ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen coaches

Knight Owl

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001

So let’s compare “how it started to how it’s going” for BigTen coaches.

Can $10.2 mill a year for Ryan Day keep OSU at the high level to which Urban Meyer boosted them?

Have Greg and the two coordinators and the OL coach finally earned a lifetime contract just based on the development of the players?

Is Harbaugh or Franklin the biggest goofball in the conference? Harbaugh has certainly gotten UM to the top. They probably deserved to win last year’s playoff game but they played like shaky chicken meat at times. Franklin of course is the bronze medal king of the East.

Last edited:
Schiano is doing great job but also has 4 more years on his contract. I say we guarantee the balance of the contract since he‘s going to be here 3 more years before the fans start to talk about firing him again. Schiano isn’t going anywhere since no body want him just like before he started at Rutger the second time.

Schiano is doing great job but also has 4 more years on his contract. I say we guarantee the balance of the contract since he‘s going to be here 3 more years before the fans start to talk about firing him again. Schiano isn’t going anywhere since no body want him just like before he started at Rutger the second time.
What a hater - and BTW you also have no idea what you are talking about.

What a hater - and BTW you also have no idea what you are talking about.
What the problem, you want to give Schiano a raise? You probably wanted him fired the first time and will in 3 more years. Schiano is here for life.

Seems fair. The AstroBluebonnet Bowl ain’t nothing!!! (now played outdoors in NYC and called the Pinstripe Bowl lol).
Schiano really is the perfect fit to build the program and a lot of two and three star guys really can play like four star guys given some time/training/coaching.
Finding super-explosive WR’s who can catch the ball who are only rated at two or three stars is almost impossible though. Slot receivers are a different breed of course and J. Jackson was a true “find.”

Last edited:
Seems fair. The AstroBluebonnet Bowl ain’t nothing!!! (now played outdoors in NYC and called the Pinstripe Bowl lol).
Schiano really is the perfect fit to build the program.
Schiano has definitely improved over the first time, very few penalties and very few mistakes. In the past we couldn’t score in the red zone and too many scoring drives stopped with too many penalties. I also noticed that we had about 12-13 interceptions every year under Teel and Nova.

Last edited:
Let's say Greg does something crazy like shock either OSU or PSU and wins one of the Iowa/MAryland and or both.
Do you all still say he ain't going anywhere...He would 100% get another COY and stock would become pretty damn high.

Where would prefer being at over Rutgers? He is a Jersey guy who actually loved this school. He gave it a shot in the NFL which he now knows was not a good fit. This isn't Todd Graham we are talking about.

Let's say Greg does something crazy like shock either OSU or PSU and wins one of the Iowa/MAryland and or both.
Do you all still say he ain't going anywhere...He would 100% get another COY and stock would become pretty damn high.
Not getting a COY without winning at least a Division Title/ Top 3 Finish in this football league.

If we should be fortunate enough to beat Iowa and Maryland, and not look bad against OSU and PSU, Schiano's stock would be high. But, it seems to me, his reputation would be one of rebuilding programs in the tank, and not necessarily reaching the heights. So who takes him on and does he really want to do that again somewhere else? If, say, Franklin goes to the pros or just somewhere else, I don't see GS high on their list, or even on Northwestern's, Indiana's, MSU's, etc.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If we should be fortunate enough to beat Iowa and Maryland, and not look bad against OSU and PSU, Schiano's stock would be high. But, it seems to me, his reputation would be one of rebuilding programs in the tank, and not necessarily reaching the heights. So who takes him on and does he really want to do that again somewhere else? If, say, Franklin goes to the pros or just somewhere else, I don't see GS high on their list, or even on Northwestern's, Indiana's, MSU's, etc.
UConn!! Coincidentally, just zipped off a letter to New Zealand!!!

This is not how college football works.

Smarten up.

Greg will get a raise and extension.

The only reason he hasn’t reached the heights is that Rutgers has lacked the resources to do so. Build the Fieldhouse and that will change. His pay should be based on what he is worth, not on someone’s perception on whether other teams would would hire him.

The only reason he hasn’t reached the heights is that Rutgers has lacked the resources to do so. Build the Fieldhouse and that will change. His pay should be based on what he is worth, not on someone’s perception on whether other teams would would hire him.
You have no data to support that claim. What we do have data for is his ability to rebuild. He aleady has solidly exceeded expectations this year, and with one more win, will have done an amazing job. Can he be an elite coach? I hope so. Time will tell. He needs a crackerjack QB -- maybe Surace will be that person, or maybe Wimsatt will continue to develop.

I said this when he left for Tampa Bay and I will say it again ... Schiano would have to be the dumbest person on the planet to ever leave the Rutgers HC job. At Rutgers, he could go 6-6 every season and be held up as a hero by 85% of the fanbase. And the university officials would never ever give him a hard time because they couldn't care less about the athletic department (and many actively root against football success). He has no in-state rivals that he is recruiting against and there are really no recruiting rivals in New York either.

Anywhere else in the country, if he doesn't win in three years, they are gonna fire him and move on and wouldn't hesitate or think twice about it.

I said this when he left for Tampa Bay and I will say it again ... Schiano would have to be the dumbest person on the planet to ever leave the Rutgers HC job. At Rutgers, he could go 6-6 every season and be held up as a hero by 85% of the fanbase. And the university officials would never ever give him a hard time because they couldn't care less about the athletic department (and many actively root against football success). He has no in-state rivals that he is recruiting against and there are really no recruiting rivals in New York either.

Anywhere else in the country, if he doesn't win in three years, they are gonna fire him and move on and wouldn't hesitate or think twice about it.
On his first time around- he has to give the NFL a shot. That would be like a CEO of a billion $ company not taking a fortune 50 CEO position.

To do it a second time- that would be dumb. But if Rutgers continues to be stubborn with $$$ and the right offer, in college comes, he may have to consider.

You have no data to support that claim. What we do have data for is his ability to rebuild. He aleady has solidly exceeded expectations this year, and with one more win, will have done an amazing job. Can he be an elite coach? I hope so. Time will tell. He needs a crackerjack QB -- maybe Surace will be that person, or maybe Wimsatt will continue to develop.
There’s plenty of data to support the claim, all the 4 and 5 stars he recruited while at Ohio State, where he was among the best recruiters.

The biggest difference, between the programs, imo, is facilities, which provides the lions share of the student experience. This is why he insisted that a new facility go into his contract.

Rutgers commissioned a study, many years ago, which found that the football facilities were not competitive with Big Ten peers.

He’s 6-2 at a program that hadn't won 6 games since 2014. The 2014 team had many of the kids that he recruited. He’s the only one that has successfully built a Big Ten competitive Rutgers team, twice. Furthermore, we continue to recruit impressively, bringing in 2 4 star recruits, which is good for us.

Build the facility, and we will be elite in time. The basketball experience suggests this, as we built the APC around 2019, and now we’re in contention for a good number of 4 and 5 star recruits. I think this will be replicated with football.

Last edited:
Rutgers with 8 wins and either OSU or PSU as wins…I think he runs away with it.
You can make a strong case that any 2 wins and Michigan wins out and Schiano is the frontrunner. I don't think anyone is giving Harbaugh COY while under a cloud of investigation.

There’s plenty of data to support the claim, all the 4 and 5 stars he recruited while at Ohio State, where he was among the best recruiters.

The biggest difference, between the programs, imo, is facilities, which provides the lions share of the student experience. This is why he insisted that a new facility go into his contract.

Rutgers commissioned a study, many years ago, which found that the football facilities were not competitive with Big Ten peers.

He’s 6-2 at a program that hadn't won 6 games since 2014. The 2014 team had many of the kids that he recruited. He’s the only one that has successfully built a Big Ten competitive Rutgers team, twice. Furthermore, we continue to recruit impressively, bringing in 2 4 star recruits, which is good for us.

Build the facility, and we will be elite in time. The basketball experience suggests this, as we built the APC around 2019, and now we’re in contention for a good number of 4 and 5 star recruits. I think this will be replicated with football.
OK- I was so damn pissed when Greg gave up an entire year of QB when he skipped an entire recruiting season. That was only surpassed by one year during 1.0 that he didnt recruit OL ???? WTF?
But, I have been critical- he has done these things this past year
1- Upgraded the coaching staff and he has a few guys who just can't be bullied into compliance. We have seen the difference it makes
2 - Recruiting became pretty damn good from where we have been.
3- He actually seems to make adjustments in game and it has created a couple of wins.

Write this down and I will own it or own up to it...
Wimsatt becomes dangerous with arm and legs in 2024
Wimsatt become elite in 2025

OK- I was so damn pissed when Greg gave up an entire year of QB when he skipped an entire recruiting season. That was only surpassed by one year during 1.0 that he didnt recruit OL ???? WTF?
But, I have been critical- he has done these things this past year
1- Upgraded the coaching staff and he has a few guys who just can't be bullied into compliance. We have seen the difference it makes
2 - Recruiting became pretty damn good from where we have been.
3- He actually seems to make adjustments in game and it has created a couple of wins.

Write this down and I will own it or own up to it...
Wimsatt becomes dangerous with arm and legs in 2024
Wimsatt become elite in 2025
Your expectations mirror mine. We saw a progression with Teel, Hart, and Nova, and I expect to see the same for Wimsatt. He just needs to commit good mechanics to muscle memory. He made an NFL throw to Isaiah Washington at the back of the endzone when we faced MSU.

Count me in on Gavin Wimsatt progressing again between these last 5 games and 2024 bowl season. If Kirk is OC in 2024 you will definitely see a kid who can run and pass.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
You can make a strong case that any 2 wins and Michigan wins out and Schiano is the frontrunner. I don't think anyone is giving Harbaugh COY while under a cloud of investigation.
You can’t say never in the B1G it would not be out of character. If Team wins 1 or 2 more this year he should receive the award.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT