ADVERTISEMENT

Ash recruiting

jakeknight

Senior
Jan 29, 2009
So far retained 3 early enrollees added one more
like the fact that 4 of the first 5 CA recruits are from NJ, look to be very good athletes who can run and are from top NJ programs (and influential coaches)
Love the QB commit, gets someone in the program right away that can run a spread (even if he redshirts) Kid has tremendous arm strength and excellent feet and speed.
Glad to see that we are not taking "fillers" it appears that all these kids are good athletes from elite level programs that have a good chance to contribute.
Also like that CA is building relationships with the elite level coaches and programs in the state.
Given the timing and lateness things look pretty positive, including T. Mack and the whole PSU try.
Would have been nice to retain a few more commits but we simply don't know how CA & staff felt about some of KF commits. (Classy move of Ash to indicate that all KF's commits retained their offer and sort it out quietly)
Would have liked to have a huge flip or get but that may not be in the cards, and is probably overly optimistic at this point given the givens.

So far retained 3 early enrollees added one more
like the fact that 4 of the first 5 CA recruits are from NJ, look to be very good athletes who can run and are from top NJ programs (and influential coaches)
Love the QB commit, gets someone in the program right away that can run a spread (even if he redshirts) Kid has tremendous arm strength and excellent feet and speed.
Glad to see that we are not taking "fillers" it appears that all these kids are good athletes from elite level programs that have a good chance to contribute.
Also like that CA is building relationships with the elite level coaches and programs in the state.
Given the timing and lateness things look pretty positive, including T. Mack and the whole PSU try.
Would have been nice to retain a few more commits but we simply don't know how CA & staff felt about some of KF commits. (Classy move of Ash to indicate that all KF's commits retained their offer and sort it out quietly)
Would have liked to have a huge flip or get but that may not be in the cards, and is probably overly optimistic at this point given the givens.

I think Ash has done a good job ths far and he has a chance to get a few more in the fold this weekend. what is most important is that he got a qb that should make a difference . considering the late start , tjis is a very good effort that should please everyone. Not to pontificate, but here is what is important when it comes to recruiting, explained to me by johnny majors years ago . there are 85 guys on a roster....of those 85 , only 35 are needed to make up the three deep.......that leaves 50 players .....subtract the 17 that will redshirt and you have 33 players who will jnot see the field. if you distribute the 35 on the three deep you will see that you need roughly 7 recruits per class to contribute to be successful. just 7. If you can get a playmaker or two each recruiting class,you are in business. I think Ash can achieve this and be very competive. It just takes a little time and patience.

Agree, given the late start CA has so far recruited people who have a chance to contribute, he has also strategically gone to and gotten kids from top programs/coaches in the state. Plus Oden was huge.

Reactions: socaldave
Sense that there is also a lot of action going on outside of the typical field of view - lots of connecting going on with potential transfers - Junior College, Graduates with eligibility remaining, and some conventional 'transfers' who may be sitting behind an established starter & will red-shirt for a year for the opportunity to get a shot at getting to show their talents on the field.

With everything that's gone on and considering who he was up against, it was a pipe dream to think Ash would be able to get the top 10-12 NJ kids to consider picking or flipping to RU. To his credit Ash is doing very well with the next group down.

There may not be any super stars but from what I read it's a very solid class. Need to close it out with OL and DL now.

I think Ash has done a good job ths far and he has a chance to get a few more in the fold this weekend. what is most important is that he got a qb that should make a difference . considering the late start , tjis is a very good effort that should please everyone. Not to pontificate, but here is what is important when it comes to recruiting, explained to me by johnny majors years ago . there are 85 guys on a roster....of those 85 , only 35 are needed to make up the three deep.......that leaves 50 players .....subtract the 17 that will redshirt and you have 33 players who will jnot see the field. if you distribute the 35 on the three deep you will see that you need roughly 7 recruits per class to contribute to be successful. just 7. If you can get a playmaker or two each recruiting class,you are in business. I think Ash can achieve this and be very competive. It just takes a little time and patience.

the issue is the attrition with each class due to injuries, academic qualification, transfers and various other reasons. If you look at any given class by senior year - there may only be seven players actually graduating from a recruiting class of 20+. A small - in number recruiting class - may not farewell in the 4-5 year class cycle due to recruiting. I do agree with the perceived quality concept here - as it appears we are not settling.

the issue is the attrition with each class due to injuries, academic qualification, transfers and various other reasons. If you look at any given class by senior year - there may only be seven players actually graduating from a recruiting class of 20+. A small - in number recruiting class - may not farewell in the 4-5 year class cycle due to recruiting. I do agree with the perceived quality concept here - as it appears we are not settling.

Uh... not sure I follow. If what you wrote is a true statement, than put out graduation rate at under 50%. This is clearly not the case.

Who knows what the future holds, but at least for me, it feels nice to have a sense of hope again. I don't really want to disparage the prior regime, but I didn't have much faith (either in recruiting or coaching 'em up). Ash & staff seem to be working a lot harder and a lot smarter, and it's damn nice to see.

its showing hope,love the NJ RECRUITS!..need to land some big lineman ..before loi day

Don't forget the staff that he went out and sold on his vision. That all happened pretty quickly and picking up some of these nice athletes that fit his vision is encouraging.

Everyone who talks about him said he has a plan and he is sticking to it and they are all buying into his plan. I am very encouraged.

If this staff can produce the same kind of change on the field then their recruiting NJ could very well take off. Fingers crossed!

Put 25 lbs on this kid and the POTENTIAL to be a "game changer," based on his highlights, is absolutely there IMHO.
That the great thing about highlights. Any kid looks like a possible game changer. They don't show the interception or mistakes. They don't show the plays that make the kid look average. That why coaches don't recruit based on highlight films.

Reactions: Badgerc
That the great thing about highlights. Any kid looks like a possible game changer. They don't show the interception or mistakes. They don't show the plays that make the kid look average. That why coaches don't recruit based on highlight films.

Correct. Nor do they recruit based on star rankings or to "stick it to" a fellow regional opponent. Well, JF seems to. Not saying he's the only coach in America to do it but he's certainly one of them.

If they can put a positive season together and excite the fans and casual fans in 2016, they will light it up. RU will excel faster than we've ever done in the past. I'm beyond excited

Was at a bar the other day and they had on ESPN recruiting show, ranked RU class #14 in the B1G...wtf? No wonder I never tune in anymore.

Would it kill the OP to add a third letter instead of using CA to Ash? I'm sitting here thinking "we don't recruit california"...

Was at a bar the other day and they had on ESPN recruiting show, ranked RU class #14 in the B1G...wtf? No wonder I never tune in anymore.

It is at the bottom right now. Lost a slew of kids and your only 4-star, during a regime change, and this happens. Not to worry we're just a spot behind Illinois, and 2 behind Indiana, here on Rivals at #71, so it'll be interesting to see where we go from here (class was ranked 52nd prior to Flood's firing...).

Reactions: BornAHawk12
Yeah probably right...i think class ends up pretty good next week
It is at the bottom right now. Lost a slew of kids and your only 4-star, during a regime change, and this happens. Not to worry we're just a spot behind Illinois, and 2 behind Indiana, here on Rivals at #71, so it'll be interesting to see where we go from here (class was ranked 52nd prior to Flood's firing...).

Realistically at this point this year probably doesn't matter all that much. For us to improve in our division we must recruit closer to the top 4 teams in our div. This was not going to happen this year even before Ash arrived. He got an important piece with the Dual threat QB. Next year will be interesting

Reactions: ruready07

You're missing the point: he could be the PERFECT fit for an offense that WE can win with, in this conference and in this division, because we simply can not compete with a Pro-Style O at this level of recruiting (the past few years), here, bottom line.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
Agreed. Playing in the BIG and running a Pro requires depth. I am not going to kill recruiting too much because that means I am dissing guys who we need to win games for us next year. But I will say our depth has hurt us the last 3 years due to retention and mainly at DB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT