ADVERTISEMENT

Another solid HS recruit who doesn't understand the difficulties of making it on the field in D1

Mike, maybe this will shed a little light on how he ended up at OSU; life long dream, legacy, good receiver.

I had't really focused on this till now, but here is the missing link in your theory. He committed in April 2011, Urban Meyer was hired 6-months later. He was not lined up behind a ton of 5-star commits, in fact OSU had not received a commit in 5-months prior to his commitment and 2011 in general was a tough yr, due to unknown pending sanctions. Frankly he committed to school when it was down, and its future uncertain. The wave of recruits started the next year. I applaud the kid for sticking with OSU when they were down, med schoold is not a sad ending. And yes maybe the schools,fortunes took off 6-months later with the hiring of Meyer,something he absolutely could not have forseen...but i guess you the person who knows what every one is thinking maybe would have forseen that.

And of course this situation with Frank would APPLY TO MANY OTHER RECRUITS! This would shed some light to me why some recruits with lessor star rating would choose to go to places with stacked position rooms...... and that would be due to coaching changes and just unlucky timing when it comes to being on the wrong end of a recruiting wave.

2673158cf3.PNG

Case closed time to move on.

Agreed I don't think I can wade through another 90% of 60 posts being terrible in order to find a truly excellent point. Time for a new thread that is more clear from the git go.

Maybe just maybe he is a member of Scouts or any other recruiting board and doesn't subscribe to Rivals rankings, LOL.

1) You need to believe in the rankings to have influence over your decision making
2) Location may have something to do with it
3) Maybe his girlfriend goes to OSU

Who know and who cares.

What I want to know is why the OP tried to illustrate the point with the weakest example ever. I mean cmon man if you are going to argue something go after the jugular, bring the heat.

I cant even comment on it.

My post above was after reading page 1, this post is after reading page 2.

WTF - the OP is insane, wow

Maybe just maybe he is a member of Scouts or any other recruiting board and doesn't subscribe to Rivals rankings, LOL.

1) You need to believe in the rankings to have influence over your decision making
2) Location may have something to do with it
3) Maybe his girlfriend goes to OSU

Who know and who cares.

What I want to know is why the OP tried to illustrate the point with the weakest example ever. I mean cmon man if you are going to argue something go after the jugular, bring the heat.

I cant even comment on it.

If you're going to be the guy that just HAD to try and get the last word in on this thread..... it would have been nice if you had at least taken the time to make a great point such as RUtix4me.

But no, instead you had to make the statement "1) You need to believe in the rankings to have influence over your decision making"

The whole point of the thread was talking about maximizing your chances at playing time. Rankings have a lot to do with that. Sure there are guys with lower rankings who make it up through the ranks and end up starting. But there are 5x as many guys lower rankeded guy who did not and end up sitting the pine behind a highly ranked recruit and then was passed by a younger higher ranked recruit..

And you're points 2 and 3 are specific to Frank E. and by making those points.... you miss the point that the entire thread was about recruiting and recruits in general and not just Frank E.

And in conclusion, You write in your thread "who knows and who cares" why a recruit chooses to attend a school that is stacked and has a reputation for being stacked in recruiting. Well hey buddy.... that is the whole point of the thread is FOR PEOPLE WHO DO CARE to discuss it and brainstorm. So again I am not sure why you bothered posting in this thread because you clearly had nothing serious to bring and do not "care."

And when you ask why I took the "worst" example it was because it was nothing BUT that..... an example. I just happened to be cruising around old recruiting stuff and came across this Frank E. character. He fit the mold of being a highly ranked 3 star recruit and then I look at his stats and he has 1 rec for 6 yards. And the thread went from there.

If you have "better" examples and feel like creating you're own thread by all means brother nobody stopping you.

Ok. I think I understand your posts now.

Everyone who responds to your post just doesn't get it, or at least 90% of us don't.

4-5 Star athletes at OSU and 3 Star athletes buried on the depth charts knew what they were getting into so they didn't make a mistake, but a three star going to OSU and a 1 star going to Rutgers is a mistake because they didn't know what they were getting into.

Your specific example isn't really a specific example.

In all seriousness, I do appreciate any OP that generates conversation. Most of us do understand what you are trying to say, the disagreement is on your example and the defense of your argument. As I hard before, anyone who doesn't play can look in hindsight and think going elsewhere would have given them a better chance to play, regardless of Star status. In fact, that's why some players transfer.

If your above post was truly your last one in this thread, I look forward to debating points with you in the future. While I disagreed with you I do respect your willingness to respond to others with counter opinions.

I can't believe this thread is three pages. kid is from ohio, was prob his dream to go to OSU. so he didn't get to play, and his fall back is med school??? and thats a bad thing? Im so confused. can't begrudge a kid for choosing prob his dream school since he's from ohio (what a novelty, a kid from a state that wanted to stay home and rep his state school……..) As Mad Dog russo would say "tewwible job by the OP here in a big spot!"

The OP is right - he could have had a an actual college football career in addition to the education elsewhere. For every Frank Epitropoulos, there are 50 other kids that run the same route and don't end up in medical school, so his point is valid. It's a lot more fun playing than it is being a tackle dummy for 3 years.

Is this a joke? Kid got to be on one the most elite team in CFB. I guess within 3yrs he figured out his chance at the NFL wasn't going to pan out. Better that he found out earlier rather than later so he could change gears and go to MED SCHOOL!!!

Even if the kid went to a different school there are no guarantees either...

The OP is right - he could have had a an actual college football career in addition to the education elsewhere. For every Frank Epitropoulos, there are 50 other kids that run the same route and don't end up in medical school, so his point is valid. It's a lot more fun playing than it is being a tackle dummy for 3 years.
But it was his choice to play for his dream school. I have yet to see anyone post that Frank has expressed any regrets with his decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT