ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watch 'The First 48'?

KJ_RU

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
I occasionally watch'The First 48', saw an episode tonight where one of the marshals was rocking a Rutgers cap, this is the second episode where I've seen this guy wearing Rutgers gear. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it.

I used to watch the ones in Miami. It's a really cool reality show. What city are you talking about?

Dupe...

This post was edited on 3/6 8:15 AM by KingHigh

Originally posted by KJ_RU:
I occasionally watch'The First 48', saw an episode tonight where one of the marshals was rocking a Rutgers cap, this is the second episode where I've seen this guy wearing Rutgers gear. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it.
The episode you're speaking of is 'Red Brick / Last Kiss'. It takes place in Dallas.

The marshal who is wearing the Rutgers cap is Det.B.K. Nelson. What his connection is to Rutgers, or even if he has any, I have no idea.

One of the best shows out there....it is virtually a lesson on how you get caught after committing a murder , or better yet how to avoid it.....first rule....always dispose of the body.....the body contains a lot of clues.

Miami and Memphis cops were the best. (City of Memphis I believe finally canceled their agreement because the show gave the perception that Memphis was a dangerous city, people getting murdered over nothing in many cases).

The new A&E show Nightwatch (from New Orleans) is pretty cool too...as the cover Police, Fire, EMT from 8 pm to 4 AM...which is when that city goes nuts on almost a nightly basis.

One of my boys always wants to watch this show; has become my least favorite TV show - totally not appropriate for young teenagers. Not to mention the pack of ne'er do wells and total losers populating the show. Exceptionally depressing. I would rather have to watch the Oprah Channel non-stop than this show.

I caught an episode of the spin-off, After the First 48, last night. It revisits original First 48 episodes and tells you how the investigation and trial played out. Was pretty interesting. I agree that the show is well done.

What I don't get...and never will get...is why people don't just repeat the following:

I WANT MY LAWYER.

This isn't Gitmo. I'm not going to attach your nut sack to a car battery until you start talking. Why people rat themselves out is a interesting swatch of human psychology.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:
Miami and Memphis cops were the best. (City of Memphis I believe finally canceled their agreement because the show gave the perception that Memphis was a dangerous city, people getting murdered over nothing in many cases).

The new A&E show Nightwatch (from New Orleans) is pretty cool too...as the cover Police, Fire, EMT from 8 pm to 4 AM...which is when that city goes nuts on almost a nightly basis.
You have to wonder what these cities are thinking when they agree to this. Of course an A&E reality show like this is going to sensationalize and stereotype urban violence. What did Memphis officials expect? Rhapsodic episodes about the deliciousness of their barbecue? Sensitive portrayals of hard working residents?

I've never seen it but I lived this show for 11 years as robbery/homicide Detective between 1998 and 2009. Probably involved in between 150 and 200 homicides and was ""lead" on over 30. The change that took place when DNA evidence became more and more prominent in investigations was incredible. Every case brought something different. I don't miss the phone calls at 3AM but I'm glad I had the opportunity to work in that field. I'll never run out of stories to tell.

Originally posted by ruhudsonfan:
I caught an episode of the spin-off, After the First 48, last night. It revisits original First 48 episodes and tells you how the investigation and trial played out. Was pretty interesting. I agree that the show is well done.

What I don't get...and never will get...is why people don't just repeat the following:[/B]

I WANT MY LAWYER.

This isn't Gitmo. I'm not going to attach your nut sack to a car battery until you start talking. Why people rat themselves out is a interesting swatch of human psychology.
What I don't get is how someone can just take another one's life over the most trivial things in life (a look, a dis, a rumor, pack of cigs, $5, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc...).

Plus, whats worse is how almost no one in those neighborhoods ever helps out the cops during most investigations except the victim's family...who in the past admit they never helped cops with other shootings...and are only doing so because they lost a loved one.

Its sad that some only want the cops help when it "happens to them".

I think its a great show that exposes just how some people in almost every city are basically "non-human".

This post was edited on 3/7 5:35 AM by Knight_Light

What I don't get...and never will get...is why people don't just repeat the following:[/B]

I WANT MY LAWYER.

What I don't get is how someone can just take another one's life over the most trivial things in life (a look, a dis, a rumor, pack of cigs, $5, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc...).

Plus, whats worse is how almost no one in those neighborhoods ever helps out the cops during most investigations except the victim's family...who in the past admit they never helped cops with other shootings...and are only doing so because they lost a loved one.

I think its a great show that exposes just how some people in almost every city are basically "non-human".

I actually had a much higher solve rate on homicides than on non-fatal shootings. People were more willing to cooperate when someone died instead of taking the "we'll handle it ourselves" approach in non-fatal shootings.

Originally posted by RUissy:

I WANT MY LAWYER.

I actually had a much higher solve rate on homicides than on non-fatal shootings. People were more willing to cooperate when someone died instead of taking the "we'll handle it ourselves" approach in non-fatal shootings.
Sadly, there are a lot more shootings than murders...which is why the broken glass theory (i.e. see a broken window in an empty/unused building...its ok for others to break the other windows) that allows crime to infest and take over neighborhoods...as those that live there do nothing about those crimes.

This show is always a tug of war with me on whether to watch or not. I love the show but then I feel that by watching it I'm helping to showcase and celebrate these thugs? Call me crazy I guess?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT