ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Color Wheel

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Really like it, and think the Big Ten should incorporate it into all sports.

Its been at center court for all the Big Ten Tournaments that I could remember, and never understood what it really was. Its the 2 main colors for each of the 14 members arranged like a pinwheel.

Just an observation while watching the games..wondering why its only used in the Big Ten Tournament and no where else..think its cool.

B_8LvslUYAAImzF.jpg:large

I think we are bottom left..right below the purple shade. I think the black sliver is what separates us from the other reds.

Above us is the 2 shades of purple, could only be Northwestern.

Above them is PSU, the MSU, then Purdue, the Michigan, then Iowa, the Illinois, then it gets tricky with the reds.

My guess is Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota (cause the yellow), Ohio State, Nebraska, then Maryland and us.

Originally posted by mikemarc1:
I think we are bottom left..right below the purple shade. I think the black sliver is what separates us from the other reds.

Above them is PSU, the MSU, then Purdue, the Michigan, then Iowa, the Illinois, then it gets tricky with the reds.

My guess is Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota (cause the yellow), Ohio State, Nebraska, then Maryland and us.
nebraska, rutgers, and ohio state are all scarlet so why should they even be different?

Originally posted by jay_hq:

Originally posted by mikemarc1:

nebraska, rutgers, and ohio state are all scarlet so why should they even be different?
according to the "color wheel"..maryland's red is closer to our red than ohio state and nebraska is to our red. Maryland must also be scarlet.

Personally, I think it looks cheap and like a circus, hardly a classic looking image for the B1G. Hate it.

Originally posted by r a c k:
Which color are we? Theres like seven red ones! I cant tell scarlet from burgundy
We're the salmon entry.

Originally posted by Exit117:
Personally, I think it looks cheap and like a circus, hardly a classic looking image for the B1G. Hate it.
I agree, I'd prefer a simple conference logo or something along those lines.

It's a visual reminder of my idea that the football divisions could be BLOOD and BRUISE. Blood is the six reds plus orange, bruise is the rest.

Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois

Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State, Northwestern, Minnesota

One crossover rival, (Michigan OSU, Purdue Indiana, NW Illinois, Rutgers PSU, not sure on others.)

Originally posted by GuildenGuy:

Originally posted by Exit117:
I agree, I'd prefer a simple conference logo or something along those lines.
+1

Looks more like some sort of a trademark at the end of a filmstrip we watched in the '70's than something that should be representing the B1G.

Here is the logo on a white background, which makes it easier to see the colors.

Starting with the green at the 10:00 position:

Michigan St: Green and Green
Purdue: Old Gold and Black
Michigan: Maize and Blue
Iowa: Gold and Black
Illinois: Orange and Blue
Ohio St: Scarlet and Gray
Indiana: Crimson and Cream
Minnesota: Maroon and Gold
Nebraska: Scarlet and Cream
Wisconsin: Red and Red
Maryland: Red and Gold
Rutgers: Scarlet and Black
Northwestern: Purple and Purple
Penn St: Blue and Blue

Note that the logo seems to take some artistic license in producing the secondary colors. Indiana and Nebraska might be switched, and the cream is represented differently for each school. Likewise Purdue and Iowa might be switched.

I don't think Wisconsin (red/red) and Rutgers (Scarlet/Black) are switched. Technically Wisconsin's colors are red/black while Scarlet is the only official color for Rutgers. But last year, Wisconsin was represented as red/red, and the red/black colors were added with the addition of Rutgers this year.
B1G_2015.jpg

I think it's supposed to represent a basketball net, as the white lines make it look like a net looking from the top down into the hoop, as they use it for the basketball tournaments. I like it think it's original and unique and cool.

Originally posted by Upstream:
Here is the logo on a white background, which makes it easier to see the colors.

Starting with the green at the 10:00 position:

Michigan St: Green and Green
Purdue: Old Gold and Black
Michigan: Maize and Blue
Iowa: Gold and Black
Illinois: Orange and Blue
Ohio St: Scarlet and Gray
Indiana: Crimson and Cream
Minnesota: Maroon and Gold
Nebraska: Scarlet and Cream
Wisconsin: Red and Red
Maryland: Red and Gold
Rutgers: Scarlet and Black
Northwestern: Purple and Purple
Penn St: Blue and Blue

Note that the logo seems to take some artistic license in producing the secondary colors. Indiana and Nebraska might be switched, and the cream is represented differently for each school. Likewise Purdue and Iowa might be switched.

I don't think Wisconsin (red/red) and Rutgers (Scarlet/Black) are switched. Technically Wisconsin's colors are red/black while Scarlet is the only official color for Rutgers. But last year, Wisconsin was represented as red/red, and the red/black colors were added with the addition of Rutgers this year.
ec
Wisconsin is red and black (the first one - more of a gray than black), Nebraska is red and red, we are red and black (the second one). They took the original logo which started with the 2008 tourney, and just added the new teams as they came in.

So its Northwestern, PSU, MSU, Purdue, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, OSU, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, UMD, RU.

I think its really cool - although I actually like the previous version below, with the chalk lines.

2011BigTenBasketballTournament.png

2012BigTenBasketballTournament.png

This post was edited on 3/16 9:43 AM by derleider

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT