ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten football permanent rivals?

I wanted to know if an AI program (ChatGPT) could do a better job than some random reporter on the Internet. Note that the info for UCLA and USC is not accurate because the AI database does not have info from the last two years. I also was not explicit about making Rivals 2 and 3 conference members, so you will see some non-conference schools listed. Here's a table listing each Big Ten School, including future conference members UCLA and USC, and their three biggest rivals:

SchoolRival 1Rival 2Rival 3
IllinoisNorthwesternIndianaMissouri
IndianaPurdueKentuckyIllinois
IowaIowa StateMinnesotaNebraska
MarylandPenn StateVirginiaRutgers
MichiganOhio StateMichigan StateNotre Dame
Michigan StateMichiganPenn StateNotre Dame
MinnesotaWisconsinIowaMichigan
NebraskaIowaOklahomaWisconsin
NorthwesternIllinoisMichiganNotre Dame
Ohio StateMichiganPenn StateMichigan State
Penn StateOhio StatePittMichigan State
PurdueIndianaNotre DameIllinois
RutgersPenn StateSyracuseMaryland
WisconsinMinnesotaIowaNebraska
UCLAUSCStanfordCalifornia
USCUCLANotre DameCalifornia
Note: The above list is based on traditional rivalries and may vary based on individual team or fan preferences.

Scarlet Jerry

I wanted to know if an AI program (ChatGPT) could do a better job than some random reporter on the Internet. Note that the info for UCLA and USC is not accurate because the AI database does not have info from the last two years. I also was not explicit about making Rivals 2 and 3 conference members, so you will see some non-conference schools listed. Here's a table listing each Big Ten School, including future conference members UCLA and USC, and their three biggest rivals:

SchoolRival 1Rival 2Rival 3
IllinoisNorthwesternIndianaRival Missouri
IndianaPurdueKentuckyIllinois
IowaIowa StateMinnesotaNebraska
MarylandPenn StateVirginiaRutgers
MichiganOhio StateMichigan StateNotre Dame
Michigan StateMichiganPenn StateNotre Dame
MinnesotaWisconsinIowaMichigan
NebraskaIowaOklahomaWisconsin
NorthwesternIllinoisMichiganNotre Dame
Ohio StateMichiganPenn StateMichigan State
Penn StateOhio StatePittMichigan State
PurdueIndianaNotre DameIllinois
RutgersPenn StateSyracuseMaryland
WisconsinMinnesotaIowaNebraska
UCLAUSCStanfordCalifornia
USCUCLANotre DameCalifornia
Note: The above list is based on traditional rivalries and may vary based on individual team or fan preferences.

Scarlet Jerry
Huh?? The Rival 2 column makes zero sense!

Huh?? The Rival 2 column makes zero sense!
I think that program Scarlet Jerry used didn't just include conference members but added geographic rivals as well, even if not in same conference ..
In the case of Illinois and Indiana , it could be basketball made them rivals.
That AI might include all sports not just football.

I think that program Scarlet Jerry used didn't just include conference members but added geographic rivals as well, even if not in same conference ..
Yes, that is correct. I still think it’s amazing that it was able to create a table just based on my question.

Scarlet, Jerry.

this is what ChatGPT said for me for Rutgers

Who are Rutgers three biggest football rivals in the Big Ten?

“As an AI language model, I don't have access to real-time data and information on the current state of sports, but historically, Rutgers has had several Big Ten opponents that could be considered their biggest rivals in football.
  1. Penn State: Rutgers and Penn State have a longstanding rivalry that dates back to their days in the Big East conference. Their annual matchup is known as the "Battle of the Birthplace" and is often a highly anticipated game for both fanbases.
  2. Maryland: Rutgers and Maryland have a newer rivalry that began when both schools joined the Big Ten in 2014. Their annual matchup is known as the "Battle for the Beltway" and is a rivalry game between two schools located in the mid-Atlantic region.
  3. Michigan State: Rutgers and Michigan State have had some intense matchups in recent years, including a memorable upset win by Rutgers over Michigan State in 2020. While not as long-standing as the other two rivalries, Rutgers vs. Michigan State has the potential to become a heated rivalry in the future.”

“As an AI language model, I don't have access to real-time data and information on the current state of sports, but historically, Rutgers has had several Big Ten opponents that could be considered their biggest rivals in football.
  1. Penn State: Rutgers and Penn State have a longstanding rivalry that dates back to their days in the Big East conference. Their annual matchup is known as the "Battle of the Birthplace" and is often a highly anticipated game for both fanbases.
  2. Maryland: Rutgers and Maryland have a newer rivalry that began when both schools joined the Big Ten in 2014. Their annual matchup is known as the "Battle for the Beltway" and is a rivalry game between two schools located in the mid-Atlantic region.
  3. Michigan State: Rutgers and Michigan State have had some intense matchups in recent years, including a memorable upset win by Rutgers over Michigan State in 2020. While not as long-standing as the other two rivalries, Rutgers vs. Michigan State has the potential to become a heated rivalry in the future.”

think ChatGPT made a boo boo with it's PSU explanation
Battle of Birthplace might belong to Princeton - Rutgers games ,also Penn Sate was never a member of Big East
Other two probably on the money
Rutgers first football game against the Nits was in 1918 but the next one was in 1950 >
32 years later.
Then it took another 27 years before they started playing each other on a regular bases
ending in 1995 until RU joined the B1G and started playing again

It would be cool if we could play Indiana and/or northwestern every conference game . Sprinkle in Norfolk state and Howard’s of the world in the non conference and you have schiano’s dream schedule

Syracuse on so many levels is way down on the rivals scale. So is UConn. Rather have Pitt or WVU

Reactions: Jimpeg
It would be cool if we could play Indiana and/or northwestern every conference game . Sprinkle in Norfolk state and Howard’s of the world in the non conference and you have schiano’s dream schedule
Do you buy season tickets and parking tags?

I love how there's a certain cadre that keeps trying to push us to be rivals with Maryland.

Maybe for OOC get a Saban schedule
Middle Tennessee , Charlotte & South Florida
or
steal the Delaware and UMass games from Penn St.

I love how there's a certain cadre that keeps trying to push us to be rivals with Maryland.
I’m fine with it. And would like it to be the last game of the season every year.

I didn’t consider Northwestern until it was mentioned in the thread. Not bad either.

Maryland, Penn St, Michigan State or whoever, none will be rivals until enough meaningful games between the program make it so.
If playing Maryland brings out the right emotions and need to beat attitude, they might be a good rival.
But I feel once Rutgers stary=ts winning enough games against the Nits that will be the main rivalry game for the fans of both programs.
Just wanting a rivalery won't do it, the BIG wanted one between MSU & PSU but the fans of both schools didn't agree even with some trophy awarded to the winner. it was just another game to most fans

Reactions: PSU_Nut and Source
Maryland, Penn St, Michigan State or whoever, none will be rivals until enough meaningful games between the program make it so. If playing Maryland brings out the right emotions and need to beat attitude, they might be a good rival. But I feel once Rutgers stary=ts winning enough games against the Nits that will be the main rivalry game for the fans of both programs. Just wanting a rivalery won't do it, the BIG wanted one between MSU & PSU but the fans of both schools didn't agree even with some trophy awarded to the winner. it was just another game to most fans.
Point and click rivalries aren't real rivalries. Accepted rivalries are first seen in your rear view mirror. You already have one by the time you're thinking about it.

"Let's-make-a-trophy-pick-a-game-and-think-of-a-reason" rivalry is not a rivalry. There are other charateristics that go into a rivalry as well.

As an example, anybody remember the Rutgers-Colgate Cup from any time in history?

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Point and click rivalries aren't real rivalries. Accepted rivalries are first seen in your rear view mirror. You already have one by the time you're thinking about it.

"Let's-make-a-trophy-pick-a-game-and-think-of-a-reason" rivalry is not a rivalry. There are other charateristics that go into a rivalry as well.

As an example, anybody remember the Rutgers-Colgate Cup from any time in history?
It was a toothbrush.

It was a toothbrush.
Nah... it was a bronzed cavity.

The November 18, 1965 Targum reported a new finale opponent, “The winner of the game will gain possession of the newly established (1964) Rutgers-Colgate Alumni Cup. The trophy is sponsored by Harry Taylor, a 1918 Colgate alumnus, and George Underwood, a 1925 Rutgers graduate. The trophy marks the traditional season ending game.” Colgate was the final opponent for the remainder of the 1960s and then sporadically from 1971-88. The last meeting between the two was in 1993.

Last edited:
PSU, Maryland, and MSU is exactly what I have predicted. Although I would prefer Indiana over MSU to ease up on our schedule a bit.

I’ve felt there has been a budding rivalry with MSU ever since We beat them a few times over the years before we joined the B1G.

Now there is some juice to the basketball rivalry as well.

PSU, Maryland, and MSU is exactly what I have predicted. Although I would prefer Indiana over MSU to ease up on our schedule a bit.

I’ve felt there has been a budding rivalry with MSU ever since We beat them a few times over the years before we joined the B1G.

I would be extremely surprised if we keep PSU on a permanent basis. The "rival" games will be defined by the TV partners who will want USC, PSU, OSU and UM to play annually. We don't draw the ratings.

For that reason I could see us with Maryland, Indiana and Northwestern.

agree! On top of that, lots of NJ kids go to Indiana

I would be extremely surprised if we keep PSU on a permanent basis. The "rival" games will be defined by the TV partners who will want USC, PSU, OSU and UM to play annually. We don't draw the ratings.

no way, we'll keep psu for travel reasons

Reactions: Jimpeg

That would be great.

Balance and equity were always going to be a big part of it. Yea the big schools will need to play each other but not to the point where there's inequity on an annual basis. It might happen on occasion for a particular team but not regularly.

Just came across this article in the Athletic. (it's paywall but here's an excerpt)

From the article:

College Football Playoff qualification was established as the core tenet, and any future alignment must serve that greater good. Two other common-sense principles were established, too. One, that scheduling should be fair and equitable. Two, that every four-year player should compete at least once on every Big Ten campus. Illinois, for instance, no longer will have to wait nine years before competing three hours southeast at Indiana.

“I don’t know where we’ll end up. But it’ll follow those principles. What’s the most fair? What’s going to give us the most teams in the new playoff? And we don’t want to go — I don’t want to go, and I don’t think the Big Ten has interest in going seven years until you play somebody. So, getting into a better rotation.”

Reactions: RUTGERS95

While i agree with this, you need perceived "cupcakes" on every team's permanent rivals.
Otherwise if USC, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn St "pod'ed" a permanent rival, one of those teams could have 3 losses every year allowing a Michigan St, Nebraska, Wisconsin to "Win".

With that said, I wouldn't think Penn State gets both Maryland and Rutgers.
I believe they will try and get the top half two top half rivals and the bottom half only 1. The Bottom Half would get two bottom half rivals.

If you consider Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, USC and Iowa to be the top half,

That list had
Top Half
Penn State and USC only had one top Half Rivals.

Bottom Half
Rutgers, UCLA, and Minnesota had 2 top half Rivals.
Illinois somehow did not have any.

Who knows what will happen. But aside from Illinois, i could see it panning out this way, but wouldn't be surprised if we end up with either Penn St or Michigan St.

Just like the B1G will not leave USC & UCLA "on an island" by themselves (more west coast teams will certainly be added), They will make sure that PSU, RU, and Maryland play each other most years.
In football , travel is not much of a thought when scheduling opponents . I am sure they won’t make schools have cross country flights more than twice in the same season and probably not back to back weeks.
But it’s charter flights and busses at this level.

Psu and Maryland make the most sense.
We we’re developing a nice rivalry with Indiana but MSU isn’t so bad.

Reactions: megadrone
Psu and Maryland make the most sense.
To whom?

To us, absolutely.

To PSU? Maybe, maybe not. They don't consider us a rival. They may want us as a perceived easy road trip for their fans.

To the TV networks? We are an afterthought.

The league will put together the matchups they want, and then will deal with the leftovers. That's where we come in. Where it leaves us in terms of our three protected "rivalries", I cannot say.

Reactions: megadrone
Don’t forget it’s possible that some “permanent” rivals for particular teams could get switched as time goes in a somewhat semi permanent fashion.

To whom?

To us, absolutely.

To PSU? Maybe, maybe not. They don't consider us a rival. They may want us as a perceived easy road trip for their fans.

To the TV networks? We are an afterthought.

The league will put together the matchups they want, and then will deal with the leftovers. That's where we come in. Where it leaves us in terms of our three protected "rivalries", I cannot say.
Penn State recruits NJ pretty hard. It is in there best interest to play us every year.
We think Penn State is our rival but ( as others mentioned) until we start winning it’s
can’t be a rivalry.
Maryland is an obvious rival for us. We are two schools who joined the conference together, and are at comparable stages in our development.We have also played in some really close games.
We have had good games with Indiana and Michigan St. That doesn’t count as a rivalry to me. I would be leaving it at only two.

In football , travel is not much of a thought when scheduling opponents . I am sure they won’t make schools have cross country flights more than twice in the same season and probably not back to back weeks.
But it’s charter flights and busses at this level.
In a 3-6-6 I don't believe any team would need to go to Cali more than once a year for football. The 3rd team would play 1 home and 1 away one year and reverse it the next and the 6's would only play Ucla and USC 2 times each in 4 years.

Or am I missing something

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT