ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Media day

hoquat63

All American
Mar 17, 2005
Tomorrow 10:10, Coach Washington, Chyna and Erica- according to post on mens board

Per Jerry Carino from today's media day presser:

“Coach Stringer was known for her great defense and low-scoring games,” Washington said. “I’d kind of like to score a few more points. The pace may be a little different, the styles may be different, but the thing that will remain consistent and persistent is the pursuit of excellence.”

Reactions: MADHAT1
I’d kind of like to score a few more points."
Heart Hugs GIF

I know i'm late on this, but thoughts on Media Day and the preseason rankings for the B1G??

Some predictions and things I noticed:

--Someone in the media was going all out to promote Caitlyn Clark for nat'l POY. I found it strange that so many of the coaches, as they stepped to the podium to talk about their programs, were hit right out the gate with the question about their thoughts of Caitlyn and what she may be able to accomplish this year. Weird. She is so good that it isn't necessary to be so obvious, IMO.

--Also, how is Iowa ranked so high(#4 nationally and 1st in the B1G)? Unless they have a difference-making frosh or transfer that I'm not aware of, they are pretty much the same team as last year. If they don't have someone emerge to give them a big three(Clark, Czinzano, and ?), they won't finish in the top 10 nat'l and will likely not win the B1G Champ.

--Ohio St came in first last year and didn't lose their key players. They also get M. Greene back. Post play will be the question for them. Might be best suited to play small ball. I like their intangible player, T.Thierry. Can be a key player for them this year.

--Indy lost some pieces but gained some also. When fully healthy, they arguably were the best in the conference last year. Don't see them falling much this year. They are at least on the level or better than Iowa, IMO.

--Brenda and the Terps are not to be slept on. Yes, they lost two elites in Owusu and Reese but they added some really quality players including an elite one in L. Briggs. The Princeton transfer, A. Meyers should provide scoring to take pressure off Diamond Miller. And quietly, no one ever mentions S. Sellers, who I think could be an all conference player. Like Ohio St., the question is.......Who's handling the post??? Masonius can't be your main 'go to' in the post. They have as good a chance as any to win the conf.

If Brenda can pull one of her better coaching years with this group, they could be better than last year's more talented Terps. Cause IMO, she laid an egg last season.

--Shauna Green!!........................I think she is going to be the one who gets the Illini over the hump. She's recruiting well and the school is investing in athletics, it seems. We better hurry up and get some of that Chi-town talent while we still can. Between them and DePaul, I can see a lot of the top, area talent deciding to stay home. I think they move up to middle of the pack this year, but in year three,... look out!

--Mich still has good talent at each position. If L.Brown stays healthy, I see them being in the top 5 of the conference. Nebraska, Nwestern, Purdue, and Mich St should challenge for that spot, . I see Mich falling from being elite last year to about a #19-25 ranked team. Nebraska may cling to a top 25 spot.

--Penn St should be better with the additions to the coaching staff.

--Best for last, .....our Scarlet Knights!!
To be honest,..........I have no idea regarding, how well our players will compete. Like most on this board, I too, am not expecting much because of the youth and inexperience. I think we end up in a battle with Penn St, Minn, and Wisconsin to avoid being in last place in the conference.

Hoping for a healthy season in which there's tons of growth for each player and the team, collectively. Hopefully Abby, in her last year, gets to showcase some skills that allow her to play beyond this season, if that is her goal.

I know i'm late on this, but thoughts on Media Day and the preseason rankings for the B1G??

--Someone in the media was going all out to promote Caitlyn Clark for nat'l POY. I found it strange that so many of the coaches, as they stepped to the podium to talk about their programs, were hit right out the gate with the question about their thoughts of Caitlyn and what she may be able to accomplish this year. Weird. She is so good that it isn't necessary to be so obvious, IMO.

--Also, how is Iowa ranked so high(#4 nationally and 1st in the B1G)? Unless they have a difference-making frosh or transfer that I'm not aware of, they are pretty much the same team as last year. If they don't have someone emerge to give them a big three(Clark, Czinzano, and ?), they won't finish in the top 10 nat'l and will likely not win the B1G Champ.

--Ohio St came in first last year and didn't lose their key players. They also get M. Greene back. Post play will be the question for them. Might be best suited to play small ball. I like their intangible player, T.Thierry. Can be a key player for them this year.

--Indy lost some pieces but gained some also. When fully healthy, they arguably were the best in the conference last year. Don't see them falling much this year. They are at least on the level or better than Iowa, IMO.

--Brenda and the Terps are not to be slept on. Yes, they lost two elites in Owusu and Reese but they added some really quality players including an elite one in L. Briggs. The Princeton transfer, A. Meyers should provide scoring to take pressure off Diamond Miller. And quietly, no one ever mentions S. Sellers, who I think could be an all conference player. Like Ohio St., the question is.......Who's handling the post??? Masonius can't be your main 'go to' in the post. They have as good a chance as any to win the conf.

If Brenda can pull one of her better coaching years with this group, they could be better than last year's more talented Terps. Cause IMO, she laid an egg last season.

--Shauna Green!!........................I think she is going to be the one who gets the Illini over the hump. She's recruiting well and the school is investing in athletics, it seems. We better hurry up and get some of that Chi-town talent while we still can. Between them and DePaul, I can see a lot of the top, area talent deciding to stay home. I think they move up to middle of the pack this year, but in year three,... look out!

--Mich still has good talent at each position. If L.Brown stays healthy, I see them being in the top 5 of the conference. Nebraska, Nwestern, Purdue, and Mich St should challenge for that spot, . I see Mich falling from being elite last year to about a #19-25 ranked team. Nebraska may cling to a top 25 spot.

To be honest,..........I have no idea regarding, how well our players will compete. Like most on this board, I too, am not expecting much because of the youth and inexperience. I think we end up in a battle with Penn St, Minn, and Wisconsin to avoid being in last place in the conference.

Hoping for a healthy season in which there's tons of growth for each player and the team, collectively. Hopefully Abby, in her last year, gets to showcase some skills that allow her to play beyond this season, if that is her goal.
As to Clark, she has strong competition for National Player of the Year - in fact, I doubt she is a favorite. Boston of South Carolina is, Haley Jones is also high up the list. And others. So yes, as a conference the only candidate is going to get a lot of "push".

You would have to tell me about the Penn State coaching staff - I know who is on it, I don't know who is new or what is good about them.

Most of the rest, I don't know. I do know Iowa is well thought of this year, probably because of Clark and Czinano.

After taking a second look, thoughts on Iowa and Michigan need to be upgraded.

Although I still think the #4 ranking will be tough for Iowa to live up to, I do see the path for them to be a favorite in the B1G. To me, I wouldn't be surprised if any one of the preseason top 5 won the conference title.

It will be interesting to see how Iowa uses the soph post, O'Grady. If they expand her role by starting her, it could allow Czinzano to play the 4-spot. That would be tough to stop with Caitlin and the other shooters they have. They may also have a freshman post in Hannah Stuelke, who could replace O'Grady as the highly productive post coming off the bench. All that said, ......Yes, they are arguably the conf favorites.

I also have to give Michigan a little more credit. They will miss Naz Hilmon but they still have good size and skill in the post. Cameron Williams' and Verajao's development will be big in determining how good they can be. A huge boost to the roster is Oregon St transfer, Greta Kampschroeder. She should relieve some of the scoring pressure from L. Brown. L.Phelia and M.Nolan are solid, and experienced in the backcourt.
Yes, Michigan is deserving of a top 5 spot in the B1G, with just as good a chance of winning the conf title as any of the other 4 teams top teams. Nationally, I could see them staying in the top 20, somewhere around #15(barring injury to any key players, of course).

As to Clark, she has strong competition for National Player of the Year - in fact, I doubt she is a favorite. Boston of South Carolina is, Haley Jones is also high up the list. And others. So yes, as a conference the only candidate is going to get a lot of "push".

You would have to tell me about the Penn State coaching staff - I know who is on it, I don't know who is new or what is good about them.

Most of the rest, I don't know. I do know Iowa is well thought of this year, probably because of Clark and Czinano.
Yes, I agree. Clark is not a shoo-in for Nat'l POY. Most preseason polls have her right there with Boston and Jones. It may come down to who's team keeps the highest ranking. I do think she has an advantage being that she will stay on the court for most of the game and the offense goes through her. The other two player are on teams that will spread offensive responsibilities around. Lots of depth for SC especially.

I don't know if you watched B1G Media Day 1. This is only like the second or third season I've watch their Media Day. I don't remember seeing a player promoted in that manner. I don't recall Naz H. questions last year as the first question for all coaches. It was weird IMO. Of course the conference should push for their stars but that seemed like an awkward, mis-timed way to go about it.

Penn St added Terri Williams-Flournoy, Sharnee Zoll, and Maggie Lucas.

IMO, all quality additions that bring a lot to the table. Flournoy had her success at Gtown then not so much at Auburn. Taking the good, she is an excellent defensive coach and also good at uptempo. She also has a legendary brother on the AAU scene who may help with recruiting. Sharnee Zoll comes from Reiss' staff at Rhode Island and, has plenty of experience as a player to pass on in developing PSU's guards. Played HS ball here in NJ for a state champion, Marlboro team. Originally from Highland Park, I think. Probably most famous for breaking D. Staley's records at UVa.
So, I'm basically thinking, these additions can only improve what we've seen so far in Kreiger's time at PSU. They shouldn't be such a pushover going forward.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Clark is not a shoe-in for Nat'l POY. Most preseason polls have her right there with Boston and Jones. It may come down to who's team keeps the highest ranking. I do think she has an advantage being that she will stay on the court for most of the game and the offense goes through her. The other two player are on teams that will spread offensive responsibilities around. Lots of depth for SC especially.

I don't know if you watched B1G Media Day 1. This is only like the second or third season I've watch their Media Day. I don't remember seeing a player promoted in that manner. I don't recall Naz H. questions last year as the first question for all coaches. It was weird IMO. Of course the conference should push for their stars but that seemed like an awkward, mis-timed way to go about it.

Penn St added Terri Williams-Flournoy, Sharnee Zoll, and Maggie Lucas.

IMO, all quality additions that bring a lot to the table. Flournoy had her success at Gtown then not so much at Auburn. Taking the good, she is an excellent defensive coach and also good at uptempo. She also has a legendary brother on the AAU scene who may help with recruiting. Sharnee Zoll comes from Reiss' staff at Rhode Island and, has plenty of experience as a player to pass on in developing PSU's guards. Played HS ball here in NJ for a state champion, Marlboro team. Originally from Highland Park, I think. Probably most famous for breaking D. Staley's records at UVa.
So, I'm basically thinking, these additions can only improve what we've seen so far in Kreiger's time at PSU. They shouldn't be such a pushover going forward.
I missed who Terri Williams was when I put her on my spreadsheet, she apparently has dropped the Flournoy. I update a spreadsheet of all the P5 head coaches and assistants every year, but I just overwrite the previous information. Yes, Williams has a lot of experience, I never thought she was a great head coach but definitely should contribute. I actually like Krieger, looks like an up and comer. Penn State has certainly had some issues over the years, and I don't root for them, but in a general way it is important for all the B1G teams to perform respectably.

Don’t know that she is a shoe in, but Clark is really god - sure you can find YouTube video. Hit quite a few three pointers from ridiculous distance last year (a few steps over the mid court line). Pretty nifty moves around the basket too

Don’t know that she is a shoe in, but Clark is really god - sure you can find YouTube video. Hit quite a few three pointers from ridiculous distance last year (a few steps over the mid court line). Pretty nifty moves around the basket too
Deepest range of any I've seen in the women's game. It's a new day, isn't it. Would have been yanked from the game before the ball could reach the basket if I took a shot from where she shoots it. It was simply not allowed.

Clark has it all...........I just hope that the refs shut down her habit of flopping when she drives and is well-defended.. She's so good offensively that if she's allowed to get away with that, then opposing teams have no chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT