ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Caleb McConnell a semifinalist for national DPOY award

ChrisNalwasky

All American
Staff
Mar 25, 2018

Here's a great quote from Wisconsin's Johnny Davis who McConnell went toe-to-toe with twice this season.

"It was really frustrating because Caleb McConnell is a really good defender. He’s definitely the toughest guy to face. He was on me the whole game and made it really tough for me to get buckets. He uses his hands and his athleticism really well. He can guard the one through four really well. He’s definitely the key piece to their defense and in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year. Every time he goes out of the game, I have a little sigh of relief knowing that I don’t have to have someone like that tailing me around.”

It would be extremely glaring if the Big 10 gives RU the shaft on this one.
Fans should not be surprised that Rutgers players fail to win individual awatds or even selection on all league teams.

The Kentucky kid should win it, he’s unbelievable

NBA scouts are watching him closely.
In his case, the attention is likely a positive not a negative for the prospect of his return.
He has an off-season to do some work reconfiguring his shot - one last chance to show next season he can improve it to a respectable level. If he can do that he’s going to make a roster. Those of you who think he has no chance are wrong. NBA teams need utility players and the guys who make it that way are often defensive stars.

Reactions: BillyC80
I really don’t see Caleb leaving now. He’s getting enough attention where he might even get some consideration in mock 2023 drafts if he announces a return for one more year. He has to work on reconfiguring his shot in the off-season - starting with getting his FT shot back to its form from when he was a junior class man.

I always figured Caleb for a likely candidate to earn modest money playing abroad. He may still end up doing that, but I can’t see him rushing into that if the NBA could be in play with another year of development.

I really don’t see Caleb leaving now. He’s getting enough attention where he might even get some consideration in mock 2023 drafts if he announces a return for one more year. He has to work on reconfiguring his shot in the off-season - starting with getting his FT shot back to its form from when he was a junior class man.

I always figured Caleb for a likely candidate to earn modest money playing abroad. He may still end up doing that, but I can’t see him rushing into that if the NBA could be in play with another year of development.
If we get Caleb another season it would be a blessing. Him, Paul and Cliff make a solid returning core. In absolute dream land we could get RHJ too but don’t blame him any at all if he declares

If we get Caleb another season it would be a blessing. Him, Paul and Cliff make a solid returning core. In absolute dream land we could get RHJ too but don’t blame him any at all if he declares
As great as it would be to get RHJ back, it seems pretty unlikely. There isn’t much he could return to do at the collegiate level to help his NBA case.

Caleb is in a completely different position. He’s kind of the opposite of the typical really good college level ball player that’s not projected to translate at the next level. He’s not missing the measurables. He’s not missing the ball handling skills - his handle is fine for a utility guard that wouldn’t be running the point. And his specialty is defense which typically does carry to the next level. He doesn’t need to develop into a great or even very good offensive player. What he needs is to be able to make a wide open shot more consistently and knock down free throws (which he used to be able to do). Those are things he could focus on with a shooting coach in the off season.

This is Kiss of Death stuff. Watch him get whistled for two fouls in the first four minutes of the Indiana game.

Not to change the subject because this is about Caleb and I hope he’s coming back but I found Ron’s answer about his plans and also how he could see himself as a pro very interesting in that long interview with Steve Serby in the NY Post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT