ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Women's Basketball G Kaylene Smikle enters the transfer portal

in today's buyout world that's very reasonable.
But for Rutgers buyouts are avoid at all cost and coaches are kept, even if they deserve to go, until their expatriation date no matter how bad the program smells.
When firing for cause, Rutgers finds a way to mess that up and still have to pay.
I talked about this buyout situation on the women’s lacrosse board these coaches have 1 good season and Hobbs extends all their contracts and while 2.75million is not a lot in this day and age we are not completely flush with cash to let these coaches go and these sports are mired in mediocrity of course the women program is not even mediocre
If she doesn’t at least go in with a nearly full squad next year than that is a very bad sign because injuries are going to happen and you need some sort of depth

Just to be clear, I looked at a 10 year stretch, I don't remember if it was the seasons ending in 2000 through 2009 or 2001 through 2010. Those 5 years beginning around 2005 were the best of it, although no matter what metric I looked at - total wins, regular season finish, NCAA tournament seed, NCAA tournament finish - for the period I looked at, we consistently in almost every metric were top 10, but barely, and then it declined. All those teams were - for the period - top 10 and higher than we were.

The largest point is that we were not really first rate long enough to establish Rutgers as an elite program. Very good, yes, but before that decade and after it (as we read ad infinitum on here) we just were not.

Those years you mention were years when UConn for one reason or another did not win a championship - but they did before and after. Tennessee has slipped a lot since those days as well - but neither as far as Rutgers and with a far more notable history.

I am very pleased with Rutgers success over the years, but it just is what it is.
if we were not elite, why were we still paying cvs at a top level and why were we so patient through obvious decline in results and attendence at RU..sure a couple of first round exits in the ncaa tourney but that is nothing to write home about. She failed to capitalize off of ANYTHING after that final 4 appearance

i need to keep repeating she is responsible for the mess we are in now because everyone just wants to move on about it

if we were not elite, why were we still paying cvs at a top level and why were we so patient through obvious decline in results and attendence at RU..sure a couple of first round exits in the ncaa tourney but that is nothing to write home about. She failed to capitalize off of ANYTHING after that final 4 appearance

i need to keep repeating she is responsible for the mess we are in now because everyone just wants to move on about it
She did a really nice job getting local talent and point guards from chi town. Then that no. 1 class of women who wanted to play for her after the I'm a mess and that turned into crap. How the hell did that happen?

yep.....the problem was this the least desired major conference coaching job in the country...let that one seep in
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

After the great years CVS kept RU WBB a pretty good program while during and after the woman's good times the men's program was a dumpster fire.
What Stringer did was keep on winning without support.

Her exit did cause this mess because she refused to acknowledge that her health wasn't good enough to keep coaching and the leave of absence she took helped the quick decline
The 2021-22 season was the leave of absence year with Tim Eatman in charge
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–2022)​
2014–15Rutgers23–1012–6T–4thNCAA Division I Second Round
2015–16Rutgers19–157–9T–9thWNIT Second Round
2016–17Rutgers6–243–13T–11th
2017–18Rutgers20–127–9T–9th
2018–19Rutgers22–1013–53rdNCAA Division I First Round
2019–20Rutgers22–911–7T–5thCanceled due to COVID-19
2020–21Rutgers14–510–33rdNCAA Division I First Round
2021–22Rutgers11–203–1413th

After the great years CVS kept RU WBB a pretty good program while during and after the woman's good times the men's program was a dumpster fire.
What Stringer did was keep on winning without support.

Her exit did cause this mess because she refused to acknowledge that her health wasn't good enough to keep coaching and the leave of absence she took helped the quick decline
The 2021-22 season was the leave of absence year with Tim Eatman in charge
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–2022)​
2014–15Rutgers23–1012–6T–4thNCAA Division I Second Round
2015–16Rutgers19–157–9T–9thWNIT Second Round
2016–17Rutgers6–243–13T–11th
2017–18Rutgers20–127–9T–9th
2018–19Rutgers22–1013–53rdNCAA Division I First Round
2019–20Rutgers22–911–7T–5thCanceled due to COVID-19
2020–21Rutgers14–510–33rdNCAA Division I First Round
2021–22Rutgers11–203–1413th
Worse than i thought

She did a really nice job getting local talent and point guards from chi town. Then that no. 1 class of women who wanted to play for her after the I'm a mess and that turned into crap. How the hell did that happen?
That's a fairly easy one. These were not players we were really looking at, all quite high level recruits, however. After the "mess", they came calling and we took them, regardless of whether they were a good fit.

They pretty much ensured the future with an aging coach.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

It is very, very difficult to fire a coach who has a winning record, especially when they are a legend in the game.

Now, the salary could have been tied to results, of course.

Yes, the mess we are in is 100% due to Coach Stringer trying to stay the coach too long and the Rutgers administration permitting it. We get it. I don't see why we can't move on - whether with Coach Washington or someone else.

And we were not elite because we were maybe the 10th best team in the country for a significant length of time. Elite teams win Nattys, consistently challenge for the FF, and are top 5 year in and year out. We were very, very good and the level we were at - had it continued - probably merited the salary. Of course it didn't continue.

It is very, very difficult to fire a coach who has a winning record, especially when they are a legend in the game.

Now, the salary could have been tied to results, of course.

Yes, the mess we are in is 100% due to Coach Stringer trying to stay the coach too long and the Rutgers administration permitting it. We get it. I don't see why we can't move on - whether with Coach Washington or someone else.

And we were not elite because we were maybe the 10th best team in the country for a significant length of time. Elite teams win Nattys, consistently challenge for the FF, and are top 5 year in and year out. We were very, very good and the level we were at - had it continued - probably merited the salary. Of course it didn't continue.
What Vivian did was keep the program relevant, without the the type of support and facilities that helps make programs winning ones.
Yes she stayed too long, but also kept Rutgers WBB a winner until CVS decided to take a leave of absence because her health wouldn't permit her to coach and she refused to admit her health wouldn't improve enough so she could return as HC.
That stubbornness helped start the quick decline, but that same stubbornness kept the program winning when the other basketball program was a disaster.

Hobbs needs to start looking for a replacement if CW doesn't show she can make RU a winner and pay the type of salary to bring in someone that can .
On the cheap won't bring in the type of HC that can fix this disaster if Washington
has another terrible year and with the defections, next year might be worse

For those wondering, here are her contract terms per NJ.com article:

May 23, 2022 – March 31, 2023: $725,000 (prorated on an annualized basis)
April 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024: $750,000
April 1, 2024 – March 31, 2025: $775,000
April 1, 2025 – March 31, 2026: $800,000
April 1, 2026 – March 31, 2027: $825,000
April 1, 2027 – March 31, 2028: $850,000

I won't post the other bonuses as she won't reach them. However, if they hit certain academic levels she can get a $10,000 bonus.

She ain't going anywhere for at least 2 more seasons.

Reactions: bac2therac
For those wondering, here are her contract terms per NJ.com article:

May 23, 2022 – March 31, 2023: $725,000 (prorated on an annualized basis)
April 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024: $750,000
April 1, 2024 – March 31, 2025: $775,000
April 1, 2025 – March 31, 2026: $800,000
April 1, 2026 – March 31, 2027: $825,000
April 1, 2027 – March 31, 2028: $850,000

I won't post the other bonuses as she won't reach them. However, if they hit certain academic levels she can get a $10,000 bonus.

She ain't going anywhere for at least 2 more seasons.
This shows her buyout will be reasonably,waiting till April to make a change
if $1 mil is considered a reasonable
amount

Details of Coquese Washington’s Rutgers contract: Salary, buyout, bonuses, more for C. Vivian Stringer’s successor - nj.com
https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2022/05/...es-more-for-c-vivian-stringers-successor.html

What Vivian did was keep the program relevant, without the the type of support and facilities that helps make programs winning ones.
Yes she stayed too long, but also kept Rutgers WBB a winner until CVS decided to take a leave of absence because her health wouldn't permit her to coach and she refused to admit her health wouldn't improve enough so she could return as HC.
That stubbornness helped start the quick decline, but that same stubbornness kept the program winning when the other basketball program was a disaster.

Hobbs needs to start looking for a replacement if CW doesn't show she can make RU a winner and pay the type of salary to bring in someone that can .
On the cheap won't bring in the type of HC that can fix this disaster if Washington
has another terrible year and with the defections, next year might be worse

It was not relevant after the sweet 16 in 2009? By beating Auburn at home..that was it for Rutgers as a national player

Note huge underperforming with nba players

It was not relevant after the sweet 16 in 2009? By beating Auburn at home..that was it for Rutgers as a national player

Note huge underperforming with nba players
I thinking you meant WNBA players.

If you're referring to Betnijah, Kahleah, and Erica, let me remind you, they were still playing UConn during that time. Those groups played quite respectably, but did not have post play to match the top teams of that time. UConn, especially.

Once they added Tyler Scaife to solidify ball-handling, (as we stated in Erica Thread, Erica wasn't the best ball handler back then and was not a pure PG) and Rachel Hollivey(who was a true rim protector that we rarely had over those down years) in the post, this group was one that had to be reckoned with. Definitely capable of doing damage in the NCAA Tourney, this group unfortunately got snubbed by the Tourney committee. They really didn't like CVS. I'm convinced. That team went on to take the WNIT Championship concluding another 20+win season.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT