ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Arella Guirantes selected in the 2021 WNBA Draft

Total hor$hit! Arella was expected to go as the number 3 pick in the draft and ends up 22nd. What???!!! I realize a lot of the time it's the right fit or needs of a team. But projected at #3 and then goes late in the 2nd round. No one can tell me she was not better than 10 of the guards that went ahead of her. I hope she has a major chip on her shoulder and kicks a$$ with the Sparks.

Total hor$hit! Arella was expected to go as the number 3 pick in the draft and ends up 22nd. What???!!! I realize a lot of the time it's the right fit or needs of a team. But projected at #3 and then goes late in the 2nd round. No one can tell me she was not better than 10 of the guards that went ahead of her. I hope she has a major chip on her shoulder and kicks a$$ with the Sparks.
Agreed 100%. Very odd.

LA is a good fit for her...Derek Fisher is a good dude and knows what it takes to be a great guard...this should work out for Arella...

LA is a good fit for her...Derek Fisher is a good dude and knows what it takes to be a great guard...this should work out for Arella...
I love that she's playing in L.A. I'll get a chance to see her play. But with that said, why did she go from a projected #3 to 22nd? Can someone please tell me?

I said a month ago she is not quick or shifty and somewhat slow when she tries to drive. That won’t work against quicker, better, faster pros. Maybe the scouts feel the way I do?

Reactions: shields
There were some very obscure players picked ahead of Arella. When the Liberty passed on her twice, I felt that was a bad sign. The scouts saw something however she’s always been an overachiever and worked hard to develop her game. She’ll be with Wheeler in LA so that should be an inspiration.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I said a month ago she is not quick or shifty and somewhat slow when she tries to drive. That won’t work against quicker, better, faster pros. Maybe the scouts feel the way I do?
Well, I guess we'll have to see right? Obviously, the prognosticators know a little about BB too and they had her as a #3 pick. She played in a very challenging league and averaged over 21 points a game. I think she'll surprise at the next level and personally, I believe the Sparks got a steal in getting her when they did.

Well, I think it was her play as well, but different. In what I saw this season, especially the televised games later in the season, she appeared to be pressing and trying to show how WNBA ready she was. I said this at the time, this is not hindsight. Nor do I think she is unique in doing that. But - and this is the big but - I was very disappointed in her play in those games. It came off as a tad selfish (it may not have been, but at times it looked it) and she just wasn't particularly successful in showcasing herself.

Compare to Aari - who was projected at #8 and went #3. She stepped up her play but - it was within the offense largely. And she only looked less than great against Stanford, who was, of course, very prepared for her.

Well, I think it was her play as well, but different. In what I saw this season, especially the televised games later in the season, she appeared to be pressing and trying to show how WNBA ready she was. I said this at the time, this is not hindsight. Nor do I think she is unique in doing that. But - and this is the big but - I was very disappointed in her play in those games. It came off as a tad selfish (it may not have been, but at times it looked it) and she just wasn't particularly successful in showcasing herself.

Compare to Aari - who was projected at #8 and went #3. She stepped up her play but - it was within the offense largely. And she only looked less than great against Stanford, who was, of course, very prepared for her.
You know I agree with you on this because I too mentioned this problem, going back to the latter part of last season. Arguably, her signature moment, in front of a national TV audience vs. OSU last year, led to the habits that we saw develop in the last few games last year, and in too many games this year. The hero ball often led to losses against the better teams.

As I said before, coming back for this year, placing pressure on herself to preserve or improve draft stock and be BIG POY/AA, did not help matters.

In her defense, a key factor in her feeling the need to resort to hero ball in the postseason games, was the lack of reliable perimeter shooting from Mack and Giles, coupled with Tyia's inconsistent play in the post. It allowed good teams to frustrate Arella. Similar to what Aari faced against Stanford. Iowa and BYU counted on others missing shot. They tailored the defense to contain Arella and Diamond and force the other 3 starters to try to score. It worked, because the other three were not consistent enough to make teams pay.

Lastly, I felt Arella had a little subconscious Sr vs Fr power struggle going on. Like on 'love and basketball', that is kind of a natural Sr reaction when a Fr as talented as Diamond comes into the picture and challenges as possibly the best player on the team. I think it affected Arella's decision-making with the ball.

All that said, she still should have gone before some of those that were picked before her. Hopefully, the chip that she carries on her shoulder into camp will make her work harder than everyone else because that's what it's going to take too make a WNBA roster. I can see some of those 1st and 2nd rounders not making the cut.

Well, I guess we'll have to see right? Obviously, the prognosticators know a little about BB too and they had her as a #3 pick. She played in a very challenging league and averaged over 21 points a game. I think she'll surprise at the next level and personally, I believe the Sparks got a steal in getting her when they did.
Guarantes was a outstanding scorer for Rutgers but she had a mediocre season shooting 3 pointers as compared to some other guards in the draft.Guards are a dime a dozen in college and it takes exceptional ability to get drafted and stay on NBA rosters.It was a difficult night for Guarantes with her picture being shown at the start of the telecast and her name not being announced to the end of the second round.Hopefully.,this will give her added motivation to show teams that they made a bad draft decision.

Last edited:
How many of her three point shots was at the end of the shot clock? Forcing up shots at last minute.

Time will tell as to who was correct, this board or the professional scouts who make those decisions. I hope it is this board for Arella’s sake. Good luck girl.

Guarantes was a outstanding scorer for Rutgers but she had a mediocre season shooting 3 pointers as compared to some other guards in the draft.Guards are a dime a dozen in college and it takes exceptional ability to get drafted and stay on NBA rosters.It was a difficult night for Guarantes with her picture being shown at the start of the telecast and her name not being announced to the end of the second round.Hopefully.,this will give her added motivation to show teams that they made a bad draft decision.
Yes and no. She can still knock down threes and I think you forgot that she lasted until the semifinal round in this year's WNBA threes event. Yes, guards a dime a dozen, but I see Arella more as a wing player in the pros. She will not be asked to play the point and is not a dribble drive kind of player. IMO, her game is built for the WNBA.

Some of the guards picked ahead of Arella were mind numbing.

Arella significantly improved her 3-point shooting in college; her first with RU she shot 23% from 3-point range; the last two years she shot 38.5% and 36.3% respectively.

For perspective, Stephanie Watts, who the LA Sparks for some reason picked in the first round, shot 30% from 3 the past year.

Reactions: RU MAN
I'm still trying to figure this debacle out, and can't. On a personal level I am wayyy p'sst off. Cannot imagine how this great young lady got so cheated. I hope she rips the league up.
Also, playing out in LA we will get almost zero/zilch coverage(TV) here on the East coast. Hope Wheeler shows her the ropes. Lastly, dear NY Liberty, screw you too.

Reactions: RUcrazee and RU MAN
I love that she's playing in L.A. I'll get a chance to see her play. But with that said, why did she go from a projected #3 to 22nd? Can someone please tell me?
Because like I said elsewhere....something is very, very fishy with this whole situation.

I guess Scarlette 12 WNBA GM’s know more than you or some of ESPN’s tdd as lying heads know.

Because like I said elsewhere....something is very, very fishy with this whole situation.
I don't know about "fishy" but Derek Fisher went out of his way to say and I'm paraphrasing, "The fact that Arella a first round draft choice is still available in the second round, we had to take her."

The fact that Derek Fisher is also the GM should make one wonder why he was quick to take her in the second round, even if the other so-called gm's had something on her that was negative. Personally, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and I believe Arella will kick a$$ and show the other 11 gm's what they missed on.

Reactions: MADHAT1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NCAA_Women's_Basketball_All-Americans (scroll down toward the bottom)

And I'll tell you what's even more insulting than the AP AA Hon Men...........The decision of that Senior Class Award committee putting Arella on the All-Senior 2nd team (out of only two teams). That is just Criminal!!!

We could all clearly see that AG would have been, at worst, 2nd in the voting if not for the hackers for Rennia and the girl from Maine or wherever she was from. And considering the other criteria, no way she ends up missing out on their 1st team.

Arella deserved better from these committees.

Just sayin!........>We've gotten the short end so many years when it came to tournament selection or region placement; >immediately after signing with RU, Diamond gets snubbed from the McDonalds AA team and game; >and now Arella's, somewhat, snubs last year(Doyle got Big10 POY) and this year. Just a coincidence?

I won't even mention the lack of TV exposure compared to everyone else, over the last few years. I think Fordham and Canisius may have had more games on TV than RUWBB.
Like I said before, ......this kind of thing happens to us way too often. Definitely something fishy. And like Mad stated in an earlier post today, We hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

When it got past the Liberty's first pick and still no Arella , I said to myself....."Here we go, again!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT