ADVERTISEMENT

Amari Williams.. Drexel Center transfer

Jerseylegends

Junior
Mar 15, 2023
Idk, stats look decent... highlights show some good offensive moves...has anyone seen this guy play a full game? How's he look? This guy seems like a good piece to replace cliff. Possibly a better offensive skill set as well..

Yes. Pretty pointless to post random players that RU should "give a look." Let’s just wait and see.
Just for discussion...I'd rather discuss this than talk down on the players that are leaving. Enough threads on them. Lol moving on...now that cliffs in the portal wanted to know if anyone's seen this guy as I enjoy roster construction and predictions...

I have seen him play in person and few times on TV

Great defensive player with great shot blocking instincts (doesn't just run away from his guy, is good at last second altering shots)

Disappears on offense. He wasn't scoring 20 per game with back to basket bag or anything. Can hit a short jumper though and looks OK doing it. Offers more though because has good IQ, finding guys, hitting cutters etc. Few clips I have seen online with real nice passing highlights from him.

I wouldn't say though that he has a GREAT motor in general

Reactions: Jerseylegends
I have seen him play in person and few times on TV

Great defensive player with great shot blocking instincts (doesn't just run away from his guy, is good at last second altering shots)

Disappears on offense. He wasn't scoring 20 per game with back to basket bag or anything. Can hit a short jumper though and looks OK doing it. Offers more though because has good IQ, finding guys, hitting cutters etc. Few clips I have seen online with real nice passing highlights from him.

I wouldn't say though that he has a GREAT motor in general
Sounds like cliff lol maybe a little better offensively would you say? More consistent rebounder than cliff because of motor?

Sounds like cliff lol maybe a little better offensively would you say? More consistent rebounder than cliff because of motor?
not as athletic as cliff, but he can run the court for sure. more polished around rim for sure than Cliff, but he's not a focus guy on offense, wasn't even really that on Drexel. i meant Williams cple games i saw him there were stretches he didn't seem to have a great motor, but i didn't see him enough to really confirm that though. he would get multiple assists per game here, very capable passer and looks for guys.

I saw him play when Drexel played at Monmouth earlier this year.

He’s tall and a force down low but he didn’t overly impress me.

Another thing that was concerning was his stamina.

He played for about 20-25 minutes. -if that - getting breathers every 4 minutes or so and was not in foul trouble.

It’s a small 1 game sample size but I would have expected a dude like him to be dominating and exertive against a team like Monmouth which did not occur.

I saw him play when Drexel played at Monmouth earlier this year.

He’s tall and a force down low but he didn’t overly impress me.

Another thing that was concerning was his stamina.

He played for about 20-25 minutes. -if that - getting breathers every 4 minutes or so and was not in foul trouble.

It’s a small 1 game sample size but I would have expected a dude like him to be dominating and exertive against a team like Monmouth which did not occur.
25 minutes from any starting big would be fine with a 4 star freshman to spell him.

Reactions: Kbee3
I was told that we would be exceeding the maximum number of Williams allowed

Reactions: FastMJ
Cliff was smart enough to earn an Engineering degree from Rutgers. He is no shut up and dribble for sure.
Think he was referring to basketball IQ. Cliff didn't start playing basketball until he was a teenager so he has to work on some fundamental skills and concepts. Positioning, offensive moves and passing out of the post. When to use a bounce pass, which player to box out and when to start boxing out, when to go for the block and when to box out...would like to get a big that can rebound consistently..

Reactions: toby83 and Kbee3
Think he was referring to basketball IQ. Cliff didn't start playing basketball until he was a teenager so he has to work on some fundamental skills and concepts. Positioning, offensive moves and passing out of the post. When to use a bounce pass, which player to box out and when to start boxing out, when to go for the block and when to box out...would like to get a big that can rebound consistently..
Basketball 24/7 for 8 years now and his basketball IQ is questioned by guys who never played and get their IQ from watching it all there lives.

Basketball 24/7 for 8 years now and his basketball IQ is questioned by guys who never played and get their IQ from watching it all there lives.
I mean...ok lol it's a discussion board. I'm sure some people that haven't played basketball discuss as well. Cliff leaving is a loss to this team, would have liked to see him stay. But now that he's leaving would like to bring in a big that's better in some areas where cliff was lacking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT