ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College Coach and Players Post Game Videos

Hafley says all the right things. Love the “Shoulda won for losers. “. I can see him either getting it done at BC or moving up the ranks very shortly.

Reactions: FMT and beaced
Didn't realize BC Oline was that depleted and young

Yeah but if BC knew it and our media didn’t . What a Piss poor job by the beat guys and column guys like politi

If you listen to Politi's podcast you would hear them say that they all had to sign agreements about what they could and could not disclose about what they see/hear at practices. Schiano wants everything locked down, and, because they want access to practice they have no option except to follow the rules.

Hell, I was talking to Wimsatt's mother this AM & she said Gavin would not tell her if he was starting or not because he didn't want to get in trouble.

If you listen to Politi's podcast you would hear them say that they all had to sign agreements about what they could and could not disclose about what they see/hear at practices. Schiano wants everything locked down, and, because they want access to practice they have no option except to follow the rules.

Hell, I was talking to Wimsatt's mother this AM & she said Gavin would not tell her if he was starting or not because he didn't want to get in trouble.
That’s pathetic . What kind of reporting is that

Yes, I like Hafley based on this video. Straight shooter. I wish him success, although maybe not too much at BC.
I have no problem with Hafley but all the talk on here about him being a better coach than Schiano should stop after this game. We probably win anyway but Hafley’s decision to punt at the end of the game was almost as bad as Frost’s onside kick last week. We went 3 and out (best outcome possible for BC) and there was still only 17 seconds left on the game clock. It was a really bad call there not to go for it.

I have no problem with Hafley but all the talk on here about him being a better coach than Schiano should stop after this game. We probably win anyway but Hafley’s decision to punt at the end of the game was almost as bad as Frost’s onside kick last week. We went 3 and out (best outcome possible for BC) and there was still only 17 seconds left on the game clock. It was a really bad call there not to go for it.
On 4th and 25??

• Haha
Reactions: patk89 and eddynyse
On 4th and 25??

Run out of the end zone for the safety. Take a shot at the on side kick or even kick it away, get the stop and have ball near your 40 yd line rather than inside the 10. Either way only down 3 so FG still keeps game going.

Reactions: RC71
Run out of the end zone for the safety. Take a shot at the on side kick or even kick it away, get the stop and have ball near your 40 yd line rather than inside the 10. Either way only down 3 so FG still keeps game going.
BC should not have taken a safety down 1. How can someone criticize the coach and then suggest this?

Reactions: rurichdog
BC should not have taken a safety down 1. How can someone criticize the coach and then suggest this?

Because we saw the alternative. BC got the stop on 3 downs and assuming they didn’t rough our punter they would’ve had the ball inside their 20 yard line with under 20 seconds and no TOs.

Note: Bill Belichick famously took an intentional safety back in 2003 to beat the Broncos. But, yeah, have a laugh. Haha.

Because we saw the alternative. BC got the stop on 3 downs and assuming they didn’t rough our punter they would’ve had the ball inside their 20 yard line with under 20 seconds and no TOs.
A safety gives you a free kick from your own 20. Puts you in the same spot down 3 instead of 1. 5 or more less seconds. How does that improve your chances exactly?

Reactions: CJ1987
A safety gives you a free kick from your own 20. Puts you in the same spot down 3 instead of 1. 5 or more less seconds. How does that improve your chances exactly?
Anybody have data on probability of fumbling a punt (and or having it blocked) vrs onside kick recovery?

You have the option to try and recover the free kick or you punt it away improve field position by 15-20 yards.

You have the option to try and recover the free kick or you punt it away improve field position by 15-20 yards.
There are circumstances where to take a safety. Normally when you are up 6 with very little time on the clock and punting from inside your end zone. You don’t take a safety when it is going to make the score harder for you to win. Down 3 is much different than down 1. No coach has ever taken a safety in that circumstance.

There are circumstances where to take a safety. Normally when you are up 6 with very little time on the clock and punting from inside your end zone. You don’t take a safety when it is going to make the score harder for you to win. Down 3 is much different than down 1. No coach has ever taken a safety in that circumstance.

The greatest coach of all time did (as I already posted). And in that position you’re not worrying about winning. You want to keep the game going.

Yes - this. But alternatively (as the link I attached from BC media correctly points out) going for it, failing, and allowing us to score a TD immediately gets BC the ball back down 8 with real time to run a drive off a kick off return.

Instead - they choose not to even attempt to convert the 4th and 25 (they already converted a 3rd and long earlier in the game) with math that quite literally put them in a best case scenerio of 17 seconds left on the clock (after a 3 and out) facing the best punter in the country on the return. Literally the only argument for taking this approach would be expecting RU to commit penalties for them to stop the clock. There’s a reason we didn’t convert by the way. That last drive was one of the few situations where it’s always correct to play to not lose. Which we did. There was no way we were going to run anything that put us in a position to commit a holding penalty.

Reactions: robcac26
Yes - this. But alternatively (as the link I attached from BC media correctly points out) going for it, failing, and allowing us to score a TD immediately gets BC the ball back down 8 with real time to run a drive off a kick off return.

Instead - they choose not to even attempt to convert the 4th and 25 (they already converted a 3rd and long earlier in the game) with math that quite literally put them in a best case scenerio of 17 seconds left on the clock (after a 3 and out) facing the best punter in the country on the return. Literally the only argument for taking this approach would be expecting RU to commit penalties for them to stop the clock. There’s a reason we didn’t convert by the way. That last drive was one of the few situations where it’s always correct to play to not lose. Which we did. There was no way we were going to run anything that put us in a position to commit a holding penalty.
I tend to agree that the call was incorrect, but only marginally so. Mostly because preserving time is much more valuable than anything at that point. But, most likely, without the roughing call, worst case they would have ended up in close to the same scenario, 10-20 seconds, no timeouts, 10-20 yd line.

The allowing us the TD is a bit of an assumption. RU coaches would have had plenty of time to game it out. And, maybe they would say, just take the TD. Most likely they would say, take a knee at the one. Milk clock. Take a shot on 4th.

I tend to agree that the call was incorrect, but only marginally so. Mostly because preserving time is much more valuable than anything at that point. But, most likely, without the roughing call, worst case they would have ended up in close to the same scenario, 10-20 seconds, no timeouts, 10-20 yd line.

The allowing us the TD is a bit of an assumption. RU coaches would have had plenty of time to game it out. And, maybe they would say, just take the TD. Most likely they would say, take a knee at the one. Milk clock. Take a shot on 4th.
Read the article. It breaks down just how bad the decision was. Again - odds were in RU’s favor to win the game but what makes the decision so bad is that it wasn’t one of those hindsight is 20 / 20 situations. It was blatantly the wrong call as there was no outcome other than a very stupid decision by RU that was going to leave BC in a better situation than the Hail Mary attempt from the 15 they had on 4th and 25.

Having more downs to work with doesn’t matter if you start a drive with under 10 seconds on the clock which is exactly what the situation would have been in even worse field position (with Korsak punting from midfield after a 3 and out).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT