ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Hanson

Of course salaries have consistently gone up as basically all professional salaries trend up over time. If you can't believe there are basic economics at play then you've already made up your mind that cops are overpaid and don't deserve their salary I guess. I have 5 VERY close friends in varying departments of size and risk and they all tell my son the same thing....don't even think of becoming a cop, go fire instead so everyone will appreciate you. One was an accountant and another worked in finance in the city so they did'nt leave those jobs for the pay of a cop. Now if you want to argue Jackson or Holmdel should not be paid more than Keansburg or say Jersey City then I'm definitely on that train. But I have friends in all of those departments and they would agree that the pay is not based on the vastly different risk levels.
One of my Dad’s best guys (Vietnam Marine who son actually when on the FDNY instead of JC) on the Jersey City Fire Department said something similar…it’s the only uniform where they are always happy to see you.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreinsdorf
I responded as you said domestic violence is the worst they will see on patrol. I gave examples of murders, gun violence, and a shooting by a town officer. And that's your retort? Um...ok. btw, I agree if Jersey City officers make that salary. Very underpaid.

JC isn't even close to the most dangerous city in NJ but NJ is still among the lowest in violent crime in America.

Again...there was a family murdered in Colts Neck a few years ago, are you seriously suggesting that is the day to day for an average cop in those towns? It's not even the day to day in Paterson or Camden.

Of course salaries have consistently gone up as basically all professional salaries trend up over time. If you can't believe there are basic economics at play then you've already made up your mind that cops are overpaid and don't deserve their salary I guess. I have 5 VERY close friends in varying departments of size and risk and they all tell my son the same thing....don't even think of becoming a cop, go fire instead so everyone will appreciate you. One was an accountant and another worked in finance in the city so they did'nt leave those jobs for the pay of a cop. Now if you want to argue Jackson or Holmdel should not be paid more than Keansburg or say Jersey City then I'm definitely on that train. But I have friends in all of those departments and they would agree that the pay is not based on the vastly different risk levels.

That's the precise problem that everyone finds absolutely ludicrous.

The average salary for a cop in Camden is in the 60-70k range.

Also, someone who works in finance or accounting typically has at least a BA/BS if not also a MBA and is required to pass a battery of exams.

OTOH most cops in NJ require at most an associate's.

Meanwhile you'd be hard pressed to find a school district where teachers are averaging 146k and that includes the top ones where lots have masters.

Lol...what the hell kind of a statement is that? You dont realize the risks of a law enforcement officer, do you?

The potential for danger is there, each and every minute they are on patrol. One death in 30 years means theres no danger? Oh my!!!

That's a pretty awful misfire by you:

Fatal shooting in Jackson

Jackson woman murdered husband

.Jackson resident shot at by police after violent confrontation (didn't happen in Jackson) but was a resident

Two men shot at Jackson Crossing Plaza

Self inflicted gunshot wound.

Should I continue. That search took me all of 5 minutes to find.

Jackson isnt the utopia you perceive it to be. Every town has it's problems PLUS the degenerates who enter it's borders. By the way, congrats to C.J.!!!!
not dangerous job at all, stats validate that

you have a less of chance coming home working highway clean up than you do wearing a badge.

The problem with police and the reason that even the strongest of supporters have turned on them is that they don't police themselves

JC isn't even close to the most dangerous city in NJ but NJ is still among the lowest in violent crime in America.

Again...there was a family murdered in Colts Neck a few years ago, are you seriously suggesting that is the day to day for an average cop in those towns? It's not even the day to day in Paterson or Camden.
I thought I tried to make it as simple as possible for you to understand but let me try one last time and then I'm done. Here is your quote "A town like Jackson the worst you will see is domestic violence, " I gave you multiple instances where that wasn't true. End of discussion. I'm not sure why you are rambling on about towns like Colts Neck and I never "seriously suggested" anything you are implying. Colts Neck has nothing to do with your highlighted statement nor did I ever say Jackson has a high crime rate or is consistently a difficult town to enforce. It's all about your declaration... which is false.
not dangerous job at all, stats validate that

you have a less of chance coming home working highway clean up than you do wearing a badge.

The problem with police and the reason that even the strongest of supporters have turned on them is that they don't police themselves
Stats?? What stats? Are you factoring in the way police officers are trained which mitigate and lessen the risk for harm? Do you factor that people tend to act a little differently when an officer is present which reduces the risk for danger? Do you factor in the defensive driving courses/tactics which lessen the chances of an accident? Are you under the same assumption that the military shouldn't be compensated appropriately because they aren't always in combat. As far as corruption and bad cops, theres no room for them, but I'll take a guess they are in the minority. When those "strongest of supporters" need assistance in a dangerous situation, I bet most dont hesitate to call 911 to have a uniform show up.

Oh, by the way, per Industrial Safety News "Working as a police officer is about 4.1 times as dangerous compared with the average job nationwide, based upon the workplace fatality rate. Police officers have a workplace fatality rate similar to maintenance workers, construction workers, and heavy vehicle mechanics." And that's with their training and expertise factored in.

Last edited:
That's the precise problem that everyone finds absolutely ludicrous.

The average salary for a cop in Camden is in the 60-70k range.

Also, someone who works in finance or accounting typically has at least a BA/BS if not also a MBA and is required to pass a battery of exams.

OTOH most cops in NJ require at most an associate's.

Meanwhile you'd be hard pressed to find a school district where teachers are averaging 146k and that includes the top ones where lots have masters.
I have not mentioned teachers salaries at all. But to clarify, I do think teachers are underpaid given how meaningful and impactful their profession is.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I thought I tried to make it as simple as possible for you to understand but let me try one last time and then I'm done. Here is your quote "A town like Jackson the worst you will see is domestic violence, " I gave you multiple instances where that wasn't true. End of discussion. I'm not sure why you are rambling on about towns like Colts Neck and I never "seriously suggested" anything you are implying. Colts Neck has nothing to do with your highlighted statement nor did I ever say Jackson has a high crime rate or is consistently a difficult town to enforce. It's all about your declaration... which is false.

Stats?? What stats? Are you factoring in the way police officers are trained which mitigate and lessen the risk for harm? Do you factor that people tend to act a little differently when an officer is present which reduces the risk for danger? Do you factor in the defensive driving courses/tactics which lessen the chances of an accident? Are you under the same assumption that the military shouldn't be compensated appropriately because they aren't always in combat. As far as corruption and bad cops, theres no room for them, but I'll take a guess they are in the minority. When those "strongest of supporters" need assistance in a dangerous situation, I bet most dont hesitate to call 911 to have a uniform show up.

Oh, by the way, per Industrial Safety News "Working as a police officer is about 4.1 times as dangerous compared with the average job nationwide, based upon the workplace fatality rate. Police officers have a workplace fatality rate similar to maintenance workers, construction workers, and heavy vehicle mechanics." And that's with their training and expertise factored in.

And the fact that there was about one shooting, not at a cop, every few years, is a sign of danger?

By that token when can teachers get paid 146k?

And the fact that there was about one shooting, not at a cop, every few years, is a sign of danger?

By that token when can teachers get paid 146k?
You are going off the rails and cannot see the error in your original statement. It's beyond the definition of obtuse at this point. I'm over and out. Good day.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
You are going off the rails and cannot see the error in your original statement. It's beyond the definition of obtuse at this point. I'm over and out. Good day.
You're forgetting for a police officer to prove he/she's worth the money, that cop must be in life and death situations every day. Not just taking crap trying to make the streets safe
Until then, every underpaid profession will be brought up and have their salary compared to them.

Reactions: jreinsdorf

Well, they did police themselves in a neighboring boro / town years ago - lol. Apparently reporting sick days was on a manual entry honor system "wink, wink" in their little department. Many had virtually no sick days after 30 years of service, and believe me, they were no picture of health. The department has since computerized but the cow already left the barn (with paid unused sick days)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT