ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten in the US News rankings.

Both academic rankings are better than RU's. Not sure what your point is.
My point is that football is the reason kids go there. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but for the most part, kids are going there because they perceive their football teams to be great. If either of those schools dropped football, hardly anyone would apply there. Then in a couple of years, the schools would cease to exist.

My point is that football is the reason kids go there. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but for the most part, kids are going there because they perceive their football teams to be great. If either of those schools dropped football, hardly anyone would apply there. Then in a couple of years, the schools would cease to exist.

No one would apply to Notre Dame? Surely you're not serious, and I know your name's not Shirly.

JFC...no one is attending Rutgers because 'the football team is great'. anyone who thinks that is in first grade at most.

It doesn't matter to HS students and their families what conference the university is in. Having a big time sports program may matter, but not the conference. Cost matters too, which is why more in-state kids choose the home state school than choose other state universities.

More NJ kids go to RU than go to NC St, or to VT, or to South Carolina, etc not because our football team is great or because of our conference or because of rankings but because of the significantly lower cost.

That would not change if VT became a top 40 school, for example.

JFC...no one is attending Rutgers because 'the football team is great'. anyone who thinks that is in first grade at most.

It doesn't matter to HS students and their families what conference the university is in. Having a big time sports program may matter, but not the conference. Cost matters too, which is why more in-state kids choose the home state school than choose other state universities.

More NJ kids go to RU than go to NC St, or to VT, or to South Carolina, etc not because our football team is great or because of our conference or because of rankings but because of the significantly lower cost.

That's true and not true at the same time. Many NJ families try to boost their egos by sending their kids to highly overrated OOS schools like Delaware or some other overpriced school that doesn't justify the cost as bragging rights in the Shoprite lines or something. Keeping up with the Joneses is a very real thing especially in the upper middle class suburbs of NJ.

So kids choose schools because of what football conference the school is in?? That has got to be one of most asinine things I ever heard!! By your logic no one would be applying to Notre dame since they aren’t in a football conference !
gee you are dumb, the BIG is ( from their website)
"Known as one of intercollegiate sports’ most successful undertakings, the Big Ten is home to a lineage of legendary names and an ongoing tradition of developing strong leaders. Even in its infancy, the conference established itself as the preeminent collection of institutions in the nation, where the pursuit of academic excellence prevailed as the definitive goal." Dummy,kids generally want to go to schools of "academic excellence" Rutgers is one of those schools in that preeminent collection of institutions.

That's true and not true at the same time. Many NJ families try to boost their egos by sending their kids to highly overrated OOS schools like Delaware or some other overpriced school that doesn't justify the cost as bragging rights in the Shoprite lines or something. Keeping up with the Joneses is a very real thing especially in the upper middle class suburbs of NJ.
"many NJ families" is still a very small minority. there is no added prestige @ Delaware, MD, URI or a hundred other state schools. some kids just want to go experience living in another state. I highly doubt anyone brags about sending a kid to UDel.

There are a handful of more prestigious state schools kids may prefer, but conference has nothing to do with the attraction.

"Known as one of intercollegiate sports’ most successful undertakings, the Big Ten is home to a lineage of legendary names and an ongoing tradition of developing strong leaders. Even in its infancy, the conference established itself as the preeminent collection of institutions in the nation, where the pursuit of academic excellence prevailed as the definitive goal." Dummy,kids generally want to go to schools of "academic excellence" Rutgers is one of those schools in that preeminent collection of institutions.
Academic excellence is not related to football conference.
What you want them to put on their website “The BIG. We are a football conference run by Fox . We also play other sports.”

Reactions: Morrischiano
"many NJ families" is still a very small minority. there is no added prestige @ Delaware, MD, URI or a hundred other state schools. some kids just want to go experience living in another state. I highly doubt anyone brags about sending a kid to UDel.

There are a handful of more prestigious state schools kids may prefer, but conference has nothing to do with the attraction.

I think you'd be surprised. UDel had a cache' for a time and a little farther back Vermont did as well.

Reactions: bigmatt718

When I was in high school during 2006 Rutgers became "cool" among my friends. There's plenty of evidence that football and to a lesser extent basketball success leads to increase in applications.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Does Penn state get more applicants or better students because the team joined the BIG?
Did rutgers magically get more applicants or better students after July 1 2014?

Nebraska was in the AAU in 2009 when it was accepted into the B1G. But it lost that status in short order afterward.
Nebraska refused to count the Med school with the main campus stuff. It operates on its own and the AAU wanted them to combine it. They also don’t give any credit for agriculture research which is NU’s main research arm. Without the med school and the ag stuff the AAU says NU doesn’t qualify for AAU status.
It’s funny how OSU and Michigan voted for us to be an AAU member until after we joined the big 10 and Both voted to have the status removed as soon as got into the conference.

NU can and will reapply in 2026 I believe it is. While they haven’t changed the med school stuff they have put more focus on other research than ag to try and get back in. As far as the BOG goes for NU they really don’t care if they are members so I don’t think you will see NU changing anything else to get in.

When I was in high school during 2006 Rutgers became "cool" among my friends. There's plenty of evidence that football and to a lesser extent basketball success leads to increase in applications.
Oh, I absolutely agree with that. Success increases popularity regardless of conference.

In fact, the flip side being in the Big10 probably decreases popularity since we aren’t competitive.

The majority of people who go to state schools opt to attend the in-state one for cost reasons.

Try doing some research even NJ.com recognizes the tremendous positive academic effect the BIG has had on RU-- even with losing football.

Like what ?
Similar to the alliance the BIG had with the PAC 12 lol
Per Wiki:

"The BTAA's collaborative efforts span the academic enterprise of its members, including:

cooperative purchasing and licensing[15]
course sharing[16]
professional development programs[17]
library resources[18]
information technology[19]
international collaborations[20]
faculty networking[21]
participant in Google Books Library Project[22]"

No one would apply to Notre Dame? Surely you're not serious, and I know your name's not Shirly.

I'm totally serious. I know it will never happen and it's hard to imagine, but If Notre Dame said we are ending football forever, applications would decline by 90%. You really think anyone would go there with absolutely no football? There's no way to prove it, but that's what I think would happen, just my opinion.

Shirley

I'm totally serious. I know it will never happen and it's hard to imagine, but If Notre Dame said we are ending football forever, applications would decline by 90%. You really think anyone would go there with absolutely no football? There's no way to prove it, but that's what I think would happen, just my opinion.

Shirley
absolutely tru

Shirley

I hope it happens so we can make a small wager. Look at NDs academic rankings.

Does Penn state get more applicants or better students because the team joined the BIG?
Did rutgers magically get more applicants or better students after July 1 2014?

They may have when they joined.

I think you'd have to agree that applicants and student quality are up. Now you can say (correctly) they were increasing before that, and that economic factors with the cost of college might be present.

I think there's still good evidence the B1G increased awareness across the board.

I hope it happens so we can make a small wager. Look at NDs academic rankings.

If you're talking about US News, those rankings are total BS. Half of the score is just determined by a poll. It has little to do with academic achievement. What drives people's perspectives is athletic success and how hard a school is to get into - the acceptance rate.

Schools like Notre Dame have always put football as their number one priority. Actually, their only priority. Doesn't matter what they have to do, just win and it's worked very well. The more they win, the more applicants they get. The more applicants, the lower the acceptance rate. The lower the acceptance rate, the higher the ranking.

I would laugh in their face if they are “bragging” over Delaware. I get some kids want to get away and parents don’t want to say no if they can afford it. It’s their money.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Test optional. Schools are telling kids don’t submit unless you have X. I think the % of applicants that provide SAT scores is around 50%.
It’s true. My son is going to be a junior at Delbarton. He just got a 34 on his practice ACT. His school advisor told him to continue practicing and taking a practice ACT until he gets a 35 or 36 (out of 36) and then he’ll be ready for the real ACT.

If you're talking about US News, those rankings are total BS. Half of the score is just determined by a poll. It has little to do with academic achievement. What drives people's perspectives is athletic success and how hard a school is to get into - the acceptance rate.

Schools like Notre Dame have always put football as their number one priority. Actually, their only priority. Doesn't matter what they have to do, just win and it's worked very well. The more they win, the more applicants they get. The more applicants, the lower the acceptance rate. The lower the acceptance rate, the higher the ranking.
So why is Alabama ranked 137?

It’s true. My son is going to be a junior at Delbarton. He just got a 34 on his practice ACT. His school advisor told him to continue practicing and taking a practice ACT until he gets a 35 or 36 (out of 36) and then he’ll be ready for the real ACT.
Is he taking the SAT also? My daughter took the SAT and score a submitable score. But she wants to take the ACT to see if she can improve.

Is he taking the SAT also? My daughter took the SAT and score a submitable score. But she wants to take the ACT to see if she can improve.
No he’s only taking the ACT. The thinking is that it is easier to get a perfect score on the ACT than over 1500 on the SAT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT