ADVERTISEMENT

Carino Tweets and Link to Article

I just got done reading that article. They interviewed the head coach from St. John Vianney, RBC, and Manasquan. They all echoed the same thing. Jersey people want to watch the Jersey kids. The top kid from SJV is going to Princeton “which is a better program now”. Also said Stringer was not involved with the recruitment of Zoe Brooks, a top junior on SJV.

I am not at all an expert at NJ girls HS recruiting, though "terrible" seems a bit of a stretch.

CVS came to RU with a national recruiting profile, and she used it.

Interestingly, a high number of the players who made it from RU to the WNBA were all local: Essence and Matee (NJ); Piph and Kia (NYC); Copper (Philly); and Betnijah (Delaware).

Reactions: RUJMM78
I just got done reading that article. They interviewed the head coach from St. John Vianney, RBC, and Manasquan. They all echoed the same thing. Jersey people want to watch the Jersey kids. The top kid from SJV is going to Princeton “which is a better program now”. Also said Stringer was not involved with the recruitment of Zoe Brooks, a top junior on SJV.
I agree that Jersey players on the roster is a good thing. I just don't see it as many others who say Stringer bypassed the Jersey talent. From my point of view, she was always open to the local talent as well as Midwest, South, and wherever else she and her staff could be successful recruiting from.

She ran into problems when the Fab 5 didn't work out and people locally as well as nationally seemed to sour on her style of play. Her teams were known as the defensive-minded team that likes to muck up the game and try to win ugly. "The game had passed her by" sentiment seemed to be the consensus view toward her program.

We stopped getting the national spotlight because we no longer had the talent to match the elite teams when on national television.

NJ recruits stopped considering Rutgers. CVS didn't abandon the recruiting of them. She landed Daisha Simmons(top player in the state), Briona Canty (same thing the next year), along with the Neptune duo of S.Richardson and Sy Davis, C. Evans from Jackson, NJ. Brought in Alex Alfano(RBC).

Mabry's, K.Flaherty, D.Miller, O.Miles, numerous Shabazz HS players, B. Sykes(Universiy HS- now with the LA Sparks) etc. had no interest in coming to RU over most of the last decade. Betnijah kinda saved the program and kept us relevant enough to get K Copper, then Scaife, R Hollivey, and so on.

I talked to some coaches/overheard others who did not like the CVS style of play and directed their players elsewhere. Hence, we started having roster filled with players from other regions.

Last edited:
Stringer emphasized full court pressure defense which many opponents were unprepared to attack.The offense for many years had elite talent that could create shots off the dribble and the team was very successful.During the end of her tenure Stringer had too many players transfer and the coaching staff wasn't as good in recuiting or in player development.Recruiting top tier talent is essentail in a power conference with special emphasis on 3 point shooters in women's basketball.The NJ/NY Metro area is a hot bed for high school basketball.Hiring assistant coaches who are familiar with the local area will be important for Washington to get off to a good start in recruiting.

Good article by Carino. Wallace was last player from Jersey. That needs to change.

Also, yes it's NJ, but it's the entire tri-state area. New Brunswick is closer to NYC than it is to parts of southern NJ. Some of our best CVS players came from Philly (Shawnetta Stewart, Kahleah Copper, Diamond Johnson).

You can get a lot of talent in a 90min radius of campus.

I agree that Jersey players on the roster is a good thing. I just don't see it as many others who say Stringer bypassed the Jersey talent. From my point of view, she was always open to the local talent as well as Midwest, South, and wherever else she and her staff could be successful recruiting from.

She ran into problems when the Fab 5 didn't work out and people locally as well as nationally seemed to sour on her style of play. Her teams were known as the defensive-minded team that likes to muck up the game and try to win ugly. "The game had passed her by" sentiment seemed to be the consensus view toward her program.

We stopped getting the national spotlight because we no longer had the talent to match the elite teams when on national television.

NJ recruits stopped considering Rutgers. CVS didn't abandon the recruiting of them. She landed Daisha Simmons(top player in the state), Briona Canty (same thing the next year), along with the Neptune duo of S.Richardson and Sy Davis, C. Evans from Jackson, NJ. Brought in Alex Alfano(RBC).

Mabry's, K.Flaherty, D.Miller, O.Miles, numerous Shabazz HS players, B. Sykes(Universiy HS- now with the LA Sparks) etc. had no interest in coming to RU over most of the last decade. Betnijah kinda saved the program and kept us relevant enough to get K Copper, then Scaife, R Hollivey, and so on.

I talked to some coaches/overheard others who did not like the CVS style of play and directed their players elsewhere. Hence, we started having roster filled with players from other regions.
I agree you have to go where the talent is. But when you have 3 of the premiere coaches in the state. That run some of the best programs in the country tell you that CVS and their staff didn’t recruit their schools that is an issue. I remember a conversation with one of the coaches mentioned in this article many years ago and I know I have said this in the forum before. She said “ the next time CVS steps in this gym will be one of her first.” That is coming from someone that had multiple high level d1 players over the years and runs a top 5 NJ program year in year out.
You have to at least pretend to want local community involvement. You don’t have to offer every player but play the game and show up.

She did. Remember that she had attended some games at the same time as the MD coach was there (that was not a shot. )
Exactly, I posted on that. Brenda Frese, and CVS were in the gym together at Franklin HS. Diamond M. went south. Has had ok couple of years, nothing to get excited about.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I agree you have to go where the talent is. But when you have 3 of the premiere coaches in the state. That run some of the best programs in the country tell you that CVS and their staff didn’t recruit their schools that is an issue. I remember a conversation with one of the coaches mentioned in this article many years ago and I know I have said this in the forum before. She said “ the next time CVS steps in this gym will be one of her first.” That is coming from someone that had multiple high level d1 players over the years and runs a top 5 NJ program year in year out.
You have to at least pretend to want local community involvement. You don’t have to offer every player but play the game and show up.
Who was that coach?

I believe Carlene had ties to local coaches (she recruited the Neptune pair). CVS, like most Head Coaches, was always the closer on top targets. However, it's the recruiting coordinator that identifies and connects with that talent along with their handlers (AAU, High School coaches) to get them interested. Once we lost Law followed by Carlene shortly thereafter, the other recruiting assistants were not as effective in that area for whatever reason.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Who was that coach?
One of the three in that article. It sounds like all 3 have similar stories. I am friends with many high school and AAU coaches. That I have either played with or worked camps with in the past. To a man or women they all have the same stories.

One of the three in that article. It sounds like all 3 have similar stories. I am friends with many high school and AAU coaches. That I have either played with or worked camps with in the past. To a man or women they all have the same stories.
Great info, not.

Great info, not.
not my place to out a coach that is actively coaching and trying to get her players recruited. Check my record on this. I have said pretty much what these three are quoted as saying for the past 8-10 years. It’s not a new phenomenon.

Reactions: shields
The only time I ever saw CVS at the shore was when she was recruiting the Neptune duo. And they have a lot of showcase tournaments at the shore with SJV, RBC, Manasquan , etc.

Reactions: kupuna133
The only time I ever saw CVS at the shore was when she was recruiting the Neptune duo. And they have a lot of showcase tournaments at the shore with SJV, RBC, Manasquan , etc.
Coaching staff should have had an office in Hoop Group. The amount of talent that runs through there via camps, leagues and showcases would have kept them in the top 15 in recruiting.

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
As an Iowa fan I knew Vivian personally and was a huge fan of hers. I also wondered how much better her teams could have if she would have turned all that great talent loose on offense, both at Iowa and Rutgers.
YES!! Cappie and Piph could have averaged 30ppg! Easy!

She started trying to do so by the time Scaife got here. But by the end of the season she'd gradually reigned them in again, reverting back.

That was the pattern each season, offensively, from around Laney/Copper/Scaife year thru the Arella era. Some eye opening offensive games for a Stringer led team early on thru mid-season. Down the stretch of the season, back to mechanical, predictable, use the whole shot clock (too often not getting a shot at all) offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT