ADVERTISEMENT

Chancellor Dutta Resigns

according to some on this board, everything is a RU loss--try to control your negativity--there's so much more good at RU

Losing a bureaucrat who didn’t get get along well with his boss is a major loss for Rutgers? These guys are a dime a dozen IMO.

Either that or previous posters were correct when they say based on this we are so screwed. But I doubt it. There will be another suit to take his place shortly. Wash, rinse, repeat. Next.

What if the boss is wrong and the "bureaucrat" has the right vision for the future? Then it would be a loss.

The final verdict can't be rendered until his replacement is identified. Are you going to poo-poo this if you end up with a SJW appointed to satisfy the PC crowd?

I work for a living so I avoid Politicians & featherbedding Union Hacks.

In the real world, I could've completed the UMDNJ merger in an afternoon. Take the top 5 research $ and medical income producers players to lunch, make sure they are on board and happy. After lunch, call in the department heads to change the letterhead and keep the research & income $ sharks happy. After the merger rumor shit hits the fan, wake up the union presidents & their shop steward jerkoffs and tell 'em to get on board or GTFO. Hope one of 'em lips off and have security drag their ass to the curb as an example. Merger complete.
Laughable you think that’s possible

I think it was too early in his tenure to make a definitive judgement one way or the other. But based on his early performance and comments, I was looking forward to see what he could bring to the table. I felt that given his most recent experience, he was qualified to position us as a true B1G university. We'll never know. Unrealized potential is always a shame.

Those quotes are also nothingburgers. The problem is we currently have a school President who projects zero interest in athletics, so when someone comes along and just says the typical "investment in athletics doesn't hurt academics" (which is common sense) you all think it equals a guy who is very pro athletics when he is just acting like a politician.

The icing on the cake is this "Dutta predicts Rutgers struggling Big Ten teams will eventually perform well, he said."

What the hell does that mean when we fund half of the programs like they're D2? What's eventually? 20 years? Talk is cheap and I saw right through it.

If those quotes are nothingburgers then why put so much into his other quotes or videos then? Can’t have it both ways.

The position this guy held had no bearing on Athletics and the only way it would had a bearing is if 1) He became the next President or 2) Barchi gave him more power

Neither of which happened so let’s stop making such a big deal about this guy as it relates to Athletics.

The bigger concern is from a University perspective what actually went down and what the mutual disagreement was about. Everything isn’t always about Athletics.

Reactions: RUonBrain
If those quotes are nothingburgers then why put so much into his other quotes or videos then? Can’t have it both ways.

The position this guy held had no bearing on Athletics and the only way it would had a bearing is if 1) He became the next President or 2) Barchi gave him more power

Neither of which happened so let’s stop making such a big deal about this guy as it relates to Athletics.

The bigger concern is from a University perspective what actually went down and what the mutual disagreement was about. Everything isn’t always about Athletics.

For me it is. I don't give a damn about the academic side of Rutgers. The majority of that school and their professors/deans are a joke to me.

My understanding is that this has nothing to do with athletics,but rather concerns, as so many posters above have said, the distribution of power between the campus chancellor and the president of the university. Somehow Dutta got the wrong impression at his interview with Barchi about the amount of power he would have. I tend toward the view that the president should be a system coordinator, but I recognize that this is not how Rutgers has worked, even with campuses at Newark and Camden.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Sounds like he and Barchi had different viewpoints.

For me it is. I don't give a damn about the academic side of Rutgers. The majority of that school and their professors/deans are a joke to me.
That's said. It is a University, and not an athletics facility, after all.
There are some outstanding professors, deans and departments within the University. I hold my professors in very high esteem. The majority of athletics coaches could be considered a joke if you take the W-L records into account.

My understanding is that this has nothing to do with athletics,but rather concerns, as so many posters above have said, the distribution of power between the campus chancellor and the president of the university. Somehow Dutta got the wrong impression at his interview with Barchi about the amount of power he would have. I tend toward the view that the president should be a system coordinator, but I recognize that this is not how Rutgers has worked, even with campuses at Newark and Camden.

I wonder if, just by the nature of their locations, the Chancellors at Newark and Camden actually have more power/influence than the Chancellor in New Brunswick.

That's said. It is a University, and not an athletics facility, after all.
There are some outstanding professors, deans and departments within the University. I hold my professors in very high esteem. The majority of athletics coaches could be considered a joke if you take the W-L records into account.

Let's fund the professors and deans the same way we fund the athletic department and then see how their results would look. I understand it's a University and not a pro sports team. Why is it so hard for people at Rutgers to understand the two can be mutually beneficial to each other? It's the treatment of the AD that has always pissed me off about this place. Do it right or don't do it at all. That goes for everything in life.

Let's fund the professors and deans the same way we fund the athletic department and then see how their results would look. I understand it's a University and not a pro sports team. Why is it so hard for people at Rutgers to understand the two can be mutually beneficial to each other? It's the treatment of the AD that has always pissed me off about this place. Do it right or don't do it at all. That goes for everything in life.
I am completely supportive of the two and their mutual coexistence. It took them a while, but they got the AD right finally--third time was a charm.
Barchi handled the medical school merger well, and the implementation of the Honors College (not even sure if this is his project) has gone well. But his handling of personnel, as evidenced by the way he handled Tim and Julie, and now Dutta (maybe it is a bit on Dutta here too) has not looked good.

I think this is a loss, because I also believe that the chancellor should be running a semi-autonomous campus, and the president run the university system. But I recognize that this is a change in model for Rutgers -- the Chancellor position in New Brunswick was only created in 2014, and with a state-legislature-mandated separate chancellor for health sciences, there are two chancellors with some degree of control over undergrad and graduate education on each campus.

I was hoping that Dutta would have been the guy to help Rutgers move from a New Brunswick university with satellite campuses in Newark and Camden to a system with a flagship school in New Brunswick and separate schools in Newark and Camden. Unfortunately Dutta was unable to help Rutgers make that journey. I don't know if that was because Dutta believed Rutgers was further on the path, or he ran into resistance, or it was more of a challenge than he envisioned, or there was a difference of opinion on what the end point of the journey should look like.

But whatever the reason, I am sad to see him go and I hope the next guy can continue to transform Rutgers into the system model I'd like to see.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
move from a New Brunswick university with satellite campuses in Newark and Camden to a system with a flagship school in New Brunswick and separate schools in Newark and Camden

In what ways is it structured right now as the former versus the latter? I'm admittedly somewhat ignorant on the inner workings myself, but on paper, I'd like to think (hope?) it was the latter (Newark and Camden seem to be separate from NB in certain ways). I've come to realize that some administrative functions for all three campuses are centralized in NB when perhaps they should be handled individually. But would that engender more bureaucracy or less?

I wonder if, just by the nature of their locations, the Chancellors at Newark and Camden actually have more power/influence than the Chancellor in New Brunswick.

Perhaps, but consider that both campuses, especially Camden, are very small as compared to New Brunswick.

I think this is a loss, because I also believe that the chancellor should be running a semi-autonomous campus, and the president run the university system. But I recognize that this is a change in model for Rutgers -- the Chancellor position in New Brunswick was only created in 2014, and with a state-legislature-mandated separate chancellor for health sciences, there are two chancellors with some degree of control over undergrad and graduate education on each campus.

I was hoping that Dutta would have been the guy to help Rutgers move from a New Brunswick university with satellite campuses in Newark and Camden to a system with a flagship school in New Brunswick and separate schools in Newark and Camden. Unfortunately Dutta was unable to help Rutgers make that journey. I don't know if that was because Dutta believed Rutgers was further on the path, or he ran into resistance, or it was more of a challenge than he envisioned, or there was a difference of opinion on what the end point of the journey should look like.

But whatever the reason, I am sad to see him go and I hope the next guy can continue to transform Rutgers into the system model I'd like to see.

It's Barchi, not Dutta, who would have been the one to make that move. He's not ready. Consider, as a comparison, the University of California. Until 1958, the President of the University was also the chief academic official at Berkeley. Then a separate chancellorship was created for Berkeley, and the President became responsible only for leading the system as a whole. But at the time, UC already had two major campuses -- Berkeley and UCLA-- with Davis also an active campus. We at Rutgers are not even close to having that much in the way of separate large campuses.

It's Barchi, not Dutta, who would have been the one to make that move. He's not ready. Consider, as a comparison, the University of California. Until 1958, the President of the University was also the chief academic official at Berkeley. Then a separate chancellorship was created for Berkeley, and the President became responsible only for leading the system as a whole. But at the time, UC already had two major campuses -- Berkeley and UCLA-- with Davis also an active campus. We at Rutgers are not even close to having that much in the way of separate large campuses.

I get that. I didn't mean to imply that Dutta was responsible for transforming Rutgers into a system university .... that clearly need to be driven by the President and BOG. But to make that transformation, especially with the NB campus being so much bigger than Camden or Newark, the Chancellor in NB and the President need to be on the same page regarding timing and goals. Especially at a university with as much entrenched bureaucracy as Rutgers, the change is not something that can be accomplished by fiat.

I had hoped that in creating the NB Chancellor position, and bringing in a chancellor like Dutta, Barchi had signaled that the system model was a goal. I don't know if Dutta's departure means that the system model is no longer (or never was) the goal, or the timelines have changed, or if there is one of the other reasons I noted earlier. I am still hoping the system model is the goal, because I think that would make for a stronger Rutgers.

My guess is he is in his early 60s. I'm not sure he'd be considered to replace Barchi at that age.
Huh? Have you seen Barchi's age? Here's his profile pick.
arthur%20ritis%203.jpg

I'm going to double down on my second idea here. Based on statements form a University spokesman.

Dutta previously worked at other Big Ten universities where the chancellor was effectively the university president and carried more power, said Peter McDonough, Rutgers senior vice president for external affairs. Asked if Dutta was asked to resign by President Robert Barchi, McDonough said, "They had a mutual agreement."
"There was a mutual belief that this was not a good fit and that it was in everyone's best interest to just do what's best for the university and move on," McDonough said.
Before coming to Rutgers, Dutta was the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs and diversity at Purdue University. He was also the associate provost and dean of the graduate school at the University of Illinois following 20 years as an engineering professor at the University of Michigan. Those universities all have a more traditional power structure than Rutgers, where chancellors in New Brunswick, Newark and Camden report to the university president, McDonough said. "I think there's just sort of a structural, cultural difference in the role of the chancellor," he said. "It just didn't make for a good fit for anybody."

https://www.nj.com/education/2018/07/top_rutgers_official_surprisingly_resigns_after_1.html

Sounds like Barchi wasn't happy with an activist Chancellor.
Remember when the Barchi hire was just to make the UMDNJ merger go smoothly? What happened to that?

Maybe Dutta was promised or lead to believe that once Barchi was done with the merger that he would get his shot. Or maybe Barchi is leaving soon and maybe Kate Sweeney chose herself or the new Julie Hermann to take his place.

My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that Dutta's resignation had nothing to do with issues related to Newark/Camden/NB. That problem must have been made clear to him when he was hired. Instead, I'd speculate that it had to do with a conflict with Brian Strom, Chancellor for the medical school, which now has a strong presence in NB (and Newark). Barchi and Strom go back to Penn, so if a major conflict arose between Dutta and Strom, it's likely that Barchi sided with Strom and Dutta realized he was in an untenable situation. Pure speculation on my part.

What if the boss is wrong and the "bureaucrat" has the right vision for the future? Then it would be a loss.

The final verdict can't be rendered until his replacement is identified. Are you going to poo-poo this if you end up with a SJW appointed to satisfy the PC crowd?

If Barchi liked his ideas Dutta would still be Chancellor and not let go in the first year. The two didnt work well together.

The boss could be wrong but he is still the boss and gets to make firing decisions. That’s just the way it is everywhere.

Btw can anyone explain the replacement process for Dutta and how long it should take? Hoping that it won’t be another PC committee. Agree that when the new hire is made we’ll have a better idea of how Dutta performed in his limited time at RU.

My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that Dutta's resignation had nothing to do with issues related to Newark/Camden/NB. That problem must have been made clear to him when he was hired. Instead, I'd speculate that it had to do with a conflict with Brian Strom, Chancellor for the medical school, which now has a strong presence in NB (and Newark). Barchi and Strom go back to Penn, so if a major conflict arose between Dutta and Strom, it's likely that Barchi sided with Strom and Dutta realized he was in an untenable situation. Pure speculation on my part.

Interesting take. Seems plausible. From the outside looking in, I did wonder when they created RBHS and then decided it needed its own chancellor that it could cause potential confusion about who runs the show as well as a possible power struggle. The salary discrepancy of the RBHS chancellor is another potential source of friction as it's much higher than the others and is in the same ballpark as the president/Barchi's salary.

That would be the side that participates in athletics.

The players are student athletes so they are part of the academic “side”. Maybe you could argue some of the coaches are not academic?

I wonder how many “fans”like you there are? If it is many I think you have your reason for why there is not uniform support for football.

If Barchi liked his ideas Dutta would still be Chancellor and not let go in the first year. The two didnt work well together.

The boss could be wrong but he is still the boss and gets to make firing decisions. That’s just the way it is everywhere.

Btw can anyone explain the replacement process for Dutta and how long it should take? Hoping that it won’t be another PC committee. Agree that when the new hire is made we’ll have a better idea of how Dutta performed in his limited time at RU.

My guess is that the normal process will be followed and that Barchi will appoint a search committee which will recommend a list of about three to Barchi and the Board of Governors. The committee will be as varied as search committees are these days. I'd expect a decision from the BOG next spring. There is no reason to rush such an important search.

...I did wonder when they created RBHS and then decided it needed its own chancellor ...

Speaking of that, when RWJUH came under the Rutgers umbrella there was no name change that became widely known. Yet now the "Barnabas" name shares top billing.

logo.png

What about Rutgers?

Speaking of that, when RWJUH came under the Rutgers umbrella there was no name change that became widely known. Yet now the "Barnabas" name shares top billing.

logo.png

What about Rutgers?
Nine zeros will do/get that.

logo.png

What about Rutgers?

HUH? RWJUH is not and never was part of UMDNJ nor now Rutgers.

They do a lot of work together on research projects and RWJ invest in Rutgers a lot.

logo.png

What about Rutgers?

Upstream has it right about the distinction. That said, it would be good for Rutgers, or more likely, Rutgers Health, to be branded visibly (in conjunction with RWJBH) as it relates to RWJUH, the hospital. Perhaps that's in the offing now, with the finalizing of the official partnership between the two entities earlier this week.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...-create-new-academic-health-system/823551002/

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/...-rutgers-launch-1b-public-private-partnership

I think confusion about the Rutgers and RWJBarnabas affiliation due to the multiple entities and their relationship/arrangement as it relates to the academic side, the clinical side, and healthcare delivery.

Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) was created five years ago as an umbrella academic unit for most (all?) of Rutgers' health-related disciplines. RBHS oversees the two medical schools (RWJMS and NJMS), nursing school, dental school, pharmacy school, other health-related schools, research institutes, etc.

Rutgers separately established Rutgers Health in 2016, which represents the clinical arm of the university and the RH brand/network is responsible for administering patient care/services across the state in conjunction with conducting research and education.

RWJBarnabas Health is the largest comprehensive healthcare delivery system in the state created in 2016 as well. RWJUH in NB is the principal teaching hospital for RWJMS, the school. One thing I didn't realize until recently, and not sure if it's just a branding thing, is that RWJUH now also includes three other central NJ hospitals besides the original in NB (locations in Somerville, Rahway, Hamilton). All of these, along with several other hospitals in the state, are part of the RWJBH network.

Last edited:
But not the J&J building.

I'm not sure they were going for the J&J bldg necessarily, it just happens to provide a nice backdrop from that angle. Probably just decided on a nearby spot that captures the juxtaposition of the edge of Rutgers campus just beyond the rail overpass (with the Rutgers mark ostensibly painted on it) and downtown NB. You wouldn't get that with OQ, or with Waksman across the river.

If you go to the cafeteria at the hospital in NB, they carry Pepsi products because Pepsi has the license for RWJUH. But if you walk across the connecting bridge to the Clinical Academic Building which is part of the medical school, there is a cafeteria run by Rutgers Dining Services, and they carry Coke products, because Coke has the license for Rutgers.

Well, the concerned taxpayers of this state are taking up pitchforks and torches over being forced to pay for Dutta's sabbatical. Is it safe to assume now he's been forced out? Thanks, NJO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT