ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball BOX SCORE: Rutgers takes down Madrid All-Stars

Nice to see Yeboah, Carter, and Kiss do so well shooting. Harper good, as expected. Team still needs to work on decreasing turnovers.

Reactions: Scangg
Who plays on this Madrid Allstars team?

Carter is going to have a breakout year similar to Eugenes. I love his upside. Yeboah also has a nice game but I expect him to be a more polished product going into the season.

Should have put my glasses on I guess. Lol

Just a look at who got the most burn:

24:20 - Baker
22:33 - Mulcahy
21:31 - McConnell
20:28 - Johnson
18:51 - Young
17:49 - Mathis
17:27 - Kiss
17:27 - Yeboah
16:57 - Carter
16:52 - Harper
2:40 - Nathan
1:43 - Downes
1:22 - Brooks

Seems like Pike was playing around with a lot of guards in this outing, especially in the second half since Carter/Harper scored 28 of their 34 points in the first half.

Any idea if this team played any other college teams and comparative scores For s little bit of relative compression

Mulcahy’s line seems about right. He’ll likely have both more assists and more rebounds than points his first season.

Reactions: RAA-1
We led by 17 at the half with Carter and Harper each scoring 14 and Kiss had 13. That was 41 of our 52. I don't think those 3 guys played more than a few minutes in the second half. I think the other 7 guys got most of the minutes in the second half. Baker was 0-1 on foul shots and Young was 0-2. I doubt that will happen too often.

Thought there would be more posts/excitement around a starting lineup of: Baker, Mathis, Kiss, Harper, Myles. @Greene Rice FIG may have collapsed after seeing the shot chart. Threes and shots in the paint is his fantasy.
I think they said starting 5 will rotate. No one mentioned 32 fouls which is almost strange.

I don't know how anyone can have a direct connection or reaction to anything from a player by player basis or any details on the stat line, when none of us have actually seen the game tape.

Fouls and turnovers in a scrimmage environment aren't relevant IMO....the teams that play faster in an attempt to get up and down the floor, will have more turnovers and fouls. I think 96 points with just 11-18 from the FT Line and 20 turnovers is a good sign in general. It probably means 102 to 105 points was easily within reach with a couple more plays made vs turnovers and a couple of additional FTs.

My initial takeaway is whether RU fans can get used to a team pushing up 35 3 point shots in some games, if Myles Johnson isn't a consistent option in the low post or doesn't become a better FT shooter.

I don't see Myles being as efficient or effective playing more than 22 to 23 minutes a game, so ir wouldn't shock me to see Shaq Carter emerge as a better option at the 5. He's clearly in tip top shape in comparison to where he started last summer and is quicker/faster/stronger vs last year.

If Carter shows his offensive game to match his work so far this offseason, his defense should be better, since he should be more mobile and effective on the glass.....that should allow RU to match up and play faster against the teams dont have a traditional 5.

Last edited:
Mulcahy’s line seems about right. He’ll likely have both more assists and more rebounds than points his first season.
I just watched the highlights from Rutgers and saw three assists from Mulcahy on that limited video. Now sure where the box score was from but he clearly had a better game than the box score indicates.

Im disappointed with the piss poor competition. The other team looks like a bunch of guys RU grabbed off the street. Theyre not even matching shorts

Im disappointed with the piss poor competition. The other team looks like a bunch of guys RU grabbed off the street. Theyre not even matching shorts

Illinois beat a team in Italy like 106-57 or something absurd. The point of these trips isn't to play tip-top competition.

Reactions: knightinaz
I just watched the highlights from Rutgers and saw three assists from Mulcahy on that limited video. Now sure where the box score was from but he clearly had a better game than the box score indicates.

Considering it got three players names wrong (Shag Carter, Caleb McConneil, and Montez Matheis) I'm not surprised some other things may have been recorded slopily.

Reactions: RUMountie
I hope none of you hoped these games would be an indication of how this team will perform in real games. These are basically summertime pickup games except they're in Spain.

They didn't even have matching shorts. 1 guy looked like he just came from the pool.

My understanding is that teams like this have "rosters" of 40 to 50 or even more guys and it just comes down to whoever shows up that day. So the guys we played were probably not quite the same as the ones West Virginia played.

I hope none of you hoped these games would be an indication of how this team will perform in real games. These are basically summertime pickup games except they're in Spain.
The summer runs at the the RAC were far more competitive and LOADED with local talent

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT