ADVERTISEMENT

Bassey to WKU, Reclasses into 2018

I had the chance to check out WKU last summer during a detour from a Nashville trip up to see the corvette museum which is in the same town. There is actually a very quaint downtown (Bowling Green), and the campus was surprisingly nice. It really was on a course of hills (hence “Hilltoppers”) and a lot of the buildings were newer but with the classic look. And their athletic facilities were actually very impressive. Their stadium while small was very nice and located in a very pretty part of campus right by their main quad with the bookstore and student center and main road through campus. Their arena was right next door and was actually really large on the inside. Anyway, nothing wrong with WKU let’s not start sitting on some high horse talking about “directional schools” yea there are many that are weak and have no business competing with us but have to have some perspective too. There are a lot of things to like about RU and the campus but there are also things that may keep some recruits away, just like any campus in America. All about the right fit.

Reactions: RUpop
Agreed

WKU is a really nice campus and if you're a history buff of college hoops it's got history that can match up with almost anyone.

I ran my very first cross country meet at Western Kentucky as a freshman in September 1962 during halftime of their football game with Middle Tennessee. I remember it like it was yesterday. Schools ran dual meets at that time and I was only 17. I still treasure that memory as the next morning my name was in the Courier Journal for being in the top 10. The meet was a shortened length as we started on their track and finished on the track which circled the football stadium. I think they now have a much larger stadium as well. It was surreal as I attended Bellarmine in Louisville that was D-2 and the fans were booing our runners as we ran by. It was an experience that I will always remember. WKU began importing runners from the UK and shortly thereafter they won the NCAA Championship.

Reactions: SHUSource
that is the least surprising assistant coach hire this summer. And LOL to those that claimed this was totally on the up and up.
I don't know who claimed this was totally on the up and up, having said that, this is nothing new and is not against NCAA rules. The NCAA would define Bassey's relationship with Auriantal as a parent.

Rutgers could have offered the guardian a job to land Bassey but they chose not to go down that road (I don't blame them btw). Fwiw, the guardian, Hennssy Auriantal, played four seasons at Wisconsin and has NCAA assistant coaching experience at Jackson State.

Reactions: biazza38
looks like WKU, who I actually like, pulled a Kevin Willard...
Like Willard was the first to do this lol.

Since it doesn't violate any NCAA rule, it doesn't bother me at all when programs do this. Particularly when the guardian/parent they hire to be on the staff actually has NCAA coaching experience at the Division I level. Also, let's face it, this isn't the first time Stansbury has done this at WKU either.

How fortunate it was that he actually had an opening on his coaching staff.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Big time schools should always leave one spot open for a one and done. You can hire their agent, I mean guardian, and fire him as soon as the player turns pro. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Big time schools should always leave one spot open for a one and done. You can hire their agent, I mean guardian, and fire him as soon as the player turns pro. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Big time schools normally don't have to do that.

I don't know who claimed this was totally on the up and up, having said that, this is nothing new and is not against NCAA rules.

there were plenty of posts in this forum suggesting nothing was amiss in this recruitment and there were lots of good reasons to go to WKU. And I never implied there was anything against NCAA rules with this.

Like Willard was the first to do this lol.

Since it doesn't violate any NCAA rule, it doesn't bother me at all when programs do this. Particularly when the guardian/parent they hire to be on the staff actually has NCAA coaching experience at the Division I level. Also, let's face it, this isn't the first time Stansbury has done this at WKU either.

How fortunate it was that he actually had an opening on his coaching staff.
While it’s currently not against NCAA rule and
WKU isn’t the first, it’s just another example of how crooked NCAA basketball is. It’s basically paying a player to chose a college. The ncaa has too many of these issues and it’s really a black eye for this game. Lots of hands taking money and hanging onto these kids like leaches.

Ohio State did on the women’s team. Young lady just graduated this year, I believe. Wound up with 3,000+ points I think. (3,402 - Kelsey Mitchell)

Last edited:
I would do this all day every day if it meant getting top talent and going dancing. Some of you guys are being silly with your high horse moral objections.

This isn't cheating and will lead to winning, so what's the problem?

This isn't cheating and will lead to winning, so what's the problem?

usually doesn't lead to winning, usually leads to landing a highly touted recruit and an underachieving team (see Lorenzo Romar and Cuonzo Martin).

usually doesn't lead to winning, usually leads to landing a highly touted recruit and an underachieving team (see Lorenzo Romar and Cuonzo Martin).
Missouri who went from winning 8 games in 2016-2017 to winning 20 games in 2017-2018? Jontay Porter was a significant contributor on that team.

Missouri who went from winning 8 games in 2016-2017 to winning 20 games in 2017-2018? Jontay Porter was a significant contributor on that team.

Mizzou underachieved preseason predictions last season, although they did lose MP Jr to injury. I doubt most of their fans would've considered it a successful season.

Mizzou underachieved preseason predictions last season, although they did lose MP Jr to injury. I doubt most of their fans would've considered it a successful season.
Their preseason predictions were based on having Michael Porter on the court. If his injury happened in summer workouts their preseason predictions wouldn't have been nearly as lofty.

Since I'm on the Missouri site from time to time, and covered one of their road games last November, I can tell you that the fan base is pretty excited about last season and the direction the program is headed in.

Missouri lost the number one ranked prospect in the 2017 class and still won more games last season than they did in the two previous seasons combined. They defeated Kentucky and Tennessee.

They were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament by teams that made it to the Elite eight.

Their preseason predictions were based on having Michael Porter on the court. If his injury happened in summer workouts their preseason predictions wouldn't have been nearly as lofty.

Since I'm on the Missouri site from time to time, and covered one of their road games last November, I can tell you that the fan base is pretty excited about last season and the direction the program is headed in.

Missouri lost the number one ranked prospect in the 2017 class and still won more games last season than they did in the two previous seasons combined. They defeated Kentucky and Tennessee.

They were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA tournament by teams that made it to the Elite eight.
Most of us here wish were were this unsuccessful. There really is no argument. Elite recruits usually lead to better results on the court I don't know why some posters always try to argue against this notion in both football and basketball.

Missouri fans might want to check their expectations against what Martin accomplished at Cal with mega recruits like Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown.

Most of us here wish were were this unsuccessful. There really is no argument. Elite recruits usually lead to better results on the court I don't know why some posters always try to argue against this notion in both football and basketball.

It's vastly different in football vs hoops....in football you're locked in for 3 years...in hoops you've captured the talent for 5-6 months or 1 season.

An elite basketball recruiting win only truly impacts the program if there are balanced and layers of players in your program.

Kentucky usually has a Top 3 recruiting class but unless it's supported by upperclassmen or sophomores that aren't quite NBA players. Kentucky is going to lose 10+ games most years.

It's vastly different in football vs hoops....in football you're locked in for 3 years...in hoops you've captured the talent for 5-6 months or 1 season.

An elite basketball recruiting win only truly impacts the program if there are balanced and layers of players in your program.

Kentucky usually has a Top 3 recruiting class but unless it's supported by upperclassmen or sophomores that aren't quite NBA players. Kentucky is going to lose 10+ games most years.
Dude what are you talking about? Since Calipari has been there they have only lost 10 + games 3 out of 9 seasons. Not to mention 4 final fours and a national championship. Boy I bet they wish they had a few more upperclassmen to be more successful. Your example is laughable.

The day RU pulls this move is the day the NCAA will shut it down.

Dude what are you talking about? Since Calipari has been there they have only lost 10 + games 3 out of 9 seasons. Not to mention 4 final fours and a national championship. Boy I bet they wish they had a few more upperclassmen to be more successful. Your example is laughable.

The Kentucky rosters are balanced when they won big with more than just freshman....the last 2 seasons with mostly all freshman or mostly freshman and some sophomores in their Top 7 or 8 players, they were 8 to 10 loss teams....

The best recruits, even as 5* freshman or only freshman aren't winning national championships unless there are supported by talented sophomores and upper classmen mixed in that can play.....teams that are all freshman, lose a lot more games than people believe when it comes to recruiting and immediate impact in basketball....no matter how much upside is projected on a player or where they get drafted based on potential.

The recent Villanova factor of mixing upper classmen that are not 1 and dones that stay 2 to 4 years is much more relevant to winning big in college basketball vs recruiting than 1 and dones....so much so that Kentucky recently declined to play Villanova in a neutral site OOC game because it would be a mismatch of experience and team vs a bunch of talent that had no experience playing together as a unit......Calipari's interviews supports that his biggest challenge isn't accumulating talent as much as meshing the pieces to sacrifice for the better goal of the team, especially with players whose primary goal isn't to graduate or earn a degree, it's how fast can I get drafted....

There are bigger problems---------like trying to mesh talent that will never get drafted.

I'm not singing any sad songs for Calipari.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT