ADVERTISEMENT

Butch Jones out.

Former Colorado AD, current Cincy AD and soon to be USC AD got 3 at Colorado I had posted about that on the board. Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree (near unicorn fired after 2 years) and Mike Macintyre were all his hires...he got fired somewhere in the Macintyre tenure. Hired Fickell and now he's got the USC job.

I think he's referring to some here saying if Hobbs hires GS, he'll get a pass if GS fails cause there was so much pressure on him to hire GS. He's saying it's his hire be it GS or anyone else. I agree with that point. There is no reprieve. You're the AD who ever you hire is your guy pressure or not. If GS is his guy fine but if he isn't I'd say succeed or fail on your terms....less regret that way. Do the due diligence and make the best call you can and if you succeed great and if you fail you know did it on your terms....not someone else pushing you.

What I am saying is that Hobbs' only choice is to hire Schiano and he will be blamed in the event that Schiano fails or struggles to achieve what so many are capable of. That is why I referred to it as a no-win situation because his hand was forced.

Reactions: Knightmoves
This is turning out to be a farce. Why hire a consultant, say you are conducting a “nationwide search,”
and then hire someone who never brought Rutgers to anymore than mediocre bowls and left five
days before LOI’s were due?

What I am saying is that Hobbs' only choice is to hire Schiano and he will be blamed in the event that Schiano fails or struggles to achieve what so many are capable of. That is why I referred to it as a no-win situation because his hand was forced.
Unless he's really wanting the job, I'd resign and give the reason why publicly. You're the AD make the call that's why you're there. Yes boosters have influence and yes they should be closely involved but no the final call can't be theirs...it all goes bad that way. That's been part of the problem at FSU I was reading boosters getting too involved and no AD worth his salt willing to take the job or stay in the job.

Might as well make Brown or Towers the AD in that case....for all their financial contributions they deserve plenty of gratitude and involvement but the final call has to be the AD's. The AD has to have the backbone to pushback or leave or it's on his record too regardless of the pressure.

Reactions: mildone
Did you say that with a grimace and your fingers crossed? Because that’s how I imagined it!!

No fingers crossed. I was fine with Schiano 2.0 provided this was after a solid search. In my ignorant opinion, the only way a solid search was performed was if every employed head coach reacted with, "Rutgers? No thank you, not interested." when contacted by the search firm. Schiano and Jones could have been contacted directly by RU since neither had a current coaching position they needed to protect from scrutiny.

Reactions: Wolv RU and redking
Well considering there was only two people interviewed.

Rutgers must go all in on Schiano now or we are beyond doomed.

I'm still available. Give me a ring.

35f66bb645e5e11d370d8060c3cf7f56_400x400.jpeg

Reactions: rutger80
This is turning out to be a farce. Why hire a consultant, say you are conducting a “nationwide search,”
and then hire someone who never brought Rutgers to anymore than mediocre bowls and left five

I think what you’re really saying is you don’t like Schiano. So, just say it. You’re in the minority but you’re not alone.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Agree. Hobbs lost his opportunity to select the next FB HC based on choosing Ash and then sticking with him beyond season 3. The softball controversy also hurts Hobbs image.

Many of us are far more comfortable with the RU Boosters making the choice, since they will be funding a good part of the HC comp plan, as well as the fear that Hobbs might wiff again.

Umm...Brown was intimately involved in the Ash hire. What else you got?

Jones didn't want to be 2nd fiddle to Schiano. He knows everyone wants schiano and if he didn't come people, the media, high school coaches would make Jones' life even harder. We as a fan have created a unique situation. It's schiano or bust at this point.
Makes sense....egos. Schiano didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Steven Belichick at NE.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Jones is a big name coach whether you like him or not. He may have taken his name out because he does not want to be to be the guy no one wanted. I am sure he feels he can get a genuine offer for a good HC job somewhere once the positions come available after the season. This rebuild is going to a tough job, being the second choice that no one really wants probably makes it an impossible task. I absolutely understand his taking his name off the list. This way if the Schiano deal falls through he doesn’t have to refuse the offer and embarrass anyone.

That's not why he left.
If you know why he left please tell me. I certainly don't know. It's just reasonable to me that when Schiano let a kid he walk on as a long-snapper as a favor to a good friend he never dreamed he might have to work for that kid one day.....

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
Oh? Why did he leave? And how do you know?
To put waaaay too fine a point on this; Sciano leaves OSU for Tenn HC. There he finds out that he's toxic from his days at PSU. This may not be the case at all schools but he finds a new home at NE. But he leaves NE for whatever reason. What are his long-term options? He's 53 and at his peak HC years....he could go on for 20 years or more. Rutgers wants him and he would be a rock star here. I would give Schiano 5 years or more to get the facilities, staff, cache, momentum or whatever because I have confidence that if something isn't right he would understand the challenge and fix it. (Ash made me nervous from day one and was on a short leash). I expect that Rutgers would do it's part at its optimal speed (especially if he's gaining positive yardage). Where else will he find that today? Pump out a few pros again, go to a few bowls again. Do as well as some of the other teams are doing. Grow the pie....more for everyone.

If you know why he left please tell me. I certainly don't know. It's just reasonable to me that when Schiano let a kid he walk on as a long-snapper as a favor to a good friend he never dreamed he might have to work for that kid one day.....
Well I had been hearing rumors that he was coming back as coach dating into August (And the staff knew it). And also had to do with his accident at OSU.

But again just things I heard.

A lot of these whispers have been pretty spot on up to this point though.

Kratch reports that Butch Jones has removed his name from consideration.
No surprise. Not a lot of juice vs Schiano. No comparison. If this was before the ash hire ? Yes we would have jumped .

Jones didn't want to be 2nd fiddle to Schiano. He knows everyone wants schiano and if he didn't come people, the media, high school coaches would make Jones' life even harder. We as a fan have created a unique situation. It's schiano or bust at this point.

It wasn't just the fans who created this situation.

The donors did it.
The Star Ledger did it.
PJ Fleck did it.
The search firm did it.
The NJ high school coaches did it.
Rutgers football alumni did it.
Oh and did I mention the multi-million dollar donors did it.
Literally all of those people pointed to Schiano.

Honestly, I think if this deal goes through everyone deserves a round of applause because if we didn't I'd be terrified to see who we could end up with based on Hobbs judgement alone.

Also, if this happens and Schiano were to be a failure 5 years from now, I strongly disagree that Hobbs feet will be held to the fire over it. NO ONE is going to blame him for doing what literally everyone else said had to be done. Schiano is the safest career move Hobbs could ever make.

No fingers crossed. I was fine with Schiano 2.0 provided this was after a solid search. In my ignorant opinion, the only way a solid search was performed was if every employed head coach reacted with, "Rutgers? No thank you, not interested." when contacted by the search firm. Schiano and Jones could have been contacted directly by RU since neither had a current coaching position they needed to protect from scrutiny.

If you join premium on any of these sites you'd hear just how 'desirable' this job is. Hint, it's not. The candidate list after Schiano is not pretty, and even though I would've accepted Butch Jones he's not a very pretty hire either.

Jones is a big name coach whether you like him or not. He may have taken his name out because he does not want to be to be the guy no one wanted. I am sure he feels he can get a genuine offer for a good HC job somewhere once the positions come available after the season. This rebuild is going to a tough job, being the second choice that no one really wants probably makes it an impossible task. I absolutely understand his taking his name off the list. This way if the Schiano deal falls through he doesn’t have to refuse the offer and embarrass anyone.

I will eat a RU football hat if Butch Jones becomes a HC at another school this off season. No way that's happening. We were the only school desperate enough to call him in.

His agent had to have told him he needs to take his name out of our opening now before he officially became 2nd place and it's already too late. He just got a lot less marketable than he already was.

we're so screwed... again
We’re looking at no improvement and zero big ten wins I guess? That’s what screwed means to me.
If the recruiting article on the Round Table happens as they say, and we improve
dramatically by simply having better players on the field, will you acknowledge it?
When we start competing and games start going down to the 4th quarter, will you care?

We’re looking at no improvement and zero big ten wins I guess? That’s what screwed means to me.
If the recruiting article on the Round Table happens as they say, and we improve
dramatically by simply having better players on the field, will you acknowledge it?
When we start competing and games start going down to the 4th quarter, will you care?
care to say more about this article you speak of? (specific details not necessary.. ). btw i thought you were putting me on ignore a little over a week ago.. guess not huh?.. i feel loved

care to say more about this article you speak of? (specific details not necessary.. ). btw i thought you were putting me on ignore a little over a week ago.. guess not huh?.. i feel loved
I can’t be specific, obviously.
I can only say it was a tremendously positive recruiting article based on interviews

Perhaps you should pen an angry letter.

Butch & Greg have the same agent, Jimmy Sexton, Butch knows who is getting the job & wanted to make it look like he backed out before a new coach was named

Reactions: SCILS02
No. It is because he knows Schiano is getting the offer. It is typical for someone who will not get the job to withdraw from consideration rather than being passed over.

Completely agree with this. Schiano is a done deal.

Butch & Greg have the same agent, Jimmy Sexton, Butch knows who is getting the job & wanted to make it look like he backed out before a new coach was named
that explains a lot.. just like how ashole and hobbsy have the same agent

I can’t be specific, obviously.
I can only say it was a tremendously positive recruiting article based on interviews
you can pm me a little bit of this supposed positive recruiting .. as a man of my word i WON'T post it here or anywhere else for that matter.. cuz i'm curious as to why you have this "things are gonna be better" attitude

days before LOI’s were due
?
I love the stupidity of this line by Schiano haters and losers. He left on that day because he was offered one of the top 32 of his jobs in the world. Only smart people understand that.

Reactions: RU at the shore
I love the stupidity of this line by Schiano haters and losers. He left on that day because he was offered one of the top 32 of his jobs in the world. Only smart people understand that.
could've waited a week.. just sayin

Wouldn't that been worse when everyone found out he got the job 10 days earlier. Besides Rutgers didn't lose a commitment. But the crybabies keep bringing this up like it destroyed the class. It didn't.
i never brought that up as a reason not to hire him... i brought up the fact that with all the NFL talent he had, he still couldn't win a watered down BEast... and only a .500 coach... the B10 ain't gonna be friendly to him and that's why shenono is asking for so much cuz he knows he's gonna fail and he wants to milk RU for all they got

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT