ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Comment from Ask the Staff - Sanders returning?

jellyman

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001

From the Ask The Staff, On Basketball Returnees:

Question:

What are the current betting odds that the following bball players will be here next year?

Corey?
Souf?
Bullock?

Answer:

Souf has one year to play so he is not going anywhere.
Corey is a wildcard. Right now, I give it 60/40 he is gone.
Not sure where Bullock is going to go. Not like programs are knocking on his door with a schollie. I think he stays for the long haul. It is not like Pikiell can just give him the boot.

I play basketball sometimes with someone who claims to know Sanders. I just happened to talk to him about Sanders about a week ago. He says Sanders goal is still the NBA, not Europe. In each of the last 2 years, he had said that Sanders really wanted the NBA, and was gone from RU, with any type of reasonable NBA evaluation (I was pretty sure Sanders would be back based on those comments, since I knew the NBA evaluations would fall short). He now says he thinks there is a good chance Sanders stays at RU for his Senior year. His comment is that Sanders defense has really improved, which helps his NBA stock, but he still needs to improve other parts of his game (like shooting ... and I added in our conversation, going to his left).

My handicap: If Sanders just wants to get his professional career started, and does not care as much about the NBA, he could probably get an okay contract overseas somewhere, but if he really still wants a shot at the NBA he will return to RU, work on his shooting and his left, and hope that the improved talent surrounding him next season (if he sees it as improving talent) will help make him look better to NBA scouts, by helping him improve his efficiency (since he would not have to carry the team as much), and look like a better PG.

By the way, this same guy with whom I play also knows Peter Kiss, and thinks he is a terrific player. He described Kiss as a terrific shooter, and a really hard worker and gym rat. For what it is worth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News