ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Prediction Thread

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
So now we have a greater sample size of what Big 10 schools have to offer with the non conference slate winding down and a league game or two in the books, let's make some predictions.

1. Purdue NCAA Final 4
2. Illinois NCAA Sweet 16
3. Wisconsin NCAA Sweet 16
4. Ohio State NCAA 1st Round
5. Northwestern NCAA 2nd round
6. Michigan State NCAA Sweet 16
7. Indiana NCAA 1st round

8. Michigan NIT
9. Nebraska NIT
10. Maryland NIT

11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Penn State

Purdue is better than last year IMO because everyone else but Edey is getting a bit better and cutting back on mistakes. I think Illinois probably the only school able to seriously challenge them for that top spot. I think 3-5 probably very close right now but give the edge to Wisconsin. Michigan State already started 0-2 and seem to underperform in league play but could be dangerous for tourney time. Indiana seems erratic but probably have enough to be the 7th and final league team to make the tourney

Other than that going to be tough to get more than 7. The next grouping of Michigan/Nebby/Maryland not sure if anyone can jump up. Perhaps Nebraska best shot at being the surprise team to go it. Michigan already in a hole resume wise.

Based on performance have to put Rutgers in the bottom 4 with Iowa until I see evidence from either team that they can be serious players this year. Minny and PSU in the bottom 4 seems like the safest bet.

I’m not quite ready to give up on RU yet, the B1G feels very down this year.

I’ll hold off until we get into conference play

I’m not quite ready to give up on RU yet, the B1G feels very down this year.

I’ll hold off until we get into conference play
perhaps you can argue for 8th spots, but can you envision a scenerio where RU finishes in that top 7 given what we have seen from that top 7 this year.

I think the league is somewhat down in the middle to the end from 8 to 14. There look to be wins available in those spots.

For RU I can only go off of their 1-4 performance vs schools with a pulse and the specific issues this team has. If we had a decent shooting upside I would feel more optimistic. I think preseason I thought RU was good for the 8-9 spot

If RU is to have any turnaround or promise, it has to win one of those games on the road to either Ohio State or Iowa

Mich State has played the toughest schedule, against 5 ranked teams so far, but they lost 4 of those (good win vs Baylor), then lost to a good but unranked Nebraska.

I would have Nebraska at 7 and Mich St at 8 until we see a few more B1G contests. Indiana 6, Mich 9

perhaps you can argue for 8th spots, but can you envision a scenerio where RU finishes in that top 7 given what we have seen from that top 7 this year.

I think the league is somewhat down in the middle to the end from 8 to 14. There look to be wins available in those spots.

For RU I can only go off of their 1-4 performance vs schools with a pulse and the specific issues this team has. If we had a decent shooting upside I would feel more optimistic. I think preseason I thought RU was good for the 8-9 spot

If RU is to have any turnaround or promise, it has to win one of those games on the road to either Ohio State or Iowa
It just seems like every year we hit this point where I'm ready to say we're done, and somehow Pike manages to right the ship and make things interesting.

I feel fairly confident that we likely won't make the NCAA tournament, and the OOC efforts will be used as a way to justify that.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if we get to a point where fans here feel snubbed in March even though the team had plenty of opportunities in front of them.

We’re a .500 team, maybe 1 game above if we’re lucky. We’ll steal a couple games too.

As for the rest of the league, I’ve seen enough games to tell the league STILL has not updated its style of play. I don’t see a conference team advancing out of the elite 8. Purdue goes down in round of 32 or 16.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
So now we have a greater sample size of what Big 10 schools have to offer with the non conference slate winding down and a league game or two in the books, let's make some predictions.

1. Purdue NCAA Final 4

8. Michigan NIT
9. Nebraska NIT
10. Maryland NIT

11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Penn State

Purdue is better than last year IMO because everyone else but Edey is getting a bit better and cutting back on mistakes. I think Illinois probably the only school able to seriously challenge them for that top spot. I think 3-5 probably very close right now but give the edge to Wisconsin. Michigan State already started 0-2 and seem to underperform in league play but could be dangerous for tourney time. Indiana seems erratic but probably have enough to be the 7th and final league team to make the tourney

Other than that going to be tough to get more than 7. The next grouping of Michigan/Nebby/Maryland not sure if anyone can jump up. Perhaps Nebraska best shot at being the surprise team to go it. Michigan already in a hole resume wise.

Based on performance have to put Rutgers in the bottom 4 with Iowa until I see evidence from either team that they can be serious players this year. Minny and PSU in the bottom 4 seems like the safest bet.
- Indiana may be overvalued but I can see them as NCAA quick exit squad.

- Nebraska may be undervalued. Underrated team

- Keep an eye out for squads such as Maryland and Michigan that have the ability to do well in conference play and get a Ncaa bid - albeit it will be quite difficult given some awful losses they have had

- Will there be a team facing more pressure in its 1st round ncaa game than Purdue after it’s losses to FDU / St Peter’s and North Texas the last 3 years?

- On NIT, rules were unfortunately changed whereby regular season conference champs do not get an auto invite. Slap in the face to mid majors and will benefit P6 conferences so there will be more NIT invites for P6 conferences.

Wildly strange to continue this narrative that the B1G is down, for almost 8 years running and in the same instance, pick RU to finish in the bottom 4 of the conference.

Sooo......if the B1G is down now foe the 8th straight year, shouldn't that equate to opportunities for RU to jump into NCAA contention, with some upsets and home cooking??

Just trying to make sure that fans aren't falling for this crazy scenario, year after year, only to then turn around and say "The OOC schedule, the lack of neutral/road wins and other variations of things that only apparently apply to RU and the B1G, but not to the Pac 12, ACC or Big East.

All I know is RU isn't going to sit around and play games with a roster full of seniors who have no chance to get better for next year. I hope when the underclassmen start picking up the pace and playing better, we revisit this thread.

And last year, RU was a 1 point win at Wisconsin, a 1 point win at PSU and 2 separate 3 point wins at Purdue and Northwestern, from being more along the lines of a 7-13 type of B1G team last year and finished 10-10.

If the RAC is alive and well and the fanbase doesn't sit around waiting for next year and the RAC is electric, there's no reason why RU can't be very tough to defeat.

Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan and Indiana are where RU sits today IMO.....very reliant on their starters and unlikely to win a bunch of road games. If we handle Nebraska, Indiana and Michigan at the RAC, RU can find some other big wins along the way. There's no real reasons why RU can't win road games with this improved roster.

Let's see what happens.

Still too early to make any real predictions, as not enough teams have played enough legit competition. But in terms of broad generalizations:
  • Purdue is a lock for #1 in B1G and #1 seed in NCAA tournament..., and therefore a lock to lose to a #16 seed LOL. Just kidding on that last part.
  • Illinois is the clear #2 in the B1G. Defense travels, Shannon Jr. is playing at an AA level, Domask has provided a terrific/diverse second option, and Hawkins is a matchup problem for most teams as a stretch 4/5. Did I mention their defense?
  • Beyond that, I don't think there's a clear 3 through 7. I don't trust Wisky, NW, MSU, OSU, or Indiana to be consistent enough to finish at the higher end of that range.
  • I think those five teams PLUS NEBRASKA are the group that have the best likelihood of finishing in the 3 to 8 spots. I think the Huskers are pretty legit this year.
  • Michigan, Maryland, and Iowa are most likely to finish in the 9 to 11 spots. I include Iowa here because they can outscore any team on any given night. I'd like to include Rutgers, but that would just be wearing Scarlet colored glasses. Like bac said, we are 1-4 against teams with a pulse, and our one win against SHU was an outlier game in our 3-point shooting. We have struggled to score 60+ in any of these "pulse" games, and still only scored 70 while shooting the lights out against SHU.
  • PSU and Minnesota clearly bottom two, and Rutgers not that far ahead.
I reserve the right to change my mind about Rutgers if Jeremiah Williams gets eligible and Ogbole plays (and can defend and rebound).

Wildly strange to continue this narrative that the B1G is down, for almost 8 years running and in the same instance, pick RU to finish in the bottom 4 of the conference.

Sooo......if the B1G is down now foe the 8th straight year, shouldn't that equate to opportunities for RU to jump into NCAA contention, with some upsets and home cooking??

Just trying to make sure that fans aren't falling for this crazy scenario, year after year, only to then turn around and say "The OOC schedule, the lack of neutral/road wins and other variations of things that only apparently apply to RU and the B1G, but not to the Pac 12, ACC or Big East.

All I know is RU isn't going to sit around and play games with a roster full of seniors who have no chance to get better for next year. I hope when the underclassmen start picking up the pace and playing better, we revisit this thread.

And last year, RU was a 1 point win at Wisconsin, a 1 point win at PSU and 2 separate 3 point wins at Purdue and Northwestern, from being more along the lines of a 7-13 type of B1G team last year and finished 10-10.

If the RAC is alive and well and the fanbase doesn't sit around waiting for next year and the RAC is electric, there's no reason why RU can't be very tough to defeat.

Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan and Indiana are where RU sits today IMO.....very reliant on their starters and unlikely to win a bunch of road games. If we handle Nebraska, Indiana and Michigan at the RAC, RU can find some other big wins along the way. There's no real reasons why RU can't win road games with this improved roster.

Let's see what happens.
I guess you're saying that, to date, Rutgers is in the grouping with Michigan, Maryland, and Indiana in the 8 to 11 range. True that none of those teams has "wowed" -- although Maryland's road win the other night was pretty impressive, albeit against a down UCLA team.

But your theories that we can "knock off" this or that team at the RAC, and that our "underclassmen" are going to "start picking up the pace and playing better," seem based more on hope than any hard data.

I certainly HOPE you're right. But if I'm basing my comments on what my eyes have seen over the first two months of the season, I'm not betting on it. Going 1-4 against teams with a pulse -- and looking consistently bad in the process -- doesn't really lie.

1. Purdue NCAA Final 4

8. Michigan NIT
9. Nebraska NIT
10. Maryland NIT

11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Penn State

Agree with nearly all of this with the exception of Purdue. I think they make it to the round of 8 and a quick, athletic team gets them again. The thing about Purdue is although it’s tough to game plan for Edey, your general not going to get any wrinkles with him and his slow supporting staff (what you see is what you get). It’s good enough to win the vast majority of games however.

Last edited:
After Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin, I don’t think there is much separating 4-9, and they all look pretty mediocre. From what I have seen so far, I don’t see us getting more than 6 conference wins, so somewhere in the 11-12 range is probably about right.

Reactions: RAC93

1. Purdue NCAA Final 4

8. Michigan NIT
9. Nebraska NIT
10. Maryland NIT

11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Penn State

Can’t argue with any of that. Rutgers probably finishes with a 8-12 record. (7-13 to 9-11) is the range. If they get J Williams back, I would add 1-2 wins.

I agree Purdue and Illinois are the class of the B1G Ten by a wide margin.Unless Rutgers shows a marked improvement in rebounding and scoring ,the sad reality is for the team to be in the bottom four schools .With the parity/mediocrity in the league there probably will be plenty of teams achieving 8-11 wins.Michigan State and Northwestern have the talent to be top five ranked when the season ends.

As far as Rutgers goes, while we haven’t looked too good except for the SHU game, we have to consider that our 4 losses are to teams with a combined record of 38-8, and 3 of those losses were away from the RAC.

We still have no bad losses. If we can steal one of the next two road games (OSU and Iowa), we’ll have something to hang our hat on for salvaging a decent season.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think the B1G is stronger at the top this year. But 5-14 is not as good as last year. Last season you had 10 teams fighting for NCAA bids. I don’t see that this season.
MSU beat the snot out of Baylor, so you can argue they’re the wild card of the conference. The type of team that somehow makes it to the final four and you would go “yeah, that makes sense. It’s MSU, of course they outperformed.”

Reactions: bac2therac
As far as Rutgers goes, while we haven’t looked too good except for the SHU game, we have to consider that our 4 losses are to teams with a combined record of 38-8, and 3 of those losses were away from the RAC.

We still have no bad losses. If we can steal one of the next two road games (OSU and Iowa), we’ll have something to hang our hat on for salvaging a decent season.
Agreed we have no bad losses, but equally we don’t have good wins thus far. SHU win should be a Q2, but that’s far from a huge, signature win. They’re 1-4 against real competition. They have a massive amount of work to do. They have the games and opportunities remaining to make it happen. Unfortunately, it does not look like we have the horses to make the big wins happen. If they go and beat Ohio Sate and Iowa and grab 2 Q1 wins, then that will shut me up and I’ll be singing a different tune. This group really needs to get some big road wins to start building a resume mixed in with dominating at home. Very hard to picture this happening though based upon what we’ve seen on the court this year.

Reactions: bac2therac
Schedule by the numbers, as of today,
4 Q1 home, 9 Q1 road, 13 possible
5 Q2 home, 5 Q2 road, 10 possible
5 Q3 home, 0 Q3 road, 5 possible

#4 Purdue 11-1 (1-1), 5-1, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0
8 Q1(vs ILL, @ Neb, @ Iowa, @ Wisc, @ OSU, @ UM, @ Ill, vs Wisc), 6 Q2(@ MD, @ IND, vs UM, @ RU, vs NW, vs MSU), 4 Q3(vs PSU, vs MD, vs Minn, vs RU)
Q1 2 home, 6 road, Q2 3 home, 3 road, Q3 4 home

#10 Illinois 9-2 (1-0), 1-2, 1-0, 3-0, 4-0
8 Q1(@ Purd, @ UM, @ NW, @ OSU, @ MSU, @ Wisc, vs Purd, @ Iowa), 7 Q2(vs NW, vs MSU, vs Neb, vs UM, @ MD, @ PSU, vs Iowa), 4 Q3(vs MD, vs RU, vs IND, vs Minn)
Q1 1 home, 7 road, Q2 5 home,, 2 road, Q3 4 home

#14 Wisconsin 9-3 (1-0), 3-3, 1-0, 1-0, 4-0
8 Q1(@ OSU, @ Neb, vs Purd, @ UM, vs OSU, @ Iowa, vs ILL, @ Purd), 8 Q2(vs Iowa, vs Neb, vs NW, @ PSU, @ Minn, vs MSU, @ RU, @ IND), 3 Q3(vs IND, vs MD, vs RU)
Q1 3 home 5 Road, Q2 4 home 4 road, Q3 3 home

#28 Ohio St 10-2 (1-1), 1-1, 0-1, 4-0, 5-0
9 Q1(vs Wisc, @ UM, @ Neb, @ NW, vs ILL, @ Iowa, @ Wisc, vs Purd, @ MSU), 5 Q2(@ IND, @ Minn, vs Neb, vs UM, @ RU), 4 Q3(vs RU, vs PSU, vs IND, vs MD)
Q1 3 home 6 road, Q2 2 home, 3 road, Q3 4 home

#35 Mich St 7-5 (0-2), 1-5, 1-0, 1-0, 4-0
7 Q1(@ NW, @ ILL, @ Wisc, vs ILL, @ UM, @ Purd, vs OSU), 7 Q2(@ MD, vs UM, @ Minn, @ PSU, vs Iowa, vs NW, @ IND), 4 Q3(vs PSU, vs RU, vs Minn, vs MD)
Q1 2 home 5 Road, Q2 3 home 4 road, Q3 4 home

#57 Nebraska 10-2 (1-1), 0-1, 2-1, 2-0, 6-0
9 Q1(@ Wisc, vs Purd, @ Iowa, vs OSU, vs Wisc, @ ILL, @ NW, @ OSU, @ UM), 5 Q2(@ RU, vs NW, @ MD, vs UM, @ IND), 4 Q3(vs IND, vs PSU, vs Minn, vs RU)
Q1 3 home 6 road, Q2 2 home 3 road, Q3 4 home

#63 Iowa 7-5 (0-2), 0-4, 1-1, 0-0, 6-0
9 Q1(@ Wisc, vs Purd, @ UM, vs OSU, vs Wisc, @ MSU, @ ILL, @ NW, vs ILL), 5 Q2(vs Neb, @ Minn, @ IND, @ PSU, @'MD), 4 Q3(vs RU, vs MD, vs Minn, vs PSU)
Q1 4 home 5 road, Q2 1 home 4 road, Q3 4 home

#69 Michigan 6-6 (1-1), 2-3, 0-1, 2-2, 2-0
10 Q1(vs OSU, vs ILL, @ Purdue, @ MSU, vs Wisc, @ Neb, @ ILL, @ NW, vs Purd, @ OSU), 5 Q2(@ MD, vs Iowa, vs MSU, @ RU, vs Neb), 3 Q3(vs Minn, vs Penn St, vs RU
Q1 4 home 6 road, Q2 3 home 2 road, Q3 3 home

#71 Northwestern 9-2(1-0), 2-1, 0-0, 1-0, 6-1
7 Q1(@ ILL, @ Wisc, @ Neb, vs ILL, vs OSU, @ Purd, @ MSU), 9 Q2(vs MSU, @ PSU, @ Minn, vs Neb, @ RU, @ IND, vs UM, @ MD, vs Iowa), 3 Q3(vs MD, vs PSU, vs Minn)
Q1 2 home 5 road, Q2 4 home 5 road, Q3 3 home

#84 Rutgers 7-4(0-1), 0-3, 1--1, 0-0, 6-0
11 Q1(@OSU, @ Iowa, @ MSU, @ ILL, vs Purd, @ UM, vs Wisc, @ Purd, @ Neb, @ Wisc, vs OSU), 5 Q2(vs Neb, @ MD, vs NW, @ Minn, vs UM), 3 Q3(vs IND, vs PSU, vs MD)
Q1 3 home 8 road, Q2 3 home 2 road, Q3 3 home

#89 Minnesota 9-3(1-1), 0-2, 1-0, 0-1, 8-0
9 Q1(@ UM, @ MSU, vs Wisc, @ Iowa, @ Purd, vs OSU, @ Neb, @ ILL, @ NW), 5 Q2(@ IND, vs Iowa, @ PSU, vs NW, vs MSU), 4 Q3(vs MD, vs RU, vs Penn St, vs IND)
Q1 2 home 7 road, Q2 3 home 2 road, Q3 4 home

#101 Indiana 9-3(2-0), 1-3, 0-0, 4-0, 4-0
8 Q1(@ Neb, vs OSU, vs Purd, @ Wisc, @ ILL, @ OSU, @ Purd, vs Wisc), 8 Q2(@ RU, vs Iowa, vs NW, vs Neb, @ PSU, @ MD, @ Minn, vs MSU), 2 Q3(vs Minn, vs PSU)
Q1 3 home 5 road, Q2 4 home 4 road, Q3 2 home

#115 Maryland 8-4(1-1), 0-1, 0-1, 2-1, 6-1
8 Q1(vs Purd, @ ILL, @ NW, @ Iowa, @ MSU, @OSU, vs ILL, @ Wisc), 8 Q2(@ Minn, vs UM, vs MSU, vs Neb, vs Iowa, @ RU, vs NW, @ PSU), 2 Q3(vs RU, vs IND)
Q1 2 home 6 road, Q2 5 home 3 road, Q3 2 home

#132 Penn St 6-6(1-1), 1-1, 0-3, 1-1, 4-1
8 Q1(@ MSU, @ Purd, vs Wisc, @ OSU, @ NW, @ Neb, vs ILL, @ Iowa), 7 Q2(vs UM, vs NW, @ RU, @ IND, vs Iowa, vs MSU, @ Minn), 3 Q3(vs MD, vs IND, Minn)
Q1 2 home 6 road, Q2 4 home 3 road, Q3 3 home

Unlikely.

I see 2-5.
I can see beating Indiana after losing these next 2. Every dog has its day. Nebraska jellied us last year but we might play better once we take the underdog role in these games...Pike does his best work. Whatever the case if RU cannot win one of these games in the next 2 on the road, things can very well spiral where Zaps 0-7 prediction can happen

Reactions: BillyC80
navigating the portal is pretty difficult but you have to be aggressive. I think Underwood may have finally found the right makeup after some missteps to make a serious Big 10 and national title run. The Shannon issue looms but thus far they have responded well

Reactions: bitnez
my big 10 power rankings after 1/14

1. Purdue
2. Wisconsin
3. Illinois
4. Michigan State
5. Northwestern
6. Nebraska
7. Ohio State
8. Iowa
9. Maryland
10. Indiana
11. Minnesota
12. Rutgers
13. Penn State
14. Michigan

Reactions: darkcheck
my big 10 power rankings after 1/14

1. Purdue
2. Wisconsin
3. Illinois
4. Michigan State
5. Northwestern
6. Nebraska
7. Ohio State
8. Iowa
9. Maryland
10. Indiana
11. Minnesota
12. Rutgers
13. Penn State
14. Michigan
my new big 10 power rankings after 1/21

1. Purdue
2. Illinois
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan State
5. Nebraska
6. Northwestern
7. Ohio State
8. Maryland
9. Iowa
10. Penn State
11. Rutgers
12. Indiana
13. Michigan
14. Minnesota

at this point only the top 7 look like ncaa teams and Nebby/Northwestern net numbers are so so and bubble teams right now. Of the others perhaps only Iowa has somewhat of a chance for a NCAA bid.

my new big 10 power rankings after 1/21

1. Purdue
2. Illinois
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan State
5. Nebraska
6. Northwestern
7. Ohio State
8. Maryland
9. Iowa
10. Penn State
11. Rutgers
12. Indiana
13. Michigan
14. Minnesota

at this point only the top 7 look like ncaa teams and Nebby/Northwestern net numbers are so so and bubble teams right now. Of the others perhaps only Iowa has somewhat of a chance for a NCAA bid.
1/28

1. Purdue
2. Wisconsin
3. Illinois
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan State
6. Nebraska
7. Maryland
8. Iowa
9. Rutgers
10. Ohio State
11. Minnesota
12. Indiana
13. Penn State
14. Michigan

right now maybe only 5 NCAA definites with Nebby maybe a last 4 in right now and Maryland and Iowa needed huge 2nd half seasons to snag bids.

schools 9-14 are very very close, almost interchangable at this point. I cannot believe how bad Indiana and Ohio State have been lately.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
1/28

1. Purdue
2. Wisconsin
3. Illinois
4. Northwestern
5. Michigan State
6. Nebraska
7. Maryland
8. Iowa
9. Rutgers
10. Ohio State
11. Minnesota
12. Indiana
13. Penn State
14. Michigan

right now maybe only 5 NCAA definites with Nebby maybe a last 4 in right now and Maryland and Iowa needed huge 2nd half seasons to snag bids.

schools 9-14 are very very close, almost interchangable at this point. I cannot believe how bad Indiana and Ohio State have been lately.
This list is kinda what I see…minny is a little bit better than what we have shown …but I think we can make up sone ground

Right now , I think I see thjs

Purdue ..15-5
Wisconsin…13-7
Illinois …13-7
Michigan state 12-8
Northestern -12-8
Maryland 10-10
Indiana 10-10
Nebraska 9–11
Iowa 9-11
Ohio state 9-11
Rutgers 8-12