ADVERTISEMENT

Can this site or fanbase start an NIL program ?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
If we all pony up just a little , we could probably organize some NIL dollars to our athletes. This stuff can add up fast like a go fund me campaign.
Any ideas ? We might have to go buy a few good recruits or pay current players for good performance.

Reach out to Hobbs. If you're genuinely interested in investing some time organizing it, it could possibly go somewhere.

OTOH, if you only contact him asking HIM to do it, rather than volunteering time to get thing started, that's not likely to go anywhere.

Hopefully the school is already working on NIL-related stuff.

Reactions: scripts
Reach out to Hobbs. If you're genuinely interested in investing some time organizing it, it could possibly go somewhere.

OTOH, if you only contact him asking HIM to do it, rather than volunteering time to get thing started, that's not likely to go anywhere.

Hopefully the school is already working on NIL-related stuff.
Thanks . Was reaching out to this site and fanbase first to see if there is interest. A $1 from me and then you and then everyone else can go a long way.

Thanks . Was reaching out to this site and fanbase first to see if there is interest. A $1 from me and then you and then everyone else can go a long way.
I would never contribute to anything as amorphous as "a GoFundMe site for RU NIL deals". I'd need to know all about who was running it, their background and how they're connected to the school. I'd need to understand how they will select players to make deals with and the nature of the deals, or at least the policies guiding the deals.

Perhaps you can find someone to pull together a business plan and get the ball rolling via an internet forum. But I think it'd be more efficient to get that ball rolling, and then present it to the forum when asking for donations.

See my point?

I would never contribute to anything as amorphous as "a GoFundMe site for RU NIL deals". I'd need to know all about who was running it, their background and how they're connected to the school. I'd need to understand how they will select players to make deals with and the nature of the deals, or at least the policies guiding the deals.

Perhaps you can find someone to pull together a business plan and get the ball rolling via an internet forum. But I think it'd be more efficient to get that ball rolling, and then present it to the forum when asking for donations.

See my point?
I never ran a go fund me or anything like that before. It doesn’t need to be that complicated, does it? People donate what they can and we buy recruits and pay our players .

If all the self proclaimed millionaires on this board each gave a measly $10,000 we would have no problems competing with even SEC programs. Of course we all know the BS that is thrown around this board every minute of every day, so don't expect much.

I never ran a go fund me or anything like that before. It doesn’t need to be that complicated, does it? People donate what they can and we buy recruits and pay our players .
The mechanism for obtaining donations isn't the complication, be it GoFundMe or something else. That's the easy part.

The hard part is all the stuff behind the scenes. If it is well-organized, with clear policies and goals, and if it has the support of the school, then I have no doubt RU fans would step up and contribute. I know I would, albeit in a small way to start out, growing over time if it proves effective.

I think it's a great idea. And, as I mentioned earlier, I really hope the school (i.e. Hobbs for someone working for Hobbs) is already well along in finding someone outside the university too get this sort of thing going.

The mechanism for obtaining donations isn't the complication, be it GoFundMe or something else. That's the easy part.

The hard part is all the stuff behind the scenes. If it is well-organized, with clear policies and goals, and if it has the support of the school, then I have no doubt RU fans would step up and contribute. I know I would, albeit in a small way to start out, growing over time if it proves effective.

I think it's a great idea. And, as I mentioned earlier, I really hope the school (i.e. Hobbs for someone working for Hobbs) is already well along in finding someone outside the university too get this sort of thing going.
If it proves effective!!!
That’s when your millions come out Mildy😊

Reactions: czxqa

See my point?
This is exactly why schools who have started these programs are putting big names on the board. People want to know where the money going. Joe Schmo from the message board has no clout but when you get someone like a urban meter or Todd Blackledge people trust it.

Bottom line while sure a few people might give but it not going to make a dent. You need a famous alumni and a big seed donation to have an impact.

If all the self proclaimed millionaires on this board each gave a measly $10,000 we would have no problems competing with even SEC programs. Of course we all know the BS that is thrown around this board every minute of every day, so don't expect much.
I think it would be more useful to think about people contributing annually rather than talking about any specific amounts. Think subscriptions rather than one-time donations.

And people pointing at others and saying "those others should contribute" never, ever, works. It only works when people do what they, themselves, can and want to do.

It's not like every person reading this will (a) have the same disposable income, (b) have the same level of interest in RU sports, and (c) have the same level of generosity. For example, I have a lot of different hobbies and interests. Some that are pretty expensive. So any assumption that my disposable income would all be spent on RU athletics would be a deeply flawed assumption.

And I would think that's true for many, if not most people here, regardless of their income or net worth.

If it proves effective!!!
That’s when your millions come out Mildy😊
I'm but a mere pauper. But I can always have more kids and then sell a few to help fund some NIL deals.

When there's a will, there's a way. 🙂

Reactions: zappaa
This is exactly why schools who have started these programs are putting big names on the board. People want to know where the money going. Joe Schmo from the message board has no clout but when you get someone like a urban meter or Todd Blackledge people trust it.

Bottom line while sure a few people might give but it not going to make a dent. You need a famous alumni and a big seed donation to have an impact.
Oh I got the big seed! My seed is YUGE! Nobody has big seed like me!

heh heh

Reactions: PSU_Nut
If we all pony up just a little , we could probably organize some NIL dollars to our athletes. This stuff can add up fast like a go fund me campaign.
Any ideas ? We might have to go buy a few good recruits or pay current players for good performance.

Looking at Penn State's set up this would have to be formal and structured. Separate and apart from the university although there could be communication. There would have to be a board of directors who I guess are the major donors/financiers and advisory board of athletes that would grab the headlines. In all likelihood you would need to set up an endowment so that if annual donations falter in some years the NIL payments would continue uninterrupted. There would also be a need for employees or volunteers to take care of day to day operations. I don't think a lot of $50 and $100 donations would add up fast enough for this to fly.

LOL. Very few people here actually donate to the FB program. I think a NIL account will raise about $87. Sad.

LOL. Very few people here actually donate to the FB program. I think a NIL account will raise about $87. Sad.
I don't and won't donate a dime to FB or MBB outside my tickets. I will and do donate to FH WSOC Wrestling MLAX WLAX. Football and MBB get enough attention from casual fans.

• Angry
Reactions: RUBlackout
We need some donors to start selling some good weed and send the profits to RU..It's pretty Legal now and who knows when it will be available for sale in stores in NJ

• Love
Why is my stance such a shock?!

Most people couldn't care less about the Olympic sports. I believe FB and MBB get enough attention from the casual fans and my dollars are better spent elsewhere.

Greg got his palace by kicking out all the other teams out of the Hale Center.

I love supporting the other teams as much as I enjoy going to football and men's basketball games. Me donating anything is more than most of the cheapskates on this board can say.

Last edited:
Why is my stance such a shock?!

Most people couldn't care less about the Olympic sports. I believe FB and MBB get enough attention from the casual fans and my dollars are better spent elsewhere.

Greg got his palace by kicking out all the other teams out of the Hale Center.

I love supporting the other teams as much as I enjoy going to football and men's basketball games. Me donating anything is more than most of the cheapskates on this board can say.
Nothing wrong with that at all.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
If you could do a monthly subscription like the Penn State site is doing how much would you donate?

$10 a month?

$20 a month?

$50 a month?

More?

Reactions: MrsScrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT