ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Women's Basketball G Jillian Huerter enters the transfer portal

Reactions: KevH and Bon1674
On Fire Burn GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Wow. It's hard to interpret that as anything but a vote of no confidence in Washington. Huerter received good playing time as a freshman and, I imagine, would even receive more time as a sophomore.
Exactly what I was thinking. What especially stood out to me was the part of her tweet that said, and I'm paraphrasing, "After discussing it with my family...". That's got no confidence written all over it. Or, is it no $$, or both?

The timing couldn't be worse to try and lift this program out of the mud. With an abundance of playing time available, and with the NIL-driven culture of every player for themselves, players should not only be staying, but they should be lining up to play here. That is, if we had the $$ to pay them. It doesn't seem to me that we do.

Exactly what I was thinking. What especially stood out to me was the part of her tweet that said, and I'm paraphrasing, "After discussing it with my family...". That's got no confidence written all over it. Or, is it no $$, or both?

The timing couldn't be worse to try and lift this program out of the mud. With an abundance of playing time available, and with the NIL-driven culture of every player for themselves, players should not only be staying, but they should be lining up to play here. That is, if we had the $$ to pay them. It doesn't seem to me that we do.
It will be interesting to see what program she ends up with. Did she not like the team culture? Did she feel like Washington was not helping to coach up/make use of her abilities?

Reactions: KevH
Looks like RU WBB is in dire need of someone who can keep the program together
and Queasy looks, because of all the transfers, like she's not the one that can do it, but part of the problem

• Wow
Reactions: bac2therac
This does make you wonder about her motivation to leave the program.

But when you look at all the entries into the portal, and also think about what you are seeing in College football with the portal, ...... it seems that any student-athletes who don't necessarily have a satisfying, solidified spot in the rotation may be figuring that it is in their best interest to put their name into the portal when it opens to see all of their options.

They may just be reading the room, seeing that they may be trending toward a fall on the depth chart, with the kind of talent that is being targeted and expected to come aboard.

Another thing I've noticed, is that so far this portal season, most entrants are players that are key pieces/contributors on their teams. Many are mid major All-Conference players possibly looking to move up to a power 5, maybe?? It's like, ....they are realizing that they have impressive stats and/or highlight footage, and are now trying to see what they can cash them in for. As if they were using the opportunity the prior school provided as a stepping-stone to a program they couldn't access before or just believe is a potential better fit or a step up.

Jillian showed she can shoot it. Everyone can use 3-pt shooting . Erica showed the same in the last three games of her 4-year career at RU. I just hope they both have their new destination pretty much locked up already. There are so many good players entering the portal....players like Erica and Jillian could easily end up stuck in the portal like so many others have regretfully experienced.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what program she ends up with. Did she not like the team culture? Did she feel like Washington was not helping to coach up/make use of her abilities?
My guess is Maryland.

- Jillian can continue playing Big Ten ball at the B1G university closest to Rutgers.
- Maryland women's basketball has both long term winning tradition and coaching stability. Maryland head coach Brenda has been on job for 21 years and is winner. 78% winning percentage, 3 Final Fours, and a national championship.
- Jillian's older brother Kevin played ball at Maryland, was drafted in NBA first round, and starts for Sacramento Kings.

How could Jillian not pick up the phone when Brenda calls, and how could Jillian not follow Brenda's advice to come to Maryland, play at the same B1G competition level but in a proven and stable system, while living on campus she is familiar with because brother attended school there too?

Reactions: coldsprings
My guess is Maryland.

- Jillian can continue playing Big Ten ball at the B1G university closest to Rutgers.
- Maryland women's basketball has both long term winning tradition and coaching stability. Maryland head coach Brenda has been on job for 21 years and is winner. 78% winning percentage, 3 Final Fours, and a national championship.
- Jillian's older brother Kevin played ball at Maryland, was drafted in NBA first round, and starts for Sacramento Kings.

How could Jillian not pick up the phone when Brenda calls, and how could Jillian not follow Brenda's advice to come to Maryland, play at the same B1G competition level but in a proven and stable system, while living on campus she is familiar with because brother attended school there too?
If that's what caused her to enter the portal, there could be a BIG problem. Right?!

Wouldn't that be tampering???

I, personally, don't think Jillian is Brenda's type of recruit. If Jillian did end up there, I wouldn't expect to see her on the court much. Brenda's perimeter players are usually stronger, two-way players. Jillian needs a lot of strengthening to be effective off the dribble and defensively. Brenda can get girls who already bring that along with shooting.

All that said, ......you could be right. I'm really interested to see where she and Erica are headed, or if they are testing the waters with the understanding from CW that they can come back to RU if the portal doesn't work out.

Reactions: Fat Koko
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT