ADVERTISEMENT

Charcoal or gas at your tailgate?

Hydrogen...

H2Q-Infographic.jpg

Half Baked Boo GIF

For tailgating, I've been using the same gas Weber Q for 19 years now and it still works great. The 14.1 oz blue torch propane cylinder is fine and easier than dealing with a full size propane tank.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
Not true. Various charcoal smokers hold temps well enough that there’s no need to stay around. Did 3 racks 6 hrs today while not home and doing pork shoulder overnight tonight without adding charcoal.

I was talking about the one that I had.

I was addressing the ‘requires something like a pellet grill’ comment.

Ever try smoking LoBro ?

Nope, never.

Did a few racks of St. Louis ribs yesterday on the big Pit Boss. They always come out really good.

That’s my preferred cut too. As I said, did three racks. One of them 3-2-1 to soften to remove bones and cartilage to make boneless rib sandwiches. First time doing that. Didn’t try it though, gave to the kids.

For tailgating, I've been using the same gas Weber Q for 19 years now and it still works great. The 14.1 oz blue torch propane cylinder is fine and easier than dealing with a full size propane tank.

Sounds like you and I got our Q's around the same time!

Reactions: Leonard23
I've been using a Lodge griddle on top of my trusty Coleman camp stove for years. It is actually a very versatile setup for pretty much any kind of tailgate food. No cover like a real gas grill, but being able to grill up burgers or breakfast on the flat top, then quickly switch over to jambalaya or chili is great.

I've been using a Lodge griddle on top of my trusty Coleman camp stove for years. It is actually a very versatile setup for pretty much any kind of tailgate food. No cover like a real gas grill, but being able to grill up burgers or breakfast on the flat top, then quickly switch over to jambalaya or chili is great.
If you're looking for lid, just pop a skillet on top upside down.

Reactions: rurichdog
If you're looking for lid, just pop a skillet on top upside down.

Camp Chef has a few retail versions of that system. Two or three burner stoves with grill boxes and griddles that fit on top.

The tabletop version kind of sucks but the standing model is great.

Gas makes cooking so much easier but its annoying that you have to lug the big propane tanks with you and the little ones are meh.
For many years I have used a 5lb tank that literally, and in practice, bridges the two.

They are expensive and hard to find. Basically you'll need to order online. The only place I found them in-person was a Suburban Propane retail outlet. Which I don't know if they still have?

If you get the new kid at the re-fill station he might be stumped. Which is annoying.

But very handy and portable. Most seasons didn't need a refill using a Coleman Q grill. Never noticed any difference in operation from the 20lb.

71IwoKrQGkL._AC_SX450_.jpg

What do you guys like to use? I am one of the few assholes in Scarlet using charcoal with a chimney starter. Looks like the pope is being announced when I get the coals going at the start of the tailgate.
That's funny
web2-pope-francis-conclave-vote-jeffrey-bruno-aleteia14.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT