ADVERTISEMENT

Carley Lloyd & Equal Pay

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Very good opinion piece by Carley in today's sports section of the NY Times. Her & her team mates position is very clearly & compellingly stated.

Men's World Cup 2014 total payout - $358M
Women's 2015 World Cup total payout - $15M

US Men's share of 2014 world cup pool money - $9M (Round of 16)
US Women's share of 2015 world cup pool money - $2M for winning it

This doesn't include the inequity of sponsorship deals for the mens (greater) and women's teams I would start with FIFA as being the source of inequity but then again its really about economics as the men's game, for now, generates a lot more interest, sponsorship and ultimately revenue. US Men's team didn't play as many games as the women's team the last year also which is why there is a domestic revenue disparity

I have a daughter who plays soccer and figure the only way this will change if I support and watch women's soccer instead of men's soccer, not complain about it. More money and fan interest needs to get into the women's game. Even Lloyd said in the article that there $54K soccer league is subsidized by the US Soccer federation.

"Yes, U.S. Soccer has stepped up to support the National Women’s Soccer League — it also subsidizes our salaries for the N.W.S.L., at roughly $54,000 per player — and yes, we can get some modest bonuses by playing for the national team. But still, the inequality is jarring."

Isn't the payout and disparity due to the amount of popularity and the amount of revenue involved. I love watching the women play but it just doesn't pull in nearly the amount of revenue so unfortunately there is going to be a great disparity in pay. It's similar to the NHL vs the NFL. The NFL generates so much more income and the salary cap and salaries are that much higher in the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT