly. Changes at QB, WR, Center, LB ( can't get any worse) are needed.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
You don't sacrifice redshirts for 5 remaining games. You play the best people who haven't already burned their redshirts. We can still be respectable, especially now that we have our qb.

You don't sacrifice redshirts for 5 remaining games. You play the best people who haven't already burned their redshirts. We can still be respectable, especially now that we have our qb.

No i ageee with not sacrificing red shirts. But I think you start playing your younger players a lot more, while still letting your seniors play a decent amount too.

the state the program is in..you have to start playing ALL freshman..still waiting for Ash to explain what is Oden status..speaking of burned redshirts.There is a better then 90% chance we dont win another game the rest of the way..why wait another whole season to start getting some of these kids reps? This is a lost season and nobody is saying play true freshman over Cioffi,Hamilton ect.. BUT at linebacker,defense ends,WRs and QB,RBs they all need game reps.Season is lost..play them all.. we just lost to Illini,who had not beaten a Div 1 school,and they beat us on road,with their backup QB..nothing to lose..everything to gain now.

Maybe I'm alone in the fact that I wasn't looking at wins in losses this year from the get go.

You're not alone. Neither was I! I predicted 3 maybe 4 wins and that was with Grant. I had hoped to be proven wrong and really I could have been wrong. We should have 4 wins already. We played 2 teams at home (in Iowa and Illinois) where we out gained them in yardage and lost on the scoreboard. So a 4 and 3 record turns into a 2 and 5 record. So at this point of the season I agree to build for next year. I told my brother after the game the same thing as Politi said in the article. Get the younger players as many reps as possible to get them ready to execute this Offense next year. I'm not so worried about the Defensive side of the ball. The D only gave up 17 points, which gave the O plenty of opportunities to win this game. 5 turnovers lost this game.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
the state the program is in..you have to start playing ALL freshman
No, no you don't. If they're not ready, you don't want to force them into duty at this point (burning redshirts), simply because they are freshman (even at LB, DE), unless you have to due to injuries. If you do, you'll end up regretting it 4 years from now. We already played Sneed, Oden and several others (some of whom we likely would have preferred to redshirt under better circumstances). We're not playing for a bowl game at this point.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
You're not alone. Neither was I! I predicted 3 maybe 4 wins and that was with Grant. I had hoped to be proven wrong and really I could have been wrong. We should have 4 wins already. We played 2 teams at home (in Iowa and Illinois) where we out gained them in yardage and lost on the scoreboard. So a 4 and 3 record turns into a 2 and 5 record. So at this point of the season I agree to build for next year. I told my brother after the game the same thing as Politi said in the article. Get the younger players as many reps as possible to get them ready to execute this Offense next year. I'm not so worried about the Defensive side of the ball. The D only gave up 17 points, which gave the O plenty of opportunities to win this game. 5 turnovers lost this game.
the "worry part" of the Defense is losing Hamilton,Cioffi and ZERO talent at linebacker..need JUCO and a fifth year player for next season at Linebacker.

the "worry part" of the Defense is losing Hamilton,Cioffi and ZERO talent at linebacker..need JUCO and a fifth year player for next season at Linebacker.

I agree with you about the JUCO's and I mentioned that a few weeks back. That in order to speed up the process of being competitive again we could get a few JUCO's to insert at key positions. Yes, Hamilton and Cioffi are gone next year and Hamilton will be tough to replace. We must improve our depleted linebacker position for sure. We need lots of help on both sides of the ball. I just feel better about the D than the O right now. Ash started to have our D playing better until the Ohio State/ Michigan games. Yesterday they were not bad in only giving up 17 points.

Duh!!!

Unless you're rutgersal, no one thinks we have a shot at any bowl game...somof course this is all about talent investigating for 2017...

It is important to show improvement this year to give hope for next year. I would not insert the younger guys unless they gave us a better chance to win (or at least be competitive).

this season is no longer about wins..its about 2017

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT