ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Ribbon CBB Preview Extremely Low On RU This Season

MHladik919

Redshirt
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2023
Let me just say that even thinking more conservatively about this year, I don't see this happening, but Blue Ribbon's college hoops preview is picking Rutgers to finish 15th in the 18-team Big Ten...If an implosion like that happens with these two freshmen, it would be very surprising/ugly.

If the national media doesn't project RU as a Sweet 16 type of team, are some of you still holding Pike to that type of year?

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Imo the West Coast teams are going to struggle. That's a TON of travel for them. And especially at USC, UCLA, and Washington there will be a lot of visiting fans in their buildings night in night out for all the West Coast alums.

Having Washington 10th is pretty wild.

Reactions: RUkhoury
Wow. Blue Ribbon is usually pretty good but this is exceptionally low. I think we are a bubble team playing our best ball in March after a slow start.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I mean its going to be a crazy Big Ten. We arguably have the most upside out of any team, but it does rely on the freshmen being good for us to be good. It would be nice if we didn't have to be so reliant, but if they are good, which I think at the very least Dylan has the chance to be special in college, the team should be fine. I will say its very weird how Illinois is insanely high when they're arguably just as reliant on lower rated freshmen and has as much of an unproven frontcourt as we do.

I mean its going to be a crazy Big Ten. We arguably have the most upside out of any team, but it does rely on the freshmen being good for us to be good. It would be nice if we didn't have to be so reliant, but if they are good, which I think at the very least Dylan has the chance to be special in college, the team should be fine. I will say its very weird how Illinois is insanely high when they're arguably just as reliant on lower rated freshmen and has as much of an unproven frontcourt as we do.
I did a little peaking...aren't they reliant on transfers.

I think we will be a bubble team/double digit seed. Hoping for better. But really just get in the tournament and anything can happen.

What people are discounting is say Ace or Dylan get an injury, even a minor one. They may shut it down and focus on the draft.

I think we will be a bubble team/double digit seed. Hoping for better. But really just get in the tournament and anything can happen.

What people are discounting is say Ace or Dylan get an injury, even a minor one. They may shut it down and focus on the draft.

Not a loaded question, but can you cite a few other recent 5 stars who have done the same? Specifically asking about a minor injury because I don’t see that as a strategy which would boost one’s draft prospects.

Blue Ribbon's college hoops preview
deserves this
calgary-alberta-canada-april-pabst-blue-ribbon-beer-can-ml-white-background-179691776.jpg

Guys.. I think you need to temper expectations and then be pleasantly surprised.

Here's my take... our stars are very young. We have seen teams with older thicker players beat up on us last year.. even Princeton did so. I think we have added some toughness so that will be good.. but will teams just thug-up on our star Frosh and take them out of their games?

There's a risk there. You'd be blind not to acknowledge that risk. Maybe we have a plan how to handle that. The officials allowed it last year.. all season long. If we handle it and win.. I shall be ecstatic. And we will know were we stand in 77 days or so (Vegas Tourney).. maybe as early as the scrimmage vs St. Johns.

All that said, I think middle-of-the-pack and bubble is our rock bottom. This 15 of 18 is an insanely bad take.

Not a loaded question, but can you cite a few other recent 5 stars who have done the same? Specifically asking about a minor injury because I don’t see that as a strategy which would boost one’s draft prospects.
I don’t know if there are any . Just saying it can happen. I think Kyrie sat out most of his season at Duke, but did come back.

Didn't Dylan and Ace get rated as the best freshman duo in the BIG. ? Also the supporting cast up to 10 players are the best we have had in the last 10 years or maybe ever.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Didn't Dylan and Ace get rated as the best freshman duo in the BIG. ? Also the supporting cast up to 10 players are the best we have had in the last 10 years or maybe ever.

I typically get the Blue Ribbon preview every year, but was thinking about not getting it this year and just saving a little money....That was before I saw the Big Ten rankings, now I almost want to buy it solely because I want to hear some of the justification for RU being 15th.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Betting odds have us 5th I believe
The money is usually accurate
I agree with your premise, but that is more a measure of ceiling and not expected performance.

I dont know the inside outs on all the teams but Looking at those odds id bet if it was expected B1G wins or % chance of dancing we would be in the lower end of the tier that ends BEFOrE Oregon

Barring injury, I’m expecting us to end up in the 5-8 slot in conference play which would / should put us in the NCAA s

Would I be surprised if we end up 1-4 ? No

Would I be surprised if we end up 9th or below ? Yes.

Guys.. I think you need to temper expectations and then be pleasantly surprised.

Here's my take... our stars are very young. We have seen teams with older thicker players beat up on us last year.. even Princeton did so. I think we have added some toughness so that will be good.. but will teams just thug-up on our star Frosh and take them out of their games?

There's a risk there. You'd be blind not to acknowledge that risk. Maybe we have a plan how to handle that. The officials allowed it last year.. all season long. If we handle it and win.. I shall be ecstatic. And we will know were we stand in 77 days or so (Vegas Tourney).. maybe as early as the scrimmage vs St. Johns.

All that said, I think middle-of-the-pack and bubble is our rock bottom. This 15 of 18 is an insanely bad take.
Fair points but our two future lottery picks wouldn't be talked about as future lottery picks if they were soft. I think some teams are going to be in for a rude surprise if they try and thug them up.

Projecting how a team will do often starts with an evaluation of returning players. We only have 3 returning, and 2 of them missed two-thirds of last season.

That said, the landscape of CBB has changed so dramatically, for all teams when it comes to returning personnel.

I think we’ll hold our own and finish in the top half of the league. If that gets us to the dance we’ll be dangerous because our superfrosh will have matured and will be battle tested by then.

Fair points but our two future lottery picks wouldn't be talked about as future lottery picks if they were soft. I think some teams are going to be in for a rude surprise if they try and thug them up.
I hear you.. and hope you are right. But there is usually a big difference between 18-year-olds and select 23-year-old 5th-year transfer players' bodies being collected by some teams. While many 1 and done players do become those lottery picks, the NBA is a different game.

I am NOT predicting anything here.. just siding with cautious optimism. Setting what may be unrealistic expectations could result in unnecessary disappointment while we should be happy these star players chose Rutgers. I will be happy with what they CAN do, which is a lot of great basketball, even if that does not dominate everyone we play.

Oh.. and have you ever seen a situation where older players did not try to thug it up on young big-name stars? Think Caitlan Clark. She's winning most of those encounters now but her team is top of the middle of the pack.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
On the other hand #25 in ESPN WTE Top 25:

25. Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Previous ranking: 25

Are Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper ready to carry Rutgers? This is going to be the most anticipated season in Rutgers men's basketball history. The Scarlet Knights are bringing in Bailey and Harper, two of the top three picks in ESPN's most recent 2025 NBA mock draft. And Steve Pikiell is going to rely on both heavily from day one. He has surrounded them with veteran transfers, but Rutgers' success this season will be determined by how quickly its two star freshmen can produce.

Projected starting lineup

Dylan Harper (No. 4 in ESPN 100)
Jeremiah Williams (12.2 PPG)
Jordan Derkack (17.0 PPG at Merrimack)
Ace Bailey (No. 2 in ESPN 100)
Zach Martini (8.4 PPG at Princeton)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-way-too-early-top-25-rankings-2024-25-season

I hear you.. and hope you are right. But there is usually a big difference between 18-year-olds and select 23-year-old 5th-year transfer players' bodies being collected by some teams. While many 1 and done players do become those lottery picks, the NBA is a different game.

I am NOT predicting anything here.. just siding with cautious optimism. Setting what may be unrealistic expectations could result in unnecessary disappointment while we should be happy these star players chose Rutgers. I will be happy with what they CAN do, which is a lot of great basketball, even if that does not dominate everyone we play.

Oh.. and have you ever seen a situation where older players did not try to thug it up on young big-name stars? Think Caitlan Clark. She's winning most of those encounters now but her team is top of the middle of the pack.
Caitlin Clark was exactly who I thought of and I’d hope the NCAA refs who LOVE ticky tack whistles would put an end to it…

On the other hand #25 in ESPN WTE Top 25:

25. Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Previous ranking: 25

Are Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper ready to carry Rutgers? This is going to be the most anticipated season in Rutgers men's basketball history. The Scarlet Knights are bringing in Bailey and Harper, two of the top three picks in ESPN's most recent 2025 NBA mock draft. And Steve Pikiell is going to rely on both heavily from day one. He has surrounded them with veteran transfers, but Rutgers' success this season will be determined by how quickly its two star freshmen can produce.

Projected starting lineup

Dylan Harper (No. 4 in ESPN 100)
Jeremiah Williams (12.2 PPG)
Jordan Derkack (17.0 PPG at Merrimack)
Ace Bailey (No. 2 in ESPN 100)
Zach Martini (8.4 PPG at Princeton)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-way-too-early-top-25-rankings-2024-25-season
Nice pre-season ranking ... but since the projected starting line-up is very likely wrong, it may call into question their evaluation.

I am 95% (never say 100%) certain Derkack is not starting, but Ogbole will, and that Bailey will START at the Wing Forward position. Bailey at the WF slot creates enormous problems defensively for the opponent (what WF will be able to cover him?), and Bailey is easily athletic enough to cover opposing WF's. Plus, Martini at PF also creates match-up problems while still being able to defend decently. While it is true a Center would have issues covering Martini out on the perimeter - forcing post defenders out of the paint (which would help Williams, Harper and Bailey get to the rim), and Martini likely will play some at the 5 position, he is primarily a PF.

Nice pre-season ranking ... but since the projected starting line-up is very likely wrong, it may call into question their evaluation.

I am 95% (never say 100%) certain Derkack is not starting, but Ogbole will, and that Bailey will START at the Wing Forward position. Bailey at the WF slot creates enormous problems defensively for the opponent (what WF will be able to cover him?), and Bailey is easily athletic enough to cover opposing WF's. Plus, Martini at PF also creates match-up problems while still being able to defend decently. While it is true a Center would have issues covering Martini out on the perimeter - forcing post defenders out of the paint (which would help Williams, Harper and Bailey get to the rim), and Martini likely will play some at the 5 position, he is primarily a PF.
Like those thoughts... we are going to have a lot of open 3-point shots for Martini in your scenario as the PF will leave him to help stop Ace taking his WF defender to the hoop. Lots of doubles of our penetrators. It should be fun to watch.

Seems clear the blue ribbon "experts" don't think much of Derkack, Martini, Acuff, PJ, JWill, JMack, BigE, Lathan, Dortch, or Grant. Just a bunch of stiffs, apparently.

They also don't seem impressed that 40% of the starting lineup are locks to be 1st round NBA picks.

It's clear to me they have "same ol' Rutgers-itis". Can't bring themselves to acknowledge this team is oozing talent pretty much across the board. Have they ever seen a game at the RAC? This team is not losing a home game and will win most of their road games.

Reactions: Wagram97
Seems clear the blue ribbon "experts" don't think much of Derkack, Martini, Acuff, PJ, JWill, JMack, BigE, Lathan, Dortch, or Grant. Just a bunch of stiffs, apparently.

They also don't seem impressed that 40% of the starting lineup are locks to be 1st round NBA picks.

It's clear to me they have "same ol' Rutgers-itis". Can't bring themselves to acknowledge this team is oozing talent pretty much across the board. Have they ever seen a game at the RAC? This team is not losing a home game and will win most of their road games.
That should introduce some nice odds for Rutgers fans.. or trap odds.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
No offense, but why do we care? Why does nj.com wire an article about this?

Predictors of the future are not terribly accurate. Their production should not impact Rutgers performance one bit.

We will be who we are and our record will reflect who we are. Finding out will be fun.
Loyal

Last edited:
No offense, but why do we care? Why does nj.com wire an article about this?

Predictors of the future are not terribly accurate. Their production should not impact Rutgers performance one bit.

We will be who we are and our rescues will reflect who we are. Finding out will be fun.
Loyal

You know the rules.
If they rank us low: they are clueless, only look at the jersey name, have no understanding of Rutgers and do no research
If they rank us high: they did their research and actually understand basketball

It looks like NJ.com does this every year.
Last year it appears Blue Ribbon predicted us 9th in the Big Ten.
I'm sure many were upset at that "low" ranking last year as well and probably called them clueless?
https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...are-saying-about-2023-24-scarlet-knights.html

Predicting our basketball team to finish 15th out of 18 in the B1G is almost as bad as Barrett Sallee predicting Rutgers football to go 2-10 in football (0-9 in the Big Ten).

Both predictions are absolutely LUDICROUS.

When we had a good big man game, Jay Young was here. Think CJ Gettys. Very excited for Young to be back. Years ago I would send him emails and he would always get back explaining game plan, etc. Great guy for sure who is very passionate and knows how to teach. I am confident if he was here with Cliff, Cliff would have progressed more.

I am happy the rankings are not super high. Easier to keep these guys level headed. I love this team. It may be one of my favorites personalities wise. Just great kids who can ball at high levels. Chemistry is solid!

RRRRRRRRR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT