ADVERTISEMENT

Lacrosse Cali, Dad, Others...Thoughts on new FO rule?

It should help with parity. Teams with great FOGO can turn a game easily.

What was surprising to me is I have been at several lax tournaments this summer and there are a bunch of kids already trying standing neutral grip but the PLL guys are all knee down moto grip. So the kids moving forward faster than the pros...

It should help with parity. Teams with great FOGO can turn a game easily.

What was surprising to me is I have been at several lax tournaments this summer and there are a bunch of kids already trying standing neutral grip but the PLL guys are all knee down moto grip. So the kids moving forward faster than the pros...

I doubt the pros will institute the rule. It's more of an anything goes when you get to that level.

Can't hurt us, right?

I think it all depends on what type of kids you have. Some kids are just really good at getting at the faceoff but not as adept at picking it up in scramble situations or running with it when they do. The latter being imperative from what I can tell with the new rule. There are going to be more ground ball battles and the fogo is going to need to make plays when they get it. More athleticism is going to be required as opposed to just having that specialized skill set, which is still important. The transfer we have from St. John's looks athletic. He can run. I think it bodes well.

Reactions: Golfer2019
I think it all depends on what type of kids you have. Some kids are just really good at getting at the faceoff but not as adept at picking it up in scramble situations or running with it when they do. The latter being imperative from what I can tell with the new rule. There are going to be more ground ball battles and the fogo is going to need to make plays when they get it. More athleticism is going to be required as opposed to just having that specialized skill set, which is still important. The transfer we have from St. John's looks athletic. He can run. I think it bodes well.

I actually think this impacts the wing middies as much as the FOGOs. They have an equally important role in ground balls, whether it's being in position for the FOGO to rake the ball to them or disrupt the opposing winger from gaining possession. Still, initial control is still on the FOGO.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I actually think this impacts the wing middies as much as the FOGOs. They have an equally important role in ground balls, whether it's being in position for the FOGO to rake the ball to them or disrupt the opposing winger from gaining possession. Still, initial control is still on the FOGO.

For sure. Our wing play needs to pick up. Having Kirst is a massive shot in the arm. He's an absolute beast coming in from the wings.

For sure. Our wing play needs to pick up. Having Kirst is a massive shot in the arm. He's an absolute beast coming in from the wings.
I just looked at the GB stats for Kirst...didn't know his first two years he actually was also a face off guy, took tons of FO's for Nova his first two years which of course impacted his GB numbers...

His first two years he took 136 face offs...didn't know that...interesting

He went from averaging 2.4 GB's (36) while taking 91 face offs his freshman year to 9 GB's last year in 7 games...shortened season...

Be interesting to see how BB uses him...I watched him live last fall vs Loyola...he didn't play the wing once on a FO...but was the first offensive midfielder out of the box every time...I think he had three goals in that scrimmage...was impressive.

The kid is essentially a swiss army knife. You could probably give him a goalie stick and throw him in there and he'd make saves.

Nova had a good face off game so he probably wasn't need there this past season. Ideally, you want him coming out of the box and using energy there. He's lethal as an offensive middie and it's a spot we need a more production from. Even so, I wouldn't be shocked if we see him on the wings. He can play defense and and having him in those scramble situations is something I am sure that Brian will look at. He's always trying to get his middies in those offensive situations and Connor is the perfect kid to do it with.

We need to get better in a bunch of places...from front to back. It's all connected

Better control at the FO-X allows for better wing play
Better wing play which is aided by better FO play/control leads to more possessions
Better execution and play at the offensive positions (attack and midfield) lead to more goals
If you do the first three, that takes pressure off the back side defense and goalie and they play better
Better play in the middle of the field helps create havoc and unsettled opportunities in the scoring zone

Lots of room for improvement...and I think the biggest need was on offense and at the actual FO-X...Kirst helps the offense at midfield dramatically and a new and better FO-X guy can help change the ground ball game in the middle of the field...two big areas we need to improve on

And I think we did

Reactions: jreinsdorf
The kid is essentially a swiss army knife. You could probably give him a goalie stick and throw him in there and he'd make saves.

Nova had a good face off game so he probably wasn't need there this past season. Ideally, you want him coming out of the box and using energy there. He's lethal as an offensive middie and it's a spot we need a more production from. Even so, I wouldn't be shocked if we see him on the wings. He can play defense and and having him in those scramble situations is something I am sure that Brian will look at. He's always trying to get his middies in those offensive situations and Connor is the perfect kid to do it with.
Agree with that...the middies that can't play both ways will see time deteriorate

And my guess is BB will look to keep Connor on offense and fresh...BUT...if others don't show they can do their part, he will use him all over...and at the wing

Lol...I love that description...Swiss Army Knife

One other note...if there is no fall ball, I find it very unlikely that incoming freshman will get the reps they need to get on the field as freshman with no fall ball...hence, it's gonna be the couple new guys and the veteran group we have...Kirst is such a big get

Hope you're well Cali!!!

Agree with that...the middies that can't play both ways will see time deteriorate

And my guess is BB will look to keep Connor on offense and fresh...BUT...if others don't show they can do their part, he will use him all over...and at the wing

Lol...I love that description...Swiss Army Knife

One other note...if there is no fall ball, I find it very unlikely that incoming freshman will get the reps they need to get on the field as freshman with no fall ball...hence, it's gonna be the couple new guys and the veteran group we have...Kirst is such a big get

Hope you're well Cali!!!

Thanks, likewise!

Agree about the freshmen. It's all going to be new to them. Fall ball is when you get that out of the way and it's go time in the Spring. I know a couple were looking at potentially getting early minutes but I don't see that now. Having the transfer class we did is going to be really big. They already know the college game and expectations.

We need to get better in a bunch of places...from front to back. It's all connected

Better control at the FO-X allows for better wing play
Better wing play which is aided by better FO play/control leads to more possessions
Better execution and play at the offensive positions (attack and midfield) lead to more goals
If you do the first three, that takes pressure off the back side defense and goalie and they play better
Better play in the middle of the field helps create havoc and unsettled opportunities in the scoring zone

Lots of room for improvement...and I think the biggest need was on offense and at the actual FO-X...Kirst helps the offense at midfield dramatically and a new and better FO-X guy can help change the ground ball game in the middle of the field...two big areas we need to improve on

And I think we did

We definitely do but I think we will all be surprised at how much having an adequate faceoff game is going to help. It simply makes everything better and easier. The offense played so tight- they knew the had to be perfect because they weren't getting the ball back. For a team that wants to push pace, that's a really bad position to be in. Every turnover is a huge gut punch. As such, you recoil and stop playing how you were designed. Our D was getting worn down every game as the ball was in their end the whole game. With serviceable faceoff play, both of those issues go away. Not that we didn't have areas of to improve, we do, but being good at the faceoff spot eases the pressure across the board. I always get back to Loyola. Loyola as 21-23 faceoffs I believe. We lost that game by 1. No way do we lose that game if we are at even close to 50%.

We definitely do but I think we will all be surprised at how much having an adequate faceoff game is going to help. It simply makes everything better and easier. The offense played so tight- they knew the had to be perfect because they weren't getting the ball back. For a team that wants to push pace, that's a really bad position to be in. Every turnover is a huge gut punch. As such, you recoil and stop playing how you were designed. Our D was getting worn down every game as the ball was in their end the whole game. With serviceable faceoff play, both of those issues go away. Not that we didn't have areas of to improve, we do, but being good at the faceoff spot eases the pressure across the board. I always get back to Loyola. Loyola as 21-23 faceoffs I believe. We lost that game by 1. No way do we lose that game if we are at even close to 50%.
Yup...that was my main point...it's all connected...getting better at a spot makes the dominos fall in the right direction...Loyola was one game...another was Princeton...we were better statistically, but there was a point in the third qtr where we were tight...and they ripped off multiple face offs in a row for jailbreaks...a two goal game turned into a 5/6 goal game in a blink

We certainly need to GB better at the LSM and wing position...nobody can deny that...but having some better control at the X can dictate your GB success as well...

Most definitely. The D pole transfer from Yale will help out in that area too. That kid is a tough groundball machine.

Watching kids use SNG this summer I am fine with the rule. I think it will help some kids more than others. I have seen far less faceoff guys winning it directly to themselves.

Watching kids use SNG this summer I am fine with the rule. I think it will help some kids more than others. I have seen far less faceoff guys winning it directly to themselves.

I think that was the idea of the whole thing. Having athletic kids who win gb's and be a threat when they do is going to be what you want/need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT