ADVERTISEMENT

Carino on Mulcahy's adjustment and Seton Hall ticket musings

Good read.

Surprising season ticket sold has only marginally increased. Given the message boards optimism I thought that would carry over. I wonder if there is any football spillover where football 1st and basketball 2nd fans dropped all Rutgers tickets. After many years I dropped football tickets, but I am BB 1st and FB 2nd.

Good read.

Surprising season ticket sold has only marginally increased. Given the message boards optimism I thought that would carry over. I wonder if there is any football spillover where football 1st and basketball 2nd fans dropped all Rutgers tickets. After many years I dropped football tickets, but I am BB 1st and FB 2nd.

Optimism is only for those in the know (the diehards). For everybody else (including RU grads), we still suck. Whenever I talk to alumni friends and strike an optimistic tone, they look at me like I’m crazy.

Optimism is only for those in the know (the diehards). For everybody else (including RU grads), we still suck. Whenever I talk to alumni friends and strike an optimistic tone, they look at me like I’m crazy.

Important to remember that for all the progress we've made we were still the 12th seed in the Big Ten tournament last year. Basically where we at in the Big East tournament under Rice (finished 13th, 11th, 12th)

Reactions: MoobyCow
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed to see only incremental increase (less than 100) in season tix, but like the two posts directly above state, we're still mediocre-to-bad in the eyes of the general public. It will take a 2005/2006-like football "run" for casual Rutgers fans to really take notice of hoops.

This year, it's time.

3,100 season tickets for a Big 10 hoops team is still pretty pitiful. I'm amazed that they can't do better after playing some competitive and entertaining basketball at the RAC last season. Not sure who is in charge of marketing, but I suspect that they need a wake-up call.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
3,100 season tickets for a Big 10 hoops team is still pretty pitiful. I'm amazed that they can't do better after playing some competitive and entertaining basketball at the RAC last season. Not sure who is in charge of marketing, but I suspect that they need a wake-up call.

I wouldn't blame marketing. As a marketer myself if the product is subpar no matter how good you market it, it's a tough sell especially when there is a time commitment to each event. Trust me it's a lot harder than it looks, although I have not really seen any marketing my way for RU season tickets, so I would assume it may be a marketing error on their end when looking for target audiences.

Sorry just went full on marketing nerd there for a second...

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
Its truly mind boggling that a major state university playing in a power conference can't sell out a 8000 seat arena .Perception truly matters in sports and the public in NJ won't support losing teams.The die hards are such a small subset of fans needed to sell out the RAC.The culture of winning is still a work in progress.

Reactions: rume
Its truly mind boggling that a major state university playing in a power conference can't sell out a 8000 seat arena .Perception truly matters in sports and the public in NJ won't support losing teams.The die hards are such a small subset of fans needed to sell out the RAC.The culture of winning is still a work in progress.
We sold out half of our big ten home games last year going 14-17 and finished 11th/14th. Youll see the RAC rock this year as long as we exit OOC play with no more than 1 loss

The season tickets are not a litmus test because games are on Tuesday, Wednesday and not every Saturday or Sunday, when people can get to the games. Seton Hall and their season ticket sales are no different.

There are plenty of other options vs paying for more than half of your season tickets for games that take place in November and December.

Once New Year's Day rolls around, there's 2 plus months in the season and 9 home games left, plus 1 weekend non home game at MSG. 9 home games in 2 months seems like a lot but in actual value, it's not.

We never have consistently sold out this building why do people expect this now .
100% accurate. The RAC opened in 77-78 and from that year until Young left after 84-85 we made the Sweet 16, another NCAA and two NITs. We had players such as Bailey, Hinson, Battle, etc and never came close to filling the building on a consistent basis.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
The RAC Pass is 200 additional “season tickets” that they likely aren’t counting in that total.

100% accurate. The RAC opened in 77-78 and from that year until Young left after 84-85 we made the Sweet 16, another NCAA and two NITs. We had players such as Bailey, Hinson, Battle, etc and never came close to filling the building on a consistent basis.
The opponents we played at home were a little bit different back then, Rutgers had probably a couple 100k less living alumni, and the whole landscape for Rutgers Athletics was different as we were not in a big time conference.

In 2019 and moving forward, once we’re good, they’ll do fine selling out most every B1G and some non-B1G home games.

Reactions: Unionst
I wouldn't blame marketing. As a marketer myself if the product is subpar no matter how good you market it, it's a tough sell especially when there is a time commitment to each event. Trust me it's a lot harder than it looks, although I have not really seen any marketing my way for RU season tickets, so I would assume it may be a marketing error on their end when looking for target audiences.

Sorry just went full on marketing nerd there for a second...

I get that the product has been lousy. But last year was mediocre and this year should be better. Having said that, you addressed part of my concern. I've seen very little marketing at all, which makes me think that marketing (or lack thereof) is part of the problem.

Reactions: mikeylew1992
Lets get all the students there with free tickets this year. And a free walk or free bus ride.

Marketing department hired Mulcahy, Young and Yeboah

Reactions: RU-ROCS and Unionst
Every year we have these same amazed posts at the minimal interest in a program that has been a dumpster fire for much of a quarter century. And 3-15, 3-15, and 7-13 in-league isn’t going to move that needle in any appreciable way. Maybe Pike has it moving in the right direction. But the droves of departing and already departed fans have heard this time and time again—if they’re even listening. I remember when many of we fans on this board were excited about the job Mike Rice was doing. For season tix to reach big numbers, Pike will have to get where we want him to go, not just look like he might be able to do it.

The season tickets are not a litmus test because games are on Tuesday, Wednesday and not every Saturday or Sunday, when people can get to the games. Seton Hall and their season ticket sales are no different.

There are plenty of other options vs paying for more than half of your season tickets for games that take place in November and December.

Once New Year's Day rolls around, there's 2 plus months in the season and 9 home games left, plus 1 weekend non home game at MSG. 9 home games in 2 months seems like a lot but in actual value, it's not.

How many season tickets has SHU sold in comparison?

I get that the product has been lousy. But last year was mediocre and this year should be better. Having said that, you addressed part of my concern. I've seen very little marketing at all, which makes me think that marketing (or lack thereof) is part of the problem.
And to think I applied for a marketing position within RU's athletic department and they didn't even bring me in for an interview....... That one hurt the most

Reactions: RU-ROCS
People blaming the marketing department.....

How are you going to get more season tickets sold? Additional revenue brought in has to come close to the additional cost

. . . But last year was mediocre and this year should be better. . . . .
Mediocre? 7-13 in-league, and then a loss in the first round of the tournament for 7-14. Mediocre? If true, then a .500 league record would be outstanding. Now, RU certainly showed signs of improvement. And there are reasons to think things will get better in the future. Maybe this year. But last year they were still one of the worst teams in the league. Only two league teams had worse records. It ain't marketing. It's the product--particularly given what the product has been for a quarter of a century. Win, and they will come.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Mediocre? 7-13 in-league, and then a loss in the first round of the tournament for 7-14. Mediocre? If true, then a .500 league record would be outstanding.

For some perspective, .500 in the B1G has almost always meant a 20-plus-win postseason team, and usually an NCAA tourney team.

Over the last 10 seasons, just 6 B1G teams with a .500 conference record have missed the Dance, and 5 of those made the NIT. Only Indiana missed the postseason after going 9-9 in conference in 2017-18, but they were 16-15 overall (with 20+ point losses to both Fort Wayne and Indiana State).

Reactions: Scangg
With the amount of students, alumni and the large number of hoops fans in Central Jersey, it should be easy.

You can look across the many sports with season tickets options and make similar arguments. I'll bet it is skewed much worse elsewhere.

There are a ton of football fans in the tri state area with so many who follow the NFL yet the Jets can't sell out the stadium

I'll bet.......

RU hoops season ticket holders DIVIDED by people who know who Geo baker is

is GREATER than

NY Jets season ticket holders DIVIDED by people who know Sam Darnold is

OR

NJ Devils season ticket holders DIVIDED by people who know who Taylor Hall is

Reactions: Rutgers25
Mediocre? 7-13 in-league, and then a loss in the first round of the tournament for 7-14. Mediocre? If true, then a .500 league record would be outstanding. Now, RU certainly showed signs of improvement. And there are reasons to think things will get better in the future. Maybe this year. But last year they were still one of the worst teams in the league. Only two league teams had worse records. It ain't marketing. It's the product--particularly given what the product has been for a quarter of a century. Win, and they will come.
Mediocre is pretty spot on actually

I think part of the reason the season tickets didn't spike is there are lots of people who won't go to every game but still feel it will be easy to just buy single game tickets to the games they want to see and might be planning on coming to more games this season just not going for the season tickets

Looking forward to when we are mediocre in the BIG10. Ha

Podcast was a great listen. Carino knows hoops and you can tell he believes in Pike. I don't think he ever hated RU, he is just a straight shooter.

Reactions: RUDutch
I think part of the reason the season tickets didn't spike is there are lots of people who won't go to every game but still feel it will be easy to just buy single game tickets to the games they want to see and might be planning on coming to more games this season just not going for the season tickets

secondary market has a big influence here.

Winning will take care of everything....secondary market prices would be higher than ticket prices

People who want to go to a specific game wont be able to

pent up demand will make people be forced in to buying season tickets

Agree. If people think they will have no problem buying single-game tickets to the 8-10 games they can make with their life schedule, then there's no real drive to buy season tickets to guarantee seats. Once that becomes hard, season ticket sales will go up.

Partial plan sales have increased. That being said, the fact that we play in an Indiana high school size gym and can’t sell out every single game in a state with NINE MILLION people is terrible. Would it kill us to run some ads on News 12? If Jerry’s Stucco and Quicky Plumbing can afford it, we should be able to.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
If people are on the fence about season tickets, you can get full season tickets for $300 and if you don’t mind walking a bit, there are Free places to park.

spot on. I'm planning on every fri-sun game but don't go during the week.
additionally, it might be a small venue at 8k but those 300 level seats are brutal. Love the RAC but an arena with 8k seats lower in a circle would sell more. It would also help concessions cause once you get up top if you're older your staying put till end game and hope you don't have to pee.

[
Partial plan sales have increased. That being said, the fact that we play in an Indiana high school size gym and can’t sell out every single game in a state with NINE MILLION people is terrible. Would it kill us to run some ads on News 12? If Jerry’s Stucco and Quicky Plumbing can afford it, we should be able to.

Rather take that money and stuff it in Pikiell's recruiting budget

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT