ADVERTISEMENT

AND THE ANSWER IS.... Rutgers Football Trivia Time - Sunday, That's My Fun Day

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Rutgers played the first intercollegiate football game on Saturday, November 6, 1869. By 1888, they had played on every day of the week EXCEPT Sunday. For the first time, Rutgers opens a season ON a Sunday (September 3, 2023 vs. Northwestern).

How many Sunday games has Rutgers played in its history and what is their record? Answer tomorrow.

None of those Sunday games have been played in my kitchen. Do I win?

I did play by play for WRSU for the game at Louisville in November 1979 on a Sunday. Saturday was the first day of racing season at Churchill Downs.

Only one wrong answer listed.

Answer coming in the early afternoon.

Only one wrong answer listed.

Answer coming in the early afternoon.
I remember one against Cincinnati - back in the Anderson or Graber days? Pretty sure RU won.

I too seem to remember a Sunday nighter against UConn - in 2006?

I remember one against Cincinnati - back in the Anderson or Graber days? Pretty sure RU won.

I too seem to remember a Sunday nighter against UConn - in 2006?
UConn '06 was a Sunday Night ESPN game. I'm not sure about our bowl games; I know they've been I think almost every day except maybe Sunday.

Joe P.

UConn '06 was a Sunday Night ESPN game. I'm not sure about our bowl games; I know they've been I think almost every day except maybe Sunday.

Joe P.
Now THAT is a sign of a good memory... really.. I saw this question and just shook my head.

Definitely UCONN in 2006. I was going to say the International Bowl but now I remember that being a Saturday. I don't think any of our bowl games were on a Sunday.

Joe P.
Yes that was a game closer than it should be . A bad Uconn team almost pulled a shocker against the greatest rutgers team of all time . Edsall was regarded as a great game day coach around here and it almost proved true. A late punt block by rutgers allowed us to escape!

The Board shows off its long memory and touches on all the answers!

Rutgers is a perfect 3-0 when playing on Sunday:

W - 11-25-1979 Rutgers 31 Louisville 7
Louisville, KY
Fairgrounds Stadium 10,152

W - 9-21-1980 Rutgers 24 Cincinnati 7
Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers Stadium 17,800

W - 10-29-2006 (#16/#16) Rutgers 24 Connecticut 13
Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers Stadium 41,077

As stated earlier, Louisville solved a racing conflict by changing the season finale to Sunday on November 25, 1979.

The high holy day of Yom Kippur fell on game day, September 20, 1980. Students asked Rutgers if it would consider moving the game so they could attend. Rutgers checked with Cincinnati who had no problem with it and Rutgers had its first home Sunday game in history.

And finally, TV sent the October 29, 2006 game with Connecticut to Sunday.

Very impressive memories going on here. Not an easy question.

Yes that was a game closer than it should be . A bad Uconn team almost pulled a shocker against the greatest rutgers team of all time . Edsall was regarded as a great game day coach around here and it almost proved true. A late punt block by rutgers allowed us to escape!
We went up 14-0 in the first half thanks to a sack/fumble/score and were pretty much in control...then the offense short-circuited and Donald Brown started gashing us. We were up 17-13 in the 4th with the offense stuck in neutral and were pretty much one bad play on defense from losing the game..with the defense then blocking a punt for a TD. Final was 24-13 with the offense scoring 10 points.

Joe P.

Reactions: Plum Street

Louisville, KY

Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers Stadium 17,800

Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers Stadium 41,077

As stated earlier, Louisville solved a racing conflict by changing the season finale to Sunday on November 25, 1979.

The high holy day of Yom Kippur fell on game day, September 20, 1980. Students asked Rutgers if it would consider moving the game so they could attend. Rutgers checked with Cincinnati who had no problem with it and Rutgers had its first home Sunday game in history.

We will make it 4-0 in a couple weeks

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Rutgers nearly had the possibility of its first Sunday game back on October 9, 1976 against Connecticut. A torential down pour and 35 mph winds left 3 inches of rain on the field just 15 minutes before kick off at Rutgers Stadium.
The coahces and ADs of the schools said if the rain didn't stop within the quarter hour they would delay the game to another day -- possibly the next day.

Lo and behold, within the time limit set, the rain stopped and the game was eventually played with Rutgers winning game 5 of its undefeated season that year, 38-0. Only 8,500 were in the stands on Homecoming Day.

And it's also the first time I have ever used "Lo and behold" in any sentence.

I had to look this up, but college football can be played on Sundays. However, the NFL is prohibited from playing on Friday night and Saturday during the HS and college football seasons.

Rutgers nearly had the possibility of its first Sunday game back on October 9, 1976 against Connecticut. A torential down pour and 35 mph winds left 3 inches of rain on the field just 15 minutes before kick off at Rutgers Stadium.
The coahces and ADs of the schools said if the rain didn't stop within the quarter hour they would delay the game to another day -- possibly the next day.

Lo and behold, within the time limit set, the rain stopped and the game was eventually played with Rutgers winning game 5 of its undefeated season that year, 38-0. Only 8,500 were in the stands on Homecoming Day.

And it's also the first time I have ever used "Lo and behold" in any sentence.

Indubitably.

Louisville, KY

Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers Stadium 17,800

Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers Stadium 41,077

Perfect! You never disappoint Source!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT