ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Catch RHJ on TV with the Raptors in July

He looks lost out there. Although everyone taking a shot the second they catch the ball hasn’t helped him.

he needs to get aggressive. Got all the talent in the world.

I hope his envisioned use isn’t standing in the corner while people huck I’ll advised threes and contested lay ups

I watched for 5 possessions and every possession he had a wide open 3 if someone just passed it. Where is the coaching? Do these penetraters think this will help make it to the NBA?

Reactions: BillyC80
Keep in mind these guys are competing with each other for jobs. Sometimes the same job. There not a team. They are guys competing for jobs. It explains why there is little passing.

nba summer league you have to create on your own.

I watched for 5 possessions and every possession he had a wide open 3 if someone just passed it. Where is the coaching? Do these penetraters think this will help make it to the NBA?
Agreed.....The positive is that he has not made any dumb mistakes, and is helping on D which is good. Doing the little things help.

Keep in mind these guys are competing with each other for jobs. Sometimes the same job. There not a team. They are guys competing for jobs. It explains why there is little passing.

nba summer league you have to create on your own.
Creating and making shots off the dribble is a essential skillset for the NBA .The NBA summer league really are try out games to see which players have the skills that professional teams are looking for.Passive performances won't attract positive attention.

Creating and making shots off the dribble is a essential skillset for the NBA .The NBA summer league really are try out games to see which players have the skills that professional teams are looking for.Passive performances won't attract positive attention.
I would think a NBA GM knows what type of role Harper would play on a NBA team. I doubt how he performs in 3-4 summer league games really moves the needle much. If his NBA job is going to be defend and take and make open 3s we don't want to see him taking it to the basket and force things. Play D, hustle, make the shots when the opportunity rises, and don't look frustrated when someone doesn't pass you the ball.

I only saw 5 possessions so I have no idea how he really did.

I would think a NBA GM knows what type of role Harper would play on a NBA team. I doubt how he performs in 3-4 summer league games really moves the needle much. If his NBA job is going to be defend and take and make open 3s we don't want to see him taking it to the basket and force things. Play D, hustle, make the shots when the opportunity rises, and don't look frustrated when someone doesn't pass you the ball.

I only saw 5 possessions so I have no idea how he really did.

I haven't watched yet but he was 2-4 from the field and 1-3 from 3.
Don't know what the shots looked like yet.

Game 1 he went over the top of a couple pick and rolls and the guy went right to the hoop for a basket/foul.
That's more on the other defender though and not RHJ.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Watched a decent chunk of all 3 games. It seems evident the priority for the Raptors this summer is seeing what DJ Wilson and Delano Banton can do with more responsibility. They likely told Ron to stand in the corner as a floor spacer.

I do think even given that instruction, Ron looks a tad lost. A few times he ran into a corner that was already filled, he rarely shifted to openings, and he never made a backdoor cut when available.

Fortunately his perimeter D was ok and maybe better than anticipated. It’s just odd to me to say “this guy is on a 2 way” and not at all try and see what he can do. But trust the Raptors - they have a great track record of development and hopefully their plans for him begin in the fall and not this summer.

As some have indicated above, maybe he's been doing exactly what they are asking him to do.
Ron is playing the role he will likely have in the NBA. He will not be given the ball in iso sets. He will be a catch and shoot 3 guy. He was taking the shots that came to him in the offense. Ron's an unselfish guy and never really was a ball stopper despite being our leading scorer for 3 years.
The other guys on his summer league are jacking up shots like crazy. Delano banton is playing so selfishly and his usage rate is way higher than he'll ever have in the NBA. Ron got the contract , so there must be something the Raptors like.

Ron is playing the role he will likely have in the NBA. He will not be given the ball in iso sets. He will be a catch and shoot 3 guy. He was taking the shots that came to him in the offense. Ron's an unselfish guy and never really was a ball stopper despite being our leading scorer for 3 years.
The other guys on his summer league are jacking up shots like crazy. Delano banton is playing so selfishly and his usage rate is way higher than he'll ever have in the NBA. Ron got the contract , so there must be something the Raptors like.
Exactly nova, they are also seeing him everyday in practice.

I'm reminded of the scene in Hoosiers when Gene Hackman's character benches No. 25 for hoisting up shots when he wanted him to pass (even though he was making them) 🙂 You don't want to be No. 25!

Reactions: runova09
Exactly nova, they are also seeing him everyday in practice.

I'm reminded of the scene in Hoosiers when Gene Hackman's character benches No. 25 for hoisting up shots when he wanted him to pass (even though he was making them) 🙂 You don't want to be No. 25!
You mean Rade? He also got benched for talking back but he won over coach when he clocked the guy who gave a cheap shot to Jimmy. Great story of how a team can beat more talented teams by playing unselfish ball.

Reactions: Skull83
You mean Rade? He also got benched for talking back but he won over coach when he clocked the guy who gave a cheap shot to Jimmy. Great story of how a team can beat more talented teams by playing unselfish ball.
I can never remember that character's name!! There's Jimmy and Ollie and Strap, but I'm always thinking No. 25 🙂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT