ADVERTISEMENT

BowlMatchups

Army if they beat Navy for a 6th win.
Alas as an independent Army only has a couple of bowls to pick from and they might be left out by next week

I will be at the Pinstripe. All the others, including the playoff games, I will peek in and watch if available, but. From an interest and rooting standpoint not a big deal for me.

The only other games that I will make a point to watch are the playoff games.

I may put others on as background noise while I am doing something else.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
You have to have 6 wins by now. Getting your 6th win in the Army/Navy game doesn't do anything for bowl eligibility.
Correct. That is a price that the service academies pay in exchange for their exclusive window next week.

Time to bring back the Boardwalk Bowl.

boardwalk.jpg

The only other games that I will make a point to watch are the playoff games.

I may put others on as background noise while I am doing something else.
I really like watching CFB but unfortunately that's what bowl games have become for me. It's just not the same as the regular season for me. I'll watch the bowls here and there but I don't make a point to watch anything besides the playoffs.

Time to bring back the Boardwalk Bowl.

boardwalk.jpg
Really a fascinating story, this. A football game played indoors which preceded artificial turf! They rolled in natural turf and kept it alive for a couple of days.

While the Boardwalk Bowl was Division 2, the highlight of Atlantic City football was that the 1964 Liberty Bowl was played there! This was a big f'n deal. There were only eight bowls then. Utah beat West Virginia 28-27. The next year, the bowl relocated to Memphis where it remains to this day.

Reactions: colbert17
Other than the playoffs and of course the Pinstripe, I will probably not watch any bowl from beginning to end.

And yet, I LOVE the bowls.

I love the fact that during bowl season, whenever I have a free hour and feel like watching some football, I can.

Correct. That is a price that the service academies pay in exchange for their exclusive window next week.
Just another example of our Armed Services getting screwed. One Bowl like either the Military or Armed Forces should be holding that spot for the Army/Navy winner. Especially with teams like Jax St, JMU, and Minn all getting exceptions to be in Bowl games.

Just another example of our Armed Services getting screwed. One Bowl like either the Military or Armed Forces should be holding that spot for the Army/Navy winner. Especially with teams like Jax St, JMU, and Minn all getting exceptions to be in Bowl games.
First of all, if you want an exception you have to ask for it. I doubt that either Army or Navy did. If they had, and it were denied, I think that would have been well publicized.

That aside, this year was a unique situation in that both teams were 5-6. More frequently, you would have only one 5-6 team, if that. If you held a spot for a 5-6 service academy, that means you are stringing some other team along for one week, a week that they can't sell tickets. Hardly seems fair.

But back to this year's unique situation: IF:

* You know what the rule is.
* You request an exception (which in this case, there is no evidence).
* The request is not granted...

THEN: You have NOT been screwed.

Exception does not mean expectation.

PS - Neither JMU nor Jax St got the exception they requested. They got far less. In Minnesota's case, there was no exception. The rule was followed to the letter.

Reactions: Terry_2426
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT