ADVERTISEMENT

Thud 📉 Yara leaving

New York Yankees Smh GIF by MLB

You know when this thread started I almost said something about not banking on what he says coming off the mat in the moment, but didn't want to jinx it.

I don't have a problem with guys seeing what their worth is. Michigan poached him last night or today.
Just wild he was at practice yesterday though.. gotta wonder if transferring was ever on his mind before that or it’s that easy to have quick change of heart after a call.

Reactions: Leonard23
Strange Michigan is targeting the #7 heavy. I figured they would have higher standards given their past success at that weight. BUT, it is only a one year rental. So there's that.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
There is absolutely no doubt that school hopping will have a negative impact on college fandom. It’s just impossible (and stupid) to get invested in any of these kids.
College wrestling will evolve quickly into an individual sport. The athlete will decide each year what team he will be training with that season, including dual meets and some tournaments. His focus will be 100% on the national tournament. The fans will quickly adapt and have the same mentality. The dual meets will basically be exhibitions and the fans will be there to watch wrestling, and cheer on the Dear Old Rutgers roster of the year. I expect donations across the board to drop sharply. Businesses that want to sponsor a top athlete who will compete for a national title can surely do just that. I don't see how the rest get funded. See you next season. $$$$

Last edited:
College wrestling will evolve quickly into an individual sport. The athlete will decide each year what team he will be training with that season, including dual meets and some tournaments. His focus will be 100% on the national tournament. The fans will quickly adapt and have the same mentality. The dual meets will basically be exhibitions and the fans will be there to watch wrestling, and cheer on the Dear Old Rutgers roster of the year. I expect donations across the board to drop sharply. Businesses that want to sponsor a top athlete who will compete for a national title can surely do just that. I don't see how the rest get funded. See you next season. $$$$
I don’t things are that bleak. Build a really strong culture and a program that develops kids athletically, academically and provides a road map for their future success off the mat (supplemented by strategic NIL based on athletic, academic and cultural fit) and the program will retain the kids they want to keep. Not sure we are where we need to be in this regard.

Michigan courting Hendrickson makes more sense from a MU perspective. Maybe he goes there and Yara stays??

There is absolutely no doubt that school hopping will have a negative impact on college fandom. It’s just impossible (and stupid) to get invested in any of these kids.
Which is why I route for the uniform regardless of who is wearing it. These young athletes will come and go, sometimes we’ll win sometimes we’ll lose. It is what it is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT