ADVERTISEMENT

Carino on Fan Perspective

There’s a difference between panic and concern.

If there were expectations on a tournament bid going into the season, and we were teetering on not making it in, then it’s panic.

If we’ve surprised and overachieved beyond what was expected going into the season, and we were teetering on not making it in, then it’s concern.

Reactions: Knightmoves
We have won ONE game away from the RAC and are running out of time. THAT is the reason for “panic”. That is a major problem. It’s not about being on a two game losing streak. It’s about a big hole in the NCAA resume. And I want to go before I die and I may only have 30 or 40 years left on this planet.

Too bad fans are worrying about something that isn't relevant. The amount of quality opponents home and away are more than enough and there is no panic on my part, as long as they win Sunday night and hold serve against Michigan and Illinois at home....winning vs Maryland is also a great opportunity to enhance the seeding.

The road win item is NOT going to prevent RU and their resume from making the NCAAs. Even if they won at Maryland, it's not as if the season would be over and we could relax. There are too many games left to play.

Iowa lost at Nebraska and gave up 104 points at Purdue and 91 at Michigan...they have a road conference win at Northwestern.....I dont see anyone questioning Iowa's resume, it is because they won at Syracuse???

This is borderline ridiculous to be discussing this....if the road games were all double digit losses, then it would be valid to discuss.....if we didn't convincingly win or have substantial leads vs Purdue, PSU, Wisconsin Seton Hall, Indiana Minnesota at home, all teams in the tournament field as of today, then that would be fine to discuss.

The road game nonsense is getting ridiculous. The amount of talented teams still coming into the RAC is huge and should not be taken lightly. If we win the home games against this caliber of schedule, RU is in the field by a wide margin.

Too bad fans are worrying about something that isn't relevant. The amount of quality opponents home and away are more than enough and there is no panic on my part, as long as they win Sunday night and hold serve against Michigan and Illinois at home....winning vs Maryland is also a great opportunity to enhance the seeding.

The road win item is NOT going to prevent RU and their resume from making the NCAAs. Even if they won at Maryland, it's not as if the season would be over and we could relax. There are too many games left to play.

Iowa lost at Nebraska and gave up 104 points at Purdue and 91 at Michigan...they have a road conference win at Northwestern.....I dont see anyone questioning Iowa's resume, it is because they won at Syracuse???

This is borderline ridiculous to be discussing this....if the road games were all double digit losses, then it would be valid to discuss.....if we didn't convincingly win or have substantial leads vs Purdue, PSU, Wisconsin Seton Hall, Indiana Minnesota at home, all teams in the tournament field as of today, then that would be fine to discuss.

The road game nonsense is getting ridiculous. The amount of talented teams still coming into the RAC is huge and should not be taken lightly. If we win the home games against this caliber of schedule, RU is in the field by a wide margin.
You refuse to acknowledge that winning a road game (or 2) would give RU a bit of breathing room (as well as enhance its seeding). The pressure to run the table at home is immense under your scenario.

To call the road/neutral record irrelevant is not accurate but I know you like being a contrarian.

We have won ONE game away from the RAC and are running out of time. THAT is the reason for “panic”. That is a major problem. It’s not about being on a two game losing streak. It’s about a big hole in the NCAA resume. And I want to go before I die and I may only have 30 or 40 years left on this planet.
I have been waiting for nearly 30 years and continue to follow the Jimmy Valvano mantra, never give up .

Gotta give you credit for consistency. To call the road game thing nonsense and ridiculous is truly nonsensical and ridiculous. I’ll take Brad Wachtel’s take on what’s important not yours.

We need 3-4 more wins. Other than NW on Sunday the rest of the home schedule is daunting and I expect we lose one of our remaining home games. A win at Wisconsin or Ohio State is just as likely as running the table at home. Wins at Purdue or Penn State seem less likely. The problem will be if we only go 2-2 at home down the stretch. Then a win or two on the road becomes imperative.

I'm, good with 3-4 and wins and in. In looking at BAC's analysis there only appears to be 3-4 bid stealers who don't outright win conference tourneys.

Bubble is weak this year.

Reactions: RUshore99
There’s a difference between panic and concern.

If there were expectations on a tournament bid going into the season, and we were teetering on not making it in, then it’s panic.

If we’ve surprised and overachieved beyond what was expected going into the season, and we were teetering on not making it in, then it’s concern.

There are DEFINITELY people on this board in “panic” mode.

You refuse to acknowledge that winning a road game (or 2) would give RU a bit of breathing room (as well as enhance its seeding). The pressure to run the table at home is immense under your scenario.

To call the road/neutral record irrelevant is not accurate but I know you like being a contrarian.
Your problem is that you believe Rutgers is presently an 11 or 12th seed, when they are a 7th seed. Winning one road game and winning our 4 remaining home games or going 3-1 , makes us 6th seed. If we win 2 of the remaining 4 road games , and win the same scenario at home as just outlined, we are likely a 5 or 6 seed for sure. You panicked fans are acting like we are close to the bubble and only have 1-2 games left. We have 8 games left. All of the Big 10 has the same number and everybody is likely to lose at least 3 more , everybody. More than likely 10 Big 10 teams are dancing with a chance for 11 or 12, with some going to be seeded 3-4, some others 6-7 , and a number seeded between 8-11. We are likely in the middle category.

On top of my reply above, you fail to acknowledge that Rutgers has yet to be blown out on the road against Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, and Maryland , arguably 4 of the top 6 teams in the league , and had halftime leads in 3of the 4 and late leads or ties with 2-3 minutes left. Everybody else, except Illinois, has been blown out and that includes Michigan State , Maryland, Iowa, Penn State, Indiana , Wisconsin and Purdue . We stand with Illinois , who has pulled out 3 road wins, 2 by a point or 2 in the last seconds and one impressively against Purdue, who we still have to play. Illinois is likely a 4-5 seed today and we are right behind. The difference is failure to close in the last minutes of the game. Why you cannot see that the failure to get blown out is a positive in the committee ‘s eyes is puzzling . When they look at the road record they know how tough the Big 10 is on the road this year, 2-3 times tougher than any other conference in the country , and when inspect the road losses , they will see by 12 to Michigan State in December when they were thought to be a national title contender , by 3 to Illinois , a 4 or 5 seed, by 5 to Maryland ,, a 3 or 4 seed, by 5 to Iowa , likely a 6-7 seed, and by 6 to Michigan on a neutral court , and they are likely a 10 seed. So breathe , don’t panic yet , and hopefully in another 10 days , you will figuring out how they are going to be coming in first place .

Your problem is that you believe Rutgers is presently an 11 or 12th seed, when they are a 7th seed. Winning one road game and winning our 4 remaining home games or going 3-1 , makes us 6th seed. If we win 2 of the remaining 4 road games , and win the same scenario at home as just outlined, we are likely a 5 or 6 seed for sure. You panicked fans are acting like we are close to the bubble and only have 1-2 games left. We have 8 games left. All of the Big 10 has the same number and everybody is likely to lose at least 3 more , everybody. More than likely 10 Big 10 teams are dancing with a chance for 11 or 12, with some going to be seeded 3-4, some others 6-7 , and a number seeded between 8-11. We are likely in the middle category.

exactly...look RU definitely has to win some games, its not a charity. No one is going to feel sorry for a team that implodes down the stretch, but RU has positioned themselves quite nicely. The freakout over losing to Maryland and Michigan is embarrassing for some people. Lose to Northwestern, then you can freak.

Right now RU is in a better shot to dance than Minny, Purdue, Wisky, Indy and Michigan....and there are tons of Q1 games left, after Northwestern, none of the 7 games would be considered bad losses...wins will be resume builders.

Wins at Purdue or Penn State seem less likely.

You're the third person I've seen who has said that winning at PSU is unlikely. Granted, it will be DIFFICULT -- like all Big Ten road games -- but PSU probably has the worst home environment in the conference, so I think we have a pretty good chance of winning there.

Yes, I realize PSU is playing like a top 25 team, and have really good offensive weapons, but without a great home court advantage, I think it reduces the thing that makes playing on the road so difficult -- a hostile environment.

I have never said that for the 100th time. The premise that Michigan Illinois and Maryland isn't tough is 100% wrong.

The concern is the combination of Geo injured for possibly a few more weeks still per kyk and the Young suspension. Harper is in a slump but that is a different category than a suspension or an injury so we should expect his play to improve. If Geo is going to be ineffective bc of injury and Young is suspended for multiple games then we have a problem and we need other players to step up

After Northwestern, there is nothing but quality games on the schedule. Just need some wins home or away

Any "panic" from me is not because we lost to Michigan and Maryland, but rather because of the WAY we lost. Specifically, our offense was abominable in both games, as we couldn't throw the ball into the ocean from the beach.

Adding to that are the aforementioned concerns regarding Baker (injury), Harper (bad slump/maybe hit a wall?), and Young (suspension), making it appear as if the wheels are starting to come off and Lucy is pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.

We need a win against NW in the worst way.

Reactions: Rutgers56

If you think that this year is the only year we will ever be in contention - then yes - please do panic as time may be running out.

If you see the progression from year to year that the team has been making under Pike - then enjoy the ride with the rest of us non-panic type people.

This stat Jerry points to regarding a consensus finalist for national player of the year (who is healthy), certainly puts Geo's struggles into perspective while dealing with his injury:

"Seton Hall star Myles Powell just went through a three-game homestand shooting 13 of 41 from the field and 3 of 21 from 3-point range."

We need 3-4 more wins. Other than NW on Sunday the rest of the home schedule is daunting and I expect we lose one of our remaining home games. A win at Wisconsin or Ohio State is just as likely as running the table at home. Wins at Purdue or Penn State seem less likely. The problem will be if we only go 2-2 at home down the stretch. Then a win or two on the road becomes imperative.
don't expect to loose at home, its a hudge selling point

Reactions: bac2therac
Please remember Sundays game is not an elimination game, were not broke yet & still have room on the credit card to keep the carpetbaggers off our back if we step it it up after a set-back

Sunday against NW is the closest we have to a must win game, as losing to a bad team at home would be really bad. After that, every game will be a battle and we could win or lose any one of them. Let's just hope we win 3 of those 7 to lock up a bid. 2 of 7 probably gets us in, but makes me nervous...

If you think that this year is the only year we will ever be in contention - then yes - please do panic as time may be running out.

If you see the progression from year to year that the team has been making under Pike - then enjoy the ride with the rest of us non-panic type people.
First of all, I'm not really panicking but I am concerned about our away from the RAC resume and what that will mean on March 15 if it doesn't change. And I am not assuming anything about next year or the year after that or the year after that. You cannot assume that next year will be better than this year. I remember the 1990 Rutgers Basketball team that basically returned everyone from a team that won the A-10 title, added Earl Duncan, Keith Hughes, Donnell Lumpkin, and Mike Jones and finished in the middle of the league and had a .500 record. We have a chance NOW and that's what I am interested in. I'm also a Dolphins fan and envisioned many more Super Bowls only to watch second year star QB Dan Marino never get back after 1984. There are no guarantees. We have a chance now. I want us to finally get to the promised land.

I'd hope the home/road issue doesn't bather anyone that much. We have had close enough losses on the road where intelligent people can make allowances for that. It only becomes an issue when comparing us to others for the last bids. If things go okay it will not be an issue.

As for the panic.. I think it has a more simple explanation.. it's been awhile.. 1991.. we want the wait to be over.. the anticipation is killing us and fear is mounting. I certainly hope the team and coaches are not feeling what much of the fan base is feeling and showing here.

BEAT NORTHWESTERN

I think we should be aware of the possible road red flag but its not something to worry about until we get to the last week of the regular season where have any idea of the map of the bubble

Reactions: KnightTerrors
Nope. You can’t see the big picture. I feel bad for some of you guys. Hand wringing and all. Enjoy this for Christ’s sake.

Reactions: Knightmoves
As I've said a million times, I assume we will lose all road games (until we start proving otherwise). Disappointed is a better term for me.
I assume we will never lose at home until proven otherwise. Of course that would be atupid but I’m just playing along.

Please remember Sundays game is not an elimination game, were not broke yet & still have room on the credit card to keep the carpetbaggers off our back if we step it it up after a set-back

Disagree to the extent that if we lose to Northwestern this Sunday, our chances of making the NCAA drop well below 50%

It would then require us to win a couple in a row where we would be underdogs on the road.

Put another way, the path is much easier with winning a game we should win...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT