ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Collins just did what every Big Ten CBB fan has wanted to see their coach do

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
At the end of Northwestern's OT loss to Purdue, he went absolutely berserk on the refs. Got tossed with 1 second to and his team down by five. Completely got in the face of Courtney Greene, screaming like a maniac. Edy and Purdue were protected by the refs once again and the OT was especially bad. These Big Ten refs are just so horrible and there are even Big Ten fans on Twitter from different schools offering to start a go fund me page to pay Collins' eventual fine. The league needs to do better.

Was watching…the fan in me loved it. But then I thought about the fines he gonna get and the example he needs to set to his team.

Buie shows how an elite pg raises the level of everyone else.

Glad Purdue won but agree the ft disparity was bad and both teams played physical.

Missed the game . Did have northwestern plus 13.5 though.
How bad was the whistle for edey ??

Like Edy but he just shoves guys away with his arms and plows over players and gets no fouls.
It's terrible how they protect him.

Reactions: Scarlet83
The free throw disparity was 8 to 46!
How much worse can the refs treat them ?
Good lord thats awful.

In regards to the foul calls with Edey on the court, incredibly hard to officiate that dude. He literally gets fouled every time he gets the ball, but refs let a lot of it go. Think that's why he gets away with so many 3-second/traveling calls.

It evens out!

Reactions: bac2therac
Good lord thats awful.

In regards to the foul calls with Edey on the court, incredibly hard to officiate that dude. He literally gets fouled every time he gets the ball, but refs let a lot of it go. Think that's why he gets away with so many 3-second/traveling calls.

It evens out!
I get I’m biased, but Edey gets an incredibly friendly whistle compared to a comparable situation with Kofi who also got hacked a lot (what else is anyone going to do?) but got way fewer calls.

The free throw disparity was 8 to 46!
How much worse can the refs treat them ?
Well when your defensive gameplan is essentially to send a double team to walk straight into Edey every time he catches the ball in the paint like Collins likes to do he shouldn't be too surprised. Violation of the cylinder rule and should be called every time they do it, not just part of the time.

Furthermore, 10 free throws of that disparity were created by Northwestern intentionally fouling three times in the last 29 seconds of OT after falling behind by mulitple possession with the shot clock off and then of course the 2 technicals drawn by Collin's tantrum that he threw to set up his excuse.

Also worth mentioning that if what I read on Twitter is accurate that Northwestern leads the league in fouling. Even when they beat Purdue in Evanston, Purdue shot 41 free throws because that's how Northwestern chooses to try to guard Edey.

It's truly bizarre though that some fans believe the Big Ten is trying to help Purdue of all programs. Given their choice, the conference would much prefer someone like Indiana or Michigan State to be at the top of the conference. Probably Ohio State, Illinois, or Michigan as well. That list will probably grow by 2-3 schools next year too.

Well when your defensive gameplan is essentially to send a double team to walk straight into Edey every time he catches the ball in the paint like Collins likes to do he shouldn't be too surprised. Violation of the cylinder rule and should be called every time they do it, not just part of the time.

Furthermore, 10 free throws of that disparity were created by Northwestern intentionally fouling three times in the last 29 seconds of OT after falling behind by mulitple possession with the shot clock off and then of course the 2 technicals drawn by Collin's tantrum that he threw to set up his excuse.

Also worth mentioning that if what I read on Twitter is accurate that Northwestern leads the league in fouling. Even when they beat Purdue in Evanston, Purdue shot 41 free throws because that's how Northwestern chooses to try to guard Edey.

It's truly bizarre though that some fans believe the Big Ten is trying to help Purdue of all programs. Given their choice, the conference would much prefer someone like Indiana or Michigan State to be at the top of the conference. Probably Ohio State, Illinois, or Michigan as well. That list will probably grow by 2-3 schools next year too.

And Purdue doesn’t foul ??

Good for Collins for going off.

Ty Berry was blatantly tripped on a 3. I don’t know if I had a bad angle but the refs were awful with the foul discrepancy

The defender is plainly NOT vertical and is in Edey's cylinder. Edey is straight up or even leaning away and the NW defender's arm is in his face.

yVeTROo.png

The defender is plainly NOT vertical and is in Edey's cylinder. Edey is straight up or even leaning away and the NW defender's arm is in his face.

yVeTROo.png

The screenshot above is the position he got in after throwing an elbow into Hungers ear then turning forward. This is just one example of several terrible calls. See foul call below that ended the game.

This should’ve been NW ball down three instead put Purdue up 5 with 10 seconds left. Also non foul call on Berrys three that was obvious and he got hurt coming down on. It was a terribly officiated game. If 45-8 on FTs doesn’t tell a story I’m not sure what does.

yVeTROo.png

This

Just because Edey is 7ft4 with long arms doesn't mean he is entitled to space Its as if people want the defense on Edey to not have to abide by the rules

Reactions: TC4THREE and kcg88
The screenshot above is the position he got in after throwing an elbow into Hungers ear then turning forward. This is just one example of several terrible calls. See foul call below that ended the game.

This should’ve been NW ball down three instead put Purdue up 5 with 10 seconds left. Also non foul call on Berrys three that was obvious and he got hurt coming down on. It was a terribly officiated game. If 45-8 on FTs doesn’t tell a story I’m not sure what does.
He got the elbow to his ear because he reached in when Edey caught the ball and when he pulled his arms out to go overhead he brought Edey's arm with him. That thing next to Edey's face? That's the dude's hand!

QKyR1aT.png

The second one you posted was a bad call, I agree there.

And Purdue doesn’t foul ??

Good for Collins for going off.
Yeah in a 45 min game you can find many calls that you could argue just like any other basketball game.

Collins acted like the entitled baby he's proven himself to be. Perfect fit for that university actually.

Maybe Northwestern can squeak into the tournament again and we can all get a BTN special about their "magic" season.

It makes complete sense that the team with an outlier player (a 7-4 300 lb alien) would have an outlier rate of fouls drawn.

yVeTROo.png
Perfect example of Northwestern defensive gameplan against Edey. Keep walking straight into him and hope the refs ignore the body foul if you hold your hands up.

Then intentionally give Purdue 10 free throws with fouls and technicals in the last 29 seconds after the game is decided and cry about the free throw discrepancy.

It makes complete sense that the team with an outlier player (a 7-4 300 lb alien) would have an outlier rate of fouls drawn.
are you being serious? i dont have to have seen 1 second of the game to know it was a disaster.

there's no explanation for that foul disparity..none. its simply not possible...unless the refs are biased. which they are...because they're human

this notion that officiating is somehow fair and balanced is something people chose to believe. it's not true. never has been. never will be. and I accept that. that's sports

but pls stop trying to somehow rationalize it. when a player gets elbowed in the face, and its called a foul on that person. what?!?

just hilarious that anyone is defending the refs here. 46-8!!!!

In the Maui tournament Purdue shot 16 free throws to Gonzaga's 8 and 48 free throws to Tennessee's 30. I don't know if those were Big Ten refs or not. Against Xavier Purdue had 21 free throws, Xavier had 6. Against Alabama the margin was 28-14.

It's possible every single ref just has a crush on Zach Edey. It's also possible that throwing the ball to a skilled 7-4 300 dude forty times a game results in a lot of fouls being drawn.

are you being serious? i dont have to have seen 1 second of the game to know it was a disaster.

there's no explanation for that foul disparity..none. its simply not possible...unless the refs are biased. which they are...because they're human

this notion that officiating is somehow fair and balanced is something people chose to believe. it's not true. never has been. never will be. and I accept that. that's sports

but pls stop trying to somehow rationalize it. when a player gets elbowed in the face, and its called a foul on that person. what?!?

just hilarious that anyone is defending the refs here. 46-8!!!!
Unfortunately this type of attitude will lead coaches to the "they can't call everything" strategy Collins uses. They just try to foul everytime the ball went to the post and then cry about the free throw disparity.

If you had actually watched it, the disparity is quite easy to explain. Starting with the fact that ten of the free throws came in the last 29 seconds of overtime with Purdue up multiple possessions and the shot clock off. And Collins throwing his tantrum with two seconds left to try to create a larger disparity to cry about afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT